CA CA - Derek Seehausen, 26, USC med student, Glendale, 5 Aug 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks, Seajay. I sure hope it is something like that...and that he stays safe and makes it back home.

I am hopeful that's what he's doing because his father was known to do it. Maybe he's just taking a "walkabout." He may have needed to escape the stress level of his schooling and needed some mental health time off. As a survivalist, he could easily go off the grid, join an homeless camp, and be safe and well. I'm also hoping he comes to his senses as his father apparently did and comes back to his life and family.

I've been having this terrible feeling from the start. Not trying to be negative I really hope this case will have a happy ending...

I think if he was thinking clearly at all, he would be worrying about all his hard work going down the drain. He can't go walking back home and take up where he left off now. Going away is one thing, staying away is another. I sure wish he had told someone what was going on for him and I wish he would just walk back home!

I've been having this terrible feeling from the start. Not trying to be negative I really hope this case will have a happy ending...

I'm very concerned too...it's been almost 4 weeks. I'd feel better if that last surveillance photo showed him with a backpack (not that he couldn't have gone back after that to get one, as who knows the timing for sure, but it seems more likely that he was heading out to wherever at that late hour)...and then again, there are reasons that it may be good that he did not have a backpack on him (don't think I need to explain why, and I really prefer not to).

At first, I was thinking just too much stress and needed a break and perhaps a similar pattern to his father...now I am just hoping that this longer timeframe means he is reluctant to return but still safe.

With Labor Day, hopeful for more eyes and ears out in nature areas, if that is where he went.

I think if he was thinking clearly at all, he would be worrying about all his hard work going down the drain. He can't go walking back home and take up where he left off now. Going away is one thing, staying away is another. I sure wish he had told someone what was going on for him and I wish he would just walk back home!

I wish he'd just walk back home too, sophiebelle.

It appears he is "technology-free," but this is for Derek anyway:

Anything in your life can be worked out. It really can. So many people themselves (or with their loved ones or friends) know what it is like today to go through such confusing, difficult times, and I truly believe you will be embraced...and then you can decide what is best for you, with support from others. Your family and friends love you, and you would be amazed at how understanding and helpful others will be...please don't be afraid to come back, for fear that it is too late or that you have ruined anything...it's not so. Everything really is fixable and workable, and I believe anyone who knows you personally or professionally will be nothing but supportive of you. They all just miss and care about YOU. Not what you do, but who you are.

Be safe and take care of yourself.

I haven't seen any reports regarding his performance in med. school. I think it was mentioned that Derek missed a couple of meetings or classes. Was his med. school standing in danger? Did he have roommates or close friends who noticed and changes in his mental status?
Derek, come home to your loved ones.

I haven't seen any reports regarding his performance in med. school. I think it was mentioned that Derek missed a couple of meetings or classes. Was his med. school standing in danger? Did he have roommates or close friends who noticed and changes in his mental status?
Derek, come home to your loved ones.

Good questions. I just haven't seen any info like this (his mindset/any changes noticed by anyone) at all, Teche.

The family has now retained a private investigator according to http://helpfindderek.com/updates/
The latest update is posted below as an image, as that's how it was posted on the other site. You have to be logged in to view it.

martin-PI-statement.png

I wonder what homes were searched and why??? Did he buy just enough for one breakfast? I hope this new PI helps get the answers for Derek.

I feel like a dingbat for asking this (because I just can't find this info and probably missed it somewhere), but does anyone know how far away Derek's apartment is from where he withdrew the cash and got his "breakfast items"? Not to over-emphasize the purchase of breakfast items, but just knowing that now as fact is more than I knew before...

I just assumed him being out that late at an ATM meant something more along the lines of him taking off (especially being that it wasn't over the weekend -- I assumed he had classes/responsibilities the next day)...

But is it possible that this was a college-mentality kind of late-night purchase (getting food last-minute for breakfast) and he met with foul play on his way back to his apartment? Maybe I have assumed too much...thinking he would not be out in a "sketchy" neighborhood (from what I have read here) unless something was really amiss, like he was taking off...and I guess I have just gone off of what the family has released, about what he is like. His "typical" personality didn't sound like he'd be out at that hour...but granted, I assumed that.

Does anyone see this as a possibility of him meeting up with foul play -- instead of a "taking off" thing"?

but does anyone know how far away Derek's apartment is from where he withdrew the cash and got his "breakfast items"?

<snipped by me>

The apartment that he was sighted at (400 N. Glenoaks), has it been determined that it was his residence? Either way, he was supposedly seen there at 9pm. According to the original "last known sighting" he was at the Alvarado location at 10:40pm. Walking distance is 9 miles, so it's possible he could have been on foot at this time.

I wonder though if he was driving. That particular route (Alvarado) is a very popular for getting from Glendale/Burbank to USC (bypassing downtown LA) during rush hour, but this was late enough at night that traffic shouldn't have been an issue. Maybe he took the route out of familiarity and broke down, or stopped for cash. But no mention of a car at all in anything I've read, so...

The latest "last known sighting" puts him at Alvarado at 12:01am. If the sightings are accurate, he could have been in the Silver Lake area nearby (trendy bars, restaurants, coffee houses). It's reported he was on foot here. Walking back towards Glenoaks would either put him near the river or on the bike path for at least half of that. So much supposition here; apologies.

<snipped by me>

The apartment that he was sighted at (400 N. Glenoaks), has it been determined that it was his residence? Either way, he was supposedly seen there at 9pm. According to the original "last known sighting" he was at the Alvarado location at 10:40pm. Walking distance is 9 miles, so it's possible he could have been on foot at this time.

I wonder though if he was driving. That particular route (Alvarado) is a very popular for getting from Glendale/Burbank to USC (bypassing downtown LA) during rush hour, but this was late enough at night that traffic shouldn't have been an issue. Maybe he took the route out of familiarity and broke down, or stopped for cash. But no mention of a car at all in anything I've read, so...

The latest "last known sighting" puts him at Alvarado at 12:01am. If the sightings are accurate, he could have been in the Silver Lake area nearby (trendy bars, restaurants, coffee houses). It's reported he was on foot here. Walking back towards Glenoaks would either put him near the river or on the bike path for at least half of that. So much supposition here; apologies.

No need to apologize! I appreciate your post...it's a heck of a lot more info regarding the area than I knew before. I wish we did know how far away he was (at last sighting) from where he lived...I sure hope LE/the PI hired by the family have a substantial theory in this case.

His family reports that his car is accounted for...

I hope they find another lead soon or have some they're able to keep working. Hoping for some good news at next week's press conference.

August of 4th year med school is a particularly stressful time for a med student, in a different sort of way from the usual stress of studying and long hours of work that occur throughout medical school. Derek should have been in the process of applying for a residency position. Given his presumed state of mind, he may not have been up for the process of choosing a specialty, obtaining letters of recommendation, submitting an application, and preparing for interviews. I have not heard any specific info about him regarding any of this; I only speculate that he may have been in a particularly vulnerable state of mind due to this additional burden.

I'm a few years outside of residency and I'm told that the whole ERAS system is now so much more user friendly (although the students rotating with my husband earlier this summer weren't exactly singing praises) but I have to admit that just making sure I (and all my letter writers)had everything uploaded was a bit frustrating at various times. I also think that even if you are very certain of your desired specialty the whole residency application and interview process can be stressful. Although you may have a good feeling about various programs you really don't know until the match if you matched anywhere and then you wait a few more days to find out where you're actually going. In my case I only ranked programs I knew I could make work so the wait to reveal wasn't so bad. I was also fortunate to have strong support from family, my church, and even some physician mentors so it was much easier to just focus on that which was in my control and believe that it would all work out some way. In the end it did, but I had classmates who were not able to be so calm about the process.

4th year of medical school is also the time of USMLE step 2 CK/CS and different schools have different rules about when these tests have to be taken and passed. Most (but probably not all) schools require passing both step 2 exams to graduate.

I had seen his linkedin - what it is that is interesting there cuz I am not seeing anything that raises red flags and I want to get better at this.

On a quick glance the only thing I see which is atypical is that it looks like it will be taking him five years to get his MD (as opposed to the traditional four). Of course it is possible that his school offers some kind of a research fellowship where they extend the degree program for a year to allow for a full year of research. Some schools do offer something like this and I note that he has a research position at LA Children's so that may be the simple explanation. It is also possible that he may have needed to repeat a year, or taken a decelerated track where his preclinical courses were spread over three years, instead of the traditional two years.

I'm a few years outside of residency and I'm told that the whole ERAS system is now so much more user friendly (although the students rotating with my husband earlier this summer weren't exactly singing praises) but I have to admit that just making sure I (and all my letter writers)had everything uploaded was a bit frustrating at various times. I also think that even if you are very certain of your desired specialty the whole residency application and interview process can be stressful. Although you may have a good feeling about various programs you really don't know until the match if you matched anywhere and then you wait a few more days to find out where you're actually going. In my case I only ranked programs I knew I could make work so the wait to reveal wasn't so bad. I was also fortunate to have strong support from family, my church, and even some physician mentors so it was much easier to just focus on that which was in my control and believe that it would all work out some way. In the end it did, but I had classmates who were not able to be so calm about the process.

4th year of medical school is also the time of USMLE step 2 CK/CS and different schools have different rules about when these tests have to be taken and passed. Most (but probably not all) schools require passing both step 2 exams to graduate.

Thanks so much, Curiosum. Appreciate the info and perspective!

Looks like there will be a press conference Friday at 10 am to get his photos out there and information about him..more details on the website for him.

Looks like there will be a press conference Friday at 10 am to get his photos out there and information about him..more details on the website for him.

Thanks, Tonia! I just clicked onto the website link. I don't know how I missed that news. Looks like the family is very hopeful that he is alive and was spotted. That would be so wonderful...hoping!

Anyone else interested in this news, click here:
http://helpfindderek.com/updates/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState