CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
......At 21, he called his parents ranting about his loneliness and virginity. They insisted he see a psychiatrist. The next month, he bought his first gun.

.......... was 20, after two women at a bus stop didn’t smile back at him when he drove by, he turned his car around and splashed them with his Starbucks latte, taking pleasure in it staining their jeans, driving away quickly before they could get his license plate. And months later, when he spotted a happy group of “popular college kids” — “typical fraternity jocks, tall and muscular” and “beautiful blonde girls” — playing kickball in a park, he went to a K-mart and bought a Supersoaker, which he filled with orange juice and sprayed them, driving away when they chased him, an ominous foreshadowing of the devastation he would wreak later with a real gun.

.........writes that he discovered PUAHate.com he anti-pick-up-artist site — in the Spring of 2013 and that many people there “shared [his] hatred of women [but] would be too cowardly to act on it” and that the site “confirmed his theories about how wicked and degenerate women really are.

........... was seeing a psychiatrist as well as a series of “counselors,” who were supposed to essentially act as friends and help him socialize, but Rodger’s deranged jealousy was such that it only made him more distraught when women were attracted to his counselor and though he bonded with a female counselor, she moved away, and he didn’t want another because it felt like prostitution to hire a woman to spend time with him. The psychiatrist prescribed Risperidone, (the stuff is really rough on folks - puts them in a coma, they usually refuse to take it because of the horrible side effects they experiance-the drug has a very high non compliance rate) but Rodger refused to take it after Googling it.

......at 21 in the fall of 2013, he got drunk and went to a party, but he wound up getting violent and trying to push people off a ledge. He wound up getting pushed instead, and beaten, and broke his leg.

..........plans to lure people to his house and torture them in the style of Theon Greyjoy,

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...print-of-santa-barbara-shooter-elliot-rodger/

bbm. Thanks for that info - I haven't read much of his manifesto yet, so didn't know that. To be prescribed Risperidone means he was identified as seriously mentally ill by the psychiatrist. Risperidone is a seriously strong med for psychosis, amongst other things. It is not lightly prescribed!

I agree with what other posters have said earlier - surely the treating mental health professionals bear some responsibility here?? I'm in Australia, so the law may well be very different to the US, but here a person can be 'sectioned' (involuntarily placed into a mental hospital) if they are a danger to themselves or others. He clearly fit that criteria, judging by his writings........

Very alarming that he slipped through the net when I see him as someone who was leaving very visible signs along the way about how mentally unwell he was. He needed serious intervention. And it didn't happen. JMO

Exactly. It would be very hard for any man to be friends with him, because as soon as this man would get a girlfriend, he would become an enemy instead of a friend.
As for girls, instead of trying to approach them, he appears to have just wanted for them to chaise after him. And when they didn't, he would fly into a rage. He describes how he was driving, saw two females, decided they didn't pay attention to him, he drove around and threw his coffee drink at them.
He was even jealous of his little half brother because the boy was tall for his age, while he himself was short.
Thankfully he didn't kill the little boy.

bbm. Thanks for that info - I haven't read much of his manifesto yet, so didn't know that. To be prescribed Risperidone means he was identified as seriously mentally ill by the psychiatrist. Risperidone is a seriously strong med for psychosis, amongst other things. It is not lightly prescribed!

I agree with what other posters have said earlier - surely the treating mental health professionals bear some responsibility here?? I'm in Australia, so the law may well be very different to the US, but here a person can be 'sectioned' (involuntarily placed into a mental hospital) if they are a danger to themselves or others. He clearly fit that criteria, judging by his writings........

Very alarming that he slipped through the net when I see him as someone who was leaving very visible signs along the way about how mentally unwell he was. He needed serious intervention. And it didn't happen. JMO

He never took the drug. He researched it and decided it was not for him.
Mental health professionals could only commit him if he expressed these thoughts to them. If he didn't, their hands were tied.

Apartment killings

unless the killings were spaced apart - by hours- how could one person kill three people
it seems like if someone i was lliving with started screaming and two of us there we could go overpower him

with a gun i could get it but with knives the only conclusion i can come up with is he killed one waited killed the next waited killed the next ??? No?

A N D a PS here! Last night LE was very odd --- it first broke as 6 killed peroid giving the impression that all 6 were in the slow drive bye mode

it was hours later before LE acknoledge that three of the six were in his apartment. We cant say from the begginning that they did NOT know about the 3 in the apt - the number was 6;

Why did they not from the beggining say three dead in suspects apt and three on the streets???????????

Kinda wonder if mom dad call and cops did not respond correctly and the truth might be if LE responded to mom earlier report ( first place LE would go is where the young man lived )

Notions pls

Do they have 24 hour staff on board like a five star hotel and activities scheduled once a month?

I don't know about 5 star hotel (room service, maids, etc...), but you have full maintenance like any other apartment complex. And of course they have scheduled events. They give out a monthly calendar for all events. It's the "College Experience" as they call it. The communities are lovely though. Really nice.

I believe it will be interesting to find out how much mental health care he has been receiving. In many cases we know there has been no access or not enough to mental health care. This seems according to what I have gathered or read, his parents provided this for him. However you cannot hire mental illness away.

If someone has chest pains the fire truck ambulance and all anticipated equipment is dispatched to the scene. However if a mental health call or "welfare check" is dispatched only a couple deputies handle the call and ask a few questions, not to include "do you have any weapons in the house. Doesn't seem to shake out to me.

JMO's

What do people feel could have been done?

He didn't present himself like that crazed gunman in Colorado. He appeared normal to police who are not mental health professionals.

It appears the family tried to provide help for him. But as an adult, you cannot force treatment or meds on someone.

He kept his murderous thoughts to himself until right before he was going to act.

He was a very unpleasant person but not everyone who is so narcissistic and self absorbed is a killer.

Bill Gates considers himself to have Aspergers. Probably Einstein as well.

I do not know what else could have legally been done

I believe it will be interesting to find out how much mental health care he has been receiving. In many cases we know there has been no access or not enough to mental health care. This seems according to what I have gathered or read, his parents provided this for him. However you cannot hire mental illness away.

If someone has chest pains the fire truck ambulance and all anticipated equipment is dispatched to the scene. However if a mental health call or "welfare check" is dispatched only a couple deputies handle the call and ask a few questions, not to include "do you have any weapons in the house. Doesn't seem to shake out to me.
JMO's

BBM According to ER, SEVEN deputies showed up at his door. He was very proud of how he was able to fool them.

He never took the drug. He researched it and decided it was not for him.
Mental health professionals could only commit him if he expressed these thoughts to them. If he didn't, their hands were tied.

I know he didn't take the drug - I was just pointing out that he had evidently been identified as seriously unwell to warrant such a prescription.

And re mental health professionals hands being tied - what he posted on Youtube and his writings online would surely count as evidence of him posing a danger to others? If he were my client and his parents contacted me with evidence like that, I'd be seriously swooping into action. JMO though.

And I'm not saying it is the psychiatrist's fault, btw. This is all his ER's own doing - but I guess I'm just wishing out loud that there had been more successful intervention, especially when his mental unravelling seems to be so public.:seeya:

What do people feel could have been done?

He didn't present himself like that crazed gunman in Colorado. He appeared normal to police who are not mental health professionals.

It appears the family tried to provide help for him. But as an adult, you cannot force treatment or meds on someone.

He kept his murderous thoughts to himself until right before he was going to act.

He was a very unpleasant person but not everyone who is so narcissistic and self absorbed is a killer.

Bill Gates considers himself to have Aspergers. Probably Einstein as well.

I do not know what else could have legally been done

He did put the videos on-line way before the murders. After police came to interview him, he removed the videos. Did police ever view these videos prior to interviewing him?

I happen to read his manifesto and I notice some themes.

-Poor relationship with stepmother and to some lesser extent the father.
-Good relationship with mother
-Extreme sense of entitlement
-Inferior and superior complex
-Resentful when he does not get attention
-Distorted image of self and others
-Chooses to be loner as consumed by anger

Well ... it could be possible the young persons, who were hired to help ER with his social skills, came from the Independent Living place.

Did he mention them by name?
Very interesting if he didn't,

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

As an example here's one in the Midwest. Looking at the webpage maybe same webdesigner or owners.

http://gogrove.com/columbia/

Interesting. Nothing like that where I live. There are apartments, but they are for anyone. Where I live, a lot of students live off campus in neighborhoods by the schools. When the housing bubble was going strong, parents bought houses and rented them out. Cheaper than a dorm and a great money maker.

No maintenance and destroyed family neighborhoods. These apartments seem like a great answer, but there needs to be land to build them

I happen to read his manifesto and I notice some themes.

-Poor relationship with stepmother and to some lesser extent the father.
-Good relationship with mother
-Extreme sense of entitlement
-Inferior and superior complex
-Resentful when he does not get attention
-Distorted image of self and others
-Chooses to be loner as consumed by anger

Lots of things in common with other mass killers. They tend to be loners who don't fit into society.

Lots of things in common with other mass killers. They tend to be loners who don't fit into society.

We may not be able to profile rampage killers, but they share common characteristics. They are often injustice collectors or grudge holder. I have seen non-rampage killers who are injustice collectors as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416