CA - Christopher Dorner kills 4 in tri-county rampage, Feb 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LAPD lifts tactical alert in connection to search for triple-murder suspect Christopher Dorner
Patrols to be in conducted in cars
ABC10 News - San Diego
Posted: 02/11/2013
Last Updated: 2 hours ago

LOS ANGELES - "The LAPD Monday lifted a tactical alert that allowed supervisors to keep officers past their shifts in connection with the search for triple murder suspect Christopher Jordan Dorner, but motorcycle cops will continue patrolling in cars for better protection in case they encounter the embittered ex-officer.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Sunday announced a $1 million reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the 33-year-old ex-LAPD officer, saying the money came from "business, unions, government, law enforcement and community groups."

Police Chief Charlie Beck said the massive reward was his wife's idea, calling it "the largest award ever offered locally."

LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman said this morning that hundreds of local, state, and federal investigators have been sorting through more than 600 clues in their search for Dorner.

More...

I am not sure that was one of her brightest ideas, nor am I sure that he should have instituted it. JMO.

I just don't see how he could have got out of Big Bear without help. His truck was found on a forest service road, and some say it was stuck in the mud. So he burnt it & some say, there were drag marks around the truck. Dragging his most important weapons?

It may be that LE totally infiltrating the area kept him from leaving & IMO, he might have froze to death.

Or found somewhere to hide out but couldn't leave because of LE activity.

Once he can leave, all h#ll may break out. Hope LE is ready for him.

I just don't see how he could have got out of Big Bear without help. His truck was found on a forest service road, and some say it was stuck in the mud. So he burnt it & some say, there were drag marks around the truck. Dragging his most important weapons?

It may be that LE totally infiltrating the area kept him from leaving & IMO, he might have froze to death.

BBM

I was thinking about that possibility too: if Chris was stuck out there, he might have froze to death. Simple as that. Then again, maybe he is now holed up in a nice warm safe house, eating chili dogs and watching himself on TV. The speculation is driving me a bit crazy.

Agree that the LAPD wants to resurrect its damaged image with the public. But to immediately concede to the perp by reinvestigating the allegedly wrongful dismissal at this point in time without requesting that the perp give himself up is putting the cart before the horse. The LAPD chief should have use the negotiation ploy to get the perp to surrender himself first.

Chief should have announced in the media, "Mr. Dorner, in good faith, we're willing to re-investigate your dismissal from the force but only if you show yourself and surrender to the police. We don't want anyone else hurt, especially not you. We believe you deserve to be heard and if it is found you were unjustly discharged, we will make necessary remedies." But that's not what the Chief did. He stated they were immediately re-investigating the Dorner case. That's surrendering to a murderer and criminal, letting the criminal have the upper hand. Not a good course of action in my book.

Reopening the case was LAPD surrendering to potential and existing negative public opinion, not Dorner, but I can see how you might think otherwise. Your ploy wouldn't work with Dorner because he could lay down his weapons, wave a white flag and would still be riddled with bullets. He knows that. LAPD can't afford Dorner going to trial, and Dorner knows that too. No way this cop killer ever stands trial because he has already made good on a threat to harm their families. They want him dead yesterday.

Christian Science Monitor
LAPD review of Christopher Dorner firing: why black community wants more
Even 20 years after the Rodney King riots, mistrust simmers between the LAPD and the black community. Some leaders say federal authorities need to investigate Christopher Dorner's claims.

By Daniel B. Wood, Staff writer / February 11, 2013

"Los Angeles's African-American community is casting a skeptical eye on police chief Charlie Beck's decision Saturday to reopen the investigation into the 2008 firing of alleged cop killer Christopher Dorner. Twenty years after the Rodney King riots deep distrust remains, with some community leaders saying the Los Angeles Police Department cannot be trusted to investigate itself – and that perhaps even the US Justice Department should be called in."

We don’t agree with Dorner’s tactics, but many of us sympathize with his allegations,” says Najee Ali, a black activist and executive director of Project Islamic H.O.P.E. in Los Angeles. “But we don’t think the LAPD can investigate itself and come up with a conclusion that will appease the black community. We think the US Justice Department needs to do it.”

Others have echoed the call for an outside investigation."

Much more...

An interesting article, good to hear what some of the leaders in the Los Angeles area African-American Community are thinking and feeling.

Reopening the case was LAPD surrendering to potential and existing negative public opinion, not Dorner, but I can see how you might think otherwise. Your ploy wouldn't work with Dorner because he could lay down his weapons, wave a white flag and would still be riddled with bullets. He knows that. LAPD can't afford Dorner going to trial, and Dorner knows that too. No way this cop killer ever stands trial because he has already made good on a threat to harm their families. They want him dead yesterday.
That may very well be. However their job is not to be judge, jury, and executioner. LE is not, and should never be, above the law.

That's what I said. LAPD did it to assuage public opinion.

I disagree that LE would unhesitatingly open fire on Dorner, especially with the negative publicity and media storm brewing. Perhaps before the negative public reactions. No, at this point in time LAPD would try their darndest to bring Dorner in without physically harming him, if only to present the (specious) image that they are doing the right thing for the people.

He might have been dragging a motorcycle some distance. Whatever he was dragging would have left some evidence, but then we're not in the need to know category.

BBM

I was thinking about that possibility too: if Chris was stuck out there, he might have froze to death. Simple as that. Then again, maybe he is now holed up in a nice warm safe house, eating chili dogs and watching himself on TV. The speculation is driving me a bit crazy.

I have been thinkin all day about him. OK so lets say he did freeze to death. What if they never find his body? That would be terrible...:(

Or...he could be watchin himself on tv-knowing that so many can't rest because of him..:(

Christian Science Monitor
LAPD review of Christopher Dorner firing: why black community wants more
Even 20 years after the Rodney King riots, mistrust simmers between the LAPD and the black community. Some leaders say federal authorities need to investigate Christopher Dorner's claims.

By Daniel B. Wood, Staff writer / February 11, 2013

"Los Angeles's African-American community is casting a skeptical eye on police chief Charlie Beck's decision Saturday to reopen the investigation into the 2008 firing of alleged cop killer Christopher Dorner. Twenty years after the Rodney King riots deep distrust remains, with some community leaders saying the Los Angeles Police Department cannot be trusted to investigate itself – and that perhaps even the US Justice Department should be called in."

We don’t agree with Dorner’s tactics, but many of us sympathize with his allegations,” says Najee Ali, a black activist and executive director of Project Islamic H.O.P.E. in Los Angeles. “But we don’t think the LAPD can investigate itself and come up with a conclusion that will appease the black community. We think the US Justice Department needs to do it.”

Others have echoed the call for an outside investigation."

Much more...

An interesting article, good to hear what some of the leaders in the Los Angeles area African-American Community are thinking and feeling.

I agree with Ali. I think if the LAPD wants to re-establish any real trust amongst its community with African-Americans, it needs to send in an external independent agency to oversee the investigation. Otherwise, if they find that Dorner was justly discharged, they'll still be seen as having conducted the investigation in a biased manner.

No, at this point in time LAPD would try their darndest to bring Dorner in without physically harming him, if only to present the (specious) image that they are doing the right thing for the people.
I absolutely agree. If they shoot and kill him, now. Esp after opening fire on civilians, some will believe they were trying to cover up. Or that they just have itchy trigger fingers, and felt they are above the law. He'd be made a martyr in many's eyes.

That said, I just don't see how this will end well. I do think he will go down in a blaze of bullets, unfortunately. That is, assuming he is still alive and hasn't frozen to death out there somewhere.

That's what I said. LAPD did it to assuage public opinion.

I disagree that LE would unhesitatingly open fire on Dorner, especially with the negative publicity and media storm brewing. Perhaps before the negative public reactions. No, at this point in time LAPD would try their darndest to bring Dorner in without physically harming him, if only to present the (specious) image that they are doing the right thing for the people.

Tell me this, how many would fault LAPD if they find Dorner, and he opens fire on them, and they have to return that fire? You have to know this guy isn't going to turn himself in or allow himself to be captured. He's going down shooting if he isn't dead already. Dorner's point has already been made, open up LAPD to scrutiny, so there's nothing left for him to do.

I disagree. If he calls the media and has them handle his surrender, with reporters at the scene, or if he calls a lawyer and has the lawyer do something similar....he could surrender without getting shot.

A few years back there was a similar manhunt in Atlanta, a criminal (Brian Nicholes) awaiting trial in jail busted free and killed a Judge and Court report IN A SEPARATE COURTROOM during open court, then somehow shot an innocent/unaware GBI officer and a few others. HUGE HUGE manhunt, he held some woman hostage in her apartment and he ended up walking out safely. Plus he avoided the death penalty at trial. PC was on his side just like it is for this guy.

This guy could engineer a safe surrender if he has access to a phone and he really wants to surrender.

BREAKING: Possible #Dorner sighting off the I-10 at Yucaipa Boulevard. Waiting on word if its legit.

Dorner could face death penalty as criminal charges filed ( link )

As a massive manhunt for Christopher Jordan Dorner continued Monday afternoon, prosecutors with the Riverside County district attorney’s office filed murder and attempted murder charges against the ex-cop suspected of killing three people, including a Riverside police officer.

Dist. Atty. Paul Zellerbach said Dorner has been charged with one count of murder, with special circumstance allegations in the killing of a peace officer and the discharge of a firearm from a vehicle, in the death of Riverside police Officer Michael Crain, 34, a married father who served two tours in Kuwait as a rifleman in the U.S. Marines.

The special circumstances allegation makes Dorner eligible for the death penalty.

I disagree. If he calls the media and has them handle his surrender, with reporters at the scene, or if he calls a lawyer and has the lawyer do something similar....he could surrender without getting shot.

He made it clear in his manifesto that is not what he is planning to do.
He believes he will end up dead, he even wants his brain examined.
He also says those who tries to stop him will not survive.

A few years back there was a similar manhunt in Atlanta, a criminal awaiting trial in jail busted free and killed a Judge and Court report IN A SEPARATE COURTROOM during open court, then somehow shot an GBI officer and a few others. HUGE HUGE manhunt, he held some woman hostage in her apartment and he ended up walking out safely. Plus he avoided the death penalty at trial. PC was on his side just like it is for this guy.

This guy could engineer a safe surrender if he has access to a phone and he really wants to surrender.

Why would he want to? I really can't see Dorner as wanting to spend the rest of his life in jail--the most hopeful outcome for him since he claims the LAPD already ruined his life. So what if an independent investigation were to find the LAPD was crooked, was racist, and Dorner was right about them? it's not like Dorner's going to win anything. He's killed three people, and has to answer for that. Dorner doesn't want to live, that's why he started this "war" in the first place. It was his last resort.

Surrender is not in the cards. He wants martyrdom.

All he has to do to surrender without being shot is to put down his weapons and follow the police officers orders. If he points gun at anyone or has a hostage whose life is in danger, he knows they have to shoot to kill before he shoots them.

I'm sick of all of the police-bashing on this thread. The mods have warned over and over to stop, to no avail. Now it's practically every third post, way too many to alert.

This thread is about a manhunt for a crazed killer. To say that cops are going to kill him in sight or that he can't surrender without being killed anyway is disrespectful of LE and just plain wrong.

This guy wants to die but instead of killing himself he wants to force a cop to do it. He knows how it works. He wants to die claiming its someone else's fault because he takes responsibility for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members