CA - Dr. Felix Polk, 70, stabbed to death, Orinda, 14 Oct 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Judge shut down Eli's testimony today, due to Susan's behavior. She kept interupting the judge, more objections, and giggling.
http://www.courttv.com/trials/polk/042706-pm_ctv.html

Remember when Susan fired Horowitz? When he was asked about if she was ready for trial, didn't he reply that yes he thought she was ready? Now I am wondering if he meant that sarcastically, as in oh yeah she thinks she is ready!??
Also I am wondering after what she said about him, if he is sitting at home and enjoying watching the news of her trial?

I've been following this case, and I've never seen someone talk their way INTO first degree murder! :doh:

She actually told the judge, "No, you interrupted ME!"

Reports are that jurists roll their eyes openly now. The one son who testified on her behalf just had to read a letter where he essentially contradicted himself 100%, saying that he felt safer with Felix Polk than with his mother. Each day when I think it can't get worse, it does. She lodged 1 objection per minute all day Friday.

Yet asked the judge how to not "offend" the jury in suggesting that they remain awake for the testimony. *hooting*

Oh....my, my.....:bang:

IF this were not a real life case with a real life murder that probably involved some suffering of the victim i would enjoy the comic relief susan polk provides in my life. what a control-freak! what a sad situation for her children. i know she undoubtedly suffers from some mental illness, but i think she meant to murder felix polk and planned the "cover-up". i believe in the end the jury will see her exactly for what she is and convict her of this crime.

I hope all those boys are in some serious therapy. It's mind boggling to think that Susan thinks she's doing herself a favor by defending herself.

Is it just me or does this letter from her son sound more like something you would write to a lover?? Very disturbing......:sick:

http://www.courttv.com/trials/polk/050106_ctv.html

MARTINEZ, Calif. — When Susan Polk was arrested nearly four years ago for stabbing her husband to death with a paring knife, one man stood by her and wrote her letters of devotion while she sat in jail awaiting trial on a first-degree murder charge.

"I miss you so much it is driving me crazy ... You are everything to me. I will be there for you for the rest of my life ... The truth about Dad needs to come out," said one of the letters penned by Polk's son, Eli, who took the stand for a sixth day Monday in his mother's murder trial.

"I will always be there for you. You dying is like a part of me dead as well," Eli read aloud Monday from a letter he wrote his mother shortly after she stabbed his father. Polk, who is acting as her own attorney, faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted of murdering her husband. Prosecutors opted not to ask for the death penalty.
Polk urged her son to read the passages to jurors to bolster her claim that her husband was abusive and to counter the prosecution's suggestion that Eli will lie under oath to protect his mother.

The 48-year-old housewife admits she stabbed her 70-year-old psychologist husband, Dr. Frank "Felix" Polk, in October 2002, but she says it was in self-defense after they fought over the knife.

Eli, 20, is the only one of the couple's three sons to defend their mother. Eli has testified that his father was mentally and physically abusive to the entire family.

Eli was in juvenile detention serving a nine-month sentence for a battery conviction at the time of his father's death. He previously testified that he placed his mother's photo in a frame he made in woodshop and hung it in his locker so he could gaze at her picture every day.

"P.S. I wake up to your face," Eli continued reading to the jury from his letter Monday, choking back tears as he reached the end. "I love you enough to burn all I am and meet you in the afterlife."

Tears streamed down his mother's pale cheeks as he finished reading.

georgiagirl said:
Is it just me or does this letter from her son sound more like something you would write to a lover?? Very disturbing......:sick:

http://www.courttv.com/trials/polk/050106_ctv.html

MARTINEZ, Calif. — When Susan Polk was arrested nearly four years ago for stabbing her husband to death with a paring knife, one man stood by her and wrote her letters of devotion while she sat in jail awaiting trial on a first-degree murder charge.

"I miss you so much it is driving me crazy ... You are everything to me. I will be there for you for the rest of my life ... The truth about Dad needs to come out," said one of the letters penned by Polk's son, Eli, who took the stand for a sixth day Monday in his mother's murder trial.

"I will always be there for you. You dying is like a part of me dead as well," Eli read aloud Monday from a letter he wrote his mother shortly after she stabbed his father. Polk, who is acting as her own attorney, faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted of murdering her husband. Prosecutors opted not to ask for the death penalty.
Polk urged her son to read the passages to jurors to bolster her claim that her husband was abusive and to counter the prosecution's suggestion that Eli will lie under oath to protect his mother.

The 48-year-old housewife admits she stabbed her 70-year-old psychologist husband, Dr. Frank "Felix" Polk, in October 2002, but she says it was in self-defense after they fought over the knife.

Eli, 20, is the only one of the couple's three sons to defend their mother. Eli has testified that his father was mentally and physically abusive to the entire family.

Eli was in juvenile detention serving a nine-month sentence for a battery conviction at the time of his father's death. He previously testified that he placed his mother's photo in a frame he made in woodshop and hung it in his locker so he could gaze at her picture every day.

"P.S. I wake up to your face," Eli continued reading to the jury from his letter Monday, choking back tears as he reached the end. "I love you enough to burn all I am and meet you in the afterlife."

Tears streamed down his mother's pale cheeks as he finished reading.
Yes, it is rather a sick letter and does seem to indicate a rather strange relationship. I feel bad for Eli in the sense that he's not as independent and emotional strong as his brothers. I truly hope that he does learn to accept responsibility for his actions, gets help, and has a good life.

As for Susan, it looks like she will be found guilty and spend many years in prison. Good. She did murder Felix and let him bleed to death. I'm almost afraid to address her unusual relationship with Eli, but atleast if she is in prison, maybe Eli will finally have an opportunity to be away from her influence and get the help he needs.

IMO

:eek: :eek: :sick:

this letter is sick! and thank you for posting it. i love both of my parents and could never visualize an instance when i would write that kind of stuff to either one, let alone the opposite-sex parent. i am glad the jury got to hear the letter. i think they will realize the the relationship between eli and susan is a sick and even inappropriate one and will realize that his testimony is not objective.

izzyB said:
:eek: :eek: :sick:

this letter is sick! and thank you for posting it. i love both of my parents and could never visualize an instance when i would write that kind of stuff to either one, let alone the opposite-sex parent. i am glad the jury got to hear the letter. i think they will realize the the relationship between eli and susan is a sick and even inappropriate one and will realize that his testimony is not objective.
If I recieved such a letter from my son, I would definitely have him in therapy. Sheesh!

I also found his grandmother's comment to be odd given the context... sounds almost like a school girl talking about her crush...:waitasec:

snip
"Gosh, he's good-looking," Bolling remarked Monday as she watched Eli take the stand after entering the courtroom from a side door in handcuffs. "That's my grandson."
When someone commented that all three of her grandsons were handsome, Bolling replied, "Well, thank you. But only one has real character."

georgiagirl said:
I also found his grandmother's comment to be odd given the context... sounds almost like a school girl talking about her crush...:waitasec:

snip
"Gosh, he's good-looking," Bolling remarked Monday as she watched Eli take the stand after entering the courtroom from a side door in handcuffs. "That's my grandson."
When someone commented that all three of her grandsons were handsome, Bolling replied, "Well, thank you. But only one has real character."
What an awful thing for a grandmother to say about the two sons that are NOT on Susan's side. That's cruel.

rachelslaw said:
What an awful thing for a grandmother to say about the two sons that are NOT on Susan's side. That's cruel.
The whoel familys seems to have been deeply screwed in the noggin on all sides for three generations.

It's been my observation (after havign been married to the son of a child psychologist) that the more money build up the through he generations, the more time they have to seriously screw up their kids between the ears. And that is especially true of the children of mental health professionals--the shoemaker's children going barefoot, etc.

POSTED: 3:04 pm PDT May 3, 2006
UPDATED: 4:56 pm PDT May 3, 2006

MARTINEZ -- The simmering emotions flared up again Wednesday at the Susan Polk murder trial as the defendant and her son, Eli, were forcibly removed from the court following another verbal altercation with the prosecutor in the case.

Susan Polk, who is defending herself, has been questioning her son for parts of the last six days of the trial. Eli Polk is the only one of her three sons testifying in her defense. The other two -- Gabriel Polk, 19, and Adam Polk, 23 -- have testified for the prosecution and told jurors that their mother was unstable and killed their father.

On Tuesday, Eli Polk claimed the testimony of his estranged brothers of false. But that was only the beginning. Polk -- who is currently in custody on charges he assaulted his girlfriend -- claimed a juror was 'napping' and after the jury and judge broke for lunch verbally confronted prosecutor Paul Sequeira.

Eli Polk told Sequeira to 'knock it off.'

The prosecutor replied: "You can't talk to me -- you're in custody." Then deputies removed Polk from court.

Susan Polk joined in -- declaring at one point that Sequeira "needs a spanking." Eventually, she was also removed by deputies. more at link:http://www.ktvu.com/news/9156328/detail.html

ORINDA: Judge halts proceeding; defendant to finish questioning today

By Bruce Gerstman

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Posted on Wed, May. 03, 2006

Murder defendant Susan Polk continued cross-examining her middle son Tuesday in a rambling proceeding that the judge ended early after the witness accused the prosecutor of smiling at him.

Polk tried to elicit testimony from her son that police arrested him and prosecutors charged him with a felony in 2003 after a high-speed chase not because he was speeding over 120 mph, but because he was a witness in her trial.

Later, Eli Polk told Superior Court Judge Laurel Brady that deputy district attorney Paul Sequeira was smiling at him. more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/email/news/14488321.htm

well what can you say about antics such as these? that susan is making a mockery of the judicial system? the judge in the beginning bent over backwards since susan was acting as her own attorney, but now what kind of fair trial is the state receiving. this whole thing is a farce.

MARTINEZ, Calif. — Murder defendant Susan Polk is fighting to keep a prosecutor from introducing evidence about essays that were allegedly found in a cabin in Montana where Polk stayed a year before her husband's stabbing death — essays about a wife killing her husband and a mother having sex with a son.

"There's an allegation that a dirty story was found under a mattress, and another story was found — a murder story ... if they even exist," Polk argued to the judge Wednesday morning outside the presence of the jury. "I cleaned the house thoroughly and I never saw it."

"There's speculation that I wrote the dirty story, and that I wrote the murder story ... and that's total slander. He should be ashamed of himself!" Polk said of Assistant District Attorney Paul Sequeira. Sequeira said he was still investigating information he received from Chris Harris, a former congressman and Polk's Bozeman, Mont., landlord when she stayed in a cabin he owned in fall 2001 with her sons Gabriel and Eli.

Story continues[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]advertisement[/font]
var whichToShow2=new Number(Math.floor(100 * Math.random())+1);if (whichToShow2

Man I wish this trial was on Court TV, this is a freak show!

Moe said:
Man I wish this trial was on Court TV, this is a freak show!

i also wish this was on CTV, but can you imagine with all the interruptions of susan, and then on top of that all the interruptions the CTV anchors make when they and their guests "analyze" the testimony, the poor viewer would get precious few shreds of the trial.

i will buy catherine crier's book about this case. i know there were some minor errors in her book on the scott peterson case, but i attribute most of those to her rush to get it published. i do not think there will be that same kind of pressure in this case, since the trial has not been televised and is not the subject of nightly talk shows the same way the peterson case was.

MARTINEZ, Calif. — Eli Polk completed an eighth and final contentious day on the witness stand Wednesday, telling jurors that his father's stabbing death could have been prevented if someone had spoken up about his father's abusive behavior toward his mother, murder defendant Susan Polk.

"Isn't it true that your dad did try to prevent it, and now he's dead?" the prosecutor asked, referring to phone calls the victim made to police in the days before his wife stabbed him to death with a paring knife in their $1.85 million home.

"First of all, I believe he attacked her that night and she defended herself," Eli said, adding that his father had "every opportunity" to try to make his marriage work. "Your father's dead, isn't he?" the prosecutor asked.
"I'm not answering that question," Eli said.

California housewife Susan Polk, 48, is defending herself at trial against the October 2002 first-degree murder of her 70-year-old psychologist husband, Dr. Felix Polk.

Shortly before the incident, Polk had learned from her divorce attorney that she was about to lose the couple's home, custody of their youngest son, Gabriel, and a significant portion of her spousal support.

Prosecutors say she then decided to kill her husband of 20 years.

But Polk claims she acted in self-defense against a Svengali-like husband, who first became her lover when she was 15 and his patient.

Eli, 20, is her sole defender among her three children. Gabriel, 19, and Adam, 23, have testified for the prosecution that their mother is delusional and openly fantasized about killing their father.

Eli told jurors that his father was mentally and physically abusive and that Felix wielded his power over the courts and as a secret Israeli intelligence agent to oppress his wife and continue his violence upon the family.

No evidence has been presented to support Eli and his mother's claim that Felix Polk was a Mossad agent.

Eli also said that his brothers' testimony was influenced by attorneys and other individuals who have conspired to "loot" the family's estate.

"So, does crime pay?" Polk asked her son Wednesday.

"Well, I understand Adam and Gabriel didn't bother getting up here to tell the truth," Eli said.

Spending spree

Eli's testimony, while heartfelt, was marred by his personal troubles over the years, and by his and his mother's unruly behavior in the courtroom.

Polk objected no less than 50 times during roughly an hour of Eli's cross-examination Wednesday, arguing with the judge and the attorney, and interrupting so frequently that the court reporter — who cannot type while more than one person is talking — threw up her hands and said, "I can't do this. I'm just going to go."

"OK," Polk said, smiling. She has previously accused the court reporter of making faces at her and purposely leaving things out of the record.

During his cross-examination, Assistant District Attorney Paul Sequeira pointed out, through Polk's own e-mails to her son in summer 2003, that Eli had his own issues with money.

"Stop spending!" Polk had written her son in all capital letters. "No impulse shopping!"

Eli admitted he spent nearly $40,000 worth of his inheritance in just three months, while he was living in a fraternity house at his brother Adam's UCLA campus. He said he paid attorney fees, bought clothes, and ate his meals out because the fraternity had no refrigerator.

Sequeira also drew on Eli's extensive criminal record, including separate incidents as a juvenile involving possession of marijuana, harassment of another student, and battery, as well as his adult cases including a 2005 felony conviction for evading arrest and a recent domestic violence charge for which he is currently awaiting trial.

Eli and his mother are both in custody and claim they have been the victims of malicious prosecution. Eli testified that his father, who once served as chief psychologist of Alameda County conspired with judges to mete out harsh punishments on him as a juvenile.

Although Eli was polite on the stand, always saying "please" and "sir," he constantly glared at the prosecutor and appeared to be policing the courtroom during his eight days as a witness.

He twice interrupted his testimony to tell the judge that he saw a juror with her eyes closed as if asleep. He reported recognizing a potential witness in the gallery. He also informed the court Tuesday that the prosecutor was smiling at him.

On Wednesday, after the judge and jury filed out for lunch, Eli picked a fight with Sequeira, telling him to quit making faces at him.

Sequeira yelled at Eli not to talk to him; Eli vowed to keep talking; Polk yelled at Sequeira to stop smirking at her son; the two deputies in the courtroom immediately took custody of Polk and Eli and told them both to be quiet.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/polk/050306_ctv.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drella444
Back