GUILTY CA - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm playing catch up on this thread so forgive me if this has been brought up and I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Is this tragedy being considered just a horrific DUI case or did the suspect purposefully mow down these two lovely young girls? I know freak things happen but if kind of boggles my mind that this woman goes out driving under the influence and just happens to hit her own child and her friend?

RIP Faith and Kiya.

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm playing catch up on this thread so forgive me if this has been brought up and I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Is this tragedy being considered just a horrific DUI case or did the suspect purposefully mow down these two lovely young girls? I know freak things happen but if kind of boggles my mind that this woman goes out driving under the influence and just happens to hit her own child and her friend?

RIP Faith and Kiya.

MOO

We don't know yet whether this was a horrific DUI case or deliberate, partly because Marci and Josh haven't spoken to LE yet. It does seem bizarre that she just happened to hit her daughter and friend. But if it was deliberate...I hate to think it! But it had occurred to me.

If you go on google earth you can see that the road is straight and not forested. So even after 9:00 it wouldn't be dark. Dusk means poor visibility and maybe no headlights. The girls were skateboarding toward oncoming vehicles in their lane. I would think they would be visible though. There is no shoulder, just a ditch, so they may have felt that, just as you walk against traffic, skateboarding against traffic would be safer and enable them to avoid an oncoming car by moving to the other lane. It's not a heavily trafficked road. If she was speeding, as is her habit, it's possible she came upon them too quickly to stop, but wouldn't your instinct be to stop and help, no matter if you knew it was your daughter or not? Her instinct was to start a cover-up.

Jul 27, 2016

Search warrants in Fortuna hit and run "indicates that further additional investigation indicates Marci Kitchen was the driver of the jeep at the time of the collision"

In search warrants for the Fortuna hit and run case, one search warrant which was used to obtain digital records related to a wireless phone number, indicate that a friend of Marci Kitchen's son, who is the brother of Kiya Kitchen, ( who is Marci Kitchen's daughter and one of the victims) told law enforcement that "he believes that Marci and (son's name not printed in post) have the same service."
http://johnchiv.blogspot.com/

Jul 27, 2016

Search warrants in Fortuna hit and run "indicates that further additional investigation indicates Marci Kitchen was the driver of the jeep at the time of the collision"

In search warrants for the Fortuna hit and run case, one search warrant which was used to obtain digital records related to a wireless phone number, indicate that a friend of Marci Kitchen's son, who is the brother of Kiya Kitchen, ( who is Marci Kitchen's daughter and one of the victims) told law enforcement that "he believes that Marci and (son's name not printed in post) have the same service."
http://johnchiv.blogspot.com/

I was on my way over to post this. :) Looking quickly at the photos Chiv posted, I don't see one that indicates MK was the driver, but Chiv said he left pages out that identified her son and others.

Search warrant affidavits released to the public Tuesday are shining a new light on the fatal Fortuna hit-and-run that took the lives of two 14-year-old girls. Kiya Kitchen and Faith Tsarnas were involved in the collision that occurred on the night of July 12.
According to the documents, at one point through interviews with Marcia Kitchen’s son, Kitchen attempted to call him and dissuade him from providing a statement to law enforcement. It also stated that through the investigative steps detailed in the affidavit and additional investigation that had been conducted indicated Marcia Kitchen was the driver of the Jeep at the time of the collision and that she tried to conceal the jeep immediately after. An officer on scene “observed objective signs/symptoms that Marcia Kitchen was intoxicated moments after the crash”.

http://www.krcrtv.com/north-coast-n...on-fortuna-hit-and-run-investigation/40045216

Well, there it is. So why is this case so complicated that Kitchen hasn't been arrested already? :waitasec:

What a horrible person!

More from MsMarple's link:

Court documents shine new light on Fortuna hit-and-run investigation
Here are the images from the 2 SW's I was able to capture via the embedded video at this link (it is a must watch, but entirely heartbreaking and infuriating):
https://shar.es/1ZqiyY

My apologies for the resolution, I did the best I couldn't on my iPhone. Hopefully the full SW will be released soon.

2493a45c3bf85900095062853e86bcc6.png

d4080659ff3c0595a8854fba5258bef0.png

Phone SW
7583a8462ab5120cbf2beaea98dc0100.png

4a8cc99873a41fc321b8ac2a7c6f4baa.png

00d37efc8a41746f6a7de8d86236da0c.png

[/i]See next post, as I can only upload 5 images per post (in the order as posted on video report)[/i]

https://shar.es/1ZqiyY

Thanks so much Kimi. You're on a roll on two of my subscribed threads!! :loveyou:

OMG! Seeing the front end of the Jeep while it was being towed away on the flat bed is shocking. And terribly sad.

Yes... was SHOCKED at the damage... she didn't just 'bump' those girls. No way she didn't know what she did. That looked head on to me. WOW. Just WOW.

Yes... was SHOCKED at the damage... she didn't just 'bump' those girls. No way she didn't know what she did. That looked head on to me. WOW. Just WOW.

It's horrible to imagine how this went down for those poor girls. It can be hard to tell how fast a vehicle is coming toward you. No doubt they saw the jeep and underestimated how quickly it would reach them. It was too late for them to change lanes or dive for the ditch. Were they blinded by headlights or were the lights off? Did they realize who it was in the final instant? :( I can't believe that MK wouldn't recognize her own daughter and friend before impact, headlights or not.

I imagine there are ways to determine the speed of the jeep by the degree of damage. I wonder if there is any evidence like skid marks to show that she applied her brakes. The fact that the 911 caller saw the vehicle pulled over up ahead and then leave makes me sick. How soon after the impact did he arrive? How long did she stay pulled over without rendering aid? It's not a busy road. Was she waiting for someone else to show up and deal with it? Or did he just happen to be fairly close behind her? Either way, her first instinct was self-preservation, not motherly instinct (proven also by the pressure she put on her son not to speak to LE).
JMO

I suppose it's possible that once MK is arrested we will learn that she's been "hiding" in some sort of mental health/rehab facility.

I suppose it's possible that once MK is arrested we will learn that she's been "hiding" in some sort of mental health/rehab facility.

That's a possibility. It would be nice. Here's a list of inpatient facilities. I was surprised at how many there are. My first reaction was that there might be only a few.

http://www.pathstorecovery.org/inpatient-drug-rehab-centers/Humboldt-county-CA/rehab.html

We've been told they are still in Humboldt, which has lots of isolated land for hiding, so that's possible too, although anyone who helped them would be subject to charges as the CHP has pointed out.

Has anyone else noticed that the publicized 911 call on the night of the hit-and-run (as I believe there may be "unpublicized" calls also)--in most media reports that call is said to have been received at approximately 9:11 PM PDT? Granted: the word 'approximately' is being stated in these reports. I think it's down to an almost exact science when LEO logs an incoming ER call, but apparently: the exact time is given as an estimate in media releases?

This is one (of many) details that has been picking at my brain ever since the 911 call was made public. It seems strange to me that it states a time that is before the time being released in most (if not all) reports as the approximate time of the hit-and-run. I realize it's likely *much* easier to get an accurate time of that call than it would be to approximate the time of the collision. Perhaps just an oversight...or could there be a specific reason why the media is reporting the call as having occurred
prior to the time of collision?
My brain seems to be naturally attracted to the odd details and often gets stuck on them. :gaah: There's a perfectly logical reason for the discrepancy....right? :thinking:

A bit OT, but relative to what Fortuna has had to deal with on top of this tragedy. Fortuna is a small, tightly knit community where if people don't know one another personally: they often know a relative or friend of a particular person from the area. On Saturday, 23 July--a recent high school graduate of Fortuna High was involved in a freak accident at a nearby beach. Kiya Kitchen's brother, his friend referred to as "Reed," and many friends and family close to Kiya and Faith are also very close to this young man. He is still in a medically induced coma and in critical condition.

Prayers going up for the friends and family of Kiya and Faith, and also for Judah Helton. It has been a summer of shock and grief for that community so far, to say the least.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2016/jul/25/19-year-old-fortuna-man-life-support-after-centerv/

Has anyone else noticed that the publicized 911 call on the night of the hit-and-run (as I believe there may be "unpublicized" calls also)--in most media reports that call is said to have been received at approximately 9:11 PM PDT? Granted: the word 'approximately' is being stated in these reports. I think it's down to an almost exact science when LEO logs an incoming ER call, but apparently: the exact time is given as an estimate in media releases?

This is one (of many) details that has been picking at my brain ever since the 911 call was made public. It seems strange to me that it states a time that is before the time being released in most (if not all) reports as the approximate time of the hit-and-run. I realize it's likely *much* easier to get an accurate time of that call than it would be to approximate the time of the collision. Perhaps just an oversight...or could there be a specific reason why the media is reporting the call as having occurred
prior to the time of collision?

My brain seems to be naturally attracted to the odd details and often gets stuck on them. :gaah: There's a perfectly logical reason for the discrepancy....right? :thinking:

A bit OT, but relative to what Fortuna has had to deal with on top of this tragedy. Fortuna is a small, tightly knit community where if people don't know one another personally: they often know a relative or friend of a particular person from the area. On Saturday, 23 July--a recent high school graduate of Fortuna High was involved in a freak accident at a nearby beach. Kiya Kitchen's brother, his friend referred to as "Reed," and many friends and family close to Kiya and Faith are also very close to this young man. He is still in a medically induced coma and in critical condition.

Prayers going up for the friends and family of Kiya and Faith, and also for Judah Helton. It has been a summer of shock and grief for that community so far, to say the least.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2016/jul/25/19-year-old-fortuna-man-life-support-after-centerv/

I don't mean to be facetious about your question, but I would say that the reason for the discrepancy between the time of the 911 call and the reported time of the accident is....the usual inaccurate reporting we see all the time in MSM. It drives me nuts, but it happens all.the.time. :gaah:

I was so sorry to read about Judah Helton. What a terrible situation. Prayers for all.

Hope it's okay to update on Judah, even if a bit OT... his father just posted a bit ago on the FB updates group that Judah has passed away. :(

Yes Lilibet...it's the River Lodge (Conference Center) on 1800 Riverwalk Drive. ALL of Riverwalk Drive is just beautiful, pastoral, and peaceful. I can't imagine a better setting for Kiya's Celebration of Life. The River Lodge is set right next to the Eel River just a block or so south of Riverwalk Park. There's a long paved walking path that parallels the river.
7The area has low traffic and is surrounded by pastureland, views of rolling hills behind the river, and close enough to the Pacific to get some refreshing ocean breezes. I go there and tent or rent a cabin sometimes just as a short reprieve from Eureka...so very quiet and utterly peaceful there!

Most of all: I hope Kiya's Memorial was a reflection of the very surroundings in which it was held and was hopefully able to bring some measure of comfort to those who love her.

Rest in Peace, Kiya--you were and always will be loved :rose::star::angel:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back