CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a bit more detail on his interactions with LE:

Brown also detailed three previous contacts between Rodger and law enforcement authorities. The first, in July 2013, involved an alleged assault on Rodger in which it was suspected he may have been the aggressor and the case was suspended. The second, in January 2014, saw Rodger make a citizen’s arrest of a roommate he alleged had stolen three candles worth $22.

On 30 April, Brown said, deputies made contact with Rodger to check on his welfare after a request from a family member. Brown said it had been “determined that he did not meet the criteria for an involuntary mental health hold”.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...pect-california-mass-murder-shooting-stabbing

Having read the manifesto, which gives a lot of insight into what he was thinking, it doesn't sound like he was regularly seeing any therapists. Sounds like he very occasionally saw a psychiatrist when he was home on a break at his parents', and then his parents had hired a service to provide him with some young people to help him develop social skills. They would talk to him and go out with occasionally to try to help him interact socially.

It's hard to know how well to trust his manifesto, because he was obviously extremely narcissistic and delusional, but it doesn't sound like he told many people (including his family) about his hatred for women and his plans for violence. The one or two friends that he expressed his emotions to honestly cut off their friendships with him--I'm sure they were frightened by what they saw. He was lying to his parents about going to college--taking their money to live on, but not attending college--even though they thought he was.

Besides being obsessed with sex, he was also obsessed with getting rich (as a means of attracting women to himself), but had decided that his only way of achieving that was to win the lottery (because he was convinced he wasn't good at anything). He spent thousands of dollars on lottery tickets and would plunge into a deep depression every time he wouldn't win.

It sounds like his parents were aware that he had a lot of emotional issues, as he clearly expressed his social anxiety to them and would often get upset and cry about many things. But it isn't clear from the manifesto whether they had any idea about the rage that fueled him, or that he had bought several guns, etc.

He also doesn't mention having therapists when he was younger, even though it sounds like his emotional issues were present from a pretty early age.

Sadly, the main advice he seems to have gotten from various people (at least based on the manifesto) is variations on The Secret book--if you imagine yourself achieving success and believe it will happen, you will manifest your own happiness, etc. He spent a lot of time imagining his delusions and then being maddeningly disappointed when it didn't work. It's all incredibly sad and horrific.

I can't imagine what his family is going through reading that whole story of his life (from his warped perspective)--or what the families of those senselessly murdered are going through. All of it is such a waste.

He mentioned seeing a psychiatrist named Dr Charles Sophy. Apparently, the psych had a couple of twenty-something counselors, one male and one female, work with ER. He stated that Dr Sophy recommended he take a medication (sorry, don't recall the name), but ER decided not to take it.

He didn't seem especially angry with the therapists, IMO. In fact, the only bad thing he had to say about the male counselor was that women found him attractive.

The drug he mentioned was "risperidone".

Risperidone is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, irritability associated with autistic disorder). This medication can help you to think clearly and take part in everyday life.
Risperidone belongs to a class of drugs called atypical antipsychotics. It works by helping to restore the balance of certain natural substances in the brain.
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-2034-RISPERIDONE+-+ORAL.aspx?drugid=6283&drugname=risperidone+oral
Risperidone is used to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia (a mental illness that causes disturbed or unusual thinking, loss of interest in life, and strong or inappropriate emotions) in adults and teenagers 13 years of age and older. It is also used to treat episodes of mania (frenzied, abnormally excited, or irritated mood) or mixed episodes (symptoms of mania and depression that happen together) in adults and in teenagers and children 10 years of age and older with bipolar disorder (manic depressive disorder; a disease that causes episodes of depression, episodes of mania, and other abnormal moods). Risperidone is also used to treat behavior problems such as aggression, self-injury, and sudden mood changes in teenagers and children 5 to 16 years of age who have autism (a condition that causes repetitive behavior, difficulty interacting with others, and problems with communication). Risperidone is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It works by changing the activity of certain natural substances in the brain.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a694015.html

Risperdal: brand name
Risperidone: generic
INDICATIONS

Treatment of schizophrenia in adults and adolescents (13-17 yrs of age). Treatment of acute manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder as monotherapy in adults and pediatrics (10-17 yrs of age) or as adjunctive therapy with lithium or valproate in adults.
Treatment of irritability associated with autistic disorder, including symptoms of aggression towards others, deliberate self-injuriousness, temper tantrums, and quickly changing moods, in children and adolescents (5-17 yrs of age).

http://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/risperdal?druglabelid=977

It doesn't look like it is indicated for use in adults with autism. He could have been prescribed it anyway.

If he didn't take it that is no surprise.

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

Any info on whether ER was employed? If not, daddy must have provided a hefty allowance and the expensive car. A victim of his own affluenza.

The majority of recent intervention studies for individuals with HFA/Asperger syndrome pertain to pharmacological treatments. Risperidone, a dopamine blocking agent, has been used successfully to treat symptoms of aggression and anxiety in this population. ...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/460482_8

Any info on whether ER was employed? If not, daddy must have provided a hefty allowance and the expensive car. A victim of his own affluenza.

Thank you! I was trying to remember that catchy little word!
AFFLUENZA!

Having read the manifesto, which gives a lot of insight into what he was thinking, it doesn't sound like he was regularly seeing any therapists. Sounds like he very occasionally saw a psychiatrist when he was home on a break at his parents', and then his parents had hired a service to provide him with some young people to help him develop social skills. They would talk to him and go out with occasionally to try to help him interact socially.

It's hard to know how well to trust his manifesto, because he was obviously extremely narcissistic and delusional, but it doesn't sound like he told many people (including his family) about his hatred for women and his plans for violence. The one or two friends that he expressed his emotions to honestly cut off their friendships with him--I'm sure they were frightened by what they saw. He was lying to his parents about going to college--taking their money to live on, but not attending college--even though they thought he was.

Besides being obsessed with sex, he was also obsessed with getting rich (as a means of attracting women to himself), but had decided that his only way of achieving that was to win the lottery (because he was convinced he wasn't good at anything). He spent thousands of dollars on lottery tickets and would plunge into a deep depression every time he wouldn't win.

It sounds like his parents were aware that he had a lot of emotional issues, as he clearly expressed his social anxiety to them and would often get upset and cry about many things. But it isn't clear from the manifesto whether they had any idea about the rage that fueled him, or that he had bought several guns, etc.

He also doesn't mention having therapists when he was younger, even though it sounds like his emotional issues were present from a pretty early age.

Sadly, the main advice he seems to have gotten from various people (at least based on the manifesto) is variations on The Secret book--if you imagine yourself achieving success and believe it will happen, you will manifest your own happiness, etc. He spent a lot of time imagining his delusions and then being maddeningly disappointed when it didn't work. It's all incredibly sad and horrific.

I can't imagine what his family is going through reading that whole story of his life (from his warped perspective)--or what the families of those senselessly murdered are going through. All of it is such a waste.

Very good assessment of his manifesto. I would add that his video game addiction in high school was rather significant. It wasn't so much that his obsession with playing World of Warcraft made him violent; it was more that game playing allowed him to disassociate from reality. He even seemed surprisingly self-aware on that point in his manifesto. I believe he says something like he woke up after playing WoW for 4 years and realized he had developed zero social skills in that time. He knew he needed to stop. Unfortunately, he just replaced playing video games with playing the lottery. He never demonstrated much interest in school or work.

JMO

Not employed from what I read. Both mother and father appeared to have contributed to his monthly expenses.

At one point, seems like he was able to save up enough to blow ~$5,000 on lottery tickets because he learned from "The Secret" that he could will/wish things to happen - he wanted to be a millionaire, thought that was the way he could get a girlfriend/sex.

Thank you! I was trying to remember that catchy little word!
AFFLUENZA!

Wondering how long before any of ER's "friends" come out of the woodwork?

Not employed from what I read. Both mother and father appeared to have contributed to his monthly expenses.

At one point, seems like he was able to save up enough to blow ~$5,000 on lottery tickets because he learned from "The Secret" that he could will/wish things to happen - he wanted to be a millionaire, thought that was the way he could get a girlfriend/sex.

Where have I heard about "The Secret" before?

Not according to his manifesto. He stated he held a janitorial briefly, but he thought it was beneath him, so he quit.

He claims the car was a gift from his mom (though he thought he should have had one sooner). His father didn't have a lot of money. He invested his life savings in his movie, which flopped. RE called his father "foolish" for making the movie. At one point, the father couldn't afford to pay the mother child support, according to RE.

Where have I heard about "The Secret" before?

The Secret is a best-selling 2006 self-help book written by Rhonda Byrne, based on the The Secret (2006 film) of the same name. It is based on the Law of attraction and claims that Optimism can create life-changing results such as increased wealth, health, and happiness. The book has sold more than 19 million copies worldwide and has been translated into 46 languages, but has attracted a great deal of controversy, as well as being parodied in several TV programs. ...

The Secret (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Strange how the witnesses kept seeing two perps:

http://www.keyt.com/news/shooting-in-isla-vista/26152454
Michael Vitak, a student from the Czech Republic, told (NewsChanne 3 reporter Victoria )Sanchez what he witnessed.
"Guys in a BMW. Maybe they were trying to prove they're tough," Vitak said during a live televised interview.
--One woman identified as Sierra told Sanchez she was approached by two men in a black BMW. The driver flashed a small black handgun and asked '"Hey, what's up?"'

http://www.newspress.com/Top/Article/article.jsp?Section=LOCAL&ID=566991909294309402
Kevin de Bree... he saw a black BMW pull up to the 7-Eleven. It looked like someone was leaning out of the car, and there was such chaos that De Bree at first thought there must’ve been two people in the BMW.

Well ... shouldn't take long, willingly or unwillingly, as all of them are named in his rambling diatribe.

I won't be surprised if they not only deny being friends with him, I'll bet that they will claim that whatever he wrote never happened. They probably bent over backwards to be nice as long as they could stand it. I guess we might find out.

Very good assessment of his manifesto. I would add that his video game addiction in high school was rather significant. It wasn't so much that his obsession with playing World of Warcraft made him violent; it was more that game playing allowed him to disassociate from reality. He even seemed surprisingly self-aware on that point in his manifesto. I believe he says something like he woke up after playing WoW for 4 years and realized he had developed zero social skills in that time. He knew he needed to stop. Unfortunately, he just replaced playing video games with playing the lottery. He never demonstrated much interest in school or work.

JMO

Yes, I agree that the video game addiction was a serious sign of emotional issues. A lot of his anger at his stepmother at that time was that she seemed to be the only one who tried to restrict his video time (he complained that he couldn't play his five-hour sessions like he did when at his mother's). He did seem pretty aware of the ways he used video games to replace real relationships (although he did have some friends he played with regularly). It sounds like his parents didn't really know what to do with him and would eventually give him what he said would make him happy. It's hard not to wonder what a lot of personal intervention and attention would have achieved at this point.

He did seem to hold onto perceived slights and grudges from an early age (at least based on the manifesto). He says that he stopped inviting any friends over to play when his stepmother got angry at him in front of one of them. He would only play with friends at his mother's after that. And he stopped playing with friends at his mother's at various points when she had to rent an apt or house that he thought was embarrassingly small or in a poor area of town. His early perceptions of status and rank among kids at school seemed to be his first obsession. His parents seemed to be trying to help him fit in in the ways he wanted to--but none of those things touched his sense of self, which was sadly lacking.

Appears ER's narcissism could be a familial thing. He came by it honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drella444