Found Safe CA - Eric Desplinter, 33, & Gabrielle Wallace, 31, hikers, Mt. Baldy, San Bernardino Co., 6 Apr 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am NOT a hiker, so forgive me for asking, but if one is to hike any of these mountain trails, would a flare ever be a part of your necessary gear when hiking?
I see so many of these missing hiker posts and keep wondering if having a flare would have made any difference in whether people survive or perish when a search is on?
I still think of Sam Sayers and wonder what happened to her.

I am NOT a hiker, so forgive me for asking, but if one is to hike any of these mountain trails, would a flare ever be a part of your necessary gear when hiking?
I see so many of these missing hiker posts and keep wondering if having a flare would have made any difference in whether people survive or perish when a search is on?
I still think of Sam Sayers and wonder what happened to her.
Flare guns are a potential forest fire starter, but the biggest issue is that there has to be someone around to see it and as well, understand it's meaning and urgency. If you have an injury and shoot off a flare before searches are really underway, it's not going to help.

Flare guns are a potential forest fire starter, but the biggest issue is that there has to be someone around to see it and as well, understand it's meaning and urgency. If you have an injury and shoot off a flare before searches are really underway, it's not going to help.
Thank you for your response and for pointing this out, I completely neglected to think about forest fires. Can a flare gun only be used once and then its done?

Thank you for your response and for pointing this out, I completely neglected to think about forest fires. Can a flare gun only be used once and then its done?
Flare guns have cartridges, so it depends how many cartridges you are carrying. Going out this Saturday to look for them... assuming they are lost and nothing worse. Someone mentioned that Eric had watched the movie 172 Hours, so I'll have to watch it again to see if that leads to any ideas that the two might be following. If I may offer some advise, if you ever get lost hiking follow the flow of water, the water flows downstream and it will eventually lead you out of the mountains.

Last edited:
My family lives in northern Minnesota close to many state parks and we always wear jeans for hiking- harder for ticks, thorns and mosquitos to get through...
I’m really hoping they have means of getting water and staying warm.. my fingers are crossed for all involved in this search!

This trail is that long right ? Under 15 miles if I recall. I'm shocked they have not been spotted yet.
How many ppl go missing on this trail ? How many ppl have passed ?

I don't post often but this area is close to me. First it's bothering me that she had jeans on. Who hikes in jeans?

Next, on the All Trails app/website there is a comment from some one who hiked tried hiking the Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak trail yesterday but had to turn back at the Cucamonga Saddle due to hard ice covering parts of the switchbacks.

A comment from last week states there was no trial at all and you must have an ice axe and crampons (had to look that one up...A crampon is a traction device that is attached to footwear to improve mobility on snow and ice during ice climbing). This hiker stated it's very slippy once the ice starts melting.

Hoping these 2 are ok.

I was thinking in the same direction...he should have made sure she was appropriately attired, since he is an experienced hiker.

So did find items, and getting in the 30's at night. Makes you not feel so hopeful when a hiker who goes there weekly says it's a safe trail so they must be hurt :(
I listened to the whole video - the hiker that hikes it each week that was interviewed said the trail was "dangerous and icy". That's not good news.

I listened to the whole video - the hiker that hikes it each week that was interviewed said the trail was "dangerous and icy". That's not good news.
Yeah heard that. :( Really hope they are located today.

My family lives in northern Minnesota close to many state parks and we always wear jeans for hiking- harder for ticks, thorns and mosquitos to get through...
I’m really hoping they have means of getting water and staying warm.. my fingers are crossed for all involved in this search!

Jeans are a terrible choice for anywhere that is wet , icy, or snowy.

Jeans are largely made of cotton and absorb water very easily, but do not dry quickly. So once they are wet, they stay wet and contribute badly to hypothermia, and the wet seams can cause bad chafing. Evun under a rain or snow pant they abosorb perspiration and stay wet and cold.

Thats’ why the comments about her wearing jeans are of concern. If he knew well enought there was enough snow to buy crampons, he should have assured she’d be wearing waterproof clothing that would not hold water like jeans do. Layers is the way to go.

Flare guns have cartridges, so it depends how many cartridges you are carrying. Going out this Saturday to look for them... assuming they are lost and nothing worse. Someone mentioned that Eric had watched the movie 172 Hours, so I'll have to watch it again to see if that leads to any ideas that the two might be following. If I may offer some advise, if you ever get lost hiking follow the flow of water, the water flows downstream and it will eventually lead you out of the mountains.

The cartridge in a flare gun can only be used once (like a shotgun shell) and all of this adds extra weight. The fire safety issue is, indeed, a prohibition on using flares or flare guns

The best option is to have a satellite tracking system like a SPOT. It reports your position and it’s easy to see if someone has stopped. A co-worker of mine used it on a trip to South America and we had great fun following his tracks all over the place. We knew exactly where he had stayed every night

The people that died that yr was due to their own ill-advised choices. The trail was in no condition to hike, there was so much ice, sleet and snow... I believe a couple of them passed away at the section known as the devils backbone. It it a steep mountainside towards the end of the route, it has portions that have steep drop offs on both sides of you at the same time. You're pretty much hiking on a narrow path on the top of the mountain... with a decent uphill grade. Conditions at the time were by far the worst I have ever seen, most people would turn around almost immediately upon starting. There were a few avalanches that yr as well.

From what I've read it says the guy is an experienced hiker, but he (nor her) had never hiked Mt. Baldy. This to me means that he hadn't done much hiking in the area, as Mt. Baldy is one of the most popular hikes around for hiking enthusiast. Jeans is another area of concern, if he knew to get crampons he would have known that jeans were not appropriate for the conditions they were setting out for. Hoping for the best, but them not being found and/or having found their way out by now is a bit concerning... If they are not injured, this would mean they'd have to be doing nearly circles, and/or have gotten stuck somewhere on the mountain side unable to safely maneuver up and or down.

Last edited:
In addition to the very real fire hazard in the summer / autumn (one mega fire in San Diego County was started by a lost hunter who fired a flare gun), flare guns can be bulky and cumbersome.

A survival tool that I give my children when we go hiking is a commercial grade coach's whistle and instruction to blow it series of three. The whistles carry far further than a human voice- just don't let the whistles repeatedly test the whistles in the car.

Last edited:
In addition to the very real fire hazard in the summer / autumn (one mega fire in San Diego County was started by a lost hunter who fired a flare gun), flare guns can be bulky and cumbersome.

A survival tool that I give my children when we go hiking is a commercial grade coach's whistle and instruction to blow it series of three. The whistles carry far further than a human voice- just don't let the whistles repeatedly test the whistles in the car.

YES, - the whistle is called the FOX 40 whistle. You can find them fairly cheaply on Amazon

Did we learn earlier that the initial report that Gabrielle was wearing jeans was incorrect? I thought later reports said she was appropriately attired with a pack.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morgy1
Back