GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's unfair to generalize Marines this way. Yes, your job might put you in a situation that would make you more likely to fight Someone but that doesn't mean that they're predisposed to be violent or a killer. If you are put in a situation where you would have to possibly fight for your life you wouldn't? I worked on 29 Palms and other Marine bases and there are so many good people that would give anything for each other, the Marines get a bad rap because of a small portion of bad seeds.

Playing devils advocate here, I don't think that's what the poster meant at all, that just because he's a Marine it predispositions him to murder.

Let me see if I can explain without messing it up and making it worse. Being in our Armed Forces, it's to defend and to protect our country and our constitution. When someone joins our Armed Forces, they is always a chance they will have to go into combat. They know this when they take their oath. Some join to learn a trade, or have their college expenses paid, some to have a steady income and to have health and dental benefits, many things the Armed Forces offer. But along with it is the chance they will have to serve in a conflict area somewhere in the world and they have to be willing to do that.

They also go through extensive combat training, learning weaponry, sharp shooting, hand to hand combat, survival training. All for the purpose of possibly having to go into combat and to possibly have to kill someone.

A member of our Armed Forces knows this is a possibility and are willing to do that part of the job if need be, than say for instance, someone who chooses a career in masonry. The mason isn't going to be trained in how to kill someone.

It's just a whole different mindset and requirement of a job. I don't believe it's a generalization to say that any Marine could possibly kill. If they have to, they will, they are trained to.

I would think a case could be made for kidnapping, which is a felony, and if the person died as a result then they could be charged with murder. IMO

Plus, in some states, if the death occurs during the commission of another felony (such as kidnapping) they can go for the death penalty.

I do not believe a person joining the military is any more likely to kill a non-combatant, civilian person than a lawyer, doctor , minister or police officer .
Just because they join the military knowing they may one day have to kill someone in combat does not mean they are more inclined to kill . Certainly there are a few bad apples in the military..there are bad apples in every walk of life. IMO, 99 % of the time .. during combat it isn't about killing the enemy , it is about protecting yourself and your fellow brothers at arms.

If you were a school teacher and someone was firing a weapon towards you and the children , what would you do to protect them ? If you had a gun would you fire back at the shooter ?

Also, another reason someone joins the military is a sense of duty to their country. A sense of duty and love for their country that isn't much different than the duty they feel to protect their family. I believe most military members have a higher sense of " protecting " not a higher likelihood of killing someone .

I do not believe a person joining the military is any more likely to kill a non-combatant, civilian person than a lawyer, doctor , minister or police officer .
Just because they join the military knowing they may one day have to kill someone in combat does not mean they are more inclined to kill . Certainly there are a few bad apples in the military..there are bad apples in every walk of life. IMO, 99 % of the time .. during combat it isn't about killing the enemy , it is about protecting yourself and your fellow brothers at arms.

If you were a school teacher and someone was firing a weapon towards you and the children , what would you do to protect them ? If you had a gun would you fire back at the shooter ?
Also, another reason someone joins the military is a sense of duty to their country. A sense of duty and love for their country that isn't much different than the duty they feel to protect their family. I believe most military members have a higher sense of " protecting " not a higher likelihood of killing someone .

BBM: Bad example. LOL Thinking of school teachers with guns and kids around is scary.

But I get what you are saying, members have a higher sense of protecting. It's just they know they are more apt to have to protect then someone who flips burgers for a living.

ETA: I know many people who have been in the military. All were trained to defend our country. Some went into combat, some did not. Those that went into combat had to kill. They did their job, they did what they were sent there to do. None of them came back and killed anyone else.

While we're on the topic of combat, I remember reading that JC had NOT been involved in combat.

Anyone who has been on WS for a while can tell you there is no "type" NOT capable of murder or other horrible acts.

Do we have any evidence to disprove this far-fetched idea? Erin tells her husband she's going to JT to look for picnic places. Suspicious, he borrows a friend's car and follows her. He is in the red car when she finally stops at 10 and says, "Get in the car." Of course, she does. She might have been planning to meet someone else there, or she might have pulled over realizing he was following her. I know several hours elapsed from 7 to 10. Just one possibility in my mind, but not the strongest one.

As former active duty military, AMEN and AMEN to that. I was lucky and didn't even really ever "play" combat but worked with and around grunt types a fair amount and honestly, the non-coms who enlisted and were funneled into certain jobs for their "brains" often scared me WAY more than any grunts….and please do not take that term as a negative as I/we had the utmost respect for the men and women out there being being shot at or at risk of it doing what military people are typically associated with doing. Carrying the weight of the real field work on their backs.

IMHO you have it correct. Bad apples come from all corners of life and having combat training doesn't make one any more likely to kill. At least one of the Marines in question has never even served in combat.

Do we have any evidence to disprove this far-fetched idea? Erin tells her husband she's going to JT to look for picnic places. Suspicious, he borrows a friend's car and follows her. He is in the red car when she finally stops at 10 and says, "Get in the car." Of course, she does. She might have been planning to meet someone else there, or she might have pulled over realizing he was following her. I know several hours elapsed from 7 to 10. Just one possibility in my mind, but not the strongest one.

At this point, we have no official clarification about JC's work hours on Saturday. Some have said 7am-7pm. But I am thinking since he is not restricted to base in any way, he probably has a verifiable alibi, to prevent him from being the guy in the red car. Maybe the lack of restriction does not mean anything but it is all we have. Jmo

Abigail Hernandez has found her way home. Hoping Erin will have the same happy outcome.

I hope it is ok to post this coincidental press release regarding a 29 Palms resident.
[snipped link]

Note: Station: Homocide Detail

I think the mods will definitely pull that, but screenshot and keep under your hat.

I hope it is ok to post this coincidental press release regarding a 29 Palms resident.

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/Med...YuccaValleyPossessionofDestructiveDevice.aspx

I hope it is too; interesting that the address is NOT corresponding with any addresses given in the search warrants for this case. So, maybe this was a sealed warrant that wasn't released, or it is being classified as independent from this case for reasons we do not know. Also interesting that the horse rescue is considered a residence tied to the person who was arrested for the illegal devices.

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/Med...YuccaValleyPossessionofDestructiveDevice.aspx

It was the 4th of July, that could easily have been a firecracker or a cherry bomb or bottle rocket, just celebrating the countries Independence. Desert areas are high fire areas so usually any fireworks are prohibited/against the law.

That station being Homicide Detail is very interesting.........

How can it be involuntary with no crime being committed with her car being found where it was though ?

Most likely it means they think a crime was committed, but they don't have the evidence yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop