GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I agree with this. If you edit out IM's comments from the probable cause statements, we see:

1. A wife that would be unhappy about her husband getting someone else pregnant--according to CL, as told by EC's friend. This could have been a lie by CL as a reason he was giving to EC for why he wouldn't leave his wife. OR, if it was true--this doesn't fit with a wife who was so jealous that she would stay with CL if only he killed his lover. Instead, it says that the wife would be pissed as hell and perfectly prepared to divorce him--not kill someone for him.

2. A wife that led LE to the murder weapon, for unclear reasons. Why didn't she just say "huh, I don't know where it is..."?

3. A wife that ran up to her husband after he put a duffle bag inside the house. We have NO idea what she said at that time, and to me this serves only as a sign that she wanted to keep her husband out of jail (not an indication of her guilt other than after the fact).

So...whether it was deserved or not, in my opinion IM WAS the one who cast suspicion on NL. I think the fact that she then changed her story to the media is HUGELY important in this case. At some point, IM lied. Which time? Why? And why did she never, ever appear to be sad about EC?

I don't think CL and NL needed any help from IM; from the way the Statement of Probable Cause reads, they brought enough suspicion on themselves.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1225468-1765-001.html

I agree. Or, if it was, it had been a long time coming in CL's mind. He also may have preyed on EC knowing that she had just miscarried; since NL had been through one already he would have known EXACTLY what EC "needed." Sad :(

This was not CL's one and only affair. And if Nichole believes that it was, than she is just as ignorant as her husband. MOO~
I know men like CL... my ex husband could convince me it was raining if I was laying out in the sun!

They are manipulators, pathological liars, charmers
They say things to make you feel special, and they prey on the most vulnerable (to feed their ego)

They say things like:
"I love you"
"I wish I could have met you first"
"You are the love of my life."
"you are my soul mate"
"I have never known anyone like you."
"We are perfect together"
"I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Erin believed everything this much older man was telling her.
Of course, he NEVER meant any of it. He was just manipulating her. He used her vulnerability for his own selfish wants and needs.

Erin was very young and naïve. She had only dated one man in her life. I'm sure she was very lonely, and she had no family around. CL was a older man, and he made sure to welcome and console her probably from the first day she moved in.

Everyone is capable of an affair. Whether you'll admit it or not, given the right circumstances or "the perfect storm."

I'm not sure I agree with this. If you edit out IM's comments from the probable cause statements, we see:

1. A wife that would be unhappy about her husband getting someone else pregnant--according to CL, as told by EC's friend. This could have been a lie by CL as a reason he was giving to EC for why he wouldn't leave his wife. OR, if it was true--this doesn't fit with a wife who was so jealous that she would stay with CL if only he killed his lover. Instead, it says that the wife would be pissed as hell and perfectly prepared to divorce him--not kill someone for him.

2. A wife that led LE to the murder weapon, for unclear reasons. Why didn't she just say "huh, I don't know where it is..."?

3. A wife that ran up to her husband after he put a duffle bag inside the house. We have NO idea what she said at that time, and to me this serves only as a sign that she wanted to keep her husband out of jail (not an indication of her guilt other than after the fact).

So...whether it was deserved or not, in my opinion IM WAS the one who cast suspicion on NL. I think the fact that she then changed her story to the media is HUGELY important in this case. At some point, IM lied. Which time? Why? And why did she never, ever appear to be sad about EC?

I see your point. And perhaps agree a little. Still, LE found it suspicious enough to get a search warrant then and there. So I think they did put some suspicion on themselves. MOO

I can't see any way for him to plead out entirely.
As for pleading guilty--how often does that actually happen in cases like this? Certainly he wouldn't accept a death penalty without a fight, right?

It all depends on the evidence and what CL is wiling to put his family through. He could always change his plea. The attorney fees are going to be astronomical unless CL and family are found indigent, and then they have to hope that his current attorney will be forced to defend the case pro bono by order of the Judge in the case.
And there's always the issue of possible "other" arrests. CL pleads out and incriminates other parties while doing so.

I am not sure yet if it is important that NL told the police where the 22 was and for a couple of reasons:

1) We don't know if the 22 was used in the murder. We have been assuming that.

2) Better to appear helpful- they already knew about the 22. No point in playing dumb now. The spotlight was already on everyone. It would have been impossible to get rid of the gun at that point. The 45 is missing as far as we know, unless it was recovered in the mine. If the 22 was used why not put it with the 45?

I hope I am not missing a key point- I had to read everything about this case in a short period to try and get up to speed with you guys here

I personally don't think NL had anything to do with before during or after what has happened.
This has been compared to the Heather Elvis case, I do not see Tammi Moorer in NL at all.
I think her husband lied to her before during after everything that was going on.

Try "Diane Zamora". That's the case I've related it to since the "alleged" recent affair came out. I don't think for a second that NL is as pure as the driven snow.

Hmm, reminiscent of Adrianne Jones' murder.. "The Texas Cadet Murder" http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/young/zamora/3.html

Try "Diane Zamora". That's the case I've related it to since the "alleged" recent affair came out. I don't think for a second that NL is as pure as the driven snow.

I just read about that case. The couple tried to break the girl's neck, she almost escaped but the guy chased her down and shot her? How terrible! They turned on each other during the trial. Not surprising.

I really hope that Erin did not die a long, painful death. More details cannot come fast enough.

I can't see any way for him to plead out entirely.
As for pleading guilty--how often does that actually happen in cases like this? Certainly he wouldn't accept a death penalty without a fight, right?

There's the current issue of a Federal Judge, once again, declaring the "death penalty" unconstitutional in California. (July 2014 http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/16/justice/california-death-penalty/ )

It could come down to "death" vs "LWOP". The 9th circuit may have an effect on what the ultimate sentences will be in this case, if it is appealed.
It'll come down to whether his attorney will stick with him, what CL is willing to put his family through, and his chances of actually beating some of the charges.

I am not sure yet if it is important that NL told the police where the 22 was and for a couple of reasons:

2) Better to appear helpful- they already knew about the 22. No point in playing dumb now. The spotlight was already on everyone. It would have been impossible to get rid of the gun at that point. The 45 is missing as far as we know, unless it was recovered in the mine. If the 22 was used why not put it with the 45?

I hope I am not missing a key point- I had to read everything about this case in a short period to try and get up to speed with you guys here

And don't all legally possessed firearms in California have to have registration on file? LE probably knew exactly what weapons CL and NL had possession of. When you have a child, and possess firearms, you better know where those firearms are....or you're just extremely negligent.

There's the current issue of a Federal Judge, once again, declaring the "death penalty" unconstitutional in California. (July 2014 http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/16/justice/california-death-penalty/ )

It could come down to "death" vs "LWOP". The 9th circuit may have an effect on what the ultimate sentences will be in this case, if it is appealed.
It'll come down to whether his attorney will stick with him, what CL is willing to put his family through, and his chances of actually beating some of the charges.

IMO I think the death penalty in CA is already kind of a joke. I'd rather see him get LWOP (as long as LWOP really means what it's supposed to).

IMO I think the death penalty in CA is already kind of a joke. I'd rather see him get LWOP (as long as LWOP really means what it's supposed to).

Agreed!!!!

And don't all legally possessed firearms in California have to have registration on file? LE probably knew exactly what weapons CL and NL had possession of. When you have a child, and possess firearms, you better know where those firearms are....or you're just extremely negligent.

And furthermore, when you have a personal weapon on a military base, you are required to register it there as well. The military wants to know who has what type of weapon..

GRRR Every time I try and hit the thank you button, I get a yellow triangle with a exclamation mark that says something about a message from the webpage at the top. I can ONLY thank someone IF I refresh the page ~ but that gets old real fast!

Is anyone else having this problem???

GRRR Every time I try and hit the thank you button, I get a yellow triangle with a exclamation mark that says something about a message from the webpage at the top. I can ONLY thank someone IF I refresh the page ~ but that gets old real fast!

Yes. All the time.

Thanks for the reply. FYI--your font choice is really hard to read. Perhaps it would be better to just bold regular font.

We know that spent .22 bullets were found both at the crime scene and in CL's jeep. That makes it pretty important, even if it wasn't used for the actual murder.

I agree that the .22 would have been registered, and LE would have known that. But NL telling LE that CL removed it from his Jeep and took it to the ranch, then going with LE to find it in a particular closet in "the ranch" where the gun was stored--that seems odd to me.

Why was she so specific? At the very least, why would she not have just said "oh, it must be at the ranch where we are moving our stuff..."? Why specifically tell them CL moved it from the Jeep to the ranch?

But then why didn't she tell them right away where it was? Or why didn't she simply say, when pressed, it was at the ranch? Why did she specify that CL removed it from the Jeep and put it in the ranch?

My uncles murderer was charged with 1st degree murder. He pleaded guilty. He originally got LWOP because of the type of weapon he used (sawed off shot gun). At his reconsideration hearing it was lessened to Life with chance of Parole to give him hope. We were shocked. We had no idea this was even a possibility. The law is difficult to follow.

Try hitting the Remember Me box when logging in. It sounds like you're timing out.

Are .22 and .40 bullets the same?

Not seeing any .22 bullets mentioned in the Statement of Probable Cause

On 070314, Lee's Jeep Cherokee was processed for evidence by the Sheriff" Scientifc Investigations Division
(SID). The vehicle was towed to SID for processing during the service of the search warrant at Lee's residence
on 070114. SID located ten (10) .40 caliber fired cartridge casings in the vehicle. No .40 caliber firrearm was
located during any of the previous searches.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1225468-1765-001.html page 11

also see page 8 NL told LE gun was in the closet

On 070114.. Homicide Detectives Spoke to Lee and his wife Nicole. Nicole was asked about firearms owned by
Lee. Nicole told detectives the firearms were kept inside their home in a closet. Nicole described one of the
firearms as a .22 caliber rifle.

After the search warrant. Nicole was interviewed again about the whereabouts of the .22 caliber rifle she said
was in her residence. During this interview she told detectives Lee took the rifle from his Jeep Cherokee and
took it to the ranch?.

The ranch was determined to be located at 733 Geronimo Trail in Yucca Valley.
Detectives wot a accompanied by Nicole to this location. Nicole spoke with. Isabella Megli, (Megli is the owner
of 733 Geronimo Trail and 788 Geronimo Trail) about being there to get a rifle. .lsabella then consented for
detectives to enter and retrieve the rifle from a closet in the back of the residence.

Thanks for the reply. FYI--your font choice is really hard to read. Perhaps it would be better to just bold regular font.

We know that spent .22 bullets were found both at the crime scene and in CL's jeep. That makes it pretty important, even if it wasn't used for the actual murder.

I agree that the .22 would have been registered, and LE would have known that. But NL telling LE that CL removed it from his Jeep and took it to the ranch, then going with LE to find it in a particular closet in "the ranch" where the gun was stored--that seems odd to me.

Why was she so specific? At the very least, why would she not have just said "oh, it must be at the ranch where we are moving our stuff..."? Why specifically tell them CL moved it from the Jeep to the ranch?

Because...................wait for it..........................

No Body, No Crime!

:winner:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads