CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking around, but not immediately finding anything about the perp's teeth.
Any chance he wore braces affecting the way he spoke and breathed?
If so, maybe there is a dentist in his( earlier crime area ) who would have an inkling of who he might be?
speculation, imo.

http://www.ear-ons.com/investigate7.html

I don't think so, that's something witnesses surely would have noticed, a grown man with braces.

Is there information as to whether or not he had straight teeth?

The only information about his teeth as far as I know was that he frequently talked through clenched teeth.

Any chance the perp has either moved to, or operated in Canada?
It is interesting to note that the interviewer for this type of perp, .is similar to the Detective, who very successfully interrogated Russell Williams the former Col. in Canada, the perp whom i previously stated, reminded me of EAR..
imo, speculation.

Rbbm.
http://www.ear-ons.com/nightstalkerprofile.pdf
Pages 13, 15.

I have the feeling EARs would be offended at the comparison. Russell Williams may have been high ranking in the military but he wasnt nearly as good a serial killer/rapist. It feels wrong to make it seem like a contest, but if it were EARs is way out of Williams league.

This article is from 2013, wonder how accurate some of the accounts might be.
If the perp did in fact, have surprisingly full eyelashes, wondering if he may have worn makeup under those ski masks?
If true that he was " made fun of for being small " and was somewhat bowlegged, wouldn't students remember someone like that, ie plus. high voice, clenched teeth, thick eyelashes, acne scars, penchant for lotion, ect?

Could it really have been a complete coincidence that after the meeting where a man stated he could protect his wife, is later found murdered with his wife?
Was the perp at that meeting,in some capacity?
imo, speculation.

http://www.lamag.com/thejump/in-the-footsteps-of-a-killer-the-writers-cut/
In The Footsteps of a Killer: The Writer’s Cut

February 27, 2013 Michelle McNamara
One victim decided to try a bit of reverse psychology and told him he was a good lover. He stopped abruptly and said no one had ever told him that before. People made fun of him because he was small, he said.

When a man rose at a crime prevention meeting at Del Dayo Elementary School and questioned how men could fail to protect their wives, he and his wife became victims—case number 21 in the files.
Another, under hypnosis, reported a tattoo of a black bull’s head with white horns on his forearm. The ten-year-old son of one victim saw his eyes and nose in the light and said the man had very white skin and very blue eyes. And possibly a funny gait, as if he were bowlegged.

The man got up close to the intruder and locked eyes with him. Later, under hypnosis, he described the intruder’s eyes as deep-set and boyish, with large irises and strangely full lashes.

This article is from 2013, wonder how accurate some of the accounts might be.
If the perp did in fact, have surprisingly full eyelashes, wondering if he may have worn makeup under those ski masks?
If true that he was " made fun of for being small " and was somewhat bowlegged, wouldn't students remember someone like that, ie plus. high voice, clenched teeth, thick eyelashes, acne scars, penchant for lotion, ect?

Could it really have been a complete coincidence that after the meeting where a man stated he could protect his wife, is later found murdered with his wife?
Was the perp at that meeting,in some capacity?
imo, speculation.

http://www.lamag.com/thejump/in-the-footsteps-of-a-killer-the-writers-cut/
In The Footsteps of a Killer: The Writer’s Cut

February 27, 2013 Michelle McNamara

The man and his wife from the meeting were NOT murdered. They were tied up and the wife was raped.

Familial DNA i think will be the Key to catching this guy. There is a chance he could have a relative that has entered the Codis system.

Familial DNA i think will be the Key to catching this guy. There is a chance he could have a relative that has entered the Codis system.

Thinking you are on the right track, familial DNA has been very successful, although occasionally mistakes are made, but for this guy, it is worth the risk, imo.
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/could-a-forbidden-dna-technique-track-taylor-s-killer-1.730566
A technique known as familial DNA searching -- not currently permitted in Canada -- allows investigators to search for close, partial matches in genetic data banks. That means that police can identify criminals who might be the unnamed suspect's brother, father or sister.

It might sound far-fetched, but research shows that crime often runs in families. One study conducted in the States showed that 30 per cent of men in the prison system have brothers who are also incarcerated.

And the technique has been used to solve some pretty high-profile, grisly cases. Perhaps most famously, Los Angeles police tracked down their suspect in the famed "Grim Sleeper" murders by identifying his son.

Lonnie Franklin Jr. was arrested last year on suspicion that he killed at least 10 people over 25 years. The DNA samples found at the murder scenes didn't match anything in California's offenders database, but the genetic sequence on the killer's Y sex chromosome was so close to another man's, the offender could only be the father or son of the serial killer.

It turns out that Franklin's son had recently been arrested. Police were able to take a swab from a cup used by the elder Franklin, and his DNA turned out to be a perfect match for the killer.

Familial DNA searching was also used in England to catch a rapist two decades after he raped at least six women and stole their stiletto shoes.

Aug 20, 2013
The Flaws of Familial DNA Matching
https://psmag.com/the-flaws-of-familial-dna-matching-c07a070fe20e#.u140jrdhd
The study brings up another important consideration about familial searches: because the accuracy of the matching depends on the number and types of samples that already exist in the database, the accuracy of the matching will vary with ethnicity.

For instance, it’s a fact that African Americans are disproportionately represented in the criminal justice system as well as in crime-fighting databases. In this experiment, “while the overall rate of false identification of unrelated individuals remains low,” the rate of false positives of African Americans was “much higher, roughly two orders of magnitude higher” than other groups. (By comparison, there were relatively few Native American DNA samples in their sample group; the familial matching of Native American samples produced no false positives.)

If African Americans suffer disproportionately from false-positive matches, and also from very-distant-relative matches, it follows that they will suffer disproportionately from intrusions of privacy and police interrogations:

Limiting investigations to the immediate family members of known offenders at least minimizes the intrusion on innocent relatives within those racial groups. But if more distant relations are included, the web of potential ‘genetic suspects’ becomes still broader, and may effectively encompass entire communities. It takes only one member of a large and varied family tree to render every father, brother, half-brother, cousin, half-cousin, uncle, nephew and so on vulnerable to scrutiny and surreptitious sampling by law enforcement officers.

So add these to the litany of problems with DNA collection and identification that law enforcement agencies and courts already have to contend with, including but not limited to contamination, lab errors, and privacy concerns. DNA evidence can do a lot of good: it has allowed hundreds of wrongly-accused prisoners to finally go free, and it has correctly identified countless dangerous criminals as well. But it is a very new science. And every new branch of science brings new wonders (which will likely be challenged in turn): another study out this month from the University of Kent promises a way to identify which brand of lipstick a person was wearing at a crime scene, without even removing the lipstick-stained glass or cigarette butt from its evidence-collection bag.

My daughter thought maybe the DNA 23 and me or something like that could catch this guy, but I doubt those connect with codis. Maybe they should....

Article detailing how a reformed burglar broke into residences. Primarily involved apt. buildings, but perhaps EAR may have used similar methods, imo. fwiw.
https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/04/30/excerpt-confessions-of-a-toronto-thief.html
By Geoff Manaugh
April 30, 2016

Excerpt: Confessions of a Toronto thief

To “Jack Dakswin” — one of the experts quoted in A Burglar’s Guide to the City — building codes and architectural plans are essential tools of the trade.

Dakswin’s interest in burglary was even more explicitly architectural than (Confessions of a Master Jewel Thief’s) Bill Mason’s, and it came down to a close reading of building exteriors and a detailed understanding of the regulations that shaped them. Dakswin had learned to use the city’s fire code as a kind of inadvertent burglary tool: a targeting system for determining which specific building to hit next.

As Dakswin explained it, he had spent so much time studying the city’s fire code that he could now anticipate, to a remarkably accurate degree, what awaited him inside a given building. He had begun to notice patterns. He explained, for example, that the location of an external fire escape or emergency door, including how many of each a building had, were burglary clues hiding in plain sight and were the easiest signs to look for. These would indicate everything from how many apartments you might find per floor, to how big you might expect those apartments to be. Knowing the maximum legal distance an individual apartment could be from the nearest emergency door meant that you could also deduce the building’s layout from the placement of those exits. You could then judge, in advance, where the entryways to different apartments might be on one floor, then plan your path through the building accordingly. All this could be done before setting foot inside the building: Dakswin could all but sketch a floor plan simply from looking at a building’s fire escape system from the street. “I don’t know how many guys go through as much detail as I do,” he admitted.

These urban fire codes also govern which internal emergency exit doors in a building are meant to be left unalarmed. For example, in highrise buildings, such as multi-unit condominiums and even offices, the emergency fire exit stairs will not be alarmed on every floor. “Sometimes it will be the first floor, the fifth floor, the ninth floor — it will go up in a pattern,” he pointed out. If Dakswin had just broken into an apartment on the fifth floor of a building and he now needed to get outside, fast, he could just open the unlocked emergency exit door and flee down the stairwell — without setting off an alarm. On the fourth floor, however — or the sixth floor, or the seventh — he would not have been so lucky. This also means that residents on those floors would do well to learn whether their emergency exit door is one that remains alarmed at all times; if not, they might want to invest in a little extra home security. “Understanding the fire regulations has been extremely helpful,” Dakswin said, “because the last thing you want to do when you’re leaving a building, or even going down a floor, is to set off an alarm.”

dotr, EAR/ONS frequently invaded homes with similar floor plans and was usually a corner home on the block with a green area behind it.

New very good article about the crimes and also about Cheri Domingo's daughter and the effect on her life. Debbie Domingo has been trying to bring awareness to the cases so that EAR/ONS can be caught.

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/go...er_golden_state_killer_night_stalker_20160808

Also here is a link to a document/statement from 2 family members of EAR/ONS victims.

https://shareforthevictims.wordpress.com/2016/07/11/eastarearapistgoldenstatekiller/

This is such a fascinating case that should be at the top of everyone's list for cold cases ....if only for the sheer number of crimes. Who knows if the list of victims is even complete.....?

I still think this case is very solveable and the guy - if still alive - is probably in his 60ies now.

Has there ever been a suspect named in this case? I would guess they have plenty of DNA, wouldnt it be easy to get a defintive answer quickly?

This is such a fascinating case that should be at the top of everyone's list for cold cases ....if only for the sheer number of crimes. Who knows if the list of victims is even complete.....?

Has there ever been a suspect named in this case? I would guess they have plenty of DNA, wouldnt it be easy to get a defintive answer quickly?

Welcome to Ws tilomagnet!
It is a fascinating, but horrifying case and it must be solved- that guy may still be out there and who knows how many other crimes he may have committed!
Familial DNA might be the way to go, but what if he has moved to another country?!
imo.

I do think he has committed many more crimes but we don't know because he stopped leaving his DNA and he most likely moved to a new area. I do think it is solvable. They have had many POI and they have been ruled out by DNA. There also have been long ago suspects who were incorrectly cleared and need a second look but many of the police files are no longer in existence.

I think the last trace of him was at least one terrorizing phone call he made in the 90ies to one of his Sacramento victims, that means more than 5 years after the last confirmed murder and 15 years after the original crime! I would therefore assume he did effectively "retire" unless he changed his MO completely. But I have never heard of any sightings or descriptions that have been linked to the ONS after the 1986 murder. One theory Ive heard is that he might have been killed in the process of an home invasion but it seems more likely he went dormant or died of natural causes IMO.

Also the gap 1981 - 86 in murders may be a significant clue, of course unless there are other cases not yet linked to him in this timeframe.

Just started thread about a sk in China, who, after 30 years was finally arrested thanks to the dna collected from a relative of his who was charged with a minor crime!
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?315829-Arrest-China-s-Jack-the-Ripper-targeted-women-girls-who-wore-red&p=12773900#post12773900
Arrest China's 'Jack the Ripper' targeted women/girls who wore red.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...er-snared-by-police-after-decades-of-mystery/
In March this year, a new investigation was launched using the latest technologies in DNA and biological evidence-gathering.

Police finally made a breakthrough when Gao was identified after they detained his uncle in connection with a minor crime.
Officers collected his DNA and carried out tests which determined that he was a relative of the alleged serial killer, the China Daily said.

I am amazed at how many young males, in their late teens to 20's, have been perpetrators of dramatic crimes. EAR/ONS is one. Other examples include John Wilkes Booth (he was 26 when he shot president Lincoln) and Ted Bundy (he was 24 when he assassinated JFK). It seems many of these perpetrators have a sense of invincibility that maybe tied with being young.

I am new to the forum but not new to the case, and just wanted to share this thought I had. Thank you.

I am amazed at how many young males, in their late teens to 20's, have been perpetrators of dramatic crimes. EAR/ONS is one. Other examples include John Wilkes Booth (he was 26 when he shot president Lincoln) and Ted Bundy (he was 24 when he assassinated JFK). It seems many of these perpetrators have a sense of invincibility that maybe tied with being young.

I am new to the forum but not new to the case, and just wanted to share this thought I had. Thank you.

Glad you chimed in CMNorthToSouth!
Dramatic is the perfect word to describe perps.in that age group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachelle(Ru-shell)