CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, a question for the Mega Sluths - there is one musical video in the "Elliot's Adventures" set

- it's "driving on a foggy day in Santa Barbara."

This is the video where the music has been excised/muted for IP purposes.

Rather than display my dismay, I wanted to ask the team if we know what song is playing? Uncertain when they restricted this ( Grrr.... whio made that call, gee)Please be kind enough to let me know your thoughts.

Most respectfully,

The G

*RSBM*

The song is "Davenport (C'est la vie, sail away)"

[video=youtube;TqnHxG5ycwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqnHxG5ycwo[/video]

Elliot Rodger's Adventures, Santa Barbara in the morning fog (MUSIC INCLUDED) - YouTube

This can not be the original song that was in the video, can it?
This Bart Davenport person does not seem "80s" to me.

Well I'm confused, that a professional appears to be giving a critique of treatments, based purely on the writings of the patient.

ER (in my opinion) was not a writer or a journalist with any concept of fact-checking, accuracy, or a balanced, well-researched story. He was a lister who simply listed the things/events that seemed most important to him. In my opinion.

He says virtually nothing in his manifesto about the extensive treatments it seemed he received.

Hello, I have been a lurker for a while now on Websleuths but have never posted...

I'm a psychotherapist and it alarms me that so many people are saying that his therapists should have been able to diagnose him or realize that he was a threat to himself or others. Please let it be known that therapists are not psychics!

It is very difficult to diagnose a manipulative client, and one that hasn't ever been involved in the legal system. We need symptoms to diagnose, and if those symptoms are not made available via client report/presentation, family, or client systems report, it is virtually impossible to come up with an accurate diagnosis. I believe that psychopathy can be easily misdiagnosed as Asperger's, but it is definitely possible to have both as one does not rule out the other. There is a saying in my industry: "You can't work harder than the client." If ER was not an active participant in therapy, then the therapists are left with an inaccurate picture much of the time and thus unable to accurately treat. I have my own private practice, and I terminate therapy with clients who are not participating/nonadherent to my treatment plan as it is a waste of their time and mine. I also cannot talk to family members of any of my adult patients unless my patient writes a release of information giving me permission to speak to them. In fact, I can't even acknowledge they are my client if family members call wanting to give me information.

We also don't know how many times he had seen therapists. I find it likely that he would not attend consistently and also terminate prematurely. Additionally, it is extremely difficult to treat someone who is psychotic, manic, delusional or paranoid when they are not taking their medication. I personally do not see any client displaying these symptoms until I can get a letter from the psychiatrist that they have been medically managed for 3+ months. This is mainly due to the fact that I work all by myself and I need patients with these symptoms to be accurately medicated for my own safety reasons. Many people who work in community mental health do not have this option, and rightly so.

An involuntary outpatient commitment could have been an option for ER in addition to involuntary inpatient commitment, as well as his parents getting conservatorship. However, these options are very hard to get, although I feel the involuntary outpatient commitment should be more readily available for those who have severe mental illness. Risperidone is available in a monthly shot as well and I feel that this should be used more readily in community mental health settings with people who have severe mental illness. However, if a patient does not share information with a mental health professional about plans to hurt himself or others, there is no duty to warn--in fact, we can be sued if we do so without such threats. In these cases patients often fly under the radar.

I have an aunt who is paranoid schizophrenic and has had 5 involuntary commitments due to the fact that she threatened others in our presence. She is extremely intelligent and figured out quickly how to get discharged. However, when we attempted to get conservatorship, she went missing for 3 years. To this day she doesn't adhere to her medication. We even found out that she bought a Glock in Texas AFTER she had already been institutionalized 4 times. Extremely scary. When I called to see if she had another gun in Nevada, where she had moved, no one was able to tell me if she had a gun or if she had ever applied to get one. We cannot force her to take her medicine as she is an adult. We cannot have her institutionalized again because she refuses to speak to us, and thus we have no more threatening statements from her.

Deinstitutionalization had many setbacks, and the biggest problem has been getting help for family members when you do not have threats of violence. I'm not sure what the answer is, because people with severe mental illness are warranted their own civil rights. Its definitely a major problem as a family member of a paranoid schizophrenic as well as a therapist.

JMO

:welcome5: Colbie!

I wonder if he was on xanax(sp?) and combined it with some weird and wonderful bodybuilder drug? Or I am even beginning to wonder if it's possible there was a bad batch of something, and ER might not have been the only one affected....but I am waiting on details of another case, before I really explore that.

I mention the xanax because in little Fiona Chafoulais' case in France, her mom was taking that, and mixing it with another drug, which had a very bad effect on her. If you count burying your own daughter and forgetting where you put her to be a bad effect...:(

It seems strange that a few people who knew ER are suggesting there was quite a sudden and recent change in him, and that his fluent online communications were unrecognizable. I wouldn't have thought someone with Asperger's could suddenly change and open up like that?

Xanax (alprazolam) is a benzodiazepine. It treats anxiety, panic disorder, insomnia, and anxiety caused by depression.
Basically, it chills you out.
He *may* have been prescribed it for "social anxiety disorder". Mixing it with alcohol or any other medication/drug, even St. John's Wart, is dangerous...as in "it can kill you".
Too much Xanax acts as a sedative.

In my experience, don't think it had anything to do with his behavior.

I don't want to minimize Autism or offend anyone with Autism, but I do wonder if Autism is being used by people as, how do I say... an easy out. For some folks it could be hard to say that so&so is a narcissist, or a psychopath. It seems to be more prevalent and I do wonder if that could be the reason. idk

I didn't read the entire article, but it should be noted that personality disorders cannot be diagnosed with patients under 18 years of age. Common diagnoses in these cases are "xyz personality disorder traits" and Oppositional Defiant Disorder or Conduct Disorder. In most cases these diagnoses are given when the minor patient has academic behavioral issues, violence at home and school, and defiant behavior, etc. If ER was just awkward and shy (with no excessive tantrums, defiance, violence, animal cruelty, or manipulative behavior) it is unlikely he would have been diagnosed with personality disorder traits, ODD, or CD. If he was not truthful in evaluations/therapy or not an active participant as a child and later as an adult, it is even more likely these diagnoses would have been overlooked.

**EDIT** I forgot to mention Reactive Attachment Disorder as common child diagnosis of adults who have personality disorders (in addition to ODD and CD).

I wonder if he was on xanax(sp?) and combined it with some weird and wonderful bodybuilder drug? Or I am even beginning to wonder if it's possible there was a bad batch of something, and ER might not have been the only one affected....but I am waiting on details of another case, before I really explore that.

I mention the xanax because in little Fiona Chafoulais' case in France, her mom was taking that, and mixing it with another drug, which had a very bad effect on her. If you count burying your own daughter and forgetting where you put her to be a bad effect...:(

It seems strange that a few people who knew ER are suggesting there was quite a sudden and recent change in him, and that his fluent online communications were unrecognizable. I wouldn't have thought someone with Asperger's could suddenly change and open up like that?

Who said there was a sudden change in him? As far as I can tell he was always weird. Per his own manifesto, he was planning these killings for quite a while.

I don't want to minimize Autism or offend anyone with Autism, but I do wonder if Autism is being used by people as, how do I say... an easy out. For some folks it could be hard to say that so&so is a narcissist, or a psychopath. It seems to be more prevalent and I do wonder if that could be the reason. idk

His behaviors are much more consistent with malignant narcissism.and this goes hand in hand with being a psychopath. ASD is being used as a scapegoat IMO and does nothing but harm true sufferers of ASD.ER felt slighted by just about everything anyone said about him, he turned everything into being a negative. He expected the whole world to revolve around him , even strangers passing by without smiling ! A malignant narcissism personality are life draining to be around. 24/7 it is all about them.Even when you point out (like his friends did) did you talk to the girl, which is normal to say he stubbornly refuse to even attempt to listen.

Begs you to wonder why the "family attorney" claimed "Asperger's" when the term is "Autism Spectrum Disorder"? Wouldn't the "family attorney" want to give specific information using the proper recognized terminology? To cover his backside?
My son decided to minor in Psychology last semester and he corrected me last night......

Is "Aspeger's" the new "catch all phrase" for mass murder? :banghead:

His behaviors are much more consistent with malignant narcissism.and this goes hand in hand with being a psychopath. ASD is being used as a scapegoat IMO and does nothing but harm true sufferers of ASD.ER felt slighted by just about everything anyone said about him, he turned everything into being a negative. He expected the whole world to revolve around him , even strangers passing by without smiling ! A malignant narcissism personality are life draining to be around. 24/7 it is all about them.Even when you point out (like his friends did) did you talk to the girl, which is normal to say he stubbornly refuse to even attempt to listen.

:goodpost:

I didn't read the entire article, but it should be noted that personality disorders cannot be diagnosed with patients under 18 years of age. Common diagnoses in these cases are "xyz personality disorder traits" and Oppositional Defiant Disorder or Conduct Disorder. In most cases these diagnoses are given when the minor patient has academic behavioral issues, violence at home and school, and defiant behavior, etc. If ER was just awkward and shy (with no excessive tantrums, defiance, violence, animal cruelty, or manipulative behavior) it is unlikely he would have been diagnosed with personality disorder traits, ODD, or CD. If he was not truthful in evaluations/therapy or not an active participant as a child and later as an adult, it is even more likely these diagnoses would have been overlooked.

**EDIT** I forgot to mention Reactive Attachment Disorder as common child diagnosis of adults who have personality disorders (in addition to ODD and CD).

Under 18's can be diagnosed with mental disorders though, yes?

I only ask that because when I first read you post I was like :waitasec:, because I remember seeing a show about a 7 year old girl who had Schizophrenia. It was so bad the parents rented 2 apartments next to each other so one of the parents could be in an apt. with her while the other was with the younger sibling in the other apt. (They coexisted in one place during normal hours, but never left her alone with the sibling, just slept in different apartments).
Then realized you said "personality" disorders, so that must be the distinction.

Wondering if this has been mentioned already but, Elliot has been an internet troll/bully for a long time. I am not sure if I am allowed to post his youtube username on here.

Begs you to wonder why the "family attorney" claimed "Asperger's" when the term is "Autism Spectrum Disorder"? Wouldn't the "family attorney" want to give specific information using the proper recognized terminology? To cover his backside?
My son decided to minor in Psychology last semester and he corrected me last night......

Asperger's is a part of autism spectrum disorder. Or at least is used to be until 2013. When they keep on changing the definitions, most people are left confused.
Also, the lawyer is not an MD. So I wouldn't expect him to use the latest terminology of whatever they came up with at the moment.

Under 18's can be diagnosed with mental disorders though, yes?

I only ask that because when I first read you post I was like :waitasec:, because I remember seeing a show about a 7 year old girl who had Schizophrenia. It was so bad the parents rented 2 apartments next to each other so one of the parents could be in an apt. with her while the other was with the younger sibling in the other apt. (They coexisted in one place during normal hours, but never left her alone with the sibling, just slept in different apartments).
Then realized you said "personality" disorders, so that must be the distinction.

Yes, this is only the case for personality disorders. There are some diagnoses that are rarely used for adults, such as Reactive Attachment Disorder, Conduct Disorder, and Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Wondering if this has been mentioned already but, Elliot has been an internet troll/bully for a long time. I am not sure if I am allowed to post his youtube username on here.

Only if it can proved with 100% certainty that it's him. Otherwise, we might be sleuthing a completely innocent person.

:seeya:

I read his postings on that weight lifting forum before it disappeared. He was a bully from what I saw.The internet made that easy for him, IMO He was able to release some of his rage against everyone by bullying others online JMO.

I am 100% sure that the account is his, I am not sure if the proof(s) I have is good enough to have it up on here.

:twocents::twocents: Adam Lanza ! That was the only diagnosis that the media told us, Everyone knew about Sandy Hook, due to it being a school and so many children even people who stay away from the news, who keep their head in the sand view the world with rose colored glasses, and because ER Aunt had said "He never would talk to his therapist" He was labeled with IMO ASD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoTX local