CA CA - Derek Seehausen, 26, USC med student, Glendale, 5 Aug 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I understand that, but it was odd that it was pretty much all the time (especially by his mother) that she said "he was" instead of "he is". I dunno....I just found it strange and I have seen to mentioned before as well, but this time was so much more than usual.

Yes, I did notice this. It actually bothered me, especially in regard to the mother (whose thoughts I will often weigh more heavily, in terms of "instinct"/insight).

Here are a few reasons I came up with for why she, in particular, may have been using the past tense (FWIW):

1) She did express that she knew how difficult it would be for Derek to return, if he had just left on his own...so I thought that maybe she has doubt that he would be able to come back home and face up to all this.
2) It seems she (and the rest of her kids) live in a different state, and I thought that fact may affect the verb tense she uses...like when she says "he was loved," she is picturing him back in the state he was from with her memories, not in California.
3) To protect herself from future pain, perhaps she is just struggling within herself to remain hopeful...this aspect would be at the deepest subconscious level.

But I hear ya...I noticed it every single time someone used the past tense...

Sadly, the most beautiful, brilliant minds are not always the most stable.

Mental illness such as Manic Depression (Bi-Polar Disease) and Schizophrenia may be the culprits. Or a psychotic break,

Hope he is found soon.

Sadly, the most beautiful, brilliant minds are not always the most stable.

Mental illness such as Manic Depression (Bi-Polar Disease) and Schizophrenia may be the culprits. Or a psychotic break,

Hope he is found soon.

Indeed. Mid 20s is when schizophrenia typically manifests in men. Not saying that is the case here of course, because had he had a schism it is unlikely he would've made that payment before going missing. To me, making that big payment to his friend immediately beforehand is key, in that he either planned to harm himself or planned to leave - but he was likely of sound mind.

That September 5th picture on the bus is a remarkable resemblance. I tend to think it is him.

Indeed. Mid 20s is when schizophrenia typically manifests in men. Not saying that is the case here of course, because had he had a schism it is unlikely he would've made that payment before going missing. To me, making that big payment to his friend immediately beforehand is key, in that he either planned to harm himself or planned to leave - but he was likely of sound mind.

That September 5th picture on the bus is a remarkable resemblance. I tend to think it is him.

http://helpfindderek.com/author/Helpfindderek/
Take a look at the bus pictures.. the last one (bottom), where his head is turned to the side. Now look at the side profile picture of Derek directly to the left and the one above it where Derek's left ear is exposed. What do you think of the ears? I see a lot of similarities but I am not sure about the ears... Derek's ears seem skinny and angular. I can't tell if the man on video has more rounded ears.

Take a look at the bus pictures.. the last one (bottom), where his head is turned to the side. Now look at the side profile picture of Derek directly to the left and the one above it where Derek's left ear is exposed. What do you think of the ears? I see a lot of similarities but I am not sure about the ears... Derek's ears seem skinny and angular. I can't tell if the man on video has more rounded ears.

Dixie,
First of all, saw your other post and will share (to whatever extent they are comfortable with) as soon as I hear. Yes, this is all anonymous, but I take privacy that seriously and always want to respect others...it may be overboard to ask permission, but that's just me.

And oh my gosh...your mentioning the ears! That is why I was confused. And with the angle, could not tell...but DocBrew thinks it looks like him, and I respect his opinion. Okay, but here is where I also look closely to ID people -- the hands/fingers. In the link you gave, look at the top photo of Derek in the hat (before he went missing), and his arm and fingers down to his side -- look at his hands/fingers, in particular. Then compare the bus photo, his hands and fingers. Is it me, or do you see similarity in the hand/fingers too? I also took a look at the arms and factored in a little loss of weight. I usually look at the neck area, but I am having a tough time seeing anything there, with the angle of the bus photos.

I've been ear studying for 15 minutes. I think in the black and white photos, it's hard to tell if his hair is covering part of the ear, or if it's shadows. It does look very similar to me. I wish the pics were bigger.
In the one pic where he's seen walking @12:02am, the pic to the left seems to be a pic (gas pumps showing) in the day time or a sunny morning. Maybe it's bright lights?

I've been ear studying for 15 minutes. I think in the black and white photos, it's hard to tell if his hair is covering part of the ear, or if it's shadows. It does look very similar to me. I wish the pics were bigger.
In the one pic where he's seen walking @12:02am, the pic to the left seems to be a pic (gas pumps showing) in the day time or a sunny morning. Maybe it's bright lights?

You "Ear Studier," you. Thanks, Sophie. I know, feel the same way -- hair or shadow or whatnot, but feel like I am not sure, but similar. I wish the pics were bigger too. Tx...respect your opinion. I do feel like it could be Derek...just feel like I can't SEE enough in those pics.

It is really hard to compare (for me) because the individual from the bus station is kinda hunched over a counter I think, as opposed to standing up straight like Derek is in his posed pictures. It also appears the bus station video was from above, whereas our pictures of Derek are straight-on. I do see similarities, it is just hard to compare from different angles etc.

Here's something- the picture of Derek in a black suit jacket and gold tie (between the cowboy hat picture and the picture in his scrubs with a child) you can see the top of his right ear curves out a bit and can be seen. The rest of his ear cannot be seen due to the angle of his head. It looks somewhat similar to the right ear of the individual on the bus station footage- top picture. His head is angled similarly (although he is looking down), and you can see the top of the right ear curve out and become visible in the same way. Although, many people's ears curve out at the top. But it is something to note.

Is the guy in the bus photos holding a coffee cup? I wonder if Derek is a habitual coffee drinker.

I'll assume his family/friends don't recognize the t-shirt in the photos.

Is the guy in the bus photos holding a coffee cup? I wonder if Derek is a habitual coffee drinker.

I'll assume his family/friends don't recognize the t-shirt in the photos.

Ooh, you make a great point about the clothing.

They know what he was wearing when he left. And you're right, I am sure if the shirt seen in the bus station video was the same shirt or one his family recognized as belonging to Derek it would have been mentioned (as it bolsters the legitimacy of the tip).

Additionally, it would be really helpful to know if the shirt/clothing seen on the individual "shuffling" along the side of the highway was consistent with either the clothing Derek was wearing when he went missing or the shirt seen on the bus station footage.

One thing I did pick up on from the press conference is that it sounds like the PI was unable to follow-up on the tip regarding a possible Derek "shuffling" along the highway for more detailed info. I guess it was an anonymous e-mail or something. I say this because when pressed about what specific portion of the road the man was seen walking along, the PI seemed unable to answer and I believe he expressed that while he would love to have that information or share it, he did not have it? Someone correct me if you got a different impression of that exchange.

ThinkThinkThink, I would love to hear your story

I have permission. Will keep this short.

I was (still am) very close to this person who "took off" (I was/am like a younger sister), and it was all so sudden, to everyone...COMPLETELY out of character for my "older bro" (as I think of him). He (let's call him "Brad") is EXTREMELY intelligent, and much of this case reminds me of what happened with him...Brad is one of those "the last person in the world you would think would do this" types. VERY conscientious and dependable. His intelligence helped him hide (his words) something that was happening to him in his mid-20s. He was realizing, slowly but surely, that he was exhibiting symptoms of bipolar. He says he first thought something was going on around age 16/17.

He hid this (very successfully) for some time, and I feel much of that was due to his superior level of intelligence. When he took off, he was a little bit less capable (cognitively/organizationally) than Derek appears to have been when he disappeared...Derek had great presence of mind to handle things (transfer of money/returning keys) -- more so than Brad was when he took off...but there are similarities. Some things stuck out to me in the press conference. For instance, making plans (with friends) and exhuburance before the taking off (noted by Derek's Mom)...Brad did some of that as well.

However, when Brad left, he had his cellphone on him and kept it with him (but turned it off and would not answer calls). He was missing for 2 1/2 excrutiating weeks, and when he finally called someone, it was me. I was scared to death that I would mess up, and I would "lose him" again for his family... By the time he called me, he was clearly out if it. This very brilliant, wonderful, loving person I adored was so confused and fragile, yet was still able to know enough to call my phone number correctly...and I gently, carefully explained to him how to get into a cab -- use his credit card -- and have the cab take him to the nearest ER. I had to walk him through each step and keep him on the line, and I was terrified.

He is just fine today. He has a great family and job...and I love him dearly. He has bipolar, but he takes medication for it, and he has been able to resume his life.

I do not know Derek's situation and don't pretend to...but I do deeply believe he can be helped, if he comes home.

Thank you for sharing, ThinkThinkThink! I find it really interesting to hear of stories that may be similar to a case.

I am not local, does anyone know how much attention the information from the press conference got from local press-- i.e. the nightly news or anything? If the man in the bus station footage is not Derek, it would be really helpful if that individual could come forward and say so. Then the tip could be ruled out to prevent LE or the PI from barking up the wrong tree. Wondering how likely it is that this man (if it's not Derek) would be aware of the release of the picture.. I know typically people are very, very unaware of missing persons cases happening in their city in comparison to us on WS.

If he was last sighted in Solana Beach/Cardiff By The Sea, that narrows it down a bit. He's in San Diego County. Previously we had been looking in Los Angeles and Orange Counties. SD County is large and Derek seems resourceful. He might be deeper into SD County now, Lakeside, LaMesa, National City, Alpine, La Jolla, Pacific Beach, San Ysidro, or God Forbid he went across the border into Mexico.

Think x3 brought up an important thought, maybe he is suffering from the onset of a mental condition that hasn't been previously known.

Paying the friend back the money and leaving the keys at the front desk screams of pre-planning, knowing he was going to take off but wanted to wrap up some unfinished business first as to not inconvenience his friends.

I hope Derek is fine and will be returned to his family soon. IMO

I have permission. Will keep this short.

I was (still am) very close to this person who "took off" (I was/am like a younger sister), and it was all so sudden, to everyone...COMPLETELY out of character for my "older bro" (as I think of him). He (let's call him "Brad") is EXTREMELY intelligent, and much of this case reminds me of what happened with him...Brad is one of those "the last person in the world you would think would do this" types. VERY conscientious and dependable. His intelligence helped him hide (his words) something that was happening to him in his mid-20s. He was realizing, slowly but surely, that he was exhibiting symptoms of bipolar. He says he first thought something was going on around age 16/17.

He hid this (very successfully) for some time, and I feel much of that was due to his superior level of intelligence. When he took off, he was a little bit less capable (cognitively/organizationally) than Derek appears to have been when he disappeared...Derek had great presence of mind to handle things (transfer of money/returning keys) -- more so than Brad was when he took off...but there are similarities. Some things stuck out to me in the press conference. For instance, making plans (with friends) and exhuburance before the taking off (noted by Derek's Mom)...Brad did some of that as well.

However, when Brad left, he had his cellphone on him and kept it with him (but turned it off and would not answer calls). He was missing for 2 1/2 excrutiating weeks, and when he finally called someone, it was me. I was scared to death that I would mess up, and I would "lose him" again for his family... By the time he called me, he was clearly out if it. This very brilliant, wonderful, loving person I adored was so confused and fragile, yet was still able to know enough to call my phone number correctly...and I gently, carefully explained to him how to get into a cab -- use his credit card -- and have the cab take him to the nearest ER. I had to walk him through each step and keep him on the line, and I was terrified.

He is just fine today. He has a great family and job...and I love him dearly. He has bipolar, but he takes medication for it, and he has been able to resume his life.

I do not know Derek's situation and don't pretend to...but I do deeply believe he can be helped, if he comes home.

I've been holding off on posting but I have to state my agreement with ThinkThinkThink's post. I have someone close to me who is highly intelligent and who has serious mental health issues. The "shuffling" description is what really spoke to me--someone, in a post for a schizophrenic mother whose children are missing, mentioned the slow movements that sometimes accompany mental illness. This is something that I've observed in a loved one, and when I read of Derek's "shuffling" along the highway, it made me think that he may have had an increase in schizophrenic symptoms (or those of other mental illness).

I will continue to follow this thread in the hope that Derek is found and is able to get any help that he needs.

I've been holding off on posting but I have to state my agreement with ThinkThinkThink's post. I have someone close to me who is highly intelligent and who has serious mental health issues. The "shuffling" description is what really spoke to me--someone, in a post for a schizophrenic mother whose children are missing, mentioned the slow movements that sometimes accompany mental illness. This is something that I've observed in a loved one, and when I read of Derek's "shuffling" along the highway, it made me think that he may have had an increase in schizophrenic symptoms (or those of other mental illness).

I will continue to follow this thread in the hope that Derek is found and is able to get any help that he needs.

Thanks for sharing, "thordis"...I know how hard it can be to share this type of thing. Even as I typed out what happened with Brad, I was teary, just re-living it like it was yesterday. And I am sorry about your loved one's difficulty. I understand very much...and I consider all those who contend with these difficulties (the person and loved ones) so brave. It seems most have been touched in some way by challenges and concerns that come with mental health issues, whether it's within the family, a friend, co-worker, neighbor, etc. But there is much reason to hope, as so much more can be done today to ease this type of suffering.

You make a good point on the shuffling. I think the family believes it may be more related to his foot condition, but it could also point to something else,if that sighting was Derek.

More than anything, I see Derek as this person who may have felt he had to keep living up to this Superstar Status -- not saying anyone put that pressure on him but himself...and so then I wonder if he just felt like he had to be so perfect and wanted off that pedestal of pressure he felt -- and so then just sort of ran away from it all...or if some sort of "break" has come into play. Either way, I feel so badly that he didn't feel he could reach out to those who so obviously love him...but whether emotional or mental reaction, it is not something you can sometimes make sense of at the time. Brad was embarrassed. He felt the stigma. And he just really tried to "outrun" it all. But he also wanted to survive...and I pray that is in Derek.

One important thing I did get from both the Mom and best friend is that Derek is very much loved for who he IS, not what he does. Sure, they admire all the "stuff" that is impressive about his intellect and accomplishments...but I do see unconditional love there also.

So if Derek is out there, just wish he could receive that message, somehow.

Hi all,

I was referred here from Reddit. Just letting you know we're doing an AMA on this case

http://redd.it/2ggpsj

an imgur album of the details of the case can be found here:

http://imgur.com/a/Y3mXu

Thank you!

I am not sure what this is...yes, I did click on it. But I am going to ask a very bold question. Will his closest friend (the one at the press conference) come on here to talk to us? Will he answers questions? We ALL want to help. But I do want to see if that friend at the conference can come on here...if anyone can convey this wish. He can read through our comments and see we DO care.

Ask Me Anything is (AMA) on Reddit. So, they will be answering questions about the case and Derek at the link provided. Sounds like a great opportunity to learn more. Welcome, HelpFindDerek. I wish it were under better circumstances.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back