CA - Foster parents arrested in connection with murder of Hasanni Campbell - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe in having a good defense lawyer. Everyone is entitled to a vigerous defense. What worries me is these high profile (or wanna be high profile) lawyers who come charging into these type of cases wanting to gain publicity or further some cause or other.

Not saying Mr Burris is this type of attorny but we have seen it before in other cases. It seems as if the victim gets lost in the legal contest. :(

bolded by me.

Exactly! It turns into a contest and that's all they care about: winning. The victim gets totally lost.
I don't know much about Burris. Just that he takes on civil rights cases.

Hope someone keeps us nonlocals informed on what goes on today :)

I'll try, but my tv died this morning--great timing--so that's out. Unless I get a replacement fast. The radio works!
I can't get over to the vigil because of a previous commitment.

[/B]

bolded by me.

Exactly! It turns into a contest and that's all they care about: winning. The victim gets totally lost.
I don't know much about Burris. Just that he takes on civil rights cases.

That's all I've heard about Mr Burris also. But I am sure that some lawyer will end up taking this case pro bono, and there will be an effort to make one or both of the accused into a helpless victim of LE, the media, or public opinion. sigh! What about Hasanni, the real victim?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/31/BA1919GD4D.DTL

No charges against Hasanni's foster mother

"We are not charging her; there is insufficient evidence at this time," Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said.

Her fiance, Louis Ross, 38, remains in custody on suspicion of murder pending a decision Tuesday by the district attorney's office on whether to file charges.

Rogers said he is reviewing the evidence against Ross today.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_13238636?source=most_viewed

The foster mother of Hasanni Campbell, the 5-year-old disabled Fremont boy who is now considered a homicide victim by Oakland police, will not be charged with a crime today, prosecutors said.

Jennifer Campbell, who is six months pregnant, and her fiance, Louis Ross, were arrested Friday in what investigators are saying is a homicide case. Ross reported the boy missing Aug. 10.

I'm not sure how seriously we should take their "not guilty" pleas, since even Philip Garrido, who we KNOW had kidnapped and kept Jaycee Dugard for 18 years, plead "not guilty". Apparently everyone pleads not guilty in the beginning.

What's bothering me is Burris being involved in this. It angers me when an obviously smart man, who MUST know that these people are guilty as he**, tries to play the race card to get them free. Of course, I am jumping to conclusions, but this is what I see coming. I hope I am wrong!!!

[bolded by me]
Hi Columbo: I can think of two big financial reasons why Ross would get rid of Hasanni - he has an insurance policy on the little guy and/or he will sue on the basis of a civil rights violation, hoping to make it big time. I just can't shake the idea he has an insurance policy.

As far as the 'not guilty' plea - there isn't a defense attorney alive who would advise Ross and Jennifer to plead 'guilty'. It isn't up to the defense to prove innocence...it's up to the prosecution to prove guilt. Right now, without a body, that proof will be based on circumstantial evidence only. I would say that if Ross and Jennifer were told to plead guilty - based on our Constitution, that would be negligent advice. mho

So there is insufficent evidence to charge JC at this time. And the article says she refused to talk since being arrested.Wonder if she'll ever be charged? Does her being pregnant have any bearing on this decision?:waitasec:

Just to remind everyone we have a daily current news thread for today's news releases that I started early this morning! :winko: Please add any articles if they aren't already posted.

FYI: *NOTE: If an article is updated that I have posted, I edit the original post adding this UPDATED: that way it is easy for everyone to know that the article has new info, or a new video added, or documents etc. I do the same thing throughout WS's for all article's that I have posted. I only add a video or update anothers if the poster didn't add any new info...video...etc. in new post. I keep this method consistent any where I have posted an article.

Here's the link for those new to WS's:
2009.08.31 Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE ***
2009.08.31 Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE *** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

FYI: I stayed up till the early hours of this morning & added all the images from all of the threads 1-5 for the IMAGE BANK thread! :crazy: The only ones I didn't add were the attachement thumbnail ones that ForsenicsFan & a few others that were posted...if you know you added an image that was a attachement preview thumbnail could you add those for everyone?? TIA

Here's the link that WhyaDuck started for the IMAGE BANK thread:

mage Bank - NO DISCUSSION - Page 2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88352&page=2

I thought this was a good place to let you all know about the above info here since most of us will be in this thread due to the hearing for JC today. :wink: Added no hearing for JC, but still figured this was the best place to post this info..

Waiting......Wondering.......Wanting.......Wishing........Worried.........Our Little Guy Still Hasn't Been Found! :cry: :shakehead: :(

:angel:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/31/BA1919GD4D.DTL

No charges against Hasanni's foster mother

"We are not charging her; there is insufficient evidence at this time," Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said.

Her fiance, Louis Ross, 38, remains in custody on suspicion of murder pending a decision Tuesday by the district attorney's office on whether to file charges.

Rogers said he is reviewing the evidence against Ross today.

Well, this could mean they believe the murder took place that Monday while she was at work, which I am inclined to believe. Her "hysterical" reaction to LR telling her Hasanni was missing when she came to the door might have been genuine... She might still believe it was an abduction, IDK.

I do want her to be innocent. However, even if "all" she is guilty of is knowing for the past 20 days what happened - that's still enough for me to hope she gets something, eventually, if only to protect her unborn baby from the next monster to whom she might tie herself.

Perhaps she will roll on him, still - though this is a lot less likely now that they aren't charging her with any thing.

They need to find Hasanni - that's the bottom line, I think.

Well, this could mean they believe the murder took place that Monday while she was at work, which I am inclined to believe. Her "hysterical" reaction to LR telling her Hasanni was missing when she came to the door might have been genuine... She might still believe it was an abduction, IDK.

I do want her to be innocent. However, even if "all" she is guilty enough is knowing for the past 20 days what happened - that's still enough for me to hope she gets something.

Perhaps she will roll on him, still - though this is a lot less likely now that they aren't charging her with any thing.

It may also mean that they need the body to prove that she did not intervene.

I do want her to be innocent. However, even if "all" she is guilty of is knowing for the past 20 days what happened - that's still enough for me to hope she gets something, eventually, if only to protect her unborn baby from the next monster to whom she might tie herself.

Isn't it sad that so many of these cases come down to how well you hide the body, not if you are innocent or guilty of the crime?

So there is insufficent evidence to charge JC at this time. And the article says she refused to talk since being arrested.Wonder if she'll ever be charged? Does her being pregnant have any bearing on this decision?:waitasec:

Hmmm, methinks they were counting on someone folding and it didn't happen. Bet they don't have enough to hold him either--well, back to my earlier theory I guess.

I don't think being pregnant has much pull any more when there's sufficient evidence, but it is possible it might make them pause if they are not sure of a conviction - why incur the costs of delivering a baby in prison (or the lawsuit resulting from a mishap) if they may just end up letting her go afterwards?

If they had enough evidence, I don't think the pregnancy would bother them.

Hmmm, methinks they were counting on someone folding and it didn't happen. Bet they don't have enough to hold him either--well, back to my earlier theory I guess.

I agree. A calculated gamble that didn't pay off.

I believe in having a good defense lawyer. Everyone is entitled to a vigorous defense. What worries me is these high profile (or wanna be high profile) lawyers who come charging into these type of cases wanting to gain publicity or further some cause or other.

Not saying Mr Burris is this type of attorny but we have seen it before in other cases. It seems as if the victim gets lost in the legal contest. :(

I will say he seems like the type of attorney to do exactly that.
He is labeled as a civil rights attorney but what he really makes his money on is suing the county for "bad" police work, violation of prisoner's rights, and challenging the investigative work.

This case is right up his alley, especially when you consider he has a book to sell.

MOO

Isn't it sad that so many of these cases come down to how well you hide the body, not if you are innocent or guilty of the crime?

Yes. And I keep thinking about how small Hasanni was! It's shameful that these cases almost encourage people to kill the smallest of victims, as they're easier to hide. :(

I don't think being pregnant has much pull any more when there's sufficient evidence, but it is possible it might make them pause if they are not sure of a conviction - why incur the costs of delivering a baby in prison (or the lawsuit resulting from a mishap) if they may just end up letting her go afterwards?

If they had enough evidence, I don't think the pregnancy would bother them.

I was wondering about public opinion. ...you know big bad LE and the courts picking on a poor pregnant lady.

Maybe I am just getting jaded at the accused having all the breaks the victims never get.

Yes. And I keep thinking about how small Hasanni was! It's shameful that these cases almost encourage people to kill the smallest of victims, as they're easier to hide. :(

Also the easiest to harm...physically weaker. What happened to 'pick on someone your own size'?

I was wondering about public opinion. ...you know big bad LE and the courts picking on a poor pregnant lady.

Maybe I am just getting jaded at the accused having all the breaks the victims never get.

I am not sure LE would get a lot of negative press for arresting these two... they are really not all that popular, unless their PR people can pull a miracle to turn the tide. (Enter Burris here.)

Does all this mean that she will be released?

I can't believe LE took this kind of gamble (hoping they would cave) but I guess they did....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meekdoggydogg