Found Safe CA - Eric Desplinter, 33, & Gabrielle Wallace, 31, hikers, Mt. Baldy, San Bernardino Co., 6 Apr 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He has a bright yellow jacket. If he is experienced then he knows to get out into the open where he can be seen from the air. If they haven't spotted him by air by now then they are disabled under tree cover or have slipped into a crevice somewhere.

On the local news last night it was stated they went out with another couple but the other couple turned around when the trail starting getting bad. Also reported that Eric Desplinter and Gabrielle Wallace did have all the proper gear and that Gabrielle had bought it new specially for this hike.
this article from the local newspaper has a bit of new info.
Search continues in Angeles National Forest for 2 missing hikers – San Bernardino Sun

When was the snow?! And yes, very odd to venture out on this type of hike in street clothes. And they were with a group - one that was arranged or one that they happened to meet up with while on the trail?

There has not been any snow up there in at least a week. Maybe they are saying that the snowpack is 4' tall.. but that would be at higher elevations. Hiking up Cucamonga Peak with any snow is quite dangerous. The snow melts and turns into ice... microspikes will help but traction is at I'd say tops 75% even with them on. You need crampons to hike. Hoping they are found safe...

The total snowpack at the top may be 4 feet, but the lower trails most certainly didn’t just receive 4 feet of snow.

There have been a few storms that were fairly warm in that area and I would be surprised if they received 4 inches of snow.

I think the major hazard is the icing on the snow surface, as well described by the trail report. It’s unclear whether either of them was prepared for snow hiking. If she was wearing jeans, I really wonder if she had waterproof boots. They would need ski poles and microspikes. No mention of snowshoes .

I tend to think one of them slipped on an icy part of the trail and fell and the other went after them.

Still hoping for good news.

Where are the reports of snow- and especially four feet of snow coming from? The weather forecast that I was able to find mentioned clear skies.
The snow comment came from a brand new WS member who is not yet a verified insider (hopefully they will do that) so I don't know if he/she is relying on personal knowledge or knowledge from social media but none of that has been reported in the news or verified by LE. The historical snow totals in the last two weeks are nowhere near multiple feet - there was 11 inches in mid/late March and that's it. Mt. Baldy Snow History | OnTheSnow Also MSM reports the search has not been delayed for weather or any other reasons, they are simply not re-searching areas already covered. Crews in Mt. Baldy Area Resume Search for Hikers Missing Since Saturday The dangers from ice on the ground reported by other hikers in the All Trails link earlier in this thread can't be discounted though.

The snow comment came from a brand new WS member who is not yet a verified insider (hopefully they will do that) so I don't know if he/she is relying on personal knowledge or knowledge from social media but none of that has been reported in the news or verified by LE. The historical snow totals in the last two weeks are nowhere near multiple feet - there was 11 inches in mid/late March and that's it. Mt. Baldy Snow History | OnTheSnow Also MSM reports the search has not been delayed for weather or any other reasons, they are simply not re-searching areas already covered. Crews in Mt. Baldy Area Resume Search for Hikers Missing Since Saturday The dangers from ice on the ground reported by other hikers in the All Trails link earlier in this thread can't be discounted though.
Yeah. I live in Upland, not too far from Mt Baldy, the snow comment is not too accurate IMO. Was actually going to hike Baldy this past Sunday, but opted for another hike since I didn't know these people were missing. One of the hikers that I follow on IG said that they saw them in the Saddle on Saturday but I'm not sure what time that was. The hike from that point down to trailhead is fairly safe, so I imagine they were headed up still and that's when they went missing. Without a topography map (and knowing how to read it) you can get lost fairly quick. I've personally gotten lost there along with two other experienced hikers because of the snow, but the AllTrails app helped us get back onto the trail. There is a magnitude of things that could have gone wrong, but in the end let's just hope they are sheltered somewhere waiting for help.

The total snowpack at the top may be 4 feet, but the lower trails most certainly didn’t just receive 4 feet of snow.

There have been a few storms that were fairly warm in that area and I would be surprised if they received 4 inches of snow.

I think the major hazard is the icing on the snow surface, as well described by the trail report. It’s unclear whether either of them was prepared for snow hiking. If she was wearing jeans, I really wonder if she had waterproof boots. They would need ski poles and microspikes. No mention of snowshoes .

I tend to think one of them slipped on an icy part of the trail and fell and the other went after them.

Still hoping for good news.
This is what I'm thinking as well. sadly.

Yeah. I live in Upland, not too far from Mt Baldy, the snow comment is not too accurate IMO. Was actually going to hike Baldy this past Sunday, but opted for another hike since I didn't know these people were missing. One of the hikers that I follow on IG said that they saw them in the Saddle on Saturday but I'm not sure what time that was. The hike from that point down to trailhead is fairly safe, so I imagine they were headed up still and that's when they went missing. Without a topography map (and knowing how to read it) you can get lost fairly quick. I've personally gotten lost there along with two other experienced hikers because of the snow, but the AllTrails app helped us get back onto the trail. There is a magnitude of things that could have gone wrong, but in the end let's just hope they are sheltered somewhere waiting for help.

Would they be able to get reception for the app hiking along those trails?

That’s one of the major problems I have with trail apps. I only really trust in a satellite service, such as Spot

I have something that blocks access to that on line report, and I’m not going to subscribe, so the SB Sun fuzzes out all the text.

Can you please give us more information from that report?

Multiple helicopters and search-and-rescue volunteers looked for the two over the weekend.

Elyse Johnson, a coworker of Desplinter and Wallace, said the two were hiking with a married couple and working on tackling the Southern California Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge.

The challenge requires hikers to scale six of 12 mountain peaks in Southern California. Hikers can scale a combination of Mount Wilson, Cucamonga Peak, Mount San Antonio (also known as Mt. Baldy), San Bernardino Peak, Mount San Jacinto, San Gorgonio Peak, Mount Baden-Powell, Ontario Peak, Sitton Peak, Mount Pinos, Strawberry Peak and Santiago Peak.

“They did Mount Wilson the weekend before,” Johnson said. “And that was supposed to be the easiest one.”

“My understanding is they all got halfway, and the other two felt like it was getting too difficult and decided to turn back. Eric and Gabrielle decided to keep going,” Johnson added.

Johnson, Desplinter, Wallace and at least one of the other hikers work together at an engineering design firm.

“I know them pretty well, like I’ve watched Eric’s cat for him when he’s out of town and we’ve done work trips together,” Johnson said. “I’ve also hung out with Gabrielle outside of work.”

Authorities said the two are believed to have a limited amount of food and water.

Desplinter, who deputies say is an experienced hiker, was last seen wearing a yellow jacket and green pants. Wallace wore a gray sweater and jeans.

“Our whole office is extremely worried, but we have faith because Eric has medic training from being in the military,” Johnson said.

“It’s surprising they haven’t been found yet. Eric should know what to do. I remember him mentioning the movie 127 Hours, and saying he’d always let people know where he is so he could be located,” she added.

On Monday, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department asked for additional resources from the California Office of Emergency Services.

Monday’s search for Desplinter and Wallace ended at around 5:30 p.m., according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.

While there won’t be any search parties out looking for the missing hikers overnight, a command post will be operational overnight and the search will continue on Tuesday morning.

Sgt. Jeff Alison said search party personnel will be stationed at trailheads to meet anyone walking about during the night.

Anyone who has seen Desplinter or Wallace was asked to call sheriff’s dispatchers at 909-387-8313.

Would they be able to get reception for the app hiking along those trails?

That’s one of the major problems I have with trail apps. I only really trust in a satellite service, such as Spot
If they have the app, yeah the GPS would still show them where they are at even if they had no reception. People laugh when I buy "things you'll never use" but satellite devices are worth every penny IF you ever have to use it.

Here’s some more detailed info from KTLA:

Crews in Mt. Baldy Area Resume Search for Hikers Missing Since Saturday

Sixteen SAR were coptered to the top to avoid having to climb up in current conditions.

They’ve found a cap, a treking pole, and some instructions on how to put on crampons ( !). However, they don’t know if any of these items belong to the missing pair.

I have something that blocks access to that on line report, and I’m not going to subscribe, so the SB Sun fuzzes out all the text.

Can you please give us more information from that report?
I'll send the information I could cut and past from the report in a private message to you. Update: I see someone already posted it for you so disregard :)

Here’s some more detailed info from KTLA:

Crews in Mt. Baldy Area Resume Search for Hikers Missing Since Saturday

Sixteen SAR were coptered to the top to avoid having to climb up in current conditions.

They’ve found a cap, a treking pole, and some instructions on how to put on crampons ( !). However, they don’t know if any of these items belong to the missing pair.
It was stated he bought the equipment specifically for this trip so if one of them had crampons then they would still have the instructions in the package. Very well could have been theirs.

They are experienced hikers carrying equipment such as spiked shoes and ice picks, so authorities remain hopeful about their survival on the mountain.

"People can survive for weeks without food," said Sgt. Randy Naquin with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. "There's plenty of water up there. They are experienced hikers. So we're definitely in hopes that were going to go out there and definitely find them."
While temperatures on the mountain are cold, they are not as bad as they might be during the peak of winter. During the daytime, temperatures were in the 60s and 70s. At the night the lowest they reached was in the 30s.

Searchers have covered most of the trail where the two were believed to have gone. There are concerns they may have fallen over the side.

Search for missing hikers on Mount Baldy continues for 3rd day (short video at link).

I only read it in post #13 above. There wasn't a link posted there. Perhaps the poster was mistaken.

Thanks, I believe you are right about the mistake. As another poster mentioned, he/she could have read a reference to 4' of accumulated snowpack before the melting began.

Thank goodness it is a simple error. I don't think anybody could survive blizzard conditions in light clothing.

I am hoping that since both are still missing that means they are lost instead of having slipped and been injured on an icy trail. I think the bigger danger is that a snow-packed, ice-covered trail is very hard to discern and very easy to lose. Hopefully they made it lower down the mountain to warmer temps and are waiting for rescue.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back