CA CA - Derek Seehausen, 26, USC med student, Glendale, 5 Aug 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If he's a survivalist, he could be living in a campground or joined a homeless camp or something.

Do we have any info at all from Derek's friends as to how he seemed to be doing lately? I understand nobody can read another person's mind, but I'm just wondering if any of his friends noticed any recent changes in Derek before he went missing (mood, habits, behaviors, etc.)?

Has anyone seen any info like that?

I finally found the website that Derek's family/team is maintaining (not sure how I missed it up until now)...so far, I think we all are pretty much updated on the facts of this case -- I didn't see any new info not posted here -- but I did find an interesting page on that website that's a map with "notations" of areas searched/areas the family feel are worthwhile to search for Derek, places he may have been in the past, etc.

I'm pretty new to WS...is it okay for me to post a link of that map page here? I just thought that may be helpful, for anyone living in that area or frequenting those spots. Or I could just post the main link to that website.

If someone would just let me know if that's okay and what link is best to post, thanks!

UPDATE: Never mind! Post #61 has the link. I just didn't see it.:blushing:

I'm not sure this has anything to do with Derek but I wanted to post. Mods please remove if not ok.

http://ktla.com/2014/08/28/dead-bod...-in-lakewood-homicide-investigation-underway/

"An investigation was underway Thursday after a “badly decomposed” body was discovered on the 605 Freeway in Lakewood, but authorities did not suspect foul play was involved.

Investigators were working to determine how the adult male died, but evidence seemed to indicate that the death was “non-criminal in nature,” the release stated."

Lakewood (where the body was found) is just under an hour away from where Derek went missing in Glendale. It's a straight shot on the freeway though:

deny8u8a.jpg

The remains are described as "badly decomposed" and I'm not sure how quickly that could happen. It is August and has been fairly hot though.

All IMO and I hope it's not related!

^^^ Probably not Derek, but you never know. One would be amazed at how many people live within the freeway infrastructure in that area. Where the 5 and 605 freeways meet, there are at least a hundred people living in there. You could drive by there every day and not see them.

What's odd in that story is where this found this person. He would have had to crawl up the drain from the side of the freeway to get there; no easy feat.

Well, I don't know if I am alone in this or not, but I check in here once a day to see if there are any new developments...and just frustrated. And I am just a "WSer concerned party" -- I can only imagine what Derek's poor family is going through...

What do you guys think, at this point? I look at the info on the "layering" of clothing that Derek was supposedly wearing -- and that gives me some hope (just from a practical point of view), along with the fact that he is very well-versed on how to survive outdoors. But still...with this length of time where he he is "off the grid," it is really concerning. Can someone help me with a few things I have been wondering:

1) What have the temps been like in that area -- day and night? I guess I could look this up, but if anyone knows offhand, thanks...
2) I see absolutely nothing in regard to Derek's state of mind/behaviors/interactions before he went missing...anybody see any info like that? From friends? Profs? Docs? Family?
3) I realize his father had some issues and did disappear at times -- any info on how long his father was gone (when he took off) or the resolution in that particular regard?

Thanks, anyone who has any info or thoughts...I feel like the family is doing all they can. Just was trying to see if I have missed any info. Sometimes brainstorming is all that is left, and I guess I just want to do that, if we have anything to go on...

Well, I don't know if I am alone in this or not, but I check in here once a day to see if there are any new developments...and just frustrated. And I am just a "WSer concerned party" -- I can only imagine what Derek's poor family is going through...

What do you guys think, at this point? I look at the info on the "layering" of clothing that Derek was supposedly wearing -- and that gives me some hope (just from a practical point of view), along with the fact that he is very well-versed on how to survive outdoors. But still...with this length of time where he he is "off the grid," it is really concerning. Can someone help me with a few things I have been wondering:

1) What have the temps been like in that area -- day and night? I guess I could look this up, but if anyone knows offhand, thanks...
2) I see absolutely nothing in regard to Derek's state of mind/behaviors/interactions before he went missing...anybody see any info like that? From friends? Profs? Docs? Family?
3) I realize his father had some issues and did disappear at times -- any info on how long his father was gone (when he took off) or the resolution in that particular regard?

Thanks, anyone who has any info or thoughts...I feel like the family is doing all they can. Just was trying to see if I have missed any info. Sometimes brainstorming is all that is left, and I guess I just want to do that, if we have anything to go on...

Here is some info on possible state of mind! HTH

http://ktla.com/2014/08/09/usc-medical-student-reported-missing-publics-help-sought/

"His family was extremely concerned, and worried that the 26-year-old may be suicidal, the release stated."

Nothing new in MSM since 8/9. And the updates on the family page are hard to follow. They need to date them. Honestly, he could be anywhere. You can quickly get to the mountains, desert or ocean from anywhere in the LA area.

Here is some info on possible state of mind! HTH

http://ktla.com/2014/08/09/usc-medical-student-reported-missing-publics-help-sought/

"His family was extremely concerned, and worried that the 26-year-old may be suicidal, the release stated."

Nothing new in MSM since 8/9. And the updates on the family page are hard to follow. They need to date them. Honestly, he could be anywhere. You can quickly get to the mountains, desert or ocean from anywhere in the LA area.

Thanks, Kaliste~

I saw that earlier, and I guess it just comes down to if his family is concerned in that regard, they would know best. I guess I just feel "plopped down" in a story about a med student going about his way and all seemingly going fine...then BAM -- he's off the grid. So my mind is trying to find that "middle part" where this may make some sense...but human beings, being what we are, just do not always forecast to others what is below the surface. It's that "middle part" that we are, sadly, not always aware of...

Thank you ThinkThinkThink for your perseverance on this thread. You ask excellent questions & I can relate to your frustration!

This was one little tidbit (probably posted earlier) I found about Derek's personality:

"The fact that he's gone and no one knows where he is is unusual," Los Angeles Police Department Detective Emily Raupp said Saturday. "He's a minute-to-minute type of person. He's always on time. He's always punctual."
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-missing-student-20140809-story.html

He has a profile on Google + also ... https://plus.google.com/app/basic/+DerekSeehausen?cbp=10ph6cb8kcjn0&sview=25&cid=5&soc-app=115&soc-platform=1

August of 4th year med school is a particularly stressful time for a med student, in a different sort of way from the usual stress of studying and long hours of work that occur throughout medical school. Derek should have been in the process of applying for a residency position. Given his presumed state of mind, he may not have been up for the process of choosing a specialty, obtaining letters of recommendation, submitting an application, and preparing for interviews. I have not heard any specific info about him regarding any of this; I only speculate that he may have been in a particularly vulnerable state of mind due to this additional burden.

Temps have been perfect for outdoor survival. 85-100 highs and overnight lows in the 60s. Even at altitude it's not cold at night.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but if bad luck befell him, he could be in the vicinity of the LA River. Very nearby where he was last seen and heading in that direction. It's miles of wide, flat drainage channel with lots of foliage. People get swift water rescued there during heavy rains. Lots of homeless folk. Someone could disappear in there pretty easily.

Being a newbie, I'm still unsure sometimes on the rules here...I found Derek's professional page online (won't mention the site, just in case), and although it obviously can't tell us things like his mindset at the time he disappeared, I did glean a bit of extra info about him that I would not have known...does anyone want me to post the link to that (or please tell me if that's against WS rules)?

Being a newbie, I'm still unsure sometimes on the rules here...I found Derek's professional page online (won't mention the site, just in case), and although it obviously can't tell us things like his mindset at the time he disappeared, I did glean a bit of extra info about him that I would not have known...does anyone want me to post the link to that (or please tell me if that's against WS rules)?

Poohbear, I mean ThinkThinkThink, since sleuthing a missing person is acceptable, I would think academic work is fair game. Other missing persons who were artists have had their online portfolios posted, and that's basically the same thing.

Poohbear, I mean ThinkThinkThink, since sleuthing a missing person is acceptable, I would think academic work is fair game. Other missing persons who were artists have had their online portfolios posted, and that's basically the same thing.

I probably should have just called myself "Pooh Bear," as I've noticed several people calling me "Think Cubed." I do not know WHAT I was thinking (no pun intended) to call myself "Think,Think,Think"! :facepalm: But I will answer to about anything. ;)

Thanks for the input, necco. I appreciate it. I will go ahead with it.

And :sorry: if it's out-of-bounds...if anyone has a problem with this link, pls. let me know.

But here is the link, for what it's worth:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/derek-seehausen/8b/a7/465?_mSplash=1

I had seen his linkedin - what it is that is interesting there cuz I am not seeing anything that raises red flags and I want to get better at this.

I had seen his linkedin - what it is that is interesting there cuz I am not seeing anything that raises red flags and I want to get better at this.

I want to get better at this too, but it sure would make it easier if LE would tell us everything they know! LOL. ;)

Nothing raised any red flags for me either, and I guess I was just wanting to learn more about him, since info coming out lately seems kind of sparse...but in looking through his background and experience in medicine, he certainly has depth and breadth (impressive, all that he has accomplished), and I just took note of his areas of medical focus and his current position as a research fellow, in addition to noting mentoring on his part, which, for me, just spoke some to his character.

That and I liked looking at his areas of interests -- both professionally and personally -- just felt like I got a few tidbits that gave me a better sense of him. It certainly didn't tell me anything new to give me any "a ha" info to go on, but I did take note of a few things that just helped me understand where he has "come from" in his journey thus far in life and maybe more of what he is drawn to...also saw all the outdoor interests, which backs up what we have heard about his physical nature/love for the outdoors...and there was something on there about being fairly fluent in Spanish and had some level of proficiency in German. I also saw something in his interests that I believe is a Japanese word for "drums," but I have yet to look that up.

But in totality, no, I am not saying I now think he is in Germany playing a Japanese drum for a living ;)...but I did like getting a snapshot of a bit more about him.

Yeh, the weather out has been really nice and summery. Being outdoors at night here is actually not bad at all. The Los Angeles River is a flood control channel that is cemented in and runs all the way through Los Angeles to the Pacific Ocean in Long Beach. Many homeless people live along the flood channel and under freeway underpasses near the channel.

It's possible that he walked to the flood channel in Glendale and followed it all the way down and ended up in Lakewood. Or he could have hitchhiked a straight line down the 5 (I-5 for those who don't understand California lingo.) to the 605 and been let off near Lakewood.

Once again, I have suggested that he could be living off the grid, in a homeless camp. They share what they have with everyone who is there pretty much. That $200 would go a long way there. FWIW.

Yeh, the weather out has been really nice and summery. Being outdoors at night here is actually not bad at all. The Los Angeles River is a flood control channel that is cemented in and runs all the way through Los Angeles to the Pacific Ocean in Long Beach. Many homeless people live along the flood channel and under freeway underpasses near the channel.

It's possible that he walked to the flood channel in Glendale and followed it all the way down and ended up in Lakewood. Or he could have hitchhiked a straight line down the 5 (I-5 for those who don't understand California lingo.) to the 605 and been let off near Lakewood.

Once again, I have suggested that he could be living off the grid, in a homeless camp. They share what they have with everyone who is there pretty much. That $200 would go a long way there. FWIW.

Thanks, Seajay. I sure hope it is something like that...and that he stays safe and makes it back home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back