CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason he stopped in 1986 (assuming it was one subject) is that he became disabled.

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/earons.wordpress.com/2016/06/11/maggiore-suspects-2278/amp/?espv=1

This shows a news clipping that a new witness had given a better description of one of the two suspects in the Maggiore case. I think the man looks like Brian Maggiore! Who was this witness? Not a neighbour.

Btw Katie Maggiore was stalked and called by a man stating to rape her. Just like two women he raped in a Regal gas station.

Have to sleuth this re gas station. The page refers to Fresco but I don't know if it is re a man stalling her sitting in a car or the gas station rapes.

Currently, a lead investigators are pursuing involve a patient at the now-closed American River Hospital. Detectives say this man visited the hospital on May 30, 1977 shortly before noon seeking treatment for a possible broken shoulder. Staff suspected the man may have been the East Area Rapist and contacted the sheriff's department. The man used an identification card that was stolen two years earlier.

Investigators say the shoulder injury likely happened running from a sexual assault two days earlier, in which he jumped over a fence into a steep canal. The injury also coincided with a 13-week break in the series of rapes.

http://fox40.com/2018/02/02/sheriff...ea-rapist-case/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Too bad they didn't make this public backthen, he might have been caught. They also discuss glasses found at scene of a rape, that could have been a red herring planted by EAR/ONS.

https://www.sacsheriff.com/media/Release.aspx?id=1769
The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department is asking for the public’s help on the 40th anniversary of the murders of Brian and Katie Maggiore, which occurred in Rancho Cordova, February 2, 1978. Just after 9:00 p.m. on that date, Brian, and Katie took their dog for a walk in the neighborhood near their LaVerta Court apartment in Rancho Cordova. While on their walk, they encountered the suspect and came to be in the backyard of a residence in the 10100 block of La Gloria Drive. A violent encounter with the suspect ensued and they fled through a blown down fence into the rear yard of a residence in the 10100 block of La Alegria Drive, the street immediately to the north. There, they were each shot and subsequently died of their wounds at a nearby hospital.

The investigation led investigators to believe the suspect in the case was an offender known as the East Area Rapist, who was active in Sacramento between 1976 and 1978. After this double murder, the East Area Rapist didn’t strike the jurisdiction of the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department again. He continued terrorizing residents in the east and south Bay Area of California, before committing several murders in Southern California. The DNA from evidence located during both series was linked in 2001. Anyone with information about this case is urged to email the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department at earinfo@sacsheriff.com.

Video/press release about the murders of Brian and Katie Maggiore from Sac Sheriff's dept.

https://www.facebook.com/SacSheriff...zZMRhsE101DsEafQKuoamcveYEPYbIzqSh_ysWdcI5PG8
One of the comments by the Sac PD:
These are newly discovered leads and we are asking for help from the public. Investigators have never stopped working this case. The Sacramento Sheriff’s Department is just one part of this massive investigation. We have a collaborative working group which also includes the FBI. Feel free to check out www.fbi.gov for additional information. As stated in the press release, we will be featuring more information in the near future at www.sacsheriff.com.

New article talking about the microscopic blue paint chips found at 3 scenes (one was a homicide).

He described them as microscopic chips of paint that likely came from someone using a paint sprayer. In the late ’70s, he said, paint sprayers typically were used only by professional painters, leading investigators to focus on someone engaged in the building trades.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article199464804.html

New article talking about the microscopic blue paint chips found at 3 scenes (one was a homicide).

He described them as microscopic chips of paint that likely came from someone using a paint sprayer. In the late ’70s, he said, paint sprayers typically were used only by professional painters, leading investigators to focus on someone engaged in the building trades.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article199464804.html

Wasn’t this how they caught the green river killer? If I remember right they traced the paint back to where he worked painting trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have known about these chips for awhile, but most of the records are gone and a construction business owner had died.

Two new articles:
Officials are looking for anyone with knowledge of a person who arrived at American River Hospital at 11:47 a.m. on May 30, 1977. The hospital is now closed. No description was given of the patient, but the emergency room staff member who completed the form had the initials “BK,” Hampton said.

“It is conjectured that if the individual who sought treatment was the East Area Rapist, he may have suffered an injury related to his escape from the sexual assault of a couple on May 28, 1977,” Hampton said. “The rapist jumped a fence into a very steep canal where avoiding injury would be difficult in the dark. This sexual assault also preceded an over 13-week break in the rape series and an 18-week break in attacks in Sacramento.”

Detectives are also looking for anyone with knowledge of a particular patient at the now-closed Bay Area Union Professional Center, located in Carmichael, CA. Detectives visited the optical center to identify a subject from a pair of prescription lenses dropped at the scene of a burglary in 1973.

http://www.ksby.com/story/37489267/...s-old-cold-case-involving-four-goleta-murders

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/co...w_leads_serial_killer_suspect_goleta_slayings

Currently, a lead investigators are pursuing involve a patient at the now-closed American River Hospital. Detectives say this man visited the hospital on May 30, 1977 shortly before noon seeking treatment for a possible broken shoulder. Staff suspected the man may have been the East Area Rapist and contacted the sheriff's department. The man used an identification card that was stolen two years earlier.

Investigators say the shoulder injury likely happened running from a sexual assault two days earlier, in which he jumped over a fence into a steep canal. The injury also coincided with a 13-week break in the series of rapes.

http://fox40.com/2018/02/02/sheriff...ea-rapist-case/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Too bad they didn't make this public backthen, he might have been caught. They also discuss glasses found at scene of a rape, that could have been a red herring planted by EAR/ONS.

That shoulder injury was a solid lead. I don't know how or why they decide to withhold certain evidence from the public. They've withheld a few things that could have rung some bells back then. 40 years later, it's going to be tough, but I'm glad to see this case being publicized recently.

Michelle MacNamara's book comes out in two weeks as well as a 2-part show on ID Discovery March 5th. Would love to see this creep exposed.

That shoulder injury was a solid lead. I don't know how or why they decide to withhold certain evidence from the public. They've withheld a few things that could have rung some bells back then. 40 years later, it's going to be tough, but I'm glad to see this case being publicized recently.

Michelle MacNamara's book comes out in two weeks as well as a 2-part show on ID Discovery March 5th. Would love to see this creep exposed.

Right, holdng back only hurt this case. Also when the guy ran out and the hospital called LE, they should have checked for finger prints on anything the guy touched. I doubt he showed up to the hospital wearing gloves.

Also another new show: HLN Renews Search for Golden State Killer in “Unmasking A Killer” Premiering March 18

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2...er-in-unmasking-a-killer-premiering-march-18/

I am so looking forward to Michelle's book coming out later this month. When he is finally unmasked, however, I will be sad knowing that she won't be here to see it. She was obsessed with this case and put in a lot of tedious hours writing her book. Thankfully, it's finally getting the media coverage that it should have had all along. People - especially those directly affected by his crimes - need to know who this monster is/was, and he needs to be brought to justice if he is still alive.

Regarding the fine China plates/silverware he stole + the plates that he put on the mens' backs when he was tying them up got me thinking. What if EAR worked as a waiter in a restaurant? That could explain his interest in dinnerware. If he worked a late shift, that would give him time to commit his crimes after he got off work. Then, during the daytime, he would still have time to scope out new areas and victims. It's just a thought and I may be way off base but just wanted to throw it in the mix. I can't wait until this monster is caught!!!

A NYTimes article about Michelle McNamara's book to be released at the end of this month. I was really looking forward to this book when Michelle was alive. I have ordered a copy from Amazon but I feel more sad about the book now. I hope it somehow helps catch this guy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/books/michelle-mcnamara-patton-oswalt-book-serial-killer.html

Thanks Colette. I am just starting to get into/read about this case. Something about this screams, 'highly trained armed forces/hitman/intelligence agent'. I mean, it's not for sure, but to get away with this number of rapes in East Area takes a hell of a lot of planning and skill. Even a highly trained hitman like Philip Arthur Thompson, with reputed ties to the CIA, was eventually caught and now sits in prison. This man moved around like a ghost, with a face that apparently changed from crime to crime. Maybe he even had friends in high places somewhere, it almost seems like he was sure he would be protected if it ever came down to it.

The other thing that strikes me is that the bludgeoning murders only started down in Southern California. No murders except maybe for the Maggiores, which were shooting deaths, in his original hunting grounds. Is it just a coincidence that he didn't start his killing spree on his original turf? Not sure what to make of it.

I am tempted to think maybe EAR/ONS was trying to convince himself that he was just a burglar, at times, and really was experiencing fear and remorse at his compulsion to rape... BUT. This is what does my head in....

A rapist who pretends that burglary is important to him and then cries for Mommy/expresses a fear of Mommy/blames Mommy during the crimes, acts remorseful, listens to victim requests, etc is at -serious- odds with a man who stalks a house, breaks in and leaves bindings handy for the 'real' crime (of rape/murder), manipulates cops and victim perception, researches his crimes and comes fully prepared, etc.. He's incredibly methodical.

But somehow, I -do- think the burglary line was an important part of his "script", rather than just a weak attempt to fool the cops. He was smart, and he knew the cops hunting him were smart. He -wanted- them to know it was the same guy, and he was smart enough to mix things up in his MO more then he did. But he didn't.

It's like there's two perps. One pathetic and self-doubting, and one who is very far from it. But there wasn't two, there was just this one guy exhibiting this conflicting behaviour. It just does my head in. More to think about..

BBM

I find your post very interesting. The fact that EAR exhibited two very opposite personalities, along with the fact that one victim claims she heard two voices talking with one another in another room, makes me wonder if he suffered from Split Personality Disorder. Does anyone else think this is a possibility at all? Any thoughts?

BBM

I find your post very interesting. The fact that EAR exhibited two very opposite personalities, along with the fact that one victim claims she heard two voices talking with one another in another room, makes me wonder if he suffered from Split Personality Disorder. Does anyone else think this is a possibility at all? Any thoughts?

It is possible, but thinking this guy is a wannabe actor. Maybe theater schools/ classes in the area should be checked out for former students. imo speculation.
https://www.sane.org/the-sane-blog/mythbusters/busting-the-myths-about-dissociative-identity-disorder
[h=2]What is dissociative identity disorder?[/h] DID is a complex mental illness. Its defining feature is the presence of at least two alternate personalities (alters) who routinely take control of the person’s behaviour. A person with DID also experiences noticeable, recurring gaps in their memory.

DID is associated with overwhelming experiences, traumatic events and/or abuse during childhood.
DID was formerly known as split personality or multiple personality disorder, but the correct name is dissociative identity disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay