GUILTY CA - Gerardo Hernandez, 39, TSA agent, killed, 3 injured in LAX shooting, 1 Nov 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Every single article that I read about Paul during his school years, the people interviewed say he barely talked. One person said that in the 4 years that they went to Sally together, he never once heard Paul utter a word. I'm bothered at how the media is reporting that. Why not dig into that angle and inquire if maybe he was more comfortable signing instead, if maybe that's the reason people don't hear him talk alot. One person interviewed said Paul had a speech impediment. Well is it possible he has a hearing issue?

This is such a tragedy. Kids here that knew him in high school are shocked. I feel so badly for his family, the family of the TSA agent and all those affected by this. I really hope he gets the help he seems to desperately need. JMO

This is such a tragedy. Kids here that knew him in high school are shocked. I feel so badly for his family, the family of the TSA agent and all those affected by this. I really hope he gets the help he seems to desperately need. JMO

Everyone is still in shock. None of this makes sense. It's one thing to get a little political and disagree over certain agenda, but to go so far to one side & harbor hate is crazy. How could he have fallen prey to these ideals & values? It's almost as if he was a closet conspiracist. I personally don't believe he was like that as a kid, or even as a teen...it would have been noticed. His family is devastated. Everyone that even remotely knows them are devastated. Then considering the family of the TSA officers that were shot, as well as all the people in LAX that witnessed this atrocity, it's almost too much. How in the hell could this kid have become like this? HOW? Omg, this is so sad. :(

As far as getting help, since its a federal crime and a federal employee was killed by him, I think it's very possible he could get the dp even if he shows remorse.

I expect the defense will be a mental illness of some type, perhaps previously undiagnosed schizophrenia.

MOO

I expect the defense will be a mental illness of some type, perhaps previously undiagnosed schizophrenia.

MOO

I'm with you.

Question... Could depression be linked with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia? Iow, could it have started out as anxiety, then depression, then progressed into something more?

MOO

Bingo! And it may not just be an alibi---it could be the truth knowing the typical age of onset for male schizophrenia.

Everyone is still in shock. None of this makes sense. It's one thing to get a little political and disagree over certain agenda, but to go so far to one side & harbor hate is crazy. How could he have fallen prey to these ideals & values? It's almost as if he was a closet conspiracist. I personally don't believe he was like that as a kid, or even as a teen...it would have been noticed. His family is devastated. Everyone that even remotely knows them are devastated. Then considering the family of the TSA officers that were shot, as well as all the people in LAX that witnessed this atrocity, it's almost too much. How in the hell could this kid have become like this? HOW? Omg, this is so sad. :(

As far as getting help, since its a federal crime and a federal employee was killed by him, I think it's very possible he could get the dp even if he shows remorse.

Apparently 2 of my kids had met him and said he was quiet but cool. This was over 5 years ago. My kids are the type that seek out the quiet awkward kids and talk to them. I would imagine, with the Feds involved, that he will receive the care he needs. I have been over the bridge to Pennsville many times. It is a really nice community. The Sallies HS kids that I have known were all very polite and nice. It is so hard to wrap my head around all this as I know so many others feel the same. JMV

MOO

I think you are absolutely correct. Is He is at the age where it becomes full blown? IIRC, it is late teens, early 20's?

I think you are absolutely correct. Is He is at the age where it becomes full blown? IIRC, it is late teens, early 20's?

Correct (for *male* onset of schizophrenia, typically)

Apparently 2 of my kids had met him and said he was quiet but cool. This was over 5 years ago. My kids are the type that seek out the quiet awkward kids and talk to them. I would imagine, with the Feds involved, that he will receive the care he needs. I have been over the bridge to Pennsville many times. It is a really nice community. The Sallies HS kids that I have known were all very polite and nice. It is so hard to wrap my head around all this as I know so many others feel the same. JMV

I totally agree. I don't predict any Sal boy to be disrespectful, especially on a national level. It's a good breed, good values are demanded. PV is a small town with alot of glass house living going on iykwim. That's the thing, one would think at least one negative comment would arise, but it doesn't. This family is well liked, they're good people. I'm so darn sad for them. I'm sure the PV churches will pray for them tomorrow. Everyone knows everyone. Gosh... Sad thing is that they'll probably wonder for years if they could have helped him if they'd noticed something earlier, but its not anyone's fault but Paul's and whomever fills his head with this crap.

I honestly am having a hard time vilifying this young man. Perhaps it is because he is my children's age. Perhaps it is because one of my children has controlled MH issues. I just wish he had had the help he needed out in LA. There are so many kids with MH issues that go umdiagnosed,or they are non compliant with treatment and medicine. Despite the best efforts of the parents, more tragedies like this are bound to occur. Maybe this will prompt a referendum on our mental health system in this country. My heart goes out to all those affected by this. The passengers, the airport workers, the families, the young children., the TSA workers. Thousands of people.
I still think of boys his age as kids, not men. Thankfully, this kid has a father who seems to love him. Unfortunately, I doubt there is much he can do at this point to help. Sigh....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/opinion/a-schizophrenic-on-death-row.html?_r=0

Regarding schizophrenia and the death penalty, here is a case where the what the state defined as qualified for the death penalty conflicted with The Supreme Court's definition.

The man was schizophrenic and the state of Florida wanted to proceed with the execution, however his lawyers argued that The Supreme Court's definition regarding mental illness and the death penalty applied to their client.

According to this article: *http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/john-errol-ferguson-executed_n_3709871.html

The man was executed after The Supreme Court denied a final stay of execution. *The man had an extensive history of mental illness prior to his crime and perhaps was more incompetent than Ciancia. If that is the case, even if Ciancia is schizophrenic he likely has a snow balls chance in hell of avoiding the death penalty. *

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/opinion/a-schizophrenic-on-death-row.html?_r=0

Regarding schizophrenia and the death penalty, here is a case where the what the state defined as qualified for the death penalty conflicted with The Supreme Court's definition.

The man was schizophrenic and the state of Florida wanted to proceed with the execution, however his lawyers argued that The Supreme Court's definition regarding mental illness and the death penalty applied to their client.

According to this article: *http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/john-errol-ferguson-executed_n_3709871.html

The man was executed after The Supreme Court denied a final stay of execution. *The man had an extensive history of mental illness prior to his crime and perhaps was more incompetent than Ciancia. If that is the case, even if Ciancia is schizophrenic he likely has a snow balls chance in hell of avoiding the death penalty. *

Cali is no Flori so if a defensive insanity plea can be proven via this Axis I disorder (i.e. Schizophrenia), it will happen & it will take the death penalty off the table.

Holy crap...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/02/lax-airport-shooter-ciancia/3372883/

Gary Strauss, Kevin Johnson and Chris Woodyard , USA TODAY 11:21 p.m. EDT November 2, 2013
Paul Ciancia could face death penalty in the killing of TSA agent Gerardo Hernandez

Snipped:
A federal law enforcement official said that the Smith & Wesson assault rifle used in the attack is believed to have been purchased legally from a Los Angeles-area arms dealer. The official also said authorities were investigating whether a roommate unwittingly drove Ciancia to the airport the morning of the attack.

Snipped:
Bowdich said the handwritten note made it clear that the suspect intended to kill "multiple" TSA employees and to "instill fear into their traitorous minds."

Cali is no Flori so if a defensive insanity plea can be proven via this Axis I disorder (i.e. Schizophrenia), it will happen & it will take the death penalty off the table.

Does the state matter if its federal bc a federal officer was murdered, especially considering more federal officers were targeted as well? Does the murder of a federal officer carry a stiffer penalty as opposed to a civilian murder?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/02/lax-airport-shooter-ciancia/3372883/

epq6g9.jpg

Does the state matter if its federal bc a federal officer was murdered, especially considering more federal officers were targeted as well? Does the murder of a federal officer carry a stiffer penalty as opposed to a civilian murder?

My question as well because the Supreme Court does not mention anything about a certain DSM diagnosis.

From the first article I cited: *http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/opinion/a-schizophrenic-on-death-row.html?_r=0

"The Supreme Court ruled in 1986 that it is unconstitutional to execute someone who lacks the “ability to comprehend the nature of the penalty.” In 2007, the court clarified that a “prisoner’s awareness of the state’s rationale for an execution is not the same as a rational understanding of it” and that evidence of psychological dysfunction may result in a “fundamental failure to appreciate the connection” between his crimes and his execution."

And again, The Supreme decided that the man diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia with a long history of severe mental illness who presented as living in an alternate reality that led him to commit a hideous crime, denied stays of execution based on the above. *

If it is prosecuted at the federal level wouldn't they use The Supreme Court's rulings regarding mental illness and the death penalty.

Wow wow wow... Ciancia shot Hernandez, walked toward the escalator to go up, turned around, saw him moving a little, then turned back & shot him again - shot him dead. Jesus H ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak
Back