Recovered/Located CA- Donald Stevens, 76, Thousand Oaks, 8 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

doodles1211

Reaction score
ea6a592d-54ce-40e0-8d1c-a355cd63d24d-IMG_3026.jpg

Thousand Oaks authorities are asking the public for help finding a man who has been missing since Friday afternoon.

Donald Stevens, 76, of Thousand Oaks, was last seen at 3 p.m. Friday when he left his residence to visit a relative at Los Robles Regional Medical Center, according to authorities.

Stevens suffers from dementia and is an insulin-dependent diabetic, authorities said. he did not have his medication with him when he left his home.

Stevens was driving a gray Honda Accord with California license plate 7ZPK098. He stands 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs approximately 180 pounds. He has white hair, blue eyes and a mustache and was wearing a long-sleeve blue and black shirt, blue jeans and brown shoes.

Anyone who has seen Stevens or has information of his whereabouts is asked to call authorities at 805-654-9511.

The California Highway Patrol issued a Silver Alert around 3 p.m. Saturday alerting residents in Ventura County and the surrounding area to help find Stevens.

Deputies ask for public's help in locating missing at-risk person

That hospital is notoriously confusing to find. I have driven sick or injured family members to that hospital several times over the years, and I usually get lost or turned around trying to find it and get into the entrance.

It is off the main drag and surrounded by homes. I didnt have dementia but I still managed to get lost nearly every time.

Local Results

Also, there are cameras everywhere there. I'd think they'd have seen him if he made it to the hospital parking lot.

Dementia, if it kicks in while he was driving, could have taken him way far afield by now.

Why was he driving :(
Terrible area to be confused in, esp trying to get on the freeway. Major intersection close by

I know. That is one of the most confusing intersections I know, and I lived there for 20 years. I still get confused there and if you want to try and change lanes-forget it. Not possible.

And yes, why are people with dementia driving?

I can give a view into why dementia sufferers might be driving. I started going blind at 35. I knew I’d have to stop driving eventually, but my eyes held up for about a year. I made the beyond difficult decision to medically retire my license. Ever since that day, 9.5yrs ago, I’ve felt “trapped”. Giving up driving takes away a significant chunk of your independence. It feels like you’re a burden, so you don’t go many places because you don’t want to ask for rides. Anywhere I go, I must find a ride. I rarely leave my apartment complex for that reason. I miss my independence to drive as much as my vision lost.

Perhaps, Mr. Stephens was in denial about his dementia. It’s a terrifying disease. Perhaps, he hadn’t had many incidences yet. He may have made the same drive thousands of times, so he assumed he’d be fine. It’s hard to say. I agree with @katydid23. If he had a dementia episode while driving, it’s hard to tell how far away he may have driven.

Being insulin dependent, he could have had an incident related to low blood sugar. He could have went into a coma. It would be so horrible if he had the dementia incident, drove far away and then went into a diabetic coma wherever he ended up at. If he’d left his wallet in his vehicle, perhaps ran out of gas in a desolate area and started walking, then had a diabetic coma...well, he could still be in a hospital somewhere with nobody knowing his identity.

I’m bouncing around ideas. That’s all they are, no links or anything. It’s all JMO. I hope Mr. Stephens is found soon and brought home safely. I’ll be praying.

Last edited:
Perhaps, Mr. Stephens was in denial about his dementia. It’s a terrifying disease. Perhaps, he hadn’t had many incidences yet. He may have made the same drive thousands of times, so he assumed he’d be fine.

Glad he was found alive. I've gone through this with my mother. Once we realized she was having serious problems and was diagnosed with dementia, the very difficult decision was made to take the car keys. It's just too dangerous, for her and for others as well. I've read way too many stories of dementia patients wandering off into the woods, then six months later when deer/duck season starts a hunter finds what the coyotes and buzzards haven't carted off.

I'd agree that denial and stubbornness is part of the equation. Sometimes I think they simply don't comprehend that anything at all is wrong.

Sorry to hear about your eyesight as well.

Glad he was found alive. I've gone through this with my mother. Once we realized she was having serious problems and was diagnosed with dementia, the very difficult decision was made to take the car keys. It's just too dangerous, for her and for others as well. I've read way too many stories of dementia patients wandering off into the woods, then six months later when deer/duck season starts a hunter finds what the coyotes and buzzards haven't carted off.

I'd agree that denial and stubbornness is part of the equation. Sometimes I think they simply don't comprehend that anything at all is wrong.

Sorry to hear about your eyesight as well.

Thank you. My Dad has dementia. It’s been getting progressively worse, rather quickly. We’ve discussed taking his keys, but I’m positive I’d never get every copy. He’d fight tooth and nail. I’m not sure what to do if that happens. You really do lose a ton of independence. I think they know that, so they cling to their licenses harder. I worry every time he leaves the house. I wonder if Mr. Stevens disappeared due to his dementia. I’m SO HAPPY he is found alive!

Thank you. My Dad has dementia. It’s been getting progressively worse, rather quickly. We’ve discussed taking his keys, but I’m positive I’d never get every copy. He’d fight tooth and nail. I’m not sure what to do if that happens. You really do lose a ton of independence. I think they know that, so they cling to their licenses harder. I worry every time he leaves the house.

I look at this way:

1.) They drive off to the grocery store two blocks away and get lost, pull over somewhere and wander off into the woods to die of exposure within 8-12 hours.

2.) They wreck the car killing themselves or others due to their deteriorated cognition.

3.) They're assaulted or killed by lowlifes who are always on the prowl for the elderly in general.

There's no easy answer. It's gut wrenching to watch someone go through this. Not to mention getting lawyers and social workers involved in addition to siblings squabbling over money. But the first thing is to protect the subject from themselves.

I'd say a man may be more ornery than a woman over losing driving privileges but I've seen it go both ways. Good luck and consult with estate attorneys and the state or county elderly services that may be available. They can provide advice.

This is more of a longer term solution but -- you can also talk to the DMV and request/suggest that the person's license be revoked, or at least not be renewed automatically without a driving test.

If you succeed in getting their license revoked but they persist in driving, you can also call the cops on them when you know they are out on the road.

I look at this way:

1.) They drive off to the grocery store two blocks away and get lost, pull over somewhere and wander off into the woods to die of exposure within 8-12 hours.

2.) They wreck the car killing themselves or others due to their deteriorated cognition.

3.) They're assaulted or killed by lowlifes who are always on the prowl for the elderly in general.

There's no easy answer. It's gut wrenching to watch someone go through this. Not to mention getting lawyers and social workers involved in addition to siblings squabbling over money. But the first thing is to protect the subject from themselves.

I'd say a man may be more ornery than a woman over losing driving privileges but I've seen it go both ways. Good luck and consult with estate attorneys and the state or county elderly services that may be available. They can provide advice.

This is more of a longer term solution but -- you can also talk to the DMV and request/suggest that the person's license be revoked, or at least not be renewed automatically without a driving test.

If you succeed in getting their license revoked but they persist in driving, you can also call the cops on them when you know they are out on the road.

Thank you both so very much. I appreciate it a lot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel
Back