GUILTY CA - Eliza Delacruz, 3 wks, Long Beach, 4 Jan 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But..There are so many other babies, so why Eliza? Something is fishy here. Of course, we don't know what LE knows. I hate to say this, COD will come out, if she was suffocated or whatever. I HATE these cases and trying to second guess. I HATE these cases, period!

Idk, any number of reasons...maybe they were followed home, friend of a friend, drug debt repayment. Too many unknowns, I too hate cases like this. We may never know why.

Seems that a perp using public transportation should have been easy to find. I believe all buses have cameras.

Doesn't sound like they have any identifying information to look thru the cameras for, it's hard to find someone when u don't know what they look like. I would think the baby would be hidden in some manner. We all have our theories, good, bad or otherwise.

I dunno. LE says it appears to be targeted. LE says it was not random. LE is pleading to the public for their help to solve this, like they got nuttin. So how do they know the family was targeted and it was not random??? Was the intent always to take the baby??? Or was it to make someone pay for some wrong??? Everyone says the family was not involved in drugs or the cartel or anything like that, that they were a peaceful family. Yet something was a reason they were targeted and it wasn't random.

And yes, at 6 pm last Saturday it was already dark in answer to the question above.

I'd be curious to find out COD on the baby because now on the news they are being vague, like the baby may have been thrown in the trash alive or something. Maybe they just don't want to commit to any speculation as to how the baby died.

EvilPixie Just catching up. I don't have any experience, but I believe you 100% about the coyote trade. I know that what we in SoCal hear in the media is enough to make me scared, let alone what PDs and other agencies see/hear. That's why it jumped out at me almost straightaway.

Cartels/certain gangs/coyotes have terrible reputations for a reason.

As an aside, The 2012 Robert Crais novel "Taken" deals with this scenario (without the minor child) and he is pretty well known for his research and police co-operation when writing. What he depicts in that book is horrific, but he, himself, has said he only scratched the surface. See also the movie "End of Watch" or the TV series "The Shield".

I know you already know all this, but it is a world away from my experience, and learning that these things are happening every day made me look at certain things differently, if you know what I mean. That's why the intense fear, the lack of info from family/friends, the neighbor's insistence that the family are not involved with the cartels, etc - right from the get-go, how would he know? - made me think what I originally wrote.

It has been said repeatedly on TV slots today that the family IS NOT in the house, the father returned for a very short time and is at an undisclosed location. Every newscaster on every channel. PD must have a reason for asking them to stress that.

Also, even if this family/the father is here legally, that doesn't mean there aren't a whole other group of people who aren't, or who are sitting terrified in their home country, being threatened.

So the PD is asking for tips... wouldn't someone unrelated to the crime who reportedly "saw something" be putting him/herself in jeopardy? The PD would keep that info confidential, but who is to say the perp wouldn't think the victims gave up the info and go after the victims again for retribution? It dies not make sense, unless that is SOP in all cases.

I am sure LE is presenting the case such that the perp is following the news.

BTW, the father is a vet tech, not a veterinarian, per his neighbor and friend.

A little bit of an update here. Also I heard on live TV that the autopsy was completed today and the results are sealed. Off to find a link for that!

The baby's parents and uncle have spoken with police but have not provided sufficient information — a fact Luna called "frustrating," although he said it was too early to know if the family was withholding clues...

Detectives do not believe the crime was a random act, and the FBI is assisting in the investigation, Luna said...

Luna said nothing is being ruled out at this point, including that the gunman has fled to Mexico, or that family members or a drug cartel are involved.

More here plus video: http://www.cbs8.com/story/27757738/police-seek-clues-after-baby-taken-by-gunman-found-dead

ETA: Adding link to autopsy results being sealed per LE.

There were no signs of visible trauma, officials said. An autopsy was conducted Monday, but the medical examiner's office sealed the results at the request of law enforcement.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-Imperial-Beach-Baby-Dumpster--287511201.html

:(
Rest in peace little one. I pray justice will be served.

Video at this link.

A male family friend who was interviewed said no gang retaliation or drug cartel, just hatred. LE has spoken to the three adult victims and LE are looking for the suspect who is dark skinned who may be either Hispanic or African American. I have to wonder if the suspect was wearing a mask being as IMO those two races are pretty distinguishable. Just a thought, wearing a disguise or mask because the suspect knew the victims would be able to ID him? MOO.

LONG BEACH POLICE SEEK CLUES IN SHOOTING AND KIDNAPPING, MURDER OF BABY

The search continues for the suspect who kidnapped a 3-week-old infant after shooting her parents and uncle at a Long Beach home. The infant, identified as Eliza Delacruz, was found dead in a dumpster in San Diego County Sunday.

http://abc7.com/news/long-beach-police-seek-clues-in-shooting-and-kidnapping-murder-of-baby/462907/

A little bit of an update here. Also I heard on live TV that the autopsy was completed today and the results are sealed. Off to find a link for that!

More here plus video: http://www.cbs8.com/story/27757738/police-seek-clues-after-baby-taken-by-gunman-found-dead

ETA: Adding link to autopsy results being sealed per LE.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-Imperial-Beach-Baby-Dumpster--287511201.html

Just watched the video link you provided SD after I posted my above post. So now my post is probably wrong suggesting the suspect was wearing a mask/disguise. At the end of the video the reporters says LE will be working with an artist on a composite sketch of the suspect. How is that possible if the victims don't even know if the suspect is Hispanic or African American? And LE are saying this was not a random act. Something sounds really off about this case.

LE are going to be offering a reward tomorrow for information leading to the arrest of the suspect. Sad that a homeless man found Eliza while scrounging in the dumpster. Too bad the reward wasn't offered for anyone finding baby Eliza. I'm sure this homeless man would have been grateful for the reward. I'm sure he's been traumatized also by his find. Sorry I don't mean to sound insensitive, just a thought. MOO.

I think somebody isn't being completely honest about their extracurricular activities and the people they associate with. This crime was done as a payback for something.........what that something is, has yet to be determined.

The only other possible scenario would be mistaken identity. They hit the wrong house and the wrong people.
There ARE a bunch of stupid, drugged up criminals running around out there.

Jilted lover? Actual father of baby? Did he send someone to do the deed?
Just hope LE find the , lock him up and throw away the key. MOO. :furious:

I agree.
Just because you are homeless doesn't mean you are cold hearted or any less traumatized by finding a baby in a dumpster.
Hopefully they will be provided at least counseling. A reward would be great for them, though.

Just watched the video link you provided SD after I posted my above post. So now my post is probably wrong suggesting the suspect was wearing a mask/disguise. At the end of the video the reporters says LE will be working with an artist on a composite sketch of the suspect. How is that possible if the victims don't even know if the suspect is Hispanic or African American? And LE are saying this was not a random act. Something sounds really off about this case.

LE are going to be offering a reward tomorrow for information leading to the arrest of the suspect. Sad that a homeless man found Eliza while scrounging in the dumpster. Too bad the reward wasn't offered for anyone finding baby Eliza. I'm sure this homeless man would have been grateful for the reward. I'm sure he's been traumatized also by his find. Sorry I don't mean to sound insensitive, just a thought. MOO.

It's not always obvious what race/ethnicity somebody is. Especially if the person is of mixed race.
Doesn't sound like the family recognized the suspect. Which is kind of surprising if this was not a random act. So, this is a very confusing case.

But..There are so many other babies, so why Eliza? Something is fishy here. Of course, we don't know what LE knows. I hate to say this, COD will come out, if she was suffocated or whatever. I HATE these cases and trying to second guess. I HATE these cases, period!
BBM I think the perp must know the family although the family may not know the perp very well. Here's one way the perp may have been acquainted with the family:

Cruz, who described himself as the man's best friend, said the family often hosted large barbecues on their front lawn after moving in a few years ago.

<snipped>

Cruz recalled a large baby shower with dancing that the family threw in November.
<snipped>

http://www.cbs8.com/story/27757738/police-seek-clues-after-baby-taken-by-gunman-found-dead

I agree with others that the purpose of the kidnapping was likely to sell Eliza on the black market, and Eliza's death unintended (which makes no difference; it's still murder). The family members, IMO, were shot fending off the intruder/kidnapper. The father probably managed to sustain only a gunshot to the leg as he tried to prevent the kidnapper from leaving with Eliza. All family members who were home may not have been in the same part of the house, and events would have unfolded so rapidly, that the adults were likely not shot all at once. The father had just arrived home from work (from same article):

"He had just gotten off work, and this happened to him. It was a normal day for him," he said. "This was out of nowhere."

The perp(s) had to know somehow that this family had a newborn baby. The baby shower is a likely connection. Then, the perp(s) had to learn the family's routine. Did the father arrive home earlier than usual? Was the kidnapper taken by surprise by the uncle's presence? Was that uncle normally home at that time or had he recently moved in?

IDK, but I'm thinking it won't be the general public who will help find Eliza's killer. I think the answers lie within the family's network of friends. IMO, someone who attended those barbecues and the baby shower had been asking a lot of questions about the family and were especially curious about the baby's birth.

I understand how you feel, southsleuth. I hate these cases, too. I hope there will be an arrest in this case .... soon.

:(
Rest in peace little one. I pray justice will be served.

Video at this link.

A male family friend who was interviewed said no gang retaliation or drug cartel, just hatred. LE has spoken to the three adult victims and LE are looking for the suspect who is dark skinned who may be either Hispanic or African American. I have to wonder if the suspect was wearing a mask being as IMO those two races are pretty distinguishable. Just a thought, wearing a disguise or mask because the suspect knew the victims would be able to ID him? MOO.

LONG BEACH POLICE SEEK CLUES IN SHOOTING AND KIDNAPPING, MURDER OF BABY

The search continues for the suspect who kidnapped a 3-week-old infant after shooting her parents and uncle at a Long Beach home. The infant, identified as Eliza Delacruz, was found dead in a dumpster in San Diego County Sunday.

http://abc7.com/news/long-beach-police-seek-clues-in-shooting-and-kidnapping-murder-of-baby/462907/

Depending on circumstances, race can be hard to determine. If onky a small portion of skin is seen, if a person is mixed race, and the lighting. It's just about fully dark at 6 pm in So Cal lately, and many places have weird orange tinted street lights here. I recall suspecting the orange lights contributing to our difficulty identifying the race of the man who murdered the Belvedere boys and Ilona Flint. Hispanic and black were reported....turns out he's Asian.

Of course I've no idea what happened in this case, or why...but no explanation given would ever be right or good enough considering a tiny baby died!!!! Whether the death was intentional or not, I don't care. Little Eliza should have NEVER been taken from her parents!! The only time I would agree with that if it is known a child is being abused, or neglected and authorities have been notified and aren't doing anything to help. Then, yes I could see removing the child, but still the shooting of the others wouldn't make sense!!! Little Eliza did NOTHING wrong to anyone!! She was just an innocent, tiny baby, just taking in the world around her for 3 short weeks. It'll never make sense to us. Just a baby. I pray whoever did this is caught, and burned at a stake! Forget the jail/prison route. Let them have a trial, and be done with whoever. I can't stand this!!

Sweet little baby, so pretty, so adorable. Who did this?

Police in California seek man who wounded 3, left baby dead
http://news.yahoo.com/infant-abducted-california-home-found-dead-090856153.html

"...who lives next door to the victims' two-story stucco house, said the baby's father is a veterinary technician who works six days a week and was thrilled to be a dad.

Cruz, who described himself as the man's best friend, said the family often hosted large barbecues on their front lawn after moving in a few years ago.

The baby's parents and uncle lived there with another uncle and the baby's grandparents, but no one else was there when the shooting happened, Cruz said.

"He had just gotten off work, and this happened to him. It was a normal day for him," he said. "This was out of nowhere."

Cruz recalled a large baby shower..."

Does anyone know why the results of the autopsy would be requested to be sealed by LE? I have never heard of this before....especially when the police seem to be imploring the public to help find this man.

If the father was a veterinarian, as someone mentioned in another post, it could be jealously that the family are more financially stable than most, it could be a surrogacy gone wrong (mother changed her mind), it could have been an accident between family members and Eliza was caught in the crossfire - it is hard to know WHAT to think when two of the people involved can't talk and the other won't.

I still can't help but think something is off here and that someone within the three adults is involved. Eliza wasn't even missing 24 hours, although it isn't a super tight timeline there certainly wasn't a lot of thinking time (she went missing at 6pm Saturday and was found six hours away at 1.30pm). IF the gunmen took the baby to 'warn' the family, why dump her so far away? Every minute he had Eliza with him, whether she was still alive or not, was a huge risk for him. He shot 3 people and stole a baby, you don't have to be Einstein to know LE would be all over it.

I would be interested in knowing when Eliza was seen by someone outside of the family. I just can't shake that nagging doubt in my belly.:(

Perhaps the autopsy results have been sealed at this time due to the fact the baby was a minor - privacy issues and/or the results of the autopsy if released might prejudice a ''fair trial'' if released in advance? MOO

Does anyone know why the results of the autopsy would be requested to be sealed by LE? I have never heard of this before....especially when the police seem to be imploring the public to help find this man.

If the father was a veterinarian, as someone mentioned in another post, it could be jealously that the family are more financially stable than most, it could be a surrogacy gone wrong (mother changed her mind), it could have been an accident between family members and Eliza was caught in the crossfire - it is hard to know WHAT to think when two of the people involved can't talk and the other won't.

I still can't help but think something is off here and that someone within the three adults is involved. Eliza wasn't even missing 24 hours, although it isn't a super tight timeline there certainly wasn't a lot of thinking time (she went missing at 6pm Saturday and was found six hours away at 1.30pm). IF the gunmen took the baby to 'warn' the family, why dump her so far away? Every minute he had Eliza with him, whether she was still alive or not, was a huge risk for him. He shot 3 people and stole a baby, you don't have to be Einstein to know LE would be all over it.

I would be interested in knowing when Eliza was seen by someone outside of the family. I just can't shake that nagging doubt in my belly.:(
Imperial beach seems like a weird destination from long beach...I wonder if there is further threat to family members...this is definitely being handled differently than "usual" not that anything about it is usual ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back