Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecution gets Elizabeth Holmes to admit she was in control of Theranos
Holmes confronted with uncomfortable evidence as prosecution dissects defense.

Tim De Chant - 12/1/2021, 10:33 AM
At this point in her criminal trial, Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes' best chance for acquittal is for the jury to believe that she was a puppet being controlled by her boyfriend, company president Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani. Yesterday, the prosecution attempted to pick apart that defense.
In Holmes' first several days on the stand, jurors heard about Balwani’s abusive behavior. He forced Holmes to have sex with him, prescribed her meals and schedule, and told her that she needed to “kill” herself to be reborn as an entrepreneur, Holmes testified. Balwani has denied the claims of abuse. When recounting various episodes, Holmes broke into tears several times. Based on her testimony and her contemporaneous notes submitted as evidence, it certainly sounds like it was a toxic relationship.

The question for the jury, though, is whether that influenced Holmes’ actions. Was she in control of Theranos? Did her relationship with Balwani make her oblivious to a fraudulent scheme? To be convicted of wire fraud, which Holmes has been charged with, a person’s participation must be both willful and knowing. Yesterday, the prosecution set out to make it clear that Holmes was both in control and aware that what she was doing was wrong.

more at link: Prosecution gets Elizabeth Holmes to admit she was in control of Theranos

Elizabeth Holmes relies on her tight entourage of friends as fraud trial nears its end
Published Thu, Dec 2 20211:08 PM ESTUpdated 2 Hours Ago
Yasmin Khorram@YasminKhorram

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/02/eli...e-of-friends-as-theranos-trial-nears-end.html
Thanks for sourcing the info about the sorority sisters showing up at the trial.

To tell you the truth, I was kinda surprised Stanford has sororities, but it seems they do!
IMO if the jury finds out those are EH's sorority sisters—especially if one or more of them assumes EH's defense put them up to it—it could royally backfire for a whole bunch of reasons. IME many people don't approve of sororities at all. Some people especially disapprove of certain ones. You could get someone on the jury who went to a rival sorority (even from another campus) or had a bad experience with that order (or whatever the organization that owns a chapter is called).
Plus, jurors (either sisters or not, for their own reasons) might be quite jaundiced that someone who only spent a year at a university would have depth-y social contacts from members, especially this far forward (almost 20 years): IMO usually it would take a significant amount of time to develop those connections enough to have sisters show up at a trial.
Did EH have an active female social network while leading Theranos? It's striking IMO she doesn't seem to have had any professional connections with women (her board, customers, financiers, mentors, models, interviewers all seem to be male). IMO the tactic could inadvertently highlight gender aspects of the case that might reflect negatively on EH rather than positively.
Then there are the social do-good functions sororities get involved in. I haven't heard any evidence that EH has made contributions in that regard.
The engineered presence of the sorority team could also focus attention on the "appearance is everything" theme in this case (e.g. making it look like Edisons were being used, when actually adapted Siemens were, fraudulent use of one company's logos to push product at another company, as well as the financials, etc.)
At any rate, this sorority thing is a tactic that has zero predictable result. Very fraught. IMO
If I got a whiff that there were alums of a Stanford chemical engineering honor society in the gallery, that would be more compelling to me were I a juror, since this case is about fraud in the chemical engineering arena and is about facts, not socializing.

Last edited:
She was 18. That's a bit young for a 38 year old man, methinks.

Prince Andrew's problem with Virginia G. is that she was 17 when they met.
But they don't seem to have had a romantic relationship until a few years later. He wasn't in the picture during the first years of Theranos.

Balwani's court date on 12/16 was moved...

Thursday, Jan 6 2022
09:00AM
5:18-cr-00258-EJD-2 - USA v. Ramesh Sunny Balwani
Defendant's Motions in Limine (IN-COURT)
Pretrial Conference
USA Motions in Limine (IN-COURT)

Tuesday, Jan 11 2022
AUSA: Jeffrey Schenk / DEF: Jeffrey Coopersmith
Jury Selection

Wednesday, Jan 12 2022
AUSA: Jeffrey Schenk / DEF: Jeffrey Coopersmith
Jury Selection

link: CALENDAR

Friday, December 3rd:
*Charging Conference Hearing (Jury Instructions) (@ 9am PT) - CA – for *Elizabeth A. Holmes (34/now 37) (CEO of Theranos) charged (March, 2018) & indicted (6/14/18) & arraigned (6/15/18) with 9 counts of wire fraud & 2 counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and charged & indicted (4/11/20) with fraud relating to a patient's blood test. Another count of wire fraud was added in 2020, bringing the total number of felony charges to 12. Plead not guilty. No bond. Faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison & up to $2.75 million in fines, plus restitution, & $250K for each individual count of wire fraud & conspiracy.
Defrauding investors out of $700 million in funding for their blood-testing startup Theranos.
Trial began on 8/31/21 with jury selection. 12 jurors of 7 men & 5 women (6 Caucasians, 4 Hispanics & 2 Asians) with five alternates (3 men & 2 women). Juror #7 excused & replaced with alternate #1. Now jurors are 8 men & 4 women. Alternates 2 men & 2 women. 10/6/21: Juror #4 excused & replace with alternate #2. Now jurors are 8 men & 4 women. Alternates 2 men & 1 woman. 10/22/21: The judge excused Juror #5, moving up the third alternate to replace the juror. Both are women. No word on why the juror was excused. Now jurors are 8 men & 4 women. Alternates 2 men.
Trial began on 9/8/21.
The Court trial days will be Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday, possibly other half days. The Court may modify the trial time & set either 8:30am-2pm or 9am-2pm & possibly 30-minute breaks in between. Judge Edward J. Davila presiding. Jury selection was on 8/31 & 9/1 completed. Judge Davila said the juror whose mother-in-law died suddenly last week wants to travel for a few days next week for the memorial service, so trial won't be in session next Friday, Oct. 29. 10/20/21: Judge Davila notes that a juror can't be in court Friday, 11/12 & 12/3 & the judge has a conflict in November at some point due to a meeting in the Ninth Circuit committee. Motions hearing on 11/2/21, 11/16/21 & 11/17/21. Trial dates: 12/7, 12/8, 12/9, 12/10, 12/13, 12/16, 12/17 so far & no court from 12/21/21 thru 1/6/22. Charging conference on 12/3/21.

Indictment & court info from 4/11/20 thru 8/26/21 & on 9/30/21 & on 11/2/21 & jury selection (Day 1-3) 8/31/21 to 9/2/21 & trial (Day 1-34) 9/8/21 to 11/22/21 & motions hearing on 11/8/21 & 11/19/21 reference post #936 here:
CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

11/30/21 Tuesday, Trial Day 35: Judge Ed Davila is on the bench to discuss whether to admit some of Balwani's SEC deposition. Prosecutor Kelly Voklar says the depo is 1,300 pages long & she hasn't gotten through it yet to make objections on cumulative or moot grounds.
for more info see post #940 here:
Discussion continued.
for more info see posts #941 & 942 here:
Defense witness: Elizabeth Holmes. Robert Leach is on cross-examination.
for more info see posts #943 thru 952 & 956, 957 & 960 here:
Elizabeth Holmes continued on cross-exam.
for more info see posts #961 & 962 here:
Trial is breaking for the week until next Tuesday, 12/7/21 & the judge admonishes the jury not to discuss the trial during the long break. He adds "please be careful in regards to your personal safety" in light of the new Covid variant.
After jury left. Robert Leach says the government plans to wrap Holmes' cross Tuesday & Holmes' counsel Kevin Downey says he thinks that the defense's case "would not last the balance of next week."
for more info see posts #969 here:
Added to court site: Charging conference-Jury instructions hearing on 12/3/21 @ 9am. Trial continues on Monday, 12/7/21.

*Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani (53/now 56) (CFO & President of Theranos) – Motion in Limine hearing on 1/6/21 & trial set to begin on 1/11/22 & 1/12/22 with jury selection & trial starts on 1/18/22.

Prosecution gets Elizabeth Holmes to admit she was in control of Theranos
Holmes confronted with uncomfortable evidence as prosecution dissects defense.

Tim De Chant - 12/1/2021, 10:33 AM
At this point in her criminal trial, Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes' best chance for acquittal is for the jury to believe that she was a puppet being controlled by her boyfriend, company president Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani. Yesterday, the prosecution attempted to pick apart that defense.
In Holmes' first several days on the stand, jurors heard about Balwani’s abusive behavior. He forced Holmes to have sex with him, prescribed her meals and schedule, and told her that she needed to “kill” herself to be reborn as an entrepreneur, Holmes testified. Balwani has denied the claims of abuse. When recounting various episodes, Holmes broke into tears several times. Based on her testimony and her contemporaneous notes submitted as evidence, it certainly sounds like it was a toxic relationship.

The question for the jury, though, is whether that influenced Holmes’ actions. Was she in control of Theranos? Did her relationship with Balwani make her oblivious to a fraudulent scheme? To be convicted of wire fraud, which Holmes has been charged with, a person’s participation must be both willful and knowing. Yesterday, the prosecution set out to make it clear that Holmes was both in control and aware that what she was doing was wrong.

more at link: Prosecution gets Elizabeth Holmes to admit she was in control of Theranos
BBM. Did anyone catch this gem from this article??? She first tried to discredit Carryrou by character assasination before trying to get Murdoch to kill the story. This really gets me: The prosecution also dove into Holmes and Balwani’s attempts to kill an investigation of their company by Wall Street Journal reporter John Carreyrou. They hired opposition research firm Fusion GPS to make a “killer package” about Carreyrou to “turn this into our story,” Holmes texted Balwani. When that didn’t work, she sent Rupert Murdoch, whose company owns The Wall Street Journal, an email about Carreyrou’s reporting. “I thought that were I in your shoes I would want to be in the loop,” she wrote.

Elizabeth Holmes relies on her tight entourage of friends as fraud trial nears its end
Published Thu, Dec 2 20211:08 PM ESTUpdated 2 Hours Ago
Yasmin Khorram@YasminKhorram

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/02/eli...e-of-friends-as-theranos-trial-nears-end.html
Being that she dropped out of Stanford in her freshman year, I question how "tight" these friendships really are, and whether a bunch of high-society women showing up at trial would really influence a jury. It doesn't discredit the fraud allegations against her.

Thanks for sourcing the info about the sorority sisters showing up at the trial. To tell you the truth, I was kinda surprised Stanford has sororities, but it seems they do! IMO if the jury finds out those are EH's sorority sisters—especially if one or more of them assumes EH's defense put them up to it—it could royally backfire for a whole bunch of reasons.
^^rsbbm

Really? Why would Stanford be any different than Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Dartmouth, etc?

From the link:

CNBC has learned Holmes has called former friends and sorority sisters from Kappa Alpha Theta at Stanford University asking if they would go to court as a show of support. Not all of her friends have accepted the invitation. A source close to the matter told CNBC one friend backed off because she was uncomfortable with the request.

Nevertheless, a small group of women — some from Holmes’ early days at Stanford — are a regular part of the former Theranos CEO’s entourage, which is now growing as she’s on the stand.

[..]

The “seen with friends” strategy is actually quite common, according to several legal analysts.

“Jurors are watching the behavior of the people who show up to support her,” Katherine James, a trial consultant based in Los Angeles, said. “There is a strong belief that if there are people with you that the jury is going to like it will rub off on you.”

But the strategy could turn against her.

“I’d be careful if I were Elizabeth Holmes,” Alan Tuerkheimer, a Chicago attorney and trial consultant, said. “Of course, she’s going to try and show an image that resonates with the jury, but if they see that as any kind of manipulative ploy to impress them then it could entirely backfire.”

It appears there's been a small group of women that have been regulars before the sorority request went out when EH was about to testify. We don't know how many-- if any, of the regulars attending are from Kappa Alpha Theta.

Clearly, EH didn't invent this "seen with friends idea" which is cited as quite common by several legal analysts.

And the reasons it could backfire have nothing to do with OP's "idea of sororities" and probably fraternities for that matter.

Let's be clear, manipulative ploys are what got EH in this situation.

Also, becoming an active member in any sorority or fraternity is not instant and requires completion of the probationary period or pledgeship where the member learns about the organization and the organization learns about the member. Generally, membership is obtained as an undergraduate but continues, thereafter, for life.

MOO

As someone who attended community college at night, while working, seeing EH with a bunch of other rich, blondes, wearing twin sweater sets, pearls, and perfect teeth, with identical nose jobs, would be offensive to me personally, if I was a juror.

EH is so impossibly pretentious, she wouldn't even realize that being seen as BFF with a bunch of other rich women as counterproductive. Tone deaf.

Came looking for updates from yesterday's hearing - so - thought I would give you a break @UndiscoveredTruth - and will post those tweets for ya!
animated-smileys-christmas-044.gif

Dorothy Atkins
@doratki
·
18h
I’m in San Jose for Elizabeth Holmes’ charging conference & a hearing on jury instructions, which apparently no one cares about. There’s no line, no overflow room, and it’s the 1st time I got the 1st ticket inside. (The security guard told me I could add it to my collection lolz)

Ticket.jpg

Holmes' counsel have raised a few objections to the gov't's proposed jury instructions, which are mostly based on the 9th Circuit model instructions. They argue that the instructions don't do enough to explain "presumed innocent" and the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard.

Attys are in the courtroom. Holmes is not. Everyone seems more relaxed today. An attorney says "I guess the journalists don't care about this." Another atty points to me & says "she's here." The clerk says, "It's Friday!" But adds, "It doesn't mean anything for us" - got a laugh.

Elizabeth Holmes is in the courtroom. Her mom is here too. (The Bloomberg reporter arrived as well, so I'm now not the only journo in the room.) Let's get this show on the road!

Judge Ed Davila is in the courtroom and observes that there's "not a dearth of binders" at his bench. Holmes' counsel Amy Saharia says "we suffer from the same problem, your honor." But the judge notes that the attorneys have more space at counsel table.

Saharia says Holmes wants to reserve her right to propose additional instructions after the close of evidence, and prosecutor Kelly Volkar wants to focus on the "substantive" jury instructions. Judge Davila agrees w/ both points and says today is just a "high level" discussion.

Holmes' atty Amy Saharia wants the judge to separate jury instructions describing the conspiracy to commit wire fraud of investors and conspiracy wire fraud for patients. She says it's too confusing to lump them together b/c they're dif alleged schemes. Prosecutor disagrees.

Holmes' counsel Amy Saharia: "It’s going to get very complicated, we think, for the jury to understand how the different charges [relate] if you're mixing and matching schemes."

Prosecutor Kelly Volkar: "breaking out what would be one instruction to 10-15 pages and adding significant detail" is unnecessary, b/c the gov’ts instructions are "tried and true." Instructions "should be legally correct, they should be clear and they should be brief," she says.

Judge Davila notes that there isn't a 9th Circ model instruction defining "willfulness" and wants the attorneys to meet and try to agree on a definition. Holmes' counsel says they want to use the willful def in Bryan v US, which is "acted w/ knowledge that conduct was unlawful."

Prosecutor Kelly Volkar says the gov't doesn't think they should mention "willful" at all, and the mens rea standard is more about Holmes' knowledge of the crime.

Prosecutor Robert Leach argues the Bryant case involved firearms and set a "significantly higher" mental state standard than required for conspiracy to commit wire fraud. "Willfully is a word with different meanings in different context" and "there's no need for a def here."

Judge Davila won't rule on the willful language, but he notes that the gov't proposed including the word "willful" in their jury instructions, which are modeled after the 9th Circ. He also tells defense counsel that their proposed instructions "seem to be lengthy" & need editing.

(I've been covering this case blow-by-blow since the indictment was filed in 2018 and tbh I'm still confused about the different counts/charges, and this hearing isn't helping.)

Holmes' counsel Amy Saharia takes issue with prosecutors' proposed jury instruction that says "a defendant’s actions can constitute a scheme to defraud even if there are no specific false statements involved." Saharia says it's "highly misleading," confusing and inaccurate.

Prosecutor Kelly Volkar defends the statement & notes the gov't used it in other high-profile wire fraud criminal case against Autonomy's former chief financial officer, Sushovan Hussain. But the judge says the gov't should rethink it and consider whether it applies in this case.

Defense also takes issue w/ the gov't instruction that it doesn't matter whether material transmitted by wire was false or deceptive as long as a wire was used in the scheme, "nor does it matter whether the scheme or plan was successful or that any money or property was obtained"

Holmes' counsel says it's unnecessary b/c the gov't alleges the scheme was successful and it's legally incorrect. Prosecutor says this sentence was also used in Hussain's case. (ICYMI here's my coverage of that trial which the 9th circ upheld)

HP.jpg

Prosecutor Robert Leach says the sentence should be included b/c the defense has suggested that Holmes isn't guilty b/c she never cashed in her stock and profited, and "we didn’t want jurors to think that profit is essential to [establish] motive here."

The attorneys aren't gonna agree on this one, so the judge will probably have to make the call on that. Moving on, Holmes' counsel wants the court to give a definition for "scheme to defraud," but again prosecutors say that's unnecessary.

The parties also disagree over whether the jury should be given a "good faith" instruction, which basically says Holmes' isn't guilty if she acted in good faith. Prosecutor Kelly Volkar thinks the instruction is not required and shouldn't be included.

Judge Davila asks the parties about scheduling. Holmes' counsel Kevin Downey says prosecutors told him they don't currently plan to call rebuttal witnesses, and "evidence will likely conclude during next week."

Judge Davila says the jury will get the case "certainly by the 20th." Prosecutor Robert Leach thinks they'll get it by at least the 17th. That's all for today.

link: https://twitter.com/doratki

Came looking for updates from yesterday's hearing - so - thought I would give you a break @UndiscoveredTruth - and will post those tweets for ya!

Dorothy Atkins
@doratki
·
18h
I’m in San Jose for Elizabeth Holmes’ charging conference & a hearing on jury instructions, which apparently no one cares about. There’s no line, no overflow room, and it’s the 1st time I got the 1st ticket inside. (The security guard told me I could add it to my collection lolz)

View attachment 325268

Holmes' counsel have raised a few objections to the gov't's proposed jury instructions, which are mostly based on the 9th Circuit model instructions. They argue that the instructions don't do enough to explain "presumed innocent" and the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard.

Attys are in the courtroom. Holmes is not. Everyone seems more relaxed today. An attorney says "I guess the journalists don't care about this." Another atty points to me & says "she's here." The clerk says, "It's Friday!" But adds, "It doesn't mean anything for us" - got a laugh.

Elizabeth Holmes is in the courtroom. Her mom is here too. (The Bloomberg reporter arrived as well, so I'm now not the only journo in the room.) Let's get this show on the road!

Judge Ed Davila is in the courtroom and observes that there's "not a dearth of binders" at his bench. Holmes' counsel Amy Saharia says "we suffer from the same problem, your honor." But the judge notes that the attorneys have more space at counsel table.

Saharia says Holmes wants to reserve her right to propose additional instructions after the close of evidence, and prosecutor Kelly Volkar wants to focus on the "substantive" jury instructions. Judge Davila agrees w/ both points and says today is just a "high level" discussion.

Holmes' atty Amy Saharia wants the judge to separate jury instructions describing the conspiracy to commit wire fraud of investors and conspiracy wire fraud for patients. She says it's too confusing to lump them together b/c they're dif alleged schemes. Prosecutor disagrees.

Holmes' counsel Amy Saharia: "It’s going to get very complicated, we think, for the jury to understand how the different charges [relate] if you're mixing and matching schemes."

Prosecutor Kelly Volkar: "breaking out what would be one instruction to 10-15 pages and adding significant detail" is unnecessary, b/c the gov’ts instructions are "tried and true." Instructions "should be legally correct, they should be clear and they should be brief," she says.

Judge Davila notes that there isn't a 9th Circ model instruction defining "willfulness" and wants the attorneys to meet and try to agree on a definition. Holmes' counsel says they want to use the willful def in Bryan v US, which is "acted w/ knowledge that conduct was unlawful."

Prosecutor Kelly Volkar says the gov't doesn't think they should mention "willful" at all, and the mens rea standard is more about Holmes' knowledge of the crime.

Prosecutor Robert Leach argues the Bryant case involved firearms and set a "significantly higher" mental state standard than required for conspiracy to commit wire fraud. "Willfully is a word with different meanings in different context" and "there's no need for a def here."

Judge Davila won't rule on the willful language, but he notes that the gov't proposed including the word "willful" in their jury instructions, which are modeled after the 9th Circ. He also tells defense counsel that their proposed instructions "seem to be lengthy" & need editing.

(I've been covering this case blow-by-blow since the indictment was filed in 2018 and tbh I'm still confused about the different counts/charges, and this hearing isn't helping.)

Holmes' counsel Amy Saharia takes issue with prosecutors' proposed jury instruction that says "a defendant’s actions can constitute a scheme to defraud even if there are no specific false statements involved." Saharia says it's "highly misleading," confusing and inaccurate.

Prosecutor Kelly Volkar defends the statement & notes the gov't used it in other high-profile wire fraud criminal case against Autonomy's former chief financial officer, Sushovan Hussain. But the judge says the gov't should rethink it and consider whether it applies in this case.

Defense also takes issue w/ the gov't instruction that it doesn't matter whether material transmitted by wire was false or deceptive as long as a wire was used in the scheme, "nor does it matter whether the scheme or plan was successful or that any money or property was obtained"

Holmes' counsel says it's unnecessary b/c the gov't alleges the scheme was successful and it's legally incorrect. Prosecutor says this sentence was also used in Hussain's case. (ICYMI here's my coverage of that trial which the 9th circ upheld)

View attachment 325269

Prosecutor Robert Leach says the sentence should be included b/c the defense has suggested that Holmes isn't guilty b/c she never cashed in her stock and profited, and "we didn’t want jurors to think that profit is essential to [establish] motive here."

The attorneys aren't gonna agree on this one, so the judge will probably have to make the call on that. Moving on, Holmes' counsel wants the court to give a definition for "scheme to defraud," but again prosecutors say that's unnecessary.

The parties also disagree over whether the jury should be given a "good faith" instruction, which basically says Holmes' isn't guilty if she acted in good faith. Prosecutor Kelly Volkar thinks the instruction is not required and shouldn't be included.

Judge Davila asks the parties about scheduling. Holmes' counsel Kevin Downey says prosecutors told him they don't currently plan to call rebuttal witnesses, and "evidence will likely conclude during next week."

Judge Davila says the jury will get the case "certainly by the 20th." Prosecutor Robert Leach thinks they'll get it by at least the 17th. That's all for today.

link: https://twitter.com/doratki
Uh, sorry defense team- manipulation and using another company's logo without authorization isn't "good faith", even if Balwani had told her to do it or it was standard practice by others.

Dorothy Atkins
@doratki
·
18h
RSBM:

Thank you @Niner..really appreciate it.
goodjob.gif

secret.gif
I feel kinda bad cause I feel Dorothy's tweet above was aimed at me
whistle.gif
lol

Uh, sorry defense team- manipulation and using another company's logo without authorization isn't "good faith", even if Balwani had told her to do it or it was standard practice by others.

So, EH is really just a stupid, simpering, victim? Doing whatever Balwani wanted her to do? Looks like she is doing exactly what she wants below. Mesmerizing people with charm and charisma.

Blood, Simpler

So, EH is really just a stupid, simpering, victim? Doing whatever Balwani wanted her to do? Looks like she is doing exactly what she wants below. Mesmerizing people with charm and charisma.

Blood, Simpler
I found a couple of very interesting paragraphs in this article: Some observers are troubled by Theranos’s secrecy; its blood tests may well turn out to be groundbreaking, but the company has published little data in peer-reviewed journals describing how its devices work or attesting to the quality of the results. “It’s trying to apply the Steve Jobs way of keeping everything secret until the iPhone was released,” Lakshman Ramamurthy, a molecular biologist and a former associate director at the F.D.A., told me. “But a health test is more consequential than a consumer product. It needs to be clinically valid and provide useful information.”
Theranos has managed to keep its technology a secret for much of its decade of existence in part because it occupies a regulatory gray area. Most other diagnostic labs, including Quest and Laboratory Corporation of America, perform blood tests on equipment that they buy from outside manufacturers, like Siemens and Roche Diagnostics. Before those devices can be sold, they must be approved by the F.D.A., a process that makes their tests’ performances more visible to the public. But, since Theranos manufactures its own testing equipment, the F.D.A. doesn’t need to approve it, as long as the company doesn’t sell it or move it out of its labs.
What exactly happens in the machines is treated as a state secret, and Holmes’s description of the process was comically vague: “A chemistry is performed so that a chemical reaction occurs and generates a signal from the chemical interaction with the sample, which is translated into a result, which is then reviewed by certified laboratory personnel.”
Theranos has conceded that it does earn revenue from the military,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member