Found Deceased CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Joshua Tree national Park Joshua Tree National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Very odd for someone who isn't an avid camper to go there. Maybe she hiked there but stayed at a local hotel?
The broken dashboard makes me think they were looking for something or just stupid vandalism which brings be back to why move the car? IMO

Twentynine palms Welcome to Twentynine Palms

Anyone here good at making a map?
Here's the location of the car.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

The broken dashboard makes me think they were looking for something or just stupid vandalism which brings be back to why move the car? IMO
Respectfully snipped for commentary focus and response.

When I think of car vandalism, I often think of the seats being torn with a knife, and the outside being scratched or keyed. I wonder if there was any evidence that the vandals knew the victim; derogative slurs scratched in to the paint, etc.

IWT that LE could determine what type of implements were used to vandalize the car. If it were a tire iron, that would possibly suggest it was an act of opportunity. If there were other implements used it *might* suggest pre-planning or stalking. Some people do carry a tire iron or bat in their car (or more), but I think that's more of the minority of car drivers? I guess that all depends on your lifestyle, risk factors, and where you live. Still hoping, against the odds this gal appears completely oblivious to the distress of trying to find her. As the days go by, the odds of this happy outcome diminish. Holding out hope regardless....

Amateur opinion and speculation

I don't know. Remoteness? Star gazing? Or maybe she was never there. Just because her car was found there...is there any evidence that she herself was in that area or headed that way...or left the car there? I know that would mean her car was moved twice. JMO
Very good points. I am wondering if her parents last heard from her via phone call or text. Anyone can send a text and if it was by phone (voice) did she sound scared, afraid? Something is very off here. IMO

In one of the news videos, (Log into Facebook | Facebook)
when the friend says that Erika was under stress and wanted to go clear her head, Erika seemingly was going to go to Big Sur with her son, per friend.
Since she went alone (it appears), could she have actually gone to Big Sur, and something happened there? Car was stolen and driven south?
Or she did go to JTNP.
Needs to be determined whether she had camping gear, and if it was absent from, or in the car. (IF she was planning to camp)
Deactivating her FB account just before she left could be a bit concerning.

Last edited:
This article says communication stopped Sunday, the 14th.

And this one says Monday the 15th:
MISSING WOMAN’S CAR FOUND EAST OF TWENTYNINE PALMS

This article says the 14th.

Added by Detective Alan Penington on June 20, 2020

"Lloyd was not reported as missing by her family until Wednesday, June 17, 2020. She was last seen in person on Sunday, June 14, 2020, in the City of Walnut Creek, California. She was believed to be traveling to the Joshua Tree Nation Park to camp. It is unclear if she was camping by herself or with a group. As of Friday, June 19, 2020, Lloyd has not been seen or heard from."

"Lloyd’s vehicle was not associated with the missing person report and was towed for blocking the roadway

I deleted what I wrote about the campground, Indian Cove. I just remembered that she told her friends she wanted to go to Big Sur, but her car was found at Indian Cove first, then the highway. Big Sur was mentioned as a destination, but no one knows if she was definitely going there.

Help locate missing person Erika Ashley Lloyd from Walnut Creek - Cactusthorns

Last edited:
[
In one of the news videos, (Log into Facebook | Facebook)
when the friend says that Erika was under stress and wanted to go clear her head, Erika seemingly was going to go to Big Sur with her son, per friend.
Since she went alone (it appears), could she have actually gone to Big Sur, and something happened there? Car was stolen and driven south?
Or she did go to JTNP.
Needs to be determined whether she had camping gear, and if it was absent from, or in the car. (IF she was planning to camp)
Deactivating her FB account just before she left could be a bit concerning.

Yes, her co-worker and friend said she deleted her FB and has been unreachable on social media, or over the phone.

How long have campgrounds been open in Cali ? Are reservations required at JT Nat Park ? Anyone know where her son is if they left together ! Big Sure seems a lot more people friendly if dry camping out of a car , believe they have restroom facilities with running water but it's been many years since I have been there. Very worriesom. Prayers for their safety and for parents that have come to search MOO TIA

How long have campgrounds been open in Cali ? Are reservations required at JT Nat Park ? Anyone know where her son is if they left together ! Big Sure seems a lot more people friendly if dry camping out of a car , believe they have restroom facilities with running water but it's been many years since I have been there. Very worriesom. Prayers for their safety and for parents that have come to search MOO TIA
Campgrounds just opened last week, but reservations are impossible. We booked a year out at a state campground and our reservations were cancelled last week. Someone who knows her says her son is with his Dad.

520 miles from home, so I'd guess there were stops, purchases, traffic and business cams.

Info about the contents of the car, any campsite, lots left out.
Yes I thought about cameras...on the road, gas stations etc. Is there a camera when you enter the gates in JTNP?
We don't even know if she was even there.
Something may have happened closer to home, or maybe she indeed did go to Big Sur, or anywhere else to take her break.
No telling what roads were driven, if she was not driving all the way to JTNP herself.
I hope LE has some info or tips.

It's in the upper 90's in Joshua Tree this week. Is it common for locals to go camping in the desert when it's that hot?
I would think not?

I keep thinking about the draw of the true legend of the "cremation" of Gram Parsons at Joshua Tree. Quite a story. It seems JTNP has some creepy allure for more than a few people with suicides and dumped bodies. I wonder if the subject of this thread found this macabre aspect of JTNP some sort of a pull.
If she was prone to depression or despondency this should strongly be considered IMO. I certainly hope this is not the case.

People Keep Finding Bodies in Joshua Tree

Amateur opinion and speculation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cattdee