GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't guarantee a perp will react this way. But it's enough of a problem that LE, Tim Miller and Mark Klaas use them as good examples to not disclose search locations. This scenario has happened to each of them. And it's not just bodies being moved. It's evidence at crime scenes being disturbed. It's all about prosecuting the perp in court.

IMO, there would be no way she'd be found alive, where they are looking, after 14 days.

I agree with a lot of this. I think there should be a quick initial "push" search, using the public. They would not report where they are searching. They would search for a live person, hours after a call for help. That is why information is important, for guidance. TES comes in later (when the person is probably no longer alive) for recovery, which is a "pull" style of searching, using people who receive a little training, who are supervised, and who can go into the wilderness (maybe they sign something?). I know they also do not reveal the search details online. I get that part, and agree.

The problem I have when someone talks about prosecuting and tricking the "perp" using secrets is that the perp knows all of these things. He's the perp. He's often times involved in the search. The logic doesn't make sense.

when you are between 2 and 3 months pregnant there is not much time frame to lie about. this story will prove to be the correct one. just the tip of the iceberg. LE know exactly what happened and where to search.

Above BBM: You seem pretty confident of this. How can you be so sure? Are you privy to information the rest of us aren't? TIA

For some reason, the comment made about the helicopter seems hinky to me. Why would an official involved in a search be that careless?
If investigators were on the ground and had already blocked an area off nearby the car, why would a helicopter be needed that near to the car (to practically land on top of it?). I mean, the ground LE would search the area around the car and don't need any help from dust. Makes no sense.

Maybe it was a news helicopter?

Thanks, Treelights! I just don't remember seeing the car description mentioned in local news back when she first disappeared. Guess I just missed that detail in the articles I read...or I didn't read the right article.

The article mentioned that there was news coverage about the car so therefore they believe because of knowing that info, the water guy called it in.

ETA:
"According to a source who has property nearby where Erin Corwin’s vehicle, a 2013 Toyota Corolla was found stated that a worker from the Twentynine Palms Water District reported the vehicle around approximately 9:30-9:40 A.M. on June 30 and likely saw on the morning news that officials were looking for that specific vehicle. At approximately 10 A.M. the source, who was headed north to drive to his property at the time came to a stop at Valley Vista Rd. and Ranch Rd. upon encountering a police SUV blocking the road."
Read more at http://americanlivewire.com/2014-07-09-police-locate-erin-corwins-missing-vehicle/

How did the water guy know it was Erin's car? I didn't see anything that said he simply reported an "abandoned" car, so if he knew it was Erin's missing car...how did he know???

Media, was described on the missing flyer and reports.

Where are you getting your science here? Because current understanding is completely the opposite of what you've said. The Limbic System is the seat of emotion in the human brain. It has no undue influence from the left or right brain. And genuine smiles are controlled by the limbic system. This article by psychology today can explain further. It also has insight on the character in photography issue that's quite alarming as well. -> http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-science-has-say-about-genuine-vs-fake-smiles

I was a little taken aback by your first few sentences because of the high degree of confidence implied by them (along with the fact that I have the science right) I get my science from 15 years of teaching undergraduate psychology. (Actually from about 30 years of studying psychology too) I read the article and you misunderstood a couple of things about it. First, the writer describes differences in real and fake smiles due to brain damage in different regions. This is not relevant to the discussion here because we aren't talking about people with known damage to their motor cortex or anterior cingulate. People with certain types of brain damage may have symmetrical real smiles but I was referring to real vs. fake smiles in people without known brain damage in these areas, and what I said is generally true, especially for right handed people (the organization of the brain in lefties is more varied).

Finally, I'm confused by your comment that this article says something about judging character by a photograph. The study had nothing to do with that issue; they simply found that people who were truly smiling in photographs tended to have more positive outcomes in marriage and better life satisfaction. No big surprise there -- people who are happier in photographs (more asymmetrical smiles, higher on the left, and more activation of the orbicularis oculi muscles) tend to be happier years later, and have better marriages perhaps. So, there is continuity in life satisfaction. This has been known for a very long time. The author of the article then writes something silly, "So remember, a genuine smile will probably make you happier than you think." Of course, the research doesn't prove that. It merely shows that people whose faces show more genuine happiness are likely to be happier (and perhaps married) later. This problem with interpretation of research by Psychology Today is one of the reasons my students can't use it as a source and must read and cite the original research study.

I was commenting on the dangers of judging a person's character by a photograph and you said this article is relevant to that. It isn't. It's about smiling and life satisfaction.

If anyone is interested in this area -- it is fascinating -- do a literature search at the library (or even in Google) for "real vs. fake smiles symmetrical orbicularis" and you'll get a lot of info. Here is an abstract I came across in two seconds: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16248497

Cheers!

That's a great one, Treelights! One of my daughters has always smiled with her mouth closed, even when she had perfect baby teeth...and even now after we have spent a fortune for braces...so it clearly has nothing to do with the few years she had crooked teeth/braces. Once in a while I would like to get a more candid looking shot, instead of her usual posed look, so I'm going to try this!

I came across a picture of her as a child with her bio brothers and her mouth was closed.

Come back guys! :) I know where you are!

This is probably a really dumb question, but without Erin's husband knowing, could she have found out who the baby's dad is very easily?

Without trying to get too personal here, I think she could know because of timing. For example if she's suddenly pregnant but hasn't been 'intimate' with her husband in a few months, but has with someone else, she'd know.

Someone other than Erin and the supposed BF Marine must have known about the affair. Otherwise, how would they have known to question him?

Another weird little glitch...As other posters discussed yesterday, googling Valle Vista Road 29 palms, takes you to almost the exact spot the car was found. What are the odds of that?

With houses nearby the location where her car was found, why do they assume her car didn't break down and then she walked over to house to ask for help?

Another thing ~ When Jon's sister was asked, on JVM show (I think), if Erin had a cellphone, she began to answer the question while looking up to her right by saying, ya, well (in other words, she hesitated versus giving a straight answer) and then she was interrupted. wth?
Was the sister about to explain the situation with the cellphone or was she going to say she's not allowed to comment on that topic? To ask the question on TV and then cut the person off is just unacceptable imo.

Maybe I'm behind but has the Praying for Erin Corwin Facebook page been taken down? I can't get on it anymore.

Does anyone remember the name of the horse rescue place that she volunteered at?

As we keep going ahead with new information, I've noticed that some of the older information is not syncing up properly. For instance, earlier it was reported that Hubby didn't report her missing until the next day because she was supposed to be staying overnight at a friends. Then another report stated he didn't report her missing because he thought he had to wait 24 hours. Now there's a recording (taken around 8:30 in the morning the day after she left, less than 24hrs later btw) of a San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy saying that Jonathan Corwin reported to him that she had left at 7:00am (0700) the day before and he had expected her back nine hours later at 4:00pm (1600). http://www.cbs8.com/story/25971456/timeline-emerges-in-marine-wifes-mysterious-disappearance

For some reason, the comment made about the helicopter seems hinky to me. Why would an official involved in a search be that careless?
If investigators were on the ground and had already blocked an area off nearby the car, why would a helicopter be needed that near to the car (to practically land on top of it?). I mean, the ground LE would search the area around the car and don't need any help from dust. Makes no sense.

Local News helicopter is my guess they listen to the scanner and go..

IMO, LE knew Erin wasn't alive within days. I'm not saying they want "sole" credit for finding Erin, I have no idea exactly what their motivations are.

LE find deceased victims all the time with no help from the perp. I have an idea after reality sets in, and divorce & military discipline are no longer the primary concern, this guy is going to confess. Hope so anyway.

All this assuming the radio station story is truthful.

What if it's not this *guy* and it's this *girl*? Wife finds out husband is cheating, finds out she is pregnant, uses his phone to text her to meet, (though I guess LE would know of the text), and confronts Erin?

Someone other than Erin and the supposed BF Marine must have known about the affair. Otherwise, how would they have known to question him?

I remember reading that Erin had disclosed this info to someone at a party at one point. This was all considered rumor because it was just a comment by someone under an article.

Maybe it was a news helicopter?

You're right. If that's the case, somebody should have shot it down and I'm only half kidding.
Really, if a news helicopter got close enough to destroy evidence, they should be in deep ***** imo.

I'm thinking wifey could've found out, a la Heather Elvis. While certainly possible that he did it alone, it would take a cold person - borderline sociopath - to murder the carrier of his baby without the knowledge and possible direction of a scorned woman. JMO.

Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member