GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this on Twitter

Denise Goolsby ‏@denisegoolsby 6m

RT @TDSColinAtagi: #Erincorwin homicide suspect Chris Lee in court today. Keep an eye out for updates once he appears. @MyDesert

ETA: Oops, sorry WorryWart. Didn't see your post.

TDSColinAtagi‏@TDSColinAtagi·19 secs
Court official says appearance for #erincorwin homicide suspect Chris Lee to be rescheduled to Oct 29. @MyDesert

TDSColinAtagi ‏@TDSColinAtagi 1m
Court official says appearance for #erincorwin homicide suspect Chris Lee to be rescheduled to Oct 29. @MyDesert

TDSColinAtagi‏@TDSColinAtagi·19 secs

Thank you Worry Wart! And that is still weird, because it's not the date shown on the open access thingy. Maybe they'll update that soon, too.

[...]

This, combined with the tweet that worrywart just posted, leads me to think that CL's attorneys are trying to buy time :(

<snipped for focus>

As to the buying time thing: that's more time he gets to spend behind bars. So I'm hoping it's a good sign. Maybe he needs more time to come-up with a believable defense?

TDSColinAtagi &#8207;@TDSColinAtagi 7m
Family of #erincorwin homicide suspect Chris Lee at hearing, declined to comment to media @MyDesert

TDSColinAtagi&#8207;@TDSColinAtagi·1 min
Hearing for #erincorwin homicide suspect Chris Lee delayed so defense could review 1,494 pages of evidence @MyDesert

http://www.z1077fm.com/accused-murderer-christopher-lee-in-court-today/

ACCUSED MURDERER CHRISTOPHER LEE IN COURT TODAY
By Z107.7 News, on September 16th, 2014
Christopher Lee made his second appearance in court today on charges that he murdered his next door neighbor and alleged lover, Erin Corwin of Twentynine Palms, in June. His lawyer asked the court for a continuance of the case, since he had just that morning received a partial delivery of discovery materials and evidence. The materials received so far filled a case of copy paper plus about an additional 12 inches of stacked paper. Lee&#8217;s next appearance in court is scheduled to be October 29. Lee&#8217;s family from Alaska was in attendance and refused to speak to the media.

Still don't have solid info on Erin's horse situation........

1. Horse couldn't be brought onto base stable because of "shots".
^THIS^ I find pretty ridiculous. If IM's "rescue" is really a "rescue", all the horses should be UTD on their shots. The only thing I can see that wouldn't be part of that would be a "Coggin's Test", which is no biggie, just get the vet out and the results are valid for 30 days. Maybe the base requires a "Health Certificate", again, get the vet out, but I don't see why it would be necessary because the horse was not coming from "out-of-state".

2. Giving the horse up due to pregnancy:
Horse peeps are horse peeps.......you don't find many women who give up their horse because they're pregnant. Miscarriages happen, and if you eliminate everything that "might" cause one, you're stuck in bed for 9 months. If anything, giving up your horse is going to stress you out.

3. Relinquishing:
Where's the paperwork? For that matter, where's the adoption paper work? WRR is a "non profit", so IM better have a paper trail on this horse.

Erin just might have wanted to keep the horse at the rescue so she had an opportunity to see CL. The base stable was closing but that issue was never reported as problem, it was the "shots".

I don't know how much Erin's horse has to do with this case, unless it's to help discredit everything that comes out of IM's mouth.

Ah, no. Apparently this just means CL is waiving his right to have a trial within 60 days.
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/1382.html

This, combined with the tweet that worrywart just posted, leads me to think that CL's attorneys are trying to buy time :(

I'm no attorney but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

If I were a betting woman, I would say that the attorney has seen the evidence and is pretty sure they are screwed, and needs more time to see if there is anything he can do with it.

I'm no attorney but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

If I were a betting woman, I would say that the attorney has seen the evidence and is pretty sure they are screwed, and needs more time to see if there is anything he can do with it.

BBM

LOL.....But have you ever played one on TV?
Thanks for the chuckle MM....I needed one today !

Case FMB1400414 Defendant 4218318 LEE , CHRISTOPHER BRANDON

Action: PRE-PRELIMINARY CONFERENCE Date: 09/16/2014 Time: 8:32 AM
Division: M2 Hearing Status: DISPOSED

RODNEY A CORTEZ, J-JUDGE
CLERK: DEBORAH HAGEDORN
CERTIFIED COURT REPORTER: CO-CONNIE OZBURN CSR# CO-10031
BAILIFF T BROWN
-
APPEARANCES
DEPUTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY SEAN DAUGHERTY PRESENT.
ATTORNEY DAVID J.P. KALOYANIDES PRESENT.
DEFENDANT PRESENT IN CUSTODY.
-
PROCEEDINGS
ACTION CAME ON FOR PRE-PRELIMINARY HEARING
OFF THE RECORD, COURT AND COUNSEL CONFER IN CHAMBERS
DEFENSE ORAL MOTION TO CONTINUE IS GRANTED.
PROSECUTION HAS PROVIDED 1494 PAGES OF DISCOVERY
TO DEFENSE ON THIS DATE.
-
HEARINGS
DEFENDANT ORDERED TO APPEAR ON HEARING DATE.
-
TIME WAIVERS
DEFENDANT WAIVES HIS/HER RIGHT TO A PRELIMINARY HEARING WITHIN 10 DAYS UNDER PC859B AND 60 DAYS BEYOND 10/29/2014.
-
CUSTODY STATUS
CASE CUSTODY - IN CUSTODY
COMMITMENT ISSUED (PENDING)
============= MINUTE ORDER END ================

Still don't have solid info on Erin's horse situation........

1. Horse couldn't be brought onto base stable because of "shots".
^THIS^ I find pretty ridiculous. If IM's "rescue" is really a "rescue", all the horses should be UTD on their shots. The only thing I can see that wouldn't be part of that would be a "Coggin's Test", which is no biggie, just get the vet out and the results are valid for 30 days. Maybe the base requires a "Health Certificate", again, get the vet out, but I don't see why it would be necessary because the horse was not coming from "out-of-state".

2. Giving the horse up due to pregnancy:
Horse peeps are horse peeps.......you don't find many women who give up their horse because they're pregnant. Miscarriages happen, and if you eliminate everything that "might" cause one, you're stuck in bed for 9 months. If anything, giving up your horse is going to stress you out.

3. Relinquishing:
Where's the paperwork? For that matter, where's the adoption paper work? WRR is a "non profit", so IM better have a paper trail on this horse.
Erin just might have wanted to keep the horse at the rescue so she had an opportunity to see CL. The base stable was closing but that issue was never reported as problem, it was the "shots".
I don't know how much Erin's horse has to do with this case, unless it's to help discredit everything that comes out of IM's mouth.

BBM It's possible that you're right and the horse was an excuse to be at the ranch except IM said they came at different times. Of course, don't think what IM said has me ruling that out <wink>.

Without IM and her contradictory statements, I would have assumed Erin knew the base stable was closing and didn't see any point in even moving Cassie over to the base and then having to move her back again. Or maybe she changed her mind about the horse and used the shots as a weak excuse not to continue sponsoring the horse.

I also thought perhaps she and JC agreed she would give up the horse for financial reasons since she was pregnant. If they were planning on going home to Tennessee soon, it would have cost a LOT to ship the horse back to Tennessee. It seems a little crazy for a young couple expecting a baby to do that when there are horses in Tennessee she could have picked from after the baby came.

I am a horse nut, and love all 7 of ours like crazy. My husband is the same. And I pretty much get my way about everything (yes I'm very lucky and spoiled). But even he would balk at paying through the nose to transport a horse I'd only known a few months across the country. Especially when there are plenty of horses in Tennessee being sold for bottom dollar prices. And, having worked at TSC, Erin would probably know from her customers that the horse market is down in Tennessee. I hear plenty of stories about people giving horses away so they don't have to feed them any more. If I brought my horse to CA with me, hubs would gladly get it shipped home again, but I don't think he would appreciate me adopting a horse in CA and dragging it home. Especially with a baby on the way.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will get the actual story on the horse. And trying to make logical sense out of IM's various explanations will only give me a headache LOL.

Case FMB1400414 Defendant 4218318 LEE , CHRISTOPHER BRANDON - Actions/Minutes

Action Date Action Text Disposition Hearing Type
10/29/2014 8:30 AM DEPT. M2 EARLY DISPOSITION HEARING ACTIVE TRC
09/16/2014 8:32 AM DEPT. M2 PRE-PRELIMINARY CONFERENCE DISPOSED TRC
The October 29 hearing is now set for an "early disposition" conference. What does that mean? Could it be they are going to settle before the prelim? I notice on the minutes above there was a secret meeting in chambers of the judge.

In the case of a felony, many courts offer an early disposition conference or early settlement conference before the case is set for a preliminary examination. This is often a good chance to talk to a judge or a district attorney about an early and favorable settlement of the case.

http://m.4criminaldefense.com/Criminal-Process.aspx

Could be routine

Case FMB1400414 Defendant 4218318 LEE , CHRISTOPHER BRANDON - Actions/Minutes

Action Date Action Text Disposition Hearing Type
10/29/2014 8:30 AM DEPT. M2 EARLY DISPOSITION HEARING ACTIVE TRC
09/16/2014 8:32 AM DEPT. M2 PRE-PRELIMINARY CONFERENCE DISPOSED TRC
The October 29 hearing is now set for an "early disposition" conference. What does that mean? Could it be they are going to settle before the prelim? I notice on the minutes above there was a secret meeting in chambers of the judge.

I googled the meaning of an "early disposition hearing" and this is one of the first things that popped up:

Pre-trial Conference

In the case of misdemeanors, after a defendant pleads not guilty his case is often set for a pre-trial conference. This is an opportunity for the defense attorney to discuss the case and possible settlement with the prosecutor and/or the judge prior to setting the case for trial. In the case of a felony, many courts offer an early disposition conference or early settlement conference before the case is set for a preliminary examination. This is often a good chance to talk to a judge or a district attorney about an early and favorable settlement of the case.

http://www.4criminaldefense.com/Criminal-Process.aspx

It appears as though they may be working on a plea deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper