CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What were the circumstances of the guy being killed and found in the alley in May 1979? It has nothing to do with Farren of course, but it gives an idea of his surroundings a year later.

I looked up Clifford Bolden and he actually committed three other murders. I also found court records that don't even mention Rowland Jenkins ( Hmm, I wonder why?), but confirm the two murders mentioned in this article were different ones. He did go to prison for awhile, but murdered a man in 1986 after being released and then was never released again, indeed he ended up on death row, but was finally re-sentenced to life in prison. He is still alive. In the spring of 1980, though, I'm pretty certain he was in prison. Of course he was a careless and obvious murderer, that is very clear after reading the legal info online about him. And Farren's body has never been found so whoever killed him ( presumably) was better at covering things up State high court upholds SF death sentence

I'm just throwing this out there and feel free to tell me it's a stupid idea.
Is it at all possible that Farren <modsnip> were placed in care for some reason and ended up in Medford that way? I'm not necessarily saying it was for a bad reason, in fact it could be a number of things. Maybe that's why Farren returned when he was 18?

I don't know how it worked really and at the moment I'm watching original 90s episodes of unsolved mysteries and the amount of kids ripped from their families for no good reason and then never see them again astounds me so it made me think along these lines?
I know it's never been referenced at all but Is it possible? I'm running out of explanations for why they were in Medford!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone, response below from the unclaimed property people. Not overly helpful....except that the year it was transferred (1986) could absolutely make it Farren's if Marriott kept a hold of it for 6 years. This is possible, the Marriott archivist said they keep records for about 7 years so it's possible they kept paychecks as long?

Thank you for contacting the State Controller's Office, Unclaimed Property Division, in the State of California.

The property you are referring to was transferred to the State of California in 1986 by HOST MARRIOTT CORP. Unfortunately, we do not have any additional information to provided. If you feel that you are the rightful owner of this property, contact this office so that claim forms may be generated and sent to you to begin the claims process.

If you have any further questions, please contact our office at (800) 992-4647 or (916) 323-2827 for international calls. You may also visit our website at www.claimit.ca.gov for additional program information.

We want to hear from you! Please take this quick survey and let us know how we did. The Research and Public Response unit is committed to providing great customer service. Your feedback is appreciated, thank you.

Representative #YT

Office of State Controller Malia M. Cohen

Unclaimed Property Division

Public Response & Support Section

Hey everyone, response below from the unclaimed property people. Not overly helpful....except that the year it was transferred (1986) could absolutely make it Farren's if Marriott kept a hold of it for 6 years. This is possible, the Marriott archivist said they keep records for about 7 years so it's possible they kept paychecks as long?

The unclaimed property people claim that this paycheck came from HOST MARRIOTT CORPORATION. But this company didn't exist until 1982 when Marriott corporation bought Host. Previous to that it was 2 separate companies.
But I think it could be that because the new company transferred it, that's what name they have, not that they were the original employer who issues the check.

But what I would expect is that the company that inherited the paycheck, Host Marriott Corporation, would also have inherited the the original company that issued it. So does that mean we should also look at businesses that were owned by Host?
Some very quick research yells me that this did not include the theme parks or the restaurants.

Edited this to make more sense

Last edited:
If his relatives had declared him legally dead they presumably have gotten more info on this or even claimed it. Even his uncle or aunt probably couldn't have claimed it or maybe gotten more info unless they had done that, as even with documentation of being relatives or him being reported missing there's privacy laws and I'm not surprised that's all the info you recieved as I'm sure that's all the info they are allowed to provide people just inquiring. LE could likely have gotten more info, but I'm unsure of what they would have had to do.

I'm just throwing this out there and feel free to tell me it's a stupid idea.
Is it at all possible that Farren and perhaps Peggy Sue were placed in care for some reason and ended up in Medford that way? I'm not necessarily saying it was for a bad reason, in fact it could be a number of things. Maybe that's why Farren returned when he was 18?

I don't know how it worked really and at the moment I'm watching original 90s episodes of unsolved mysteries and the amount of kids ripped from their families for no good reason and then never see them again astounds me so it made me think along these lines?
I know it's never been referenced at all but Is it possible? I'm running out of explanations for why they were in Medford!
That is not a bad idea at all. It crossed my mind also and I searched for a while if there was any institution for troubled kids in Medford.

Last edited:
The San Mateo coroner let me know about that wad of papers in the John Doe,s pocket. Can anyone let me know what a tax stamp is?
She must think there's a chance this could be Farren since she is following it up

I looked into the "wad of papers" and per our records these included wet tissues, packet material, and a California State tax stamp. They did not seem to be noteworthy or helpful in identifying the decedent at the time. Additionally a Marlboro 100 box was found in the pocket. These were released to the police department at the time of the examination.

We're still waiting on the cemetery to locate their records on this case. We'll be in touch if find out if the decedent was buried or cremated or if we locate any biological material that would be viable for DNA comparison.

I'd assume the tax stamp was from the box of cigarettes.
Yes, I think you are right. If you google on tax stamp California there is only stuff related to tobacco. The way it's described in the case file is a bit strange though. It sounds like it was a different item, I mean apart from the box of cigarettes.

Yes, I think you are right. If you google on tax stamp California there is only stuff related to tobacco. The way it's described in the case file is a bit strange though. It sounds like it was a different item, I mean apart from the box of cigarettes.
Thats what I thought too, they made it sound like it's own seperate thing. I am assuming that the cigarette box was just 1 pack of 20, not a entire carton of 200 as they were in his pocket. So, would 1 packet of cigarettes need a tax stamp?

Thats what I thought too, they made it sound like it's own seperate thing. I am assuming that the cigarette box was just 1 pack of 20, not a entire carton of 200 as they were in his pocket. So, would 1 packet of cigarettes need a tax stamp?
On every packet of cigarettes (every sold tobacco product) is a tax stamp.

Dumb question maybe but can any USians tell me if the way you write ZIP codes has changed? On some online mailing websites I’m using it now autocompletes a 5 digit zip and adds an additional 4 numbers. What’s that about?

Dumb question maybe but can any USians tell me if the way you write ZIP codes has changed? On some online mailing websites I’m using it now autocompletes a 5 digit zip and adds an additional 4 numbers. What’s that about?
The four digit extension is a reference to a more specific location within the 5 digit zip code.
I never specify that 4 digit extension because I have no idea what it is for my address but it does get defaulted in a lot online!

The four digit extension is a reference to a more specific location within the 5 digit zip code.
I never specify that 4 digit extension because I have no idea what it is for my address but it does get defaulted in a lot online!
Thank you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13
Back