CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite possibly the creepiest thing I've ever heard. I heard it on a podcast when I was cleaning the house and had to literally back myself into a corner and crawl up into a ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still think he should be referred to as "The baby dick killer" Ha!

Man I've been obsessed with this case. Some scary ****. I recommend to anyone wishing to learn more about earons to check out the questerfiles. His site is a little hard to navigate but it has every rape and murder in chronological order with all the details of each. He has all the dates along with pictures of the a streets and houses. The most information on the web about this case by far.

http://www.viralnova.com/east-area-rapist-search-renewed/
[h=3]The East Area Rapist liked to keep trophies from his victims like rings and coins, which is a major clue investigators say to look out for.[/h]
attachment.php

Attachments

• desktop-1476539347.png.jpg
    desktop-1476539347.png.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 191
Man I've been obsessed with this case. Some scary ****. I recommend to anyone wishing to learn more about earons to check out the questerfiles. His site is a little hard to navigate but it has every rape and murder in chronological order with all the details of each. He has all the dates along with pictures of the a streets and houses. The most information on the web about this case by far.
Yes, I was going to mention questerfiles. I agree that it's by far the most informative site about EAR-ONS. Hours of reading. I think somewhere he claims to know who EAR-ONS is, but of course can't publicly name the person. Whether he is right is another story.

http://www.theunresolvedpodcast.com/2015_10_01_archive.html

At around this time, after the case had gone public, the investigators began to link the investigation to the medical field. At this time, the rate of doctors-per-civilians was rather low, making the medical field not a very common theme. But this early into the investigation, there had been four links to the medical field surrounding our nine victims. One victim's family had a doctor, one had an RB, one of the victims was pregnant, and another lived next door to a doctor.
it's worth noting, at this point, that the suspect had been robbed months beforehand, of what we cannot say. During this attack, the family poodle, a breed of dog already notorious for being poor guarddogs, did almost nothing. It didn't even bark. Many have attributed this to the East Area Rapist scoping out the house beforehand and becoming "known" to the dogs. This wouldn't be the last time this point would be addressed.

Several things continued to repeat themselves. Dogs would refuse to bark at this masked intruder. The perpetrator would often be considered foul-smelling, with several of the victims indicating that he either had strong body odor or incredibly bad breath. Also, his small penis was noted again and again.
One of the things that began to get noticed was the perpetrator's abhorrence of heat. In many of the houses, the East Area Rapist would either turn off the heater or try to dismantle it entirely. Investigators didn't think much of it at the time, but when it's taken into account alongside his frequent breaks to step outside or go to the fridge, it's likely that he had some physical aversion to heat or even maybe an illness that plagued him. Taking us back to the bloodhounds from the first episode, that identified either a drug dealer or a physically sick person, it's beginning to look like our suspect was suffering from something. Of what, we have no idea, but it would help explain his absences throughout his criminal career.

All of the victims even reported that he was in-shape, lean, very young, and most likely shaved his legs, as they would be very brittle during the sexual assaults, similar to a man's face just days after shaving.
But one of the things that drove investigators crazy was the unreliability of the suspect's hair color. Many spotted a victim with dark brown hair, and others would report a man with light brown hair. Many said he was blonde, but a few later cases would even report a young man with odd-looking gray hair. A few of the investigators began to realize that this suspect, who most likely had a constant amount of supplies at his disposal, was probably using an assortment of wigs to confuse possible descriptors.
Many of the local newspapers began to run with the theme that, because the perpetrator wasn't usually interested in his victims sexually, that he was likely a closeted homosexual.

Just a thought as per above quotes, could the EAR be living as a female now?
Was he beginning to transition at the time of the attacks, ie, the shaved legs, possibility of wigs or hair changes, perhaps taking hormones that made him heat sensitive, high voice, ect. ect?

Did he smell bad because of physical activity like running, jumping ect, or did he purposely apply something odorous on himself to placate/fool the dogs and/or as part of the torture he put the victims through?
Speculation, imo.

From dotr's post above from unresolved podcast
(quote)
Several things continued to repeat themselves. Dogs would refuse to bark at this masked intruder. The perpetrator would often be considered foul-smelling, with several of the victims indicating that he either had strong body odor or incredibly bad breath. Also, his small penis was noted again and again.
One of the things that began to get noticed was the perpetrator's abhorrence of heat. In many of the houses, the East Area Rapist would either turn off the heater or try to dismantle it entirely. Investigators didn't think much of it at the time, but when it's taken into account alongside his frequent breaks to step outside or go to the fridge, it's likely that he had some physical aversion to heat or even maybe an illness that plagued him. Taking us back to the bloodhounds from the first episode, that identified either a drug dealer or a physically sick person, it's beginning to look like our suspect was suffering from something. Of what, we have no idea, but it would help explain his absences throughout his criminal career. (unquote)

Many LE thought he dismantled the heat so that no blower could come on and ear/ons could better listen for his victims if they tried to escape. Many times dishes were placed on the male and the female was taken to another room. There also have been times were dogs have barked and ear/ons went right on in the home. Also dogs had been reportedly beaten.

Some victims said he smelled, most didn't. Usually the smell they noticed most was from lotion he used on his penis, usually taken from the bathroom.

How come this case doesn't get much interest like the Zodiac Killer? This guy is fascinating and scary. Probably one of the most smartest Serial killers ever.

How come this case doesn't get much interest like the Zodiac Killer? This guy is fascinating and scary. Probably one of the most smartest Serial killers ever.

I totally agree. He makes the Zodiac look like a bumbling amateur. I first learned about this case watching Cold Case Files years ago. Of all the crime shows I've seen that's the only episode that truly scared me. The Original Night stalker is like something out of a horror movie. You wake up to a flashlight in your eyes only to see a masked naked man with a gun or knife threatening to kill you. The fact that he also unloaded some of the victims guns beforehand then baited them into trying to go for them just shows what a game this was to him.

So do you guys believe EAR is The Visalia Ransacker?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visalia_Ransacker

-Both ransacked.
-Used dishes as alarms.
-Neither took valuables from the homes they broke into.
-Both have high pitched voice.
-Both said to have blonde hair and blue eyes.
-VR disappeared in in 1975, and EAR arrived couple of months later in 1976.

Only thing that is off is the sketch of VR.

visalia-ransacker.jpg

VR looks fat, while EAR was described as slim and athletic.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/story/opinion/2015/03/25/visalia-training-ground/70406130/
Was Visalia the training ground?

M.J. Smith March 25, 2015

Is it possible that Visalia was the training ground, back in the 1970s, for one of California’s most prolific serial-rapist/murderers? In a book that was recently published, “Hunting a Psychopath,” author Richard Shelby states: “There are some who strongly believe he actually began his crime spree in 1974, in Visalia, California, where he was called the Visalia Ransacker.” Shelby, who retired from the Sacramento Sheriff Department, was the original investigator of the East Area Rapist.
The questions remain: Did the suspect start in Visalia? Did he then commute or move to the Northern and Southern California locations? Did the Visalia Ransacker morph into the person known as the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker?

The Visalia Ransacker was described as approximately 5-foot, 9-inches, light-colored skin, short hair, size 9[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] shoe

The East Area Rapist was described as approximately 5-foot, 9-inches, athletic build, late teen to 25, possibly ambidextrous with a tendency towards left hand, size 9-9[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] shoe, light-brown, shoulder-length hair worn in a semi-shag.
rbbm.

So do you guys believe EAR is The Visalia Ransacker?

I do think he was the ransacker. One of his last crimes was when he tried to abduct a young teen to most likely rape when he was stopped by her father (Prof. Snelling) who was then murdered by the ransacker. Ear/Ons had taken a young woman outside to rape. Also the VR had shot directly at a police officer and hit his flashlight while trying to get away, where Ear/Ons had shot a young man in the stomach while he was trying to get away while being chased.

I really wish something could link him past these crimes...where has he gone to? Anything similar anywhere else in the country? Maybe he was stationed there for military and moved somewhere else in the country. What would he escalate to? Just a spooky case with him going Poof and nowhere to be found again.

Any of these theories about where he is possible:

-He died, probably got shot while trying to enter someone's home.

-In Prison for committing some other crime.

-Got bored and just stopped, took a 5 year break, and came back in 1986 to commit one last crime and see if he can re-live the thrill again. It just wasn't exciting anymore so he stopped completely.

-Stopped because he knows he won't keep getting away with these crimes with advancing technology.

-Settled down and have family. Probably living a normal life.

just joined web sleuths specifically for the Golden State Killer/EAR/Original Night Stalker or whatever title we are currently giving him. My father lived in the East Bay when he was offending there, as a child I was visiting my dad and stepmom when he struck. It left a lasting impression on me for the rest of my life, It was the first time I ever saw my dad nervous and very security conscious. He started wedging a chair under the knob of the front door and got out his dusty old rifle that I think was his grandpa's. I also learned what the word rape meant and I was embarrassed by that conversation. I have followed the story my whole life, It made me very security conscious in my own home as an adult. When the crimes in Northern Calif. were linked by DNA to Southern Calif. I thought the case would finally be solved. Imagine my shock years later when sitting in my mystery readers book club in Visalia, other members start talking about the Visalia Ransacker being linked to GSK,EAR. Since I have only lived in Visalia for about 16 years I had never heard of the Ransacker case. The conversation was brought up because 2 volunteers of the city library were talking about a visit from LE, they were going back through all the press archives on the Ransacker. LE from both Northern Calif. and Southern Calif have visited the city to go through the archives. That started me on my quest to find out all I could about the Ransacker. Thanks for listening to my rambling story, look forward to hearing every ones thoughts and theories on this case.

Welcome, Twotays!

Thanks for sharing your personal slant on this story.
Looking forward to your input as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member