Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ JohnRoot Fitzpatrick, 55, missing, 30 Jul ‘23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much!

But I can't see the articles, European here.

Is Gloria Huerta (missing person) or Tyler Bengard (SBCSD) mentioned in any of them?
I'll need to contact them (FS) if they have started using any internet info as sources for their records, because I've used them a lot for my family research, including Russian genealogy, which is hard enough. And never had a problem before.

Also, what's the name of the reporter?

The name of the reporter is Jene Estrada, he is with the Hi-Desert News and The Desert Trail ( same website for both).

The articles I linked are about Fang Jin's disappearance only. You can do a search on their website (The Desert Trail) for other news stories, that's how I found these news stories on Fang Jin.

Gloria Huerta is the public information officer from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department who has been giving statements to the press in this case, and Tyler Bengard is the detective. Sheriff confirms missing woman hired missing Morongo Valley man as guide

It looks to me like FamilySearch scraped the news article about JRF being missing and somehow interpreted that as a death announcement. In the top right corner, it says this information was indexed by a computer and errors should be reported to FS. This seems like an error to me.

View attachment 445696

Thank you.
So strange to me because they usually don't use just any type of info, maybe started testing using AI?
I will for sure report it!

The name of the reporter is Jene Estrada, he is with the Hi-Desert News and The Desert Trail ( same website for both).

The articles I linked are about Fang Jin's disappearance only. You can do a search on their website (The Desert Trail) for other news stories, that's how I found these news stories on Fang Jin.

Their site is blocked for me, I'm in Europe.

I have his ancestry records (much more reliable). Age of 52 confirmed. Married young, likely in New York, divorced 1st 2010. Remarried 2011. I don’t have the exact dates of second divorce, but there are several property transfers that could indicate 2015 date of second divorce.

Question about JRF: is Root his middle name? I am just trying to understand why people call him John Root Fitzpatrick. I don’t think I can name another case where we have called someone by three names.

And the missing person poster says that he is 52 years old, not 55 as the title of this thread indicates. Any idea which age is correct?
I know in his NamUs it is written that way, and I think the news reports, too.

Speaking for myself, I’ve been using his initials JRF here on the thread, for this reason:
The Chinese way of addressing Fang Jin’s name would be Jin Fang (last name first), which would make her initials JF. Coincidentally, John’s is also JF (John Fitzpatrick)! So, JRF it is for me, to hopefully avoid confusion.

Thank you so much!

But I can't see the articles, European here.

Is Gloria Huerta (missing person) or Tyler Bengard (SBCSD) mentioned in any of them?
I'll need to contact them (FS) if they have started using any internet info as sources for their records, because I've used them a lot for my family research, including Russian genealogy, which is hard enough. And never had a problem before.

Also, what's the name of the reporter?

Yes, I just re-read the articles and both Gloria Huerta and Tyler Bengard are mentioned in the articles. Gloria Huerta is quoted as the Public Information Officer for the Sheriff's Department, and Tyler Bengard is listed as the Detective to contact if anyone has any information on either Fang Jin or John Root Fitzpatrick.

I agree that $3,000 doesn’t seem to me to be a strong financial motive. If he had no criminal history of violence or mental health concerns we obviously would have very different opinions of what might have occurred.

I wonder if the daughter of Ms. Jin had access, or can get access, to her banking records to see if anything has been withdrawn from her bank account at an ATM or otherwise. News articles mention that she was travelling with $2,000 or $3,000, but she likely would need more for this long stay in the U.S. and planned to withdraw from her bank accounts in either (or both) Portugal and the PRC.

True, if she does not have to independently pay for accommodation and a rental car.

But still, that's only $33 a day for the two of them. That's not enough for gas and two McDonald's meals. We've already seen two possible hotels she stayed in, one in Los Angeles, and one I think in Palm Springs area.

I think she would want to stay in a motel for some other nights for the A/C, to get showered and to do some laundry. Get groceries or restaurant meals. Other such stuff.

I don't think she intended to be desert camping for 90 days. I think she has to be using a credit card or some form of bank or electronic payment for expenses. There must be a financial trail on some account in China that can be found and checked.

I am guessing she only brought $3000 in cash with her for practical reasons. Most people avoid larger amounts of cash so they don't have to declare it. Plus, she was travel savvy. She definitely would not want to bring more than she could afford to lose if mugged or lost her purse. That is just common sense when traveling internationally.

Many tourists are asked to show proof of funds when visiting countries and immigration would not be "satisfied" with $3k for 90 days.

She absolutely had credit cards/debits cards. Most hotels will NOT allow you to rent without some form of card. It is very difficult to pat cash for a decent room, especially non-US citizens. The question is if the daughter can see if there has been any activities since communication stopped.

I think the sandstorm covering up the truck is an unlikely scenario (especially given the places we know they were and the weather conditions at the time). But some other mishap (ending up in a ditch or a gully and not being noticed) have happened many times here in SoCal. The truck *is* a highly visible color, but if it is lodged under chaparral in some ravine, it will be invisible. This type of landscape would be more likely around Julian, which is higher in the mountains.

As far as I can tell, there's no evidence of them actually camping. I agree it appears that FJ stayed in hostels/hotels for two nights and then we don't know where she was, but I assume staying at the mobile home park in JRF's mobile home. They appear to have taken day trips to Joshua Tree and to some general location in the Mojave, where FJ took snapshots (although very few snapshots of JT that we've seen - it's a bit peculiar to me; I only remember one picture of a single Joshua Tree - and those are visible throughout the region; no pictures of the amazing rock formations inside JT, that I can recall).

The general trajectory of travel appears to be southward - so not to the cooler parts of California and inland - the hottest part of California.

I agree that $2000 is not enough for 90 days, given that the hostel alone costs $52. However, she surely had a way of using an ATM? Many of us travel with enough cash for the immediate period after landing at an airport (train tickets, flyaway bus to DTLA, hostel, modest meal would be $100 at least on the first day).

Other local tourist sights that do not show up in FJ's camera roll would include Palm Springs and its amazing architecture, the Palm Springs tram ride, any of the hot springs near Thermal, campgrounds themselves, Salton Sea itself.

Odd, IMO.

I don't think so. The nearest really flooded places were Death Valley (still closed - but no known cars trapped within) and Mojave National Preserve (open again; mud floes over roads, but not deep enough to hide a car).

Their car would have been visible (where ever it was) right up until the hurricane, but the waters receded quickly and none of the mud floes seem deep enough to hide a car. Slipping off a mountain road, though, could involve disappearance.

FJ was last heard from just before the supposed Thermal visit (or around that time). If it's true that they were interested in a hot springs experience, then that would explain why they went there. The key question is what was JRF doing in Julian? Seems obvious he had his truck - but where was FJ at that time? She was either with him - or not.

Where did he/they go after Julian?? So many options it makes my head spin, but if he was alone and running from the law, then I'd guess at least over into Arizona and then down into Mexico (or over into New Mexico next or El Paso area). That way any BOLO in California would be unlikely to reach quickly and I doubt anyone in AZ is looking for him (or did look for him).

It's so frustrating that apparently, LE isn't actively trying to find out, at least, what was going on with JRF's bank accounts. No one is coming forward as friend or family to him, to press the issue of him as a missing person - and it is sad that SBCSO decided FJ"s disappearance was "voluntary."

IMO.

I definitely think and have thought this is misadventure. I am guessing they are in a vehicle, upside-down, in the bottom of a ravine. Brush could be obscuring the car. Sand storms could also have potentially covered the vehicle. There are many cases of vehicles not being located off a road for quite some time. Then found by dirt bike riders, hikers, or by chance.

If they are both indeed missing along with the vehicle, I am guessing they are off a road somewhere, possibly near Julian. I can't imagine a US citizen would venture into Mexico away from a major tourist area.

If daughter could confirm no account activity, they are missing because of an accident.

I agree, this could be misadventure. I wonder if there was an car accident? I am looking at topography maps and wonder if they are in a ravine in the car, upside down somewhere? They could have ventured of the main roads at some point. Have there been any searches of areas they traveled?

Yes, I just re-read the articles and both Gloria Huerta and Tyler Bengard are mentioned in the articles. Gloria Huerta is quoted as the Public Information Officer for the Sheriff's Department, and Tyler Bengard is listed as the Detective to contact if anyone has any information on either Fang Jin or John Root Fitzpatrick.
Thank you, now I know to double-check records on FamilySearch that was "indexed by a computer."

I'm also thinking they're in a ravine or similar in the area where his phone last pinged. Maybe a drone could find them? (since LE doesn't appear to be actively searching).

I've thought of this case several times (the thread is relatively long so the article below that summarizes the ending is probably easier - Recovered/Located - CA - Cecil Knutson (dec'd), Dianna Bedwell (inj'd), Valley Ctr, 10 May 2015)

I suspect this case will end similarly (though without either managing to have survived this long at this point, unfortunately Autopsy Reveals Cause of Death in Case of Missing Couple

Depending on where FJ and JFR truly went, it's possible they were even on the same road(s) at times as the couple in the case I linked was due to head to La Quinta. And ironically, the woman who did survive the accident and being missing for an extended time ended up in Palm Springs in a care facility.

Last edited:
I'm also thinking they're in a ravine or similar in the area where his phone last pinged. Maybe a drone could find them? (since LE doesn't appear to be actively searching).
I used google maps and followed the path they would have taken if they were making a loop like someone had suggested and there are a lot of places where a truck could go off the side of the cliff and into foliage below and not be easily seen. :(

I used google maps and followed the path they would have taken if they were making a loop like someone had suggested and there are a lot of places where a truck could go off the side of the cliff and into foliage below and not be easily seen. :(

Yes. Exactly. And from a LE point of view, that's probably statistically the most likely thing to have happen. There was a ravine near my childhood home where LE knew to look when someone in a car went missing - but one car went undetected until a wildfire burned through (it was wedged in rocks under a bunch of bushes, very close to the foot of the cliff). I suppose local LE have heard about this disappearance and will give such ravines a look - but it takes technical climbing equipment and risk to get to the bottom. So without being able to sight the car, they aren't going to look in every gully, ravine, etc.

This could mean they both made it to Julian. Lots and lots of places to miss the road and go off, I suppose. Certainly a ton of places where no one would have observed the incident. There are a lot of places out that way that don't see a lot of traffic and have zero hikers or pedestrians out and about.

I'd love to hear from locals about any sand storm capable of covering a truck (that is on a road). Sand storms are worse on flat land (I've never seen one in foothills or mountains). But, even a low ridge of sand can hide a vehicle that's gone a little way off the road - and I suppose a sandstorm could make it worse. OTOH, I've never heard of a sandstorm covering a vehicle with living people inside it, in California or anywhere else (and I have lived in other desert states) so would be interesting if anyone knows of that kind of thing. I've never even read of people being unable to drive out of most post-sandstorm events. People seek immediate shelter because they don't want their vehicles sanded. We had heavy rain out that way recently, but no big windstorm events that I know of (people were warned to drive more slowly and be aware of gusts).

IMO.

So, if the two together indeed had an accident somewhere, when do we think it may have happened, and whereabouts?

Fang’s last video was sent on 7/21 at 10pm of the Twentynine Palms area. This is her last contact.

Then, we heard JRF’s pickup truck was captured on camera in the Thermal, CA area on 7/22. So, Fang would still be with JRF under this scenario.

Then, activity from JRF’s cell phone was detected in the Julian, CA area on 7/24.

If misadventure happened, then they must have been somewhere where Fang’s phone was not working, since she did not send any updates to her loved ones after 7/21. Phone broke, lost, or just no cell phone reception?

But,since phone activity was detected on 7/24 in the Julian area (for JRF, anyway), perhaps Fang was going to send photo or video updates then, but then something happened before she could do so.

If she lost or damaged her phone, maybe she didn’t know anyone’s phone numbers, so couldn’t send a message through JRF’s phone. Is that plausible?

So, the misadventure must have happened on 7/24. The desert areas are vast, but I guess the best search locations might be around wherever the last phone ping was.

Where else would be starting places to search? I was thinking JRF’s home would be one place. See if there’s any notes or maps, etc that might give a clue where intended destinations were.

So, if the two together indeed had an accident somewhere, when do we think it may have happened, and whereabouts?

Fang’s last video was sent on 7/21 at 10pm of the Twentynine Palms area. This is her last contact.

Then, we heard JRF’s pickup truck was captured on camera in the Thermal, CA area on 7/22. So, Fang would still be with JRF under this scenario.

Then, activity from JRF’s cell phone was detected in the Julian, CA area on 7/24.

If misadventure happened, then they must have been somewhere where Fang’s phone was not working, since she did not send any updates to her loved ones after 7/21. Phone broke, lost, or just no cell phone reception?

But,since phone activity was detected on 7/24 in the Julian area (for JRF, anyway), perhaps Fang was going to send photo or video updates then, but then something happened before she could do so.

If she lost or damaged her phone, maybe she didn’t know anyone’s phone numbers, so couldn’t send a message through JRF’s phone. Is that plausible?

So, the misadventure must have happened on 7/24. The desert areas are vast, but I guess the best search locations might be around wherever the last phone ping was.

Where else would be starting places to search? I was thinking JRF’s home would be one place. See if there’s any notes or maps, etc that might give a clue where intended destinations were.

Good reasoning, but if JF's phone wasn't working/or accessible for some reason after her last communication on July 21st and JRF's phone was working until at least July 24th, then I think JF would have used JRF's phone to touch base with her family as she would know they would be starting to get worried. If JF didn't have the phone numbers available to her, then I assume she would have sent an email to her family using his phone or use his phone to post something on her social media account(s) that she knew they would see.

Yes. Exactly. And from a LE point of view, that's probably statistically the most likely thing to have happen. There was a ravine near my childhood home where LE knew to look when someone in a car went missing - but one car went undetected until a wildfire burned through (it was wedged in rocks under a bunch of bushes, very close to the foot of the cliff). I suppose local LE have heard about this disappearance and will give such ravines a look - but it takes technical climbing equipment and risk to get to the bottom. So without being able to sight the car, they aren't going to look in every gully, ravine, etc.

This could mean they both made it to Julian. Lots and lots of places to miss the road and go off, I suppose. Certainly a ton of places where no one would have observed the incident. There are a lot of places out that way that don't see a lot of traffic and have zero hikers or pedestrians out and about.

I'd love to hear from locals about any sand storm capable of covering a truck (that is on a road). Sand storms are worse on flat land (I've never seen one in foothills or mountains). But, even a low ridge of sand can hide a vehicle that's gone a little way off the road - and I suppose a sandstorm could make it worse. OTOH, I've never heard of a sandstorm covering a vehicle with living people inside it, in California or anywhere else (and I have lived in other desert states) so would be interesting if anyone knows of that kind of thing. I've never even read of people being unable to drive out of most post-sandstorm events. People seek immediate shelter because they don't want their vehicles sanded. We had heavy rain out that way recently, but no big windstorm events that I know of (people were warned to drive more slowly and be aware of gusts).

IMO.

It doesn't have to be a sandstorm like something from the Sahara that fills up the truck and covers it. That would be extremely unlikely in this area, as the sand is quite coarse and more like decomposed granite chips.

Bundles of tumbleweed mixed in with scrub could easily cover a car, especially if it was upside down in a ravine, where the dirty black underside was showing rather than the bright blue paint.

They were in areas with zero cell service, IMO. They likely moved in and out of range of cell towers. It is possible she lost her phone (and all the numbers - I myself have virtually nothing memorized). Surely Fang would have known how to post on her own social media, though.

The sudden cessation of her contact with her daughter is of course the most suspicious thing in this case, besides the actual disappearances.

I can think of a few cases of desert misadventure in which one part of a pair suffered heat stroke and collapsed and the other person did not respond well. There's even a famous case that took place less than a mile from the pair's car - in which one person actually killed his good friend, because the friend begged him to.

Those two made quite a few errors in planning - but heat will do that. And, well, some people are just plain optimistic about their chances.

It doesn't have to be a sandstorm like something from the Sahara that fills up the truck and covers it. That would be extremely unlikely in this area, as the sand is quite coarse and more like decomposed granite chips.

Bundles of tumbleweed mixed in with scrub could easily cover a car, especially if it was upside down in a ravine, where the dirty black underside was showing rather than the bright blue paint.

Of course - I had already addressed ravines. Obviously, tumbleweed could do it, if it were the right ravine. Existing brush could do it, esp if the truck were upside down, as you say.

But elsewhere, not so likely. And certainly less likely if the car were rightside up. I was speaking of a sandstorm absent ALL other misadventure (stuck off road, collision, ravine, etc). When people pull off the road for a sandstorm, they are still near a road. Not likely to be hidden by any sandstorm I've ever heard of in SoCal. And it would have to be tumbleweed season, Imo, for a truck by the side of a road to be covered in them.

I am pretty familiar with SoCal (and AZ and NM) sandstorms. The worst I've experienced were in NM. Still no cars covered up, though. If they were off roading in dunes (was his truck even 4WD? I don't think we've seen any evidence that it was, but maybe), surely he would have carried gear for self-extraction (people get stuck in sand or mud all the time but they don't usually stay in the truck/car until it's covered up by sand or mud). Worst case scenario would be getting stranded with no cell service, which is more the scenario I'm envisioning.

But unless they went off the road into a ravine (or even a small gully or barranca), they should be near a road of some kind. If that's the case, something had to have prevented them from going for help - such as heat. Or, if they did something like spin off a dirt road into rocky territory (unable to self-extract), perhaps they didn't have the resources to walk out. That I can easily imagine - and some of the roads out there are not frequently traveled. STILL, it's a long time for a truck near a road not to be seen.

So, it's either ravine for me or something much more nefarious (or something much more prosaic, such as running out of gas or having engine trouble - there is definitely a reason some desert dwellers want their trucks prepped for sand-wind conditions).

The advice is always to bring plenty of water, just in case; stay with one's car; have some type of bright colored blanket/shade cover. The hurricane hit south of where they were on August 20 - almost a month after last ping from one of them.

IMO

TL;DR being stranded is a possibility - but not a happy one, at all.

Good reasoning, but if JF's phone wasn't working/or accessible for some reason after her last communication on July 21st and JRF's phone was working until at least July 24th, then I think JF would have used JRF's phone to touch base with her family as she would know they would be starting to get worried. If JF didn't have the phone numbers available to her, then I assume she would have sent an email to her family using his phone or use his phone to post something on her social media account(s) that she knew they would see.
It’d be good if we knew how Fang and JRF communicated while she was in China. And how they met, in the first place. Was it on a forum?

China doesn’t allow Facebook, so was it through WeChat? I don’t know a lot about WeChat, but I think I read you can’t just chat immediately. You’d need to know their WeChat ID, and they have to accept your request first. Anyone here on WS use WeChat and can give us insight?

I may sound ignorant, but is it easy to email someone in China from the US? Do they use the same email providers we do?

If Fang was able to use JRF’s phone to email a message, I hope the daughter carefully checked her spam folder in case the email showed up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid