CA CA - Dr. Enrique Garibay Ruiz, 51, Los Angeles, 6 Oct 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To me, blowing off a standby flight to go sightseeing seems even more out of character. Depending on how he was ticketed, it would push him back at least a day and likely longer. From the sequence of events, it also seems that he left the hostel and his whereabouts are unaccounted for since Oct. 3. They should be able to tell if he checked into the airport for his flight, at least. Did he sleep at the terminal?

I'm also wondering if they left Mexico due to him encountering problems at the university there -- perhaps being denied tenure. He doesn't seem to have been employed since then, and the story behind his trip to the U.S. seems to be shaky, IMO.

I'm hoping he'll be found and simply be disoriented due to medication or another reason. I fear this won't have a happy ending, either way.

That's a very important part in this whole story and what his intent was and LE might know the answer, but how can we find out---did he check in to the airport that he was there, waiting for a seat on a flight back to Hungary? We need to know if he ever made it to the airport to check in for standby.

Or had he checked out of the hostel, spent the night in the car and decided to disappear, never to be seen again and he didn't intend to go to the airport and wait for a plane? How can we get that info?

How can we get that info?

Maybe ask on the facebook page?

Here's a quick list of potential scenarios. We have very little confirmed info.

I'd think he never went to the airport, but then that Carl's Jr's location seems to indicate he at least drove by the airport.

Do we have any indication from anyone other than the family that he didn't catch the flight?

Possible Scenarios in no particular order:

1) Never made it to airport. Victim of foul play, car stashed, destroyed, dismantled or simply parked by him in an obscure location before he was victimized.

2) Never made it to airport OR made it to airport, then left again. Car accident, vehicle may be submerged in water or hidden in brush. He is deceased due to accident.

3) Never made it to airport. Voluntarily drove rental car to unknown location. Vehicle will be found eventually. May be starting new life; may have self-harmed.

4) Made it to airport, flew to Hungary, never made it home. Where is rental car?

5) Made it to airport, flew somewhere else or disembarked at waypoint. Could be in US or different country. Where is rental car? Can he tap other financial resources?

6) Crackpot:? He was renditioned by US or foreign government due to his expertise in nuclear physics. Will never be heard from again. Car will never be located.

Thoughts?

I think he may have decided to return to Mexico.

His passport would have had to have been used to go anywhere else that isn't in the United States. Hungary, Mexico, he would have needed it. Wondering if hey have information that it wasn't used since then?

His passport would have had to have been used to go anywhere else that isn't in the United States. Hungary, Mexico, he would have needed it. Wondering if hey have information that it wasn't used since then?

Good point. Since his wife is calling on the Mexican authorities to assist, I wonder if he is traveling on a Mexican passport. It may be as simple as Mexico likely having a greater diplomatic presence in the U.S.

Like LisaWL7TR, I’ve been speculating he may have wanted to extend his trip to Mexico. If he was seeking to be published in addition to visiting friends, wouldn’t it make sense to revisit his university connections? He’s familiar with that world. The Mexican authorities should be able to trace that, though.

I wonder if he also holds a Hungarian passport or visa. If he held more than one passport, that could complicate tracking his cross-border travels.

The current theory I'm working on is that his trip was unsuccessful. He was going home without having made headway with other scientists, publishers, etc. He was tired, perhaps to the point of exhaustion, and couldn't get home. It was the middle of the night at Carl's Jr. He may have felt at the end of his rope, away from his family, in a strange city with nowhere to sleep. We don't know his financial situation (at least I don't think?), and maybe (in a state of stress and exhaustion) he decided to end his life ... OR ... had a mental break, abandoned the car somewhere, and walked away.

This was the feeling I kept getting while searching over the weekend. He was at the Carl's Jr. in the middle of the night. There were hotels all around, but he didn't check in to any of them. The airport is less than a mile up the street, but he didn't seek free shelter there. The LAPD hasn't said whether they have him on camera, and it doesn't sound like the family knows anything.

Again, this is just my latest theory. I vacillate between this and a car accident, as it would have been dark and he didn't know his way around. It's just odd that it seems he had no contact with his family after speaking with them about being on a waiting list.

Did we ever find out where he said he was when he had that conversation with his family? Did he say he was in the airport, or was he speaking with the airline off site?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The current theory I'm working on is that his trip was unsuccessful. He was going home without having made headway with other scientists, publishers, etc. He was tired, perhaps to the point of exhaustion, and couldn't get home. It was the middle of the night at Carl's Jr. He may have felt at the end of his rope, away from his family, in a strange city with nowhere to sleep. We don't know his financial situation (at least I don't think?), and maybe (in a state of stress and exhaustion) he decided to end his life ... OR ... had a mental break, abandoned the car somewhere, and walked away.

This was the feeling I kept getting while searching over the weekend. He was at the Carl's Jr. in the middle of the night. There were hotels all around, but he didn't check in to any of them. The airport is less than a mile up the street, but he didn't seek free shelter there. The LAPD hasn't said whether they have him on camera, and it doesn't sound like the family knows anything.

Again, this is just my latest theory. I vacillate between this and a car accident, as it would have been dark and he didn't know his way around. It's just odd that it seems he had no contact with his family after speaking with them about being on a waiting list.

Did we ever find out where he said he was when he had that conversation with his family? Did he say he was in the airport, or was he speaking with the airline off site?

BBM. There seems to be some discrepencies in both the timeline and the reporting of where he said he was during the conversation with his family on Oct. 5.

In the first post of the thread, LisaWL7TR links to ABC7 with this account (does not specify that he stated he was at the airport):
Ruiz left Melrose Hostel in the 600 block of N. Western Avenue on Oct. 3 and spoke with his family on Oct. 5, saying he was on a waiting list for a flight. They said they noticed a charge on his card on Oct. 4 at Avis Rent a Car and at a Carl's Jr. restaurant on Oct. 6.​

A few posts later, tarabull linked to a Nov. 7, 2017, Google Translate page of a Univision-LA report (with video) -- that states he said he was at the airport in the 'waiting room:'
The same thing he planned to do in California, where he arrived on September 25 and after staying 10 days in Los Angeles, on October 5 Dr. Garibay telephoned his wife to tell her that he was at the airport in the waiting room to board a car. plane and return to Hungary.

Since this is auto-translated, it's difficult to ascertain whether the nuance of being on a waiting list vs. being at the airport waiting was lost. Here's the link to the original Univision report and the relevant paragraph is below. I'm not fluent in Spanish, but it looks like it specifies he was at the airport. Any Spanish-fluent websleuthers care to weigh in?
Lo mismo planeaba hacer en California, a donde arribó el 25 de septiembre y tras permanecer 10 días en Los Ángeles, el 5 de octubre el doctor Garibay llamó por teléfono a su esposa para decirle que estaba en el aeropuerto en sala de espera para abordar un avión y regresar a Hungría.

Finally, the Univision article (translated version) also states:
The family filed a disappearance report with the Los Angeles Police (LAPD) and it was confirmed that Garibay did not board any plane and that the Toyota RAV4 truck is still not returned to the rental company.

There are also several timeline discrepancies. Question for knowledgeable websleuthers: His family in Hungary seems to have access to his credit card charges. Would the timestamp on the charges show up in Local Time for Los Angeles or Local Time for Hungary? What's the usual practice? There's a nine-hour time difference.

Was Enrique at Carl's Jr. at 3:21 AM, Oct. 6, in LA Time (Pacific Time Zone) or in Hungary Time (Central European Time Zone)?

3:21 AM, Oct. 6, in the Central European Time Zone would be 12:26 PM Oct. 5 in Los Angeles.

Hmmm......

I'm not sure he INTENDED to go home. Publishing in the sciences does not require any face-to-face meetings. I have published in peer-reviewed nursing journals, as well as written a textbook chapter, and every editor and contact I've had dealings with were online. ALL of my editors work from home- not in offices. There was just not any really good reason to come to the states if his purpose was what he told his family.

I'm thinking this is voluntary, and he's out west maybe getting a fresh start. MOO and all that jazz....

A few posts later, tarabull linked to a Nov. 7, 2017, Google Translate page of a Univision-LA report (with video) -- that states he said he was at the airport in the 'waiting room:'
The same thing he planned to do in California, where he arrived on September 25 and after staying 10 days in Los Angeles, on October 5 Dr. Garibay telephoned his wife to tell her that he was at the airport in the waiting room to board a car. plane and return to Hungary.

Since this is auto-translated, it's difficult to ascertain whether the nuance of being on a waiting list vs. being at the airport waiting was lost. Here's the link to the original Univision report and the relevant paragraph is below. I'm not fluent in Spanish, but it looks like it specifies he was at the airport. Any Spanish-fluent websleuthers care to weigh in?
Lo mismo planeaba hacer en California, a donde arribó el 25 de septiembre y tras permanecer 10 días en Los Ángeles, el 5 de octubre el doctor Garibay llamó por teléfono a su esposa para decirle que estaba en el aeropuerto en sala de espera para abordar un avión y regresar a Hungría.

RSBM

I speak a little bit Spanish. It says he called his wife to say he was at the airport in the waiting room to board a plane. I don't know how the word 'car' got into the translation as there's no car mentioned in the Spanish sentence.

"Sala de espera" is a waiting room, not a waiting list (lista de espera). It sounds like he already had a seat on a flight and was waiting to board. jmo

Perhaps he went back to his previous life in Mexico and the people he left behind.

So did he check out of Melrose Hostel on October 3rd???

Snipped...

https://translate.google.ca/transla...viajaria-de-los-angeles-a-hungria&prev=search

Questions were asked regarding his passport, there's some info snipped from the above link:

...On September 15 he entered with a Spanish passport to the United States to spend a vacation and negotiate the publication of some of his books, according to his family members.

...After several days without knowing his whereabouts , a report of disappearance was presented to the LAPD and assistance was requested from the Consulate of Mexico in Los Angeles to try to locate him.

The consular authorities issued a bulletin that Garibay has the Mexican and Spanish nationalities , but that his official address is in Hungary, where he lives with his wife who is a citizen of that European country

...During his stay in Los Angeles, Dr. Garibay stayed at a hostel on Western Avenue, almost on the corner of Melrose , where the shared rooms cost $ 33, and the one he left on October 3.

Dr. Garibay is born in Mexico and his maternal family is originally from Cantabria, Spain. After completing his basic studies in his native country, in the second half of the 1980s he received a scholarship to study nuclear physics at the University of Debrecen, in Hungary.

He later obtained a Ph.D. in computational neuroscience at the physics school of Brandeis University, in Massachusetts, United States, before returning to Mexico and working as a professor of physics, mathematics and computer science at the Leon, Guanajuato campus of the Institute. Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM).

:thinking:

Questions were asked regarding his passport, there's some info snipped from the above link:

...On September 15 he entered with a Spanish passport to the United States to spend a vacation and negotiate the publication of some of his books, according to his family members.

...After several days without knowing his whereabouts , a report of disappearance was presented to the LAPD and assistance was requested from the Consulate of Mexico in Los Angeles to try to locate him.

The consular authorities issued a bulletin that Garibay has the Mexican and Spanish nationalities , but that his official address is in Hungary, where he lives with his wife who is a citizen of that European country

...During his stay in Los Angeles, Dr. Garibay stayed at a hostel on Western Avenue, almost on the corner of Melrose , where the shared rooms cost $ 33, and the one he left on October 3.

Dr. Garibay is born in Mexico and his maternal family is originally from Cantabria, Spain. After completing his basic studies in his native country, in the second half of the 1980s he received a scholarship to study nuclear physics at the University of Debrecen, in Hungary.

He later obtained a Ph.D. in computational neuroscience at the physics school of Brandeis University, in Massachusetts,United States, before returning to Mexico and working as a professor of physics, mathematics and computer science at the Leon, Guanajuato campus of the Institute. Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM).

BBM.... I wonder if he shared a room with anyone. If they heard or know anything

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica....s-to-los-angeles-from-hungary-and-disappears/

This page has a bit of background information on Enrique. He is Mexican-Spanish and met his wife while studying in Hungary. They have two teenaged children. The family is desperate to find him. He is a freelance scientist and author and came to the US to meet other scientists.

I hope he is alright and calls home.

Sadly no updates in msm I can find.

ETA: don't rental cars have some sort of tracking device usually?

Info at the link above say last seen around 1pm on Oct 5 in the 600 block of N. Western Avenue in LA....

IF he was at the airport already waiting to board a plane, where is the car???

ETA: Have to wonder too about the shared room like you Maroon10

ETA2: Wondering more, did he send a text saying he was at the airport OR was there an actual phone call???

Info at the link above say last seen around 1pm on Oct 5 in the 600 block of N. Western Avenue in LA....

IF he was at the airport already waiting to board a plane, where is the car???

ETA: Have to wonder too about the shared room like you Maroon10

ETA2: Wondering more, did he send a text saying he was at the airport OR was there an actual phone call???

bbm The quoted text above (ElementalLaura's post) says he called - "llamó por teléfono" is a phone call.

If he was at the airport waiting to board, he must have changed his mind and left because he never boarded a plane. imo

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica....s-to-los-angeles-from-hungary-and-disappears/

This page has a bit of background information on Enrique. He is Mexican-Spanish and met his wife while studying in Hungary. They have two teenaged children. The family is desperate to find him. He is a freelance scientist and author and came to the US to meet other scientists.

I hope he is alright and calls home.

Sadly no updates in msm I can find.

ETA: don't rental cars have some sort of tracking device usually?

The post by his wife at this link above, she doesn't mention any contact from the airport....fwiw :thinking: Neither do the posters (at THAT link) mention the airport, as far as i can tell, fwiw.

ETA: just an observation is all...

Where is Enrique????

:candle:

Thinking out loud ...

IF he were really at the airport, he would have been captured by security cameras. LE has got to know if Enrique was ever inside the airport, don't you think? They would be able to put a timeline together for potential flights to Hungary, they'd know whether he checked in, whether he cleared security, etc. LAX is huge, but he would have only been in the Bradley terminal for international travel. It's not like he could have been wandering around the entire airport. If he were there, they would have seen him or been able to track his movements.

Hmmm......

I'm not sure he INTENDED to go home. Publishing in the sciences does not require any face-to-face meetings. I have published in peer-reviewed nursing journals, as well as written a textbook chapter, and every editor and contact I've had dealings with were online. ALL of my editors work from home- not in offices. There was just not any really good reason to come to the states if his purpose was what he told his family.

I'm thinking this is voluntary, and he's out west maybe getting a fresh start. MOO and all that jazz....
I was thinking this exact thing. I've been in academia and my father was a humanities professor, and nowadays there's no need for face to face meetings. If he told his family that this was the sole purpose of his trip, that's suspicious. Why didn't he continue his job as an professor? It's unusual to leave the security of academia unless there's a great job in the private sector or his wife was wealthy. But the $33 hostel wouldn't fit that scenario. I wonder if he met someone online in the USA and had a secret phone to communicate? Wouldn't he have a list of contacts for the trip in his email or phone log? I wonder if they found that. If he took the car to Mexico, it might be easier to keep it or get new plates for it. I feel he left voluntarily for some reason.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back