CA CA - Derek Seehausen, 26, USC med student, Glendale, 5 Aug 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I live in Los Angeles and have friends who lead people on guided hikes all over the county and beyond and go on local camping trips as well. They were out leading a hike tonight. I will let them know about Derek and send along his photo.

And it has been said he was last seen at the Vons parking lot on Alvarado. There are two women who park their taco truck there next to the Vons after 7:00pm most nights and people park in that lot to line up and get some of the best Mexican street food out there. It's a favorite for myself and my husband. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he was doing in that lot at 10:40pm. I know we've stopped by there late and there is often a crowd.

This reminds me of a case that took place a year or so ago when a missing Brown University student disappeared without a trace. He had stopped taking classes and was sadly found dead some time later. He had committed suicide. It struck a chord with me as I grew up in Providence and my father taught at Brown. His family was so committed to finding him and they were incredibly active on Facebook.

I hope Derek is found soon and can get whatever help he might need.

-- Edited because auto correct is not my friend.

It is very worrisome that it's reported he had been skipping classes for awhile. Sounds like the depression has been ongoing. I wish I felt more optimistic right now. I have been following several recent cases that ended very badly. [ we need a happy ending]

So per the web page, his dad would disappear at random times, and Derek grew up seeing this. Then there was a family friend who did this too. I have to wonder if this was when Derek was a child or older when this happened. I am hoping he used his $200 to buy food and supplies, but being on foot would be harder to hide. I'm sure they would check his own campin gear.

I was also confused by the clothing description differing from the surveillance still-shot.

If the surveillance cam shot is an accurate representation of Derek just before he went missing, then I guess he didn't have a backpack or anything with him?

I hope Derek is still alive and just taking a break somewhere out there. I really hope this is not a suicide...Praying for a good outcome and thinking of Derek and his loved ones.

Posted late yesterday on helpfindderek.com:

Hi all, a few quick updates while we’re working. Apologies for not having more during the day, as we’re working pretty hard

-Thank you for all the updates about hiking locations, etc, that may be of interest. Please continue to send that to us
-If anyone thinks they saw Derek between the hours of 12:01am and 5:00AM at Union Station, Greyhound stops, or other public transportation stops, please let us know
-We are updating a thorough list of places that have been checked throughout today as people email us.
-Please DO NOT text Derek if you have his phone number, as we are running data on the phone
-Any usage of his accounts at this point are us, as we have full account access
-We do have a last known location but we are still locating a key person for more information. When we do, we will update everyone on this location for witnesses.

I know that’s not much but we will have more updates and photos soon.

Does having a family history of sudden disappearances mean that DEREK has suddenly disappeared before or that members of his family have and he may have a genetic disposition or been raised in an environment where taking some time out was the way to handle stress?

Information (that I have read) from the brother indicated that it was only the father who had a history of disappearing -- and just stated that Derek had been exposed to that type of thing in the family (an environmental factor to consider, in other words). I've not come across anything that indicates that Derek himself has wandered off like this before (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But then I also did read a news article that stated the family was concerned he may be "suicidal" (not sure of the accuracy of that report), but regardless, I am sure the family is concerned about the biological factor in this, in that if his loved ones/friends feel this is not characteristic of Derek, perhaps they worry he has had some mental "break"? I am sure any family member in a similar situation would be weighing that scary possibility.

I saw the info where the last "sighting" of Derek was late at night at a park. QUESTION: Does anyone have anymore info on that? For instance, whoever did see him, what did they observe, as far as what he was doing/how he was acting? Perhaps that sighting is not even accurate, as the one news release indicated some of the info going out was incorrect. ?

TIA.

He has some really, really awesome friends and family. I wish all MP's had a group of people to advocate as well for them.

I keep checking for updates on Derek. I truly hope he is taking a breather.

Derek's brother and the rest of his family are doing a great job. They love him so much. I so, so hope that he didn't hurt himself.

Information (that I have read) from the brother indicated that it was only the father who had a history of disappearing -- and just stated that Derek had been exposed to that type of thing in the family (an environmental factor to consider, in other words). I've not come across anything that indicates that Derek himself has wandered off like this before (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But then I also did read a news article that stated the family was concerned he may be "suicidal" (not sure of the accuracy of that report), but regardless, I am sure the family is concerned about the biological factor in this, in that if his loved ones/friends feel this is not characteristic of Derek, perhaps they worry he has had some mental "break"? I am sure any family member in a similar situation would be weighing that scary possibility.

I saw the info where the last "sighting" of Derek was late at night at a park. QUESTION: Does anyone have anymore info on that? For instance, whoever did see him, what did they observe, as far as what he was doing/how he was acting? Perhaps that sighting is not even accurate, as the one news release indicated some of the info going out was incorrect. ?

TIA.

He as last seen in a parking lot at Vons Supermarket, not a park. Echo Park is a neighborhood and can be really sketchy in parts and that area in particular is known for gang activity, drugs, etc. I have friends who live right there. Griffith Park is close by. If he wandered off into the wilderness, that's the closet big park to do it in. There is also a park right near Dodger Stadium. The police academy is there and it's very quiet (and unsafe) at night.

That Vons supermarket on Alvarado is right next to the 2 freeway. That would take him towards the local mountains and very quickly. It's very easy to disappear in the Angeles National Forest there, IMO. Sadly, it's where quite a few missing people have been found deceased.

TIA.

Thanks, that totally answers my question. I'm glad this family is being so honest about possible mental illness and other factors. It makes me want to help find him even more because we know he's vulnerable.

You can't make a Facebook page without a profile. In some professions/companies, you can't have a Facebook profile unless you give management access. Depending on what his brother does, this may explain why no Facebook group.

He as last seen in a parking lot at Vons Supermarket, not a park. Echo Park is a neighborhood and can be really sketchy in parts and that area in particular is known for gang activity, drugs, etc. I have friends who live right there. Griffith Park is close by. If he wandered off into the wilderness, that's the closet big park to do it in. There is also a park right near Dodger Stadium. The police academy is there and it's very quiet (and unsafe) at night.

That Vons supermarket on Alvarado is right next to the 2 freeway. That would take him towards the local mountains and very quickly. It's very easy to disappear in the Angeles National Forest there, IMO. Sadly, it's where quite a few missing people have been found deceased.

Thanks so much for all this info, Coquette. Very helpful...but now I am even more concerned for him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tawnitrevino
Back