GUILTY CA - Gianni, 24, & Sal Belvedere, 22, Ilona Flint, 22, San Diego, 24 Dec 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what looks like skin folds on his neck, maybe some acne. It's blurry though and I do have bad vision. Could be scratches!
The lawyer said injury not attempted suicide and 10news is the source they said a law enforcement source told them it was an overdose but I doubt that is the case because regardless of being in custody you're considered innocent until proven guilty and medical information is private. Not to mention he went to the hospital Sunday I'm sure when he was arrested on Friday evening he was thoroughly searched especially given the circumstances. From what I understand from when I did an internship at Scripps many years ago when someone is in custody and they are suicidal or potential suicide they are put in a camera room with a safety gown over them. I remember one night during my internship they was an inmate who came in and when something goes bad it has to be video taped to protect the hospital and the corrections team he swallowed a bag of mushrooms or pcp I don't remember but when he was arrested they made him walk through one of those scanners similar to TSA and that's how they knew swallowed a plastic bag full of it. It was then I decided I didn't want to work with people haha I remember he started throwing feces it was terrible luckily I was far enough away. If it was Tylenol it would have to be 4500mg but considering his BMI I'd say more than 4500mg.

I still haven't ruled out "hired gun". JMOO

I have a feeling that they are trying to get Carlos to lead them to others.

I haven't ruled out hired gun either. That picture has me wondering though!

Can someone please help, is his name Carlo or Carlos? I've seen both and it makes kind of a big difference when sleuthing.

I haven't ruled out hired gun either. That picture has me wondering though!

Can someone please help, is his name Carlo or Carlos? I've seen both and it makes kind of a big difference when sleuthing.

Carlo, as far as I know, but from my experience, search engines seem to want to make it Carlos anyways. Haven't found much. Have you?

My feeling is that he was stalking Illona and this somehow started the chain of events that ended in murders. I think Carlo also really likes guns and could not get rid of the murder weapon. I really don't think he is a hitman or he would have disposed of the murder weapon.

Carlo, not Carlos. It could be the cops still have not established a motive, IMO. Mercado probably just got stopped randomly at the San Onofre checkpoint because he looked Hispanic. His guns/silencer were confiscated and he was allowed to drive away. This is a border patrol checkpoint. They handed the gun charges off to the state authorities (the DA). Under that scenario, investigators would not normally perform ballistics on the weapons. They would just inspect them to see if they were illegal, inspect the magazines to see if they were illegal, and obviously the silencer was illegal in California. To run a ballistics test -- which required firing the guns into objects -- does not make sense at that point.

However, according to the prosecutor, his DNA was taken at the time of his arrest on April 29. (He bailed out and was charged with felonies May 5). The prosecutor said his DNA was not in the CODIS system until his arrest in April. Bingo, when they run his DNA they get a match, assuming they had already found suspect DNA at the San Diego crime scene and/or perhaps on the steering wheel of Gianni's vehicle in Riverside. If they obtained fingerprints or partial fingerprints, they would also get a match at the time of Mercado's arrest in April. Then and only then do they start doing ballistics on the weapons. And maybe it takes a month to do those tests. Bingo again, they get a ballistics match. Under this scenario, they have their man via DNA or fingerprints or ballistics but they may not have a motive. Still, they have a solid case WITHOUT a motive so they arrest him. Only after his arrest in Mira Mesa do they serve a search warrant and seize his computer. That may help them BEGIN to establish a motive. Listen to that extended Q and A with the prosecutor above, he is specifically asked IF they have a motive. He dodges the question. He also says any motive is still possible.

Keep in mind Mercado has ABSOLUTELY NO CRIMINAL HISTORY until after the murders when he gets caught with the weapons. IMO, that tells me he is not a druggie. The fact that he worked at Target for the past EIGHT YEARS as a stock boy indicates he is not a professional hit man. Of course, somebody could have hired him knowing he liked guns and had a clean record. The cops/prosecutor give no indication that they believe there is an accomplice running around free.

Love or infatuation could still be the motive. But somehow, Mercado had access to know Ilona's pickup routine at the mall. He could have taken out Gianni first and was then waiting for Ilona and did not expect Sal to show up. There are also reports that Mercado rode a motorcycle. Maybe he drove Gianni's vehicle up to Riverside? Who knows. I think the cops are still trying to figure all this out. Certainly, they will be able to track Mercado's cell phone pings that night.

:goodpost: Excellent post tvscum!!! This is exactly the way I see how this played out.

Carlo, as far as I know, but from my experience, search engines seem to want to make it Carlos anyways. Haven't found much. Have you?

Thanks. That's what I thought but even on the FB Justice page it's Carlos a couple of times (or was, might be corrected by now). Probably an auto-correct thing. No, I haven't found much at all either.

Totally unclear to me how this defendant would be linked to Sal/Gianni/Ilona, except by happenstance--as far as we know.

And, it seems like a lucky break that he was apprehended with weapons linked to this murder.

On the other hand, if this guy had any expectation that he would not be ID'ed as the perpetrator, his luck ran out pretty fast.

It's just difficult for me to comprehend it was a random act...I mean, is CM sitting in jail going "I can't believe the random guy I carjacked and shot in the head was the brother and fiancé of the couple I randomly shot in the head and killed in the mall parking lot."

Could be but I just don't see it...:moo:

It's just difficult for me to comprehend it was a random act...I mean, is CM sitting in jail going "I can't believe the random guy I carjacked and shot in the head was the brother and fiancé of the couple I randomly shot in the head and killed in the mall parking lot."

Could be but I just don't see it...:moo:

Per the Deputy DA Brian Erickson it was Not a random act. Otherwise I would totally agree with you!

Erickson would not confirm or deny whether Mercado knew any of the victims, but said “it was not a random act

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/Triple-murder-suspect-to-be-arraigned-Wednesday-264604801.html

What separates a crime from being a random act and potentially not having any connection to the victims?

Darn, it doesn't fit into a nice neat theory as it was when we thought CM worked at the same mall as Ilona. Supposedly, CM worked at the Target in Mira Mesa. How would he know Ilona? How would he cross paths with any of the three?

No criminal record, and then he decides to brutally kill over a crush. You'd think it'd have to be over so much more than a crush. JMO

I just saw a 'forensic files' recently that fit my possible theory here. A restaurant owner and his beautiful wife were shot on the front porch as they arrived home from work. He had a pouch with a few thousand bucks, untouched at his feet.

It turns out that a diner in the restaurant was smitten with the wife. He claimed to have known her back in Nigeria, where she and her husband were from. But no one knows if that is even true.

He bagan stalking her for months and ended up shooting them both in the head. The killer had a job with TSA at LAX for years and had no criminal record.

The cops had a lucky break because they had no leads. But the killer actually kidnapped a coworker to use her vehicle to escape the city. And the coworjker escaped and called 911.

Does anyone know what kind of information needs to be provided by the DA at the status conference?

Does anyone know what kind of information needs to be provided by the DA at the status conference?

Status conferences are generally more of a housekeeping type of meeting between the judge and counsel. So in terms of what the DA has to present at the conference, there generally isn't any presentation of evidence or anything like that. Does that help answer your question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of. I guess when is the DA required to start giving information to the defense such as the discovery process? From what I understand the defense still has not been provided much information. In my office building there are a ton of attorney's who are my neighbors and they were talking about it earlier in the breakroom and despite how open I am on here in my normal day to day I dont talk about my clients or anything else that i have going on I just keep it pretty generic and perky. Is there a time limit before a preliminary hearing?

Status conferences are generally more of a housekeeping type of meeting between the judge and counsel. So in terms of what the DA has to present at the conference, there generally isn't any presentation of evidence or anything like that. Does that help answer your question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the status conference helps decide whether this will be a Death Penalty Trial, but I'm not sure if a status conference is the same as a status hearing.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Status+conference

"...to inform the court as to how the case is proceeding, what discovery has been conducted (depositions, interrogatories, production of documents), any settlement negotiations, probable length of trial, and other matters relevant to moving the case toward trial....."

I believe part of the status hearing is as to whether the Attorney at the initial hearing will be the attorney of record for the entire trial. The family hiring an attorney for the pretrial hearing(s) is not that expensive usually. But the full on triple murder trial will be very costly and most families cannot afford the bills. Also he must have a DP qualified attorney on board, IMO.

In many cases the Judge will appoint the existing Attorney as a Public Defense Attorney and the Court picks up the tab (much like the Anthony case). This way the Defendant cannot claim they were provided no choice of Attorney in cases of conviction.

Therefor once there is an Attorney of record for the long haul Discovery can be ordered and provided.

JMO's

I believe part of the status hearing is as to whether the Attorney at the initial hearing will be the attorney of record for the entire trial. The family hiring an attorney for the pretrial hearing(s) is not that expensive usually. But the full on triple murder trial will be very costly and most families cannot afford the bills. Also he must have a DP qualified attorney on board, IMO.

In many cases the Judge will appoint the existing Attorney as a Public Defense Attorney and the Court picks up the tab (much like the Anthony case). This way the Defendant cannot claim they were provided no choice of Attorney in cases of conviction.

Therefor once there is an Attorney of record for the long haul Discovery can be ordered and provided.

JMO's
Thank you! You need to move to San Diego to keep me out of legal trouble lol jk
Thanks everyone for the answers!

Curious me- I always think of you every time I'm updating the justice site for some reason! You just pop into my head. Just in case your ears ever ring haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper