CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems so bizarre to me. Seriously, who's going to believe her when she's so entitled? This was her "baby" and her hands were all over every mess she made, too. It will be really interesting what of her self-entitled details can make their way into the trial.
Does anyone know if Bulwani can get called as a witness?

That would be interesting. His attorneys will balk at that.

This seems so bizarre to me. Seriously, who's going to believe her when she's so entitled? This was her "baby" and her hands were all over every mess she made, too. It will be really interesting what of her self-entitled details can make their way into the trial.
Wow, this seems par for the course for her! I cannot wait for the trial.

Seattle1 from article said:
snipped...
The trial officially begins Sept. 7, with opening arguments expected the following day.

If the trial starts on 9/7 - wouldn't the opening statements be on the first day? What are they going to do for the first day - if not opening??

Something I've wondered all along- and has not really been addressed is her academic record. I am REALLY hoping her college transcripts are entered into the record. From what I can find- she attended Stanford for only 3 full semesters and part of a fourth. So she left college mid-sophomore year.

"The trial, delayed earlier this year by Holmes’s pregnancy, is scheduled to begin on Tuesday and last several months."

Wow, several months! Now I'm glad there is no livestream and even hope there is no live-tweeting, contrary to my earlier comments -- I would get nothing done for months! I'll stick to daily recaps and maybe the weekly podcasts, thanks. :p

The end of this article by a reporter who helped break and sustain the case has a response to these claims:

Given the defense that we’re kind of anticipating , what is your take on her relationship with Balwani?

He definitely was a bad influence - but the notion that he controlled her, to me, is laughable. They were in this together in a partnership of equals. If anything, when they disagreed, she had the final say.

I know this not only from the six years of reporting I have done on this, and all the people I have interviewed who saw them operate together up close, but I have perused five years of text messages between them that were exhibits in the SEC case [against Theranos].

You also have to remember the fact that she had 99.7% of the voting rights of this company. She was in full control. Was she living with him and were they consulting each other all the time? Yes. But I do not buy this notion that he was the puppeteer and she was the puppet.

‘People wanted to believe’: reporter who exposed Theranos on Elizabeth Holmes’ trial

According to multiple articles, jury selection starts tomorrow, Monday 8/30.

So 5 days of jury selection, the trial "starts" on Tuesday 9/7 but opening statements not until Weds 9/8 -- I too wonder what happens on 9/7. Maybe initial jury instructions?
I think maybe laying out the timeline for the lengthy trial- making sure they account for other cases the lawyers (both sides) might be concurrently involved in that requires a day off. Accommodating jury needs perhaps? Things of that nature.

Something I've wondered all along- and has not really been addressed is her academic record. I am REALLY hoping her college transcripts are entered into the record. From what I can find- she attended Stanford for only 3 full semesters and part of a fourth. So she left college mid-sophomore year.
IIRC she doesn't know anything about science (did she even take a science lab class, let alone basic chemistry?) and she seems to have finagled entrance to Stanford via a Chinese language course she took during summers.
The way EH talks about the chemistry of her product is laughable.
In one of the documentaries, there's a woman professor (Phyllis Gardner) who would be the health startup person EH would want to suck up to and get the green light from. She talks about EH, who was a student. She is very blunt. She had NOTHING positive to say about EH. There's some VERY salty language.

Here's an article: Meet the fearless female professor who helped bring down Elizabeth Holmes

Here is a quote from Phyllis Gardner in that article: “To this day, I can’t explain it,” she added. “Except to say that she’s a sociopathic liar, and a narcissist. I don’t think she’s brilliant. She’s just a good liar.”

In general, I notice a startling gender divide in those who believed EH and those who saw "emperor's new clothes": men tend to have fallen for the schtick (consider her lawyers, investors, board), and women see through it and are repelled. The most significant men who saw fraud and said something were the Schulz grandson and Carreyrou. Oh, and Jimmy Ma with a famous eyeroll.
This jury might be very interesting from a gender point of view.
One of my favorites from Phyllis Gardner: “Those men’s brains went south in their anatomy,” Gardner mused to The Sunday Times.

I hope Gardner testifies. This could be awesome fun.

Last edited:
EH's grasp of chemistry, told to The New Yorker, quoted from Vanity Fair, referenced by CNBC;

"She told The New Yorker that 'a chemistry is performed so that a chemical reaction occurs and generates a signal from the chemical interaction with the sample, which is translated into a result, which is then reviewed by certified laboratory personnel.'"

LMAO

Exclusive: How Elizabeth Holmes’s House of Cards Came Tumbling Down

If the trial starts on 9/7 - wouldn't the opening statements be on the first day? What are they going to do for the first day - if not opening??

The date the jury is sworn in and/or impaneled is typically the first day of trial. I believe this will happen on 9/7, and opening arguments the following day. From the same link:

Jury selection in the trial is set to start Aug. 31, with opening arguments on Sept. 8 in a federal court in San Jose, California. The courtroom drama has been over three years in the making, with Holmes originally charged in June 2018.

IIRC she doesn't know anything about science (did she even take a science lab class, let alone basic chemistry?) and she seems to have finagled entrance to Stanford via a Chinese language course she took during summers.
The way EH talks about the chemistry of her product is laughable.
In one of the documentaries, there's a woman professor (Phyllis Gardner) who would be the health startup person EH would want to suck up to and get the green light from. She talks about EH, who was a student. She is very blunt. She had NOTHING positive to say about EH. There's some VERY salty language.

Here's an article: Meet the fearless female professor who helped bring down Elizabeth Holmes

Here is a quote from Phyllis Gardner in that article: “To this day, I can’t explain it,” she added. “Except to say that she’s a sociopathic liar, and a narcissist. I don’t think she’s brilliant. She’s just a good liar.”

In general, I notice a startling gender divide in those who believed EH and those who saw "emperor's new clothes": men tend to have fallen for the schtick (consider her lawyers, investors, board), and women see through it and are repelled. The most significant men who saw fraud and said something were the Schulz grandson and Carreyrou. Oh, and Jimmy Ma with a famous eyeroll.
This jury might be very interesting from a gender point of view.
One of my favorites from Phyllis Gardner: “Those men’s brains went south in their anatomy,” Gardner mused to The Sunday Times.

I hope Gardner testifies. This could be awesome fun.
Supposedly she took a couple of Chemical Engineering courses while she was there. That alone does not qualify one to be a medical expert. Did she really not know the process of blood testing that her company was supposed to be doing or was she just a good con artist? I see similar qualities in her as some other famous narcissistic sociopaths. She didn't care that the false medical results could actual harm patients by giving them false positives or negatives so that they could get medication they didn't need or not treat conditions like Cancer. I think that her ego will make her testify. She thinks she's so charming.

EH's grasp of chemistry, told to The New Yorker, quoted from Vanity Fair, referenced by CNBC;

"She told The New Yorker that 'a chemistry is performed so that a chemical reaction occurs and generates a signal from the chemical interaction with the sample, which is translated into a result, which is then reviewed by certified laboratory personnel.'"

LMAO

Exclusive: How Elizabeth Holmes’s House of Cards Came Tumbling Down
Huh??? And I've had some basic chemistry. What the heck does that even mean?

Gardner reminds me of a professor I had in Grad School. I have nothing but admiration for this woman for her part in bringing down Holmes, even if it was because she got left out. She did the right thing.
Except she wasn't responsible for bringing EH down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3