CA - Five unprovoked murders of men ages 21 to 54, Stockton, July-Sept 2022 *Reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In the first link is a timeline of the events.

The mysterious Stockton serial killings: A timeline

The suspect could've "easily taken vehicles, taken money, credit cards, but none of that stuff has been taken," he said. "It seems that this person or persons is very focused on the killing -- and very calm and confident afterwards."

All of the victims were alone, police said, and the killings happened at night or in the early morning.

"What we seem to have in common is probably complexion -- it has been folks that are different races, but they have a similar complexion," the chief continued. "The location, the environments have been consistent: It's very dark locations, it's locations where there's not very many witnesses around."

"This is a person that lurks in the shadows," McFadden added. "Our victims are being caught by surprise."

Concerns from the community

The 59-year-old Herron is employed, but has been down on his luck. Some nights he finds himself out on the streets.
His fear is that the Stockton serial killer has targeted people who are alone, often sleeping in tents or cars. And most of the victims are Latino. Herron, who identifies as Hispanic, says that adds to his concerns.

Stockton police say ballistics tests link the serial killer to seven shootings. Six were fatal, including a man in Oakland. Five of the shootings happened since July 8.
Officials says all the victims were ambushed. None were robbed. And there is no evidence of drugs or gang violence.
Ted Leland is CEO of the Stockton Shelter for the Homeless. They house 280 people each night.

"All of us who work in homeless services are concerned about the safety of the people who are on the street. It is not safe out there," says Leland.

None of the victims were his clients. But he says their organization has been in contact with Stockton police.
"Nothing good is happening after dark. If you have to be out, be with someone, be in a lighted area. We're all concerned about what's going on but all the time you need to be concerned about your surroundings," said Chief McFadden.

The chief says that the FBI, ATF, and numerous other agencies are involved in this multi-murder investigation.
---
The police chief says the community is responding, saying that on Wednesday they received 100 tips alone.

Stockton police say they still don't know of any motive and that they are working with state and federal officials on this case.

A $125,000 reward is being offered for any information that leads to an arrest.

Ballistics tests and some video evidence linked the crimes in Stockton and Oakland, about 70 miles (110 kilometers) apart, police said. The first fatal shooting was in Oakland in April 2021. The woman was wounded in Stockton days later. More than a year passed, then the five killings in Stockton took place between July 8 and Sept. 27, all within a radius of a few square miles, police said.
"We don't know what the motive is. What we do believe is that it's mission-oriented," Stockton Police Chief Stanley
McFadden said Tuesday. "This person's on a mission."
Although police would not say whether all seven shootings had been linked to the same gun, McFadden alluded to a single pistol during the news conference.

"I have absolutely no answer as to why that pistol went dormant for over 400 days," between the April 2021 shootings and the first case this summer, the chief said.
"I hate to say this but it's very likely that he will kill again in the near future," says Dr. Bonn who continued saying, "some of these people were homeless and others wandering around at all hours of the night, so he may perceive them as being homeless - so he may have given himself a mission for whatever reason to rid the city of homeless people."

As he <Chief Mcfadden> explains, a woman who survived one of the shootings, has been extremely helpful in creating a suspect profile.
"She did let us know it was a male suspect. She was able to provide us with a height and weight, and that's what we connected with us with the video that we are pushing out," says McFadden.

The Unabomber is white. Could the killer mistakenly thought she was a man?

Sure it’s possible. Although I suspect gender is not especially important to the killer, and that the victims are mostly male just because people hanging/walking around solo in a city in the middle of the night are way more likely to be male.

MOD NOTE:

From our Etiquette & Information (linked in my signature):

NOTE: Websleuths does not condone members becoming personally involved in cases by initiating contact with family members, case players, law enforcement, or the media. This does not preclude responding to a request for volunteers, or utilizing proper channels to report valid information, i.e., "a tip", to law enforcement.

If you submit a tip to law enforcement, do NOT announce it or discuss it in any way on the threads. Doing so has the potential to undermine an investigation.

And from our Social Media Rules:

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Approved group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for..." (usually a page run by family)
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

• Posts by an owner or admin of the above public social media pages may be linked, copied, quoted, or paraphrased. This refers primarily to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, announcements by law enforcement, the admin of an approved group support page (usually a page run by family)
  • NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be linked, quoted, copied or referenced. They are considered rumor. Just don't mention them.

Wondering if inexpensive flashlights could be given to those who are vulnerable to an attack by the shooter?
Regarding the upright posture and uneven gait, could the perp have a sore back, sciatica? speculation, imo.

Oct 7 2022 rbbm.

Please do not fall victim, be alert, have your head on a swivel, stay where it’s lit, communicate,” McFadden said. “We need you, we need your help, we need your tips, and we need you to help not to spread misinformation.”

''As investigators continue their probe in the case, they’re emphasizing that they’re not sure whether the killings were carried out by one person or multiple people, McFadden said.

“At this time, we don’t know if it is a person or persons. As I said before, we have absolutely no evidence that connects a person or persons to any of these incidents,” McFadden said.''

''They’re not talking about any gang activity in the area or anything,” McFadden said. “It’s just element of surprise.”

''All seven shootings happened in dark areas where not many cameras were present. The victims were “alone, often caught off guard, or maybe relaxing in a vehicle or walking alone in almost pitch darkness,” McFadden told CNN’s Kasie Hunt Tuesday.

Further, police believe the suspected shooter or shooters may have conducted reconnaissance during daylight hours before attacking at night, according to McFadden.

“We believe that perhaps this individual, or individuals, may be looking for their area during daylight to anticipate where cameras may be, and what would be the best approach,” McFadden said.''

''The person in the video demonstrates a specific, uneven stride and upright posture, making them identifiable in the video surveillance police recovered, McFadden noted.''

Why is it in seemingly every case with perp video there’s this issue of some kind of weird gait haha

I mean in some, Scott Ratigan for example, the gait truly is very strange and distinct, but I’m starting to think that if people look semi-closely there is some kind of nuance to be noted in pretty much everyone’s gait.

To be clear, this is not meant to be a criticism at all, it looks weird to me too! Just an observation.

Also I would normally put zero stock whatsoever in the posture, but in this case that actually might be important. To me the combination of the very upright posture plus the reflexive crouched shooting stance suggests military training.

Is it possible that the killer moved from Oakland to Stockton between April 10, 2021 and april 16, 2021 ?

Did he after his April 10,2021 get scared that he would be discovered/caught in Oakland and therefore moved out of Oakland to Stockton right after his first murder, and in Stockton at once continued his murders ?
I think police should check out men that moved from Oakland to Stockton in the period april/may 2021,
They probably already have.

(H) Hispanic (B) Black (W) White

2021 Oakland:
a 40-year-old man (H) fatally shot at 4:18 a.m. Apr 10

2021 Stockton:
a 46-year-old woman (B) fatally shot at 03:20 a.m. April 16, 2021
at Park Street and Union Street in Stockton (survived)

2022 stockton:
a 35-year-old man (W) fatally shot at 12:31 a.m. on July 8
a 43-year-old man (H) fatally shot at 9:49 p.m. on Aug. 11
a 21-year-old man (H) fatally shot at 6:41 a.m. on Aug. 30
a 52-year-old man (H) fatally shot at 4:27 a.m. on Sept. 21
a 54-year-old man (H) fatally shot at 1:53 a.m. on Sept. 27.
Regarding timing, the only person attacked on a weekend was the first man, and he was the only person shot outside of Stockton. So perhaps the shooter lives/works in Stockton and happened to go to Oakland that weekend for his first try at shooting people.

The gap in time between the failed killing of the woman in Stockton in April 2021 and those this year may be because he left a witness and he was scared. After a long enough time he probably got his confidence up that they weren't going to be able to identify him.

Why is it in seemingly every case with perp video there’s this issue of some kind of weird gait haha

I mean in some, Scott Ratigan for example, the gait truly is very strange and distinct, but I’m starting to think that if people look semi-closely there is some kind of nuance to be noted in pretty much everyone’s gait.

To be clear, this is not meant to be a criticism at all, it looks weird to me too! Just an observation.

Also I would normally put zero stock whatsoever in the posture, but in this case that actually might be important. To me the combination of the very upright posture plus the reflexive crouched shooting stance suggests military training.
Military certainly comes to mind wrt the crouched shooting, or someone with a keen interest in it.
Gait really has been popping up a lot here in the last few years, and as someone whose gait is sometimes annoyingly compromised, i like to pay attention to such things, maybe start a thread dedicated to gait forensics? imo.
For now.. lengthy & informative ..
Ashish Badiye; Prachi Kathane; Kewal Krishan.

'' In recent times, gait analysis has emerged as an important parameter that can help in personal identification during forensic examinations. The advent of CCTV cameras and other surveillance means has generated interest in the practice and research related to forensic gait analysis and its possible use in human individualization. In 1839, in London, gait analysis entered into the court in the case of Thomas Jackson; he was identified by the witness due to his bowed left leg and walking with a limp.[4][5] However, for the very first time, the forensic gait analysis was used as a means of admissible evidence/scientific evidence in the Old Bailey Central Criminal Court, London, UK, in the case of R v. Saunders by the U.K. based forensic podiatrist, Dr. Haydn Kelly., although, the method of forensic gait analysis remains questionable as far as the reliability and accuracy are concerned.[6][1][4][7] The article discusses forensic gait analysis methods, factors affecting the human gait, its forensic applications and its accuracy, reliability, and admissibility in the court of law.''

''Gait analysis from CCTV footage/video recording: The emergence of CCTV cameras and video recording enabled devices (video cameras, mobile phones, dashboard cameras, surveillance cameras, traffic cameras, etc.) has given a fresh dimension to gait analysis. Currently, video recording and footages from CCTV are used to study the gait of the person.[5] Before the invention and usage of CCTV, the investigating agencies used to rely upon the eye witness who might have 'seen' someone on the spot with a particular 'style of walking.' However, scientific evidence suggests that the discriminative strength of such statements cannot be relied upon as the sole evidence, although forensic gait analysis plays an important supportive role in the absence of other biometric identifiers in the video. The CCTV footage from the scene of occurrence of the offense, surveillance footage, traffic camera footage, dash-cam footage from the dashboard-mounted cameras of the vehicles, mobile phone recording (by the victim, witness or others), etc. should be collected following the established process for collection of digital evidence''

rbbm.
''To utilize forensic gait analysis or gait comparison, a suspect is necessary for comparison. Investigators should be aware that the criminal captured on surveillance video (CCTV) may have visited the crime scene earlier in the day or in the days prior to the criminal act and this earlier video footage may reveal a person of interest. Should a person of interest be identified in the earlier video footage, the gait of the person of interest and the criminal can be compared/analyzed.

Should investigators make an arrest based in part on how the criminal and suspect walk, an expert analysis of the suspect’s walk may be beneficial in helping the jury reach a conclusion that the criminal in the surveillance video and suspect walk with similar gait features (if this is the case). Defendant attorneys may wish to have the manner of walking of their client analyzed by an expert in cases where they believe their client’s gait differs from that of the criminal in question.''

Last edited:
they have already been speculating he kills on the way to and from work.
That could definitely be a possibility, i hope that they have looked at cameras in the surrounding area (even though there isn’t any cameras at the scene) and all the people that may have left work between those times. Which may be very broad but it may be helpful.

I noticed that two of the men were homeless. The woman was shot while she was visiting? and parking her bike at a tent in an encampment. This was not specified, but could this be a homeless encampment too
From previous serial killer cases I’ve noticed that when homeless people are murdered it tends too have less impact in the media. Although times have changed maybe that’s why the killer is targeting homeless (in my opinion). I’ve also seen othe people talk about the fact that he might be a motive oriented killer. By killing homeless people the killer might think he’s benefiting the world by getting ‘rid’ of people they don’t like. Motive killers tend to keep killing until they’re caught or die. That’s just my opinion but they might just be random killings.

Gait really has been popping up a lot here in the last few years, and as someone whose gait is sometimes annoyingly compromised, i like to pay attention to such things, maybe start a thread dedicated to gait forensics? imo.
@dotr. I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't want to make fun of you off course, but somehow your remark made me laugh. Thx. Can't help thinking of the 'minestry of funny walks', Monty Python.

I wondered about a particular case in Stockton so read your link. The case I was thinking of (a Jane Doe) isn't one of the cases, but here is some information from the article:

5 men have been murdered while walking alone.
Physical evidence links the cases.
LE "believes" they are connected.
Investigators have ruled out gang violence, robbery and hate crimes.
The first murder was in July. The most recent in September 2022.

The murders have occured in the north part of Stockton near San Joaquin Delta College.

There is a tip line: 209-937-8167 and tips can be emailed to policetips@stocktonca
Stockton is no joke. You'll see people try to tell you otherwise.

They are lying.

Now almost always it's for a reason, so this is def a serial killer

Military certainly comes to mind wrt the crouched shooting, or someone with a keen interest in it.
For now.. lengthy & informative ..
Ashish Badiye; Prachi Kathane; Kewal Krishan.

'' In recent times, gait analysis has emerged as an important parameter that can help in personal identification during forensic examinations. The advent of CCTV cameras and other surveillance means has generated interest in the practice and research related to forensic gait analysis and its possible use in human individualization. In 1839, in London, gait analysis entered into the court in the case of Thomas Jackson; he was identified by the witness due to his bowed left leg and walking with a limp.[4][5] However, for the very first time, the forensic gait analysis was used as a means of admissible evidence/scientific evidence in the Old Bailey Central Criminal Court, London, UK, in the case of R v. Saunders by the U.K. based forensic podiatrist, Dr. Haydn Kelly., although, the method of forensic gait analysis remains questionable as far as the reliability and accuracy are concerned.[6][1][4][7] The article discusses forensic gait analysis methods, factors affecting the human gait, its forensic applications and its accuracy, reliability, and admissibility in the court of law.''

''Gait analysis from CCTV footage/video recording: The emergence of CCTV cameras and video recording enabled devices (video cameras, mobile phones, dashboard cameras, surveillance cameras, traffic cameras, etc.) has given a fresh dimension to gait analysis. Currently, video recording and footages from CCTV are used to study the gait of the person.[5] Before the invention and usage of CCTV, the investigating agencies used to rely upon the eye witness who might have 'seen' someone on the spot with a particular 'style of walking.' However, scientific evidence suggests that the discriminative strength of such statements cannot be relied upon as the sole evidence, although forensic gait analysis plays an important supportive role in the absence of other biometric identifiers in the video. The CCTV footage from the scene of occurrence of the offense, surveillance footage, traffic camera footage, dash-cam footage from the dashboard-mounted cameras of the vehicles, mobile phone recording (by the victim, witness or others), etc. should be collected following the established process for collection of digital evidence''

rbbm.
''To utilize forensic gait analysis or gait comparison, a suspect is necessary for comparison. Investigators should be aware that the criminal captured on surveillance video (CCTV) may have visited the crime scene earlier in the day or in the days prior to the criminal act and this earlier video footage may reveal a person of interest. Should a person of interest be identified in the earlier video footage, the gait of the person of interest and the criminal can be compared/analyzed.

Should investigators make an arrest based in part on how the criminal and suspect walk, an expert analysis of the suspect’s walk may be beneficial in helping the jury reach a conclusion that the criminal in the surveillance video and suspect walk with similar gait features (if this is the case). Defendant attorneys may wish to have the manner of walking of their client analyzed by an expert in cases where they believe their client’s gait differs from that of the criminal in question.''
How do people with prosthetics walk in comparison to this man's gait?

Military like posture, ability to stealthily avoid detection, crouching while shooting, long gap in killing. How long are people typically deployed for?

It it possible he's a veteran? One who was injured?

This is all speculation ofc, but I'll be shocked if this man doesn't have some kind of military background or interests.

I've gone to 5 of the murder sites, so far, on google maps and went street view. There is always an apartment complex at/near the shooting. Even the one on Kermit ln. At the start of Kermit lane there are apartments. I just started thinking the killer could be parking in apartment complexes where his car might not stand out among all of the other parked cars. Then he walks from there to do the shooting, and then goes back to his car and leaves the area.

How do people with prosthetics walk in comparison to this man's gait?

Military like posture, ability to stealthily avoid detection, crouching while shooting, long gap in killing. How long are people typically deployed for?

It it possible he's a veteran? One who was injured?

This is all speculation ofc, but I'll be shocked if this man doesn't have some kind of military background or interests.
Whether or not the perp is an amputee in either of these unrelated cases or not, below is the suspected perp in the unsolved case in which some consider that he might be an amputee, fwiw.imo

''The video shows the individual walking with an unusual gait in his right leg PHOTO BY TORONTO POLICE SERVICE''
“Through our investigation we have been unable to determine what this individual’s purpose was in the neighbourhood,” said Det.-Sgt. Brandon Price.”I would ask that you pay particular attention to the gait or stride or walk style that this person has on the video.”

''The use of gait analysis in criminal investigations, says Michael Nirenberg, a “forensic podiatrist,” dates back to the 1830s, and has been used a number of times in American courts through the 20th century.''

“What was once an almost accidental source of evidence has become a routine forensic option for some law enforcement agencies,” Nirenberg writes in the book Forensic Gait Analysis: Principles and Practice.

From his initial look at the footage — 22 seconds of the suspect, who appears to be wearing a hip-length jacket, striding along a cleared sidewalk on a snowy night — Nirenberg said he can see distinctiveness in the swing of the suspect’s arm and the tilt of the head. A gait analyst, he explained, would build a head-to-toe profile of the way a suspect walks, in order to link them to footage of a perpetrator.''

rbbm.
''Michael Arntfield, a University of Western Ontario criminology professor and cold case expert, told the Toronto Sun that homicide detectives could possibly be dealing with an amputee as the possible killer of the Shermans.''

“I received a phone call from at least one physiotherapist. In their experience, the subject observed in the video is an experienced amputee,” Arntfield said, adding he doesn’t have the expertise to determine the veracity of the tip but wanted to make sure it was passed on to police.''

Stockton has a system where police are alerted to gun shots. The first Stockton victim said she was shot as a train was passing. Would the noise of the train prevent the system from picking up the gun shots?

The 2022 shootings in July and August are also right next to the train tracks. Is there a way to know if a train passes by at the time of the killings?

The last 2 in September are in what are considered nicer areas, one near Lincoln Center which is a high end shopping center and the other near a school. Wondering if he was getting frustrated that his work wasn’t getting media attention and by moving to those areas he hoped to get media coverage.

Up until the news of it being a serial killer, there was very minimal coverage of any of these killings.

I've gone to 5 of the murder sites, so far, on google maps and went street view. There is always an apartment complex at/near the shooting. Even the one on Kermit ln. At the start of Kermit lane there are apartments. I just started thinking the killer could be parking in apartment complexes where his car might not stand out among all of the other parked cars. Then he walks from there to do the shooting, and then goes back to his car and leaves the area.
Yes, apartment buildings or businesses. The one on West Lane is noted in some MSM articles as taking on place in the parking lot of Popeyes Chicken. There’s a Starbucks next door and then a larger parking lot with several restaurants. Very easy to park and hide.

The one on Hammer was also on the same block as a Burger King and one block down from a 24 hour Jack in the Box that stays fairly busy into late hours since it’s one of the few things open late.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back