Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ JohnRoot Fitzpatrick, 55, missing, 30 Jul ‘23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
High Desert News is out of Victorville, it seems. There is probably enough in the area of Cajon Pass, Victorville and along the I-15 corridor into Barstow to fill their daily postings.

I find The Desert Sun to be centered more in the Palm Springs general area, carrying news items from Morongo Valley to Thermal. Like many small newspapers, it also posts feeds from USA Today and such.

Here is an article posted in The Desert Sun, about a rescue in the Bakersfield area, which is not really near Morongo Valley at all, but reminds us about hazards in the general terrain in the California desert areas, and shows a scenario that could be similar to something the FJ and JF might have experienced:

I believe The Desert Sun is owned by USA Today - same group that owns my own local paper, where I used to be a stringer. I do know the one reporter who covers my town - but he only does specific topics, and even then, he rarely gets the green light to go with a story (because they have to pay him). The topics he's assigned to do are sports, education/higher ed (graduations, puff pieces), local events (we have a couple). He does not cover crime.

However, I would think that maybe the editor of The Desert Sun would consider assigning their reporter to a crime case. I say reporter, singular, because the circulation of my own local newspaper is greater than that of The Desert Sun and we have 1 part time reporter (shared with 1 other newspaper).

Does anyone know if there is a non-reddit forum for "netizens" of the Morongo Valley area? Or even 29 Palms or Joshua Tree or Palm Springs? Some communities have their own forum.

At any rate, I can't find a single article about FJ in The Desert Sun (and I've tried several ways of searching - if it's this hard to find, that's too bad, really). But the High Desert News has been covering the case and that's the only local source I can find.

Which is why I think they are the better bet for continued coverage, as they've clearly allowed a reporter to give continued coverage.

IMO.

I believe The Desert Sun is owned by USA Today - same group that owns my own local paper, where I used to be a stringer. I do know the one reporter who covers my town - but he only does specific topics, and even then, he rarely gets the green light to go with a story (because they have to pay him). The topics he's assigned to do are sports, education/higher ed (graduations, puff pieces), local events (we have a couple). He does not cover crime.

However, I would think that maybe the editor of The Desert Sun would consider assigning their reporter to a crime case. I say reporter, singular, because the circulation of my own local newspaper is greater than that of The Desert Sun and we have 1 part time reporter (shared with 1 other newspaper).

Does anyone know if there is a non-reddit forum for "netizens" of the Morongo Valley area? Or even 29 Palms or Joshua Tree or Palm Springs? Some communities have their own forum.

At any rate, I can't find a single article about FJ in The Desert Sun (and I've tried several ways of searching - if it's this hard to find, that's too bad, really). But the High Desert News has been covering the case and that's the only local source I can find.

Which is why I think they are the better bet for continued coverage, as they've clearly allowed a reporter to give continued coverage.

IMO.
Excellent points !

Is there any way to get a US-based journalist who understands Chinese culture and Mandarin languages to become interested in this case?

I really think there needs to be someone on the ground who can communicate easily with the family and pick up subtle details that other English-speaking journalists would miss.

Someone who could visit the trailer parks, who could figure out the real last time they were seen in that area and what JF may have said about upcoming trips.

*I think I've seen too many old detective movies where the plucky journalist ignores the uninterested detective and figures out the crime.

Not a forum, but there's a Facebook group. Around the time when Fang had just been reported missing, some person on there posted they want to make a documentary about all the people missing in the area.

Excellent points !

Is there any way to get a US-based journalist who understands Chinese culture and Mandarin languages to become interested in this case?

I really think there needs to be someone on the ground who can communicate easily with the family and pick up subtle details that other English-speaking journalists would miss.

Someone who could visit the trailer parks, who could figure out the real last time they were seen in that area and what JF may have said about upcoming trips.

*I think I've seen too many old detective movies where the plucky journalist ignores the uninterested detective and figures out the crime.

There are several university satellite campuses in the area, including Palm Desert (satellite campus of UC Riverside and also a satellite campus of CSU, San Bernardino), and I think CSU San Marcos has a satellite campus in Temecula, IIRC.

They would have access to faculty, staff and students who speak various languages and could be a resource either on their satellite campuses or with their connections to their main campuses.

I used to work with faculty at all three universities mentioned, but they have retired or taken positions at other universities, so don't have any connections there now that I know of. But the satellite campuses could be a resource if someone there got interested in this case.

There are also student groups, even an article in a student newspaper might spark an interest in someone on the campus that could lead to helping the family of Ms. Jin.

edited to add that both UC Riverside and CSU San Bernardino have satellite campuses in Palm Desert.

Last edited:
Excellent points !

How would a reporter get in touch with the family, I wonder? If it were possible to know, then several reporters could be contacted with that information - but we on WS do not have that information. There are virtually *no* journalists on this case at all. Because there are no local papers that would pay anyone to do all this work.

That reporter would need to be working for a fairly large publication to spend even one whole day at the mobile home park.

I have a background in journalism (and intend to pick it up again when I retire in January) and while I might write a self-published news article on something like this, and would offer it for free to USA Today (etc), it's unlikely they would ever publish it - they use their own stringers (sparingly) and pay them by the story or by the day.

Journalism used to be okay-paying. Now people like me are...the norm where I live. My 88-year-old mentor (a stringer for two local papers for 68 years) is a typical example. She now works for free. She's great. She co-owns a tiny town newspaper (okay - she's the only reporter for it - it deals with class reunions, local heroism, outstanding citizens, student awards, local music and plays - of which there's very little).

Many colleges have discontinued their journalism programs. TV journalism is still alive - but to get a camera and crew out there is even more expensive. Back in the days when I first started reporting, I had hope of getting a larger paper to pay me and publish me (which happened - but not enough to live on, not in the places I was living). Journalism is rarely a young reporter's day job.

And I doubt that there's even one regular reporter (of any type) living in actual Morongo Valley. But if anyone knows of one, that person would be the contact to use.

IMO.

<snipped for focus>

A reporter or news outlet could contact Kyle Zhou, the family friend who set up the page to help raise funds for the family so that they can post a reward.

edited to correct name

True. In fact, anyone could do that, as it's prudent to have real contact with someone before donating. No reward has been posted yet, that I know of.

And IMO, it's unlikely that this person has any more information (except about why no reward yet) than is already posted on their ask page. Not sure many reporters would find a story about a fund raiser to be enough to write an article. And most editors would avoid publishing it if there weren't some actual news in it, although an opinion quote from someone close to FJ would be enough (I'd think) for a short article.

I'm keeping what you wrote in mind. There's gotta be a way to get a little publicity on this case.

IMO.

A reporter for the Victorville Daily Press (part of the USA Today Network), wrote an artilce on August 3rd about Fang Jin's disappearance. He descirbes himself as a High Desert reporter since 2010 and is a native of the High Desert. He might be willing to do more to get the word out. His name is Rene Ray De La Cruz.

Thanks for the valuable insight. I’m also wondering what the impact of flooding from Hurricane might have had on any potential accident crash site in the storm damage and damage assessment personnel- revealing a concealed vehicle or further hiding from public view?
I definitely agree with this being an odd case, the lack of details and the misinformation (conflicting info initially reported) no doubt has influenced LE actions making any investigation difficult. Thanks again for explaining terrain.

I don't think so. The nearest really flooded places were Death Valley (still closed - but no known cars trapped within) and Mojave National Preserve (open again; mud floes over roads, but not deep enough to hide a car).

Their car would have been visible (where ever it was) right up until the hurricane, but the waters receded quickly and none of the mud floes seem deep enough to hide a car. Slipping off a mountain road, though, could involve disappearance.

FJ was last heard from just before the supposed Thermal visit (or around that time). If it's true that they were interested in a hot springs experience, then that would explain why they went there. The key question is what was JRF doing in Julian? Seems obvious he had his truck - but where was FJ at that time? She was either with him - or not.

Where did he/they go after Julian?? So many options it makes my head spin, but if he was alone and running from the law, then I'd guess at least over into Arizona and then down into Mexico (or over into New Mexico next or El Paso area). That way any BOLO in California would be unlikely to reach quickly and I doubt anyone in AZ is looking for him (or did look for him).

It's so frustrating that apparently, LE isn't actively trying to find out, at least, what was going on with JRF's bank accounts. No one is coming forward as friend or family to him, to press the issue of him as a missing person - and it is sad that SBCSO decided FJ"s disappearance was "voluntary."

IMO.

Not a forum, but there's a Facebook group. Around the time when Fang had just been reported missing, some person on there posted they want to make a documentary about all the people missing in the area.
Adding to this that most locals find/share local information via a collection of Facebook groups (so many overlapping options mostly full of people commenting on the roads/weather/new places opening, etc), sometimes on Nextdoor, and for more of the artist/hipster crowd on Insta.

An interesting alternative potential could be The Desert Oracle. He has a weekly radio show/podcast and occasionally prints little desert oddity journals. The guy who runs it used to work in the more mainstream blogging world in the early 2000s, so has an interesting network and some devout listeners who care about desert things. He's not a reporter, more a storyteller about odd desert things. But I recall his shows covering a prior missing couple case from a few years back. (I actually haven't listened to his more recent shows/podcasts, so possible he's already mentioned this case, but idk.)

Remember that location of phone calls is entirely dependent on the proximity of cell towers.

There may not be anywhere near as many cell towers in the sparsely-populated Julian - Borrego area so the call that appears to be originating in Julian may be much closer to Borrego Springs than is apparent. Borrego would be an area that has a lot of interesting things for a visitor to see, including some well-known and several not well-known hot springs.

For example: Five Palm Hot Springs

1694119231659.png

Last edited:
If they made it to Borrego and any of it's nearby hotsprings, FJ would probably have sent her daughter a photo showing the palms or the springs. It's quite notable.

The absence of the July 23 photo and any subsequent photos just seem like something happened that day that removed her from her cell phone, or made her unable to use it.

It would be a 90 minute drive on freeway and major roads from Morongo Valley to Borrego Springs, proper. There is primitive camping in many sites out there. An easy overnight trip from Morongo to camp in the desert, enjoy the hot springs and look at the night sky.

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud.......could they have left the desert and southern California and started to travel north? A lot of travelers from other countries seem to want to visit Yosemite National Park.

May be taking the scenic route of Hwy 101, lots of cliffs to navigate. Could they have possibly left the road, over an embankment?

Just thinking out loud.......could they have left the desert and southern California and started to travel north? A lot of travelers from other countries seem to want to visit Yosemite National Park.

May be taking the scenic route of Hwy 101, lots of cliffs to navigate. Could they have possibly left the road, over an embankment?

She had really only been in the desert for 6 or 7 nights, by the day of the last image sent to her daughter. I don't think they would be ready to leave the desert yet.

Maybe several weeks later, but not yet.

And if they did, why has she not made contact with her daughter since July 22?

Last edited:
She had really only been in the desert for 6 or 7 nights, by the day of the last image sent to her daughter. I don't think they would be ready to leave the desert yet.

Maybe several weeks later, but not yet.

And if they did, why has she not made contact with her daughter since July 22?

Only reason would be imo is because she can't...which means, after so much times has passed, that she's more than likely not still with us. Sad to say but I don't know how it can be 'hoped' that this is not the case.

I can't find Fang's article in his list. He does mostly Victorville - but yes, I would think that someone like him would be interested (he does a lot of crime writing for Victorville, Apple Valley and Hesperia).

Thing is, they easily could have gone back in that direction - it's pretty in some areas and on the way to other places of desert beauty (although...Victorville itself is not really a tourist destination). We go out to Vasquez Rocks for fun and I recommend it to international tourists all the time.

Victorville is a sizable community compared to many others out there, and so lots of eyes on the road who would be looking (although a bit late, now).

If foul play is involved, then the area around the Salton Sea is almost literally No Man's Land (certainly No Woman's Land, IMO) and filled with places a truck could (temporarily) disappear.

See how the land kind of takes a dip before the Sea, here? There are other places where the sagebrush is higher, as well. But just driving down to the low shoreline of the Salton Sea (with its small dunes above) would hide a truck until someone decided to pay attention and report it.

This is taken from an actual street in Salton Sea Beach. As you can see, in this particular neighborhood, while there is a street (unpaved) and...some buildings (do the 360 turn) this is typical of a "populated" spot out there. Between this place and the town of Salton City lie 10 miles of...nothing. Well, there are some signs of life here and there. In this example, there's an intersection - and the roads go on for miles (and other similar intersections intersect and go on for miles, too).

Heading more over to Julian, we go past an "airport/town." This is Ocotillo Airport. The whole airport is invisible, behind a low ridge. The entire area is filled with small dunes, large dunes and long, low ridges. The airport is small, of course - but my point is that I want to provide context for saying "nothing out there."

From that Chinese section of a SF newspaper dated 8/13/2023

I hadn't seen this selfie photo before. It looks like there's a highway billboard outside the driver's side. He also looks like he's had a shave in the last day or two. I kinda see the possible cold sore on her lower lip. She doesn't look to be sunburned and her hair and skin look clean. She looks younger than 47 in this photo. She obviously takes good care of herself.
Do we know where or when this was taken?

View attachment 445213
This does not look like the same man. He looks much younger and thinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper