GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All Marine corps bases still issue DOD decals. I noticed the car was a 2013 so it's possible of the car was brand new she wouldn't have decals yet. You are required to have proof of permanent registration to get your decals. In the interim you're issued a paper pass for roughly sixty days from purchase. The paper pass doesn't have to be showing though unless you're on base. So it's hard to say but if we are generalizing yes she would likely have decals and they would be visible from a short distance.

The gates have cameras.

The side gate runs along a housing area so it's possible someone could jump a fence into the housing area and be undetected, especially if there was no one by the gate.

You can't get on the combat center with just an id. If you don't have decals you are required to go into the pass house and get a pass and have sponsorship. 29 Palms runs a pretty tight installation, they aren't like some bases where just anyone can drive on.

All Marine corps bases still issue DOD decals. I noticed the car was a 2013 so it's possible of the car was brand new she wouldn't have decals yet. You are required to have proof of permanent registration to get your decals. In the interim you're issued a paper pass for roughly sixty days from purchase. The paper pass doesn't have to be showing though unless you're on base. So it's hard to say but if we are generalizing yes she would likely have decals and they would be visible from a short distance.

The gates have cameras.

The side gate runs along a housing area so it's possible someone could jump a fence into the housing area and be undetected, especially if there was no one by the gate.

Don't forget, cars come out the year before the model year. A 2013 Corolla came out in mid 2012. So, it can be almost 2 years old at this point. (http://www.edmunds.com/model-year-changes/2013/)

I thought that was why they got rid of decals because without checking ID anyone could be waved on if they were driving a car with one on. Now every car is Military ID checked (Air Force bases anyways). Anyways it was just a thought as to why they were still searching the park area though the car wasn't found there. Just throwing out ideas.

Yes, but what I'm saying is if she bought it upon her arrival or soon after it would still be a new car to her. It doesn't matter whether the car is a 77 or 07 when you first buy it you still can't get decals til you have proof of permanent ownership. Sorry, I should have worded that better.

Yes, but what I'm saying is if she bought it upon her arrival or soon after it would still be a new car to her. It doesn't matter whether the car is a 77 or 07 when you first buy it you still can't get decals til you have proof of permanent ownership. Sorry, I should have worded that better.

Ah. Gotcha. Sorry, my car enthusiast side is showing, isn't it?

I thought that was why they got rid of decals because without checking ID anyone could be waved on if they were driving a car with one on. Now every car is Military ID checked (Air Force bases anyways). Anyways it was just a thought as to why they were still searching the park area though the car wasn't found there. Just throwing out ideas.

The Army and Air Force did for that reason. The Marine Corps has a current order and they still issue. You can't just drive on you are still required to take your drivers license in to the pass house. You must have current insurance and ownership documents, you also have to have a sponsor to get on base. At that point the pass house runs your id for a background check to make sure there's nothing negative on you. Then you get your pass. So no one is just driving on without a purpose and must be vetted. The policy at 29 Palms is a bit different then other MC bases.

I thought Marine bases have always seemed more secure - just more in tune with what's going on. A few years back I was working for a contractor and visited Okinawa. I stayed on the AFB on orders (at Marine Corps invitation), but when going to the Marine base it was a totally different process for getting on base. Much more open at the AFB.

The Army and Air Force did for that reason. The Marine Corps has a current order and they still issue. You can't just drive on you are still required to take your drivers license in to the pass house. You must have current insurance and ownership documents, you also have to have a sponsor to get on base. At that point the pass house runs your id for a background check to make sure there's nothing negative on you. Then you get your pass. So no one is just driving on without a purpose and must be vetted. The policy at 29 Palms is a bit different then other MC bases.

I just wanted to add something about the park ranger. Unfortunately, there always isn't one. There a few parks that my husband and I go to and we put money into a box, and then drive in. Bc our lovely state says they have no money to pay people to collect money at all our parks. Not sure about JT, though. IMO and thinking out loud.

I'm very confused here. In this CNN video, at 1:47 it says that Erin's Mom learned, on the day her daughter went missing, that Erin was pregnant. HUH? Why would a married daughter who's 7 months pregnant, who reportedly has a very close relationship with her Mom.......a Mom who's coming to visit soon........keep from her that she's pregnant?

That is super, super odd. ?

I've seen others say she miscarried, and that's true. With the first pregnancy she announced it very early on facebook, and set up a gift registry. At that point she miscarried and is now pregnant again. i'm with you, I do find it very . . . odd that she didn't at least tell her mother. At this point she would have likely seen the heartbeat and have US pictures to share. Considering how close she is to her mother I just think that's one odd thing I can't understand.

After having the decal do they check IDs as well when entering the base?

even with a decal, you still need to show your military ID

I've seen others say she miscarried, and that's true. With the first pregnancy she announced it very early on facebook, and set up a gift registry. At that point she miscarried and is now pregnant again. i'm with you, I do find it very . . . odd that she didn't at least tell her mother. At this point she would have likely seen the heartbeat and have US pictures to share. Considering how close she is to her mother I just think that's one odd thing I can't understand.

I can answer this one. She's just at 3 months, the time when most pregnant women announce (especially those who have lost a pregnancy because it's past most of the danger point) Her mom was coming out in a few days and she intended to tell her mom when she arrived. I totally get that, if mom's arriving in a week or two, why not wait to tell her in person so you can squeal and hug and bounce together.

I can answer this one. She's just at 3 months, the time when most pregnant women announce (especially those who have lost a pregnancy because it's past most of the danger point) Her mom was coming out in a few days and she intended to tell her mom when she arrived. I totally get that, if mom's arriving in a week or two, why not wait to tell her in person so you can squeal and hug and bounce together.

I posted something very similar to this way early in the thread, and I've re-thought it since. If she had just found out, i'd agree that's the way to go. The word is, she's 3 months pregnant. It doesn't seem likely she had planned this visit that far in advance - she's likely known for 2 months. I can see if you find out you're pregnant and your mom is coming next week. This is a long time to sit on that secret, especially considering it appears she talked to her mom all the time and at great length.

I understand the waiting to tell acquaintances. At this point, she'd be starting to show and people around her would begin to guess. I just can't see holding out that long. I really just struggle with that although at first it seemed like what you are saying.

I do agree that women who have miscarried often delay announcing - but not to their moms. It used to be that it was more acceptable to announce at 3 months but honestly I can't believe what people do now - even photographing their urine stick and posting the ap that shows when they were ovulating on facebook.

*still ruminating*

Yeah, I don't find it weird at all that she hadn't told her mom yet...especially given that she miscarried before. When you tell your family, and then you miscarry you don't only deal with your own grief, but everyone grieves. So when you are expecting again it is common not to want to get your own hopes up..and you certainly don't want to get your loved ones hopes up. She probably did not want to cause her mom any more pain in the event she miscarried again.

You know, now that I think about it, if her husband was the only person who knew she was pregnant, the fact that this information came out as soon as it did makes me side even more with her husband being innocent. Why would he make her seem more sympathetic if he had done something to her? Why would he make it even more scary and likely to be picked up by the media? Especially if she's 2-3 months and he could claim he didn't know yet. (Yes, I know people who have waited that long to tell their husbands, especially after miscarriages.)

You know, now that I think about it, if her husband was the only person who knew she was pregnant, the fact that this information came out as soon as it did makes me side even more with her husband being innocent. Why would he make her seem more sympathetic if he had done something to her? Why would he make it even more scary and likely to be picked up by the media? Especially if she's 2-3 months and he could claim he didn't know yet. (Yes, I know people who have waited that long to tell their husbands, especially after miscarriages.)

Just guessing, but I would guess she's been to the doctor already (maybe even with him) and it's undeniable that he knew she was pregnant - and that information was a search warrant away. I don't suspect him, though, so this is all just musing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKT