Identified! CA - Huntington Beach, WhtFem 40UFCA, 18-30, poss name Andrea, Apr'90 - Andrea Kuiper

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for putting it all together here!

Hopefully everyone else will find it useful lol

Re: MontanaMan : a friend of his did reply recently to the inquiry on the city beat website, but since he addressed it to him and not to me regarding andrea, we will just have to wait and see if they catch up and MM gets back to us ....

Yeah; I was googling trying to figure out who he is

Secondly, regarding possible goodwill locations, I made several calls yesterday and will have to revise the area based on my confusion on the area of PCH where she was. The one on beach blvd near the "area Newland " where I thought she may have gone was only open since 1994. Santa Ana and Westminster blvd have been open since the 70's, but seem too far north now to be possibilities.

The best looking option now is probably the Adams ave one only 4 or so blocks from Newland/pCH ... I will try to give them a call today. The folks I spoke to yesterday thought I was a little crazy.... Maybe I can explain myself a little better today :).

Would be nice if we can figure out what bus schedules she had.

Roselvr, I don't know if it's helpful or not, but there are lots of old pics of huntington beach and many other areas at these archives here, and on their flickr stream. Copyright's free on many of them too:

http://ocarchives.com/

Is there anything useful? I don't really have time to pick thru them.

Hopefully everyone else will find it useful lol

Yeah; I was googling trying to figure out who he is

Would be nice if we can figure out what bus schedules she had.

Is there anything useful? I don't really have time to pick thru them.

The bus schedule was Santa Ana to seal beach via Westminster. I checked bus routes and it is not a current route, but did find an old route which seemed probable, just mentioned in an article... I -think - it was 64... Need to recheck that.

ETA bus schedule is from coroners report post 382, and yes it was old route 64 that I saw mention of in passing in an article, will see if I can find that. From that is why I was looking at the two goodwills in Santa Ana and Westminster ave that were around since the 70s. But she was already down to southern HB when she received the money, so it is probably one around there....

Is this the mobile home park? Huntington by the sea?
http://www.mhvillage.com/Mobile-Homes/Mobile-Home-For-Sale.php?key=835365
Lots of pics here too ( current ones)

I think its the Driftwood Beach Club Mobile Home Park with an address on PCH (21462 Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach, CA 92605). http://www.mhvillage.com/Mobile-Homes/Mobile-Home-For-Sale.php?key=898547

Sorry, I didn't realize when I posted the photos that the "Huntington by the Sea RV Park" and the "Driftwood Beach Club Mobile Home Park" were two separate entities. :doh:

I did manage to look through every single one of the pics on the archive before, for Bob. For me, the problem with the Huntington beach ones is they are labelled just that, so I've no idea if any were taken near where Andrea was, as I'm not local

Tbh, many of the older ones look more like an oilfield than a beach to me??

When I get a chance I'll go through them again and maybe post a few links, so locals can let me know if they might be connected to where Andrea was.

Bus schedules - think there was info in one of the articles I summarised about the schedule. I'll pull it up.

Those mobile homes are HUGE! Is there something special about this park?

Someone a few pages back on this thread was talking about the area where she was struck...

Back in 1990 there wasn't really much around that area except fields an power plant and an old mobile home park with a small golf course, which is where she stayed the night before. I had a boyfriend in 1991 / 1992 that had a grandmother that lived in the mobile home park it was mostly very old people, not really a hang out scene at all. I wonder if search for her birth family led her there??

There are housing tracks behind the area that have been there for quite a long time, but it was more of an affluent area with mostly families.

There were not really any stores or night life around at all. At least not until you got to Main Street (That’s where everyone hung out).

Now days there are a Hilton and a large Hyatt resort sort of place that even has a bridge over to the ocean side.

It has changed a lot over the years.

If you cross the street towards the ocean it was nothing but a dark, cold long beach.
Which make me wonder if she was crossing PCH to sit and think on the shore or possibly hurt herself??

Just bumping this has it has another description of the area which I think is useful.

Here is the summary again, though I see there's no more info about the schedule than we already have.

Andrea: coroner case # 90-01853-LY

Andrea’s accident was very bad. She was hit by a white Mazda, then thrown into the path of a Lincoln Continental and ended up pinned beneath it. No charges were filed against the drivers. I doubt any witnesses have forgotten it and authorities who dealt with her case seem to have been deeply affected by it and very, very committed to identifying her. A lot of work has been done, imo. She had a blood-alcohol level of 0.07 and there were traces of cocaine in her system. One coroner said his personal opinion was she was a party girl.

The descriptions of Andrea as brown-eyed, brown-haired and with a buxom/full figure and slight acne scarring are all confirmed. As is the 5ft 4in height and 122lb weight, and the coroner reporting expensive, excellent porcelain dental work. She was in good health. Age 18-30 reported in all the articles from the 1990s.

Her dress is reported as being of black cotton, ‘long’ and ‘ankle-length. It had at least one pocket because the motel key was found in it. Her t-shirt was red and long-sleeved and her sweater was a ‘bulky, hot-pink knit, ‘New Hero’ brand’. The fish nets are reported as being both stockings and hose (does that mean tights?). She was wearing low heeled pink pumps, one of which still had a $19.95 price tag on. It’s reported by the man who gave her money and helped her that the shoes and (some/all?) of her clothes were bought at a Goodwill store. He also said she claimed to be adopted at a very young age, carried no identification and had made the hair ring by cutting her own hair the morning of her death, before she left his house. One article describes her clothing as ‘garish’. An employee of a new-age store in Long Beach called Eye of the Cat had speculated the hair was from a lover and the stone was a charm or worry stone.

Andrea was carrying a smooth black stone, a key with an unmarked orange tag, an Orange County Transit District bus schedule (for the route running from Santa Ana to Seal Beach via Westminster Ave) and $20.30 in cash (no wallet or purse). Also reported as being ‘$18 plus change’. Everyone involved with her case repeatedly mentions her youth, how she was such ‘a young girl’. It does suggest that she was much nearer the bottom of her age range than the top, imo, though one article states she may have been ‘as young as 18’.

The OC senior deputy coroner, Joe Luckey, took a particular interest in Andrea’s case because he was so touched by it:

‘At one point, Luckey carried a sketch of the woman pasted onto an identification card tucked in his wallet.’

He’d initially speculated Andrea was a drifter from out of state and the stone might have indicated membership of a cult because it was a ‘strange thing to be carrying around’. He checked 12 motels, asked everyone he knew personally about her, sent her prints to Cal ID and the FBI as well, and within a year had compared her details to 122 missing persons’ reports: ‘There was always something that didn’t match up’. Her info has been distributed to LE all across the US and hundreds of phone calls have been followed up. She ‘likely has not been arrested in California’.

Several people came forward when Andrea’s death was reported, including three transients who gave one of the following snippets of info each: She was from the East Coast, she was from Virginia and she was ‘adopted and raised in an orphanage’???(my question marks). Another said he had seen her going through a trash bin. One homeless man said he was 100 per cent certain she was the Andrea he had a brief friendship with when they met while he was hitching on the Pacific Coast Highway. She was riding in a car with a man who stopped for him (the hitcher). Andrea told the hitcher she was from ‘somewhere like Virginia’ and ‘another lady she was from New York’.

False hope was raised by a lady in Hampton, VA, a month after Andrea’s death. She knew a young adopted girl working her way to California to find her birth family, but the girl was happily found to be alive and well. Another lady from Tampa, FL, called in April 1992, convinced Andrea was her missing daughter. Luckey managed to trace the woman’s daughter, alive and well, and reunite them. ‘At least it makes it worthwhile,’ he said.

‘I see this as a girl who ran away, a bohemian type, into some kind of a scene – maybe a follower of a certain kind of music, what used to be called punk but is something different now. Her clothing is almost like a costume – thrift store stuff’; Bruce Lyle, supervising deputy, OC Coroner’s Office, April 14, 1990.

April 14, 1990, Bruce Lyle: ‘If she’s not identified soon, I think she’s going to be around here for a long time’.

On June 26, 1992, it was reported if Andrea was not identified, she would be cremated and her ashes scattered at sea.

Information from archive articles in the Orange County Register. Direct links to each article cannot be posted as these are paid-for articles and the link expires. Can be retrieved by a search under jane doe, andrea in OC Reg archives.

I wonder if we can make another post somewhere to sort thru some of this? This thread is so long; the info is going to keep getting buried. Easier to start a new one with all the info we need then discuss from there to pick it apart.

Can we take it to The parking lot?
Once I drive my daughter I can come back & repost those long ones because I have all the code in my email. Will be easier then rebuilding it.

On some of the longer threads, I have wondered if a summary thread or facts thread would be helpful. All the facts, pics, addresses, etc. can go in there for easy reference. Then if any facts are missing we can fill in the blanks. MOO

I sent Carl a PM. If he says yes I'll get started. I'll get her main info; all her UP links then take the long posts I just made over there.

I would say a FB group but some posters do not have accts.

Questions for MM- what kind of shoes did Andrea normally wear?
What did she dress in? Was she wearing the spandex pants or mostly dresses?
He thought she was under 18 & it would make sense because all of the clubs they went to were underage clubs. IMO if she were old enough; she'd be going to regular clubs. Especially if she was looking for guys with money.
It's said that she stole but not from MM. Curious if anyone remembers what she stole.

MM wore John Fluevog shoes which sound like they would be something Andrea would wear too

Angels shoes which seem to fit with her death outfit.

Wiki
During the 1980s, Fluevog was the first to import Dr. Marten shoes into North America. By the 1990s, Fluevog had opened five privately owned and operated stores in Seattle, Vancouver, Boston, Toronto, and New York. His shoes began to appear in magazines such as Vogue, in fashion shows for Anna Sui and Betsey Johnson, and upon the feet of celebrities such as Madonna and Lady Miss Kier. In her movie, "Truth Or Dare", Madonna opens a box of hot pink platform Fluevogs, slips them on, walks toward the camera and says, "Ya like 'em?". Fluevog shoes also were popular in the fashion of the Seattle Grunge movement, particularly his "Angel" boots that included the inscription "Resists alkali, water, acid, fatigue and Satan" on their soles. By the end of the 1990s, Fluevog had stores in San Francisco and Chicago. These were followed in the 2000s by stores in Los Angeles, Montreal, and a new flagship store in Gastown. As of August, 2010 there were 11 Fluevog stores

I was just going to say they looked like Dr Martens. Hadn't read to the end of your post. Coloured ones were popular then too, I think. Now, if Seattle Andrea had favoured a pink pair, I would really get my hopes up she's our Andrea.

I know that when Andrea was found, she had a motel key. I remember when I was a kid (the mid to late 1980s), I used to go to Huntington Beach during the summer with my best friend, her mom, and (sometimes) my friend's older brother. I think the area we used to go to (between lifeguard towers 5 and 7) is sort of near where Andrea was in the accident. I remember we used to pass a motel that had a Hawaiian or Tiki theme where the Hilton is located today. Did they ever check this out to see where the motel key was found? I think there are a couple other motels (near Main St) that were there back and still in business today, too.

I was just going to say they looked like Dr Martens. Hadn't read to the end of your post. Coloured ones were popular then too, I think. Now, if Seattle Andrea had favoured a pink pair, I would really get my hopes up she's our Andrea.

MountainMan DID mention (on his follow up post on the city beat inquiry about his Seattle Andrea) that her favorite colors were black of course! And red and PINK!

Ambercat, I believe the report said 12 hotels/motels were looked into. It did not say which ones.

Did they determine where she had been drinking that night? She was staying in the trailer park with the owners/manager's family, correct? She borrowed some money, bought the shoes....
so was she drinking there? Was she at a bar or club? Having that blood alcohol level plus the coke makes me think she didn't purposefully mean to kill herself. She was either disoriented or stumbled into traffic.

MountainMan DID mention (on his follow up post on the city beat inquiry about his Seattle Andrea) that her favorite colors were black of course! And red and PINK!

Ambercat, I believe the report said 12 hotels/motels were looked into. It did not say which ones.

Andrea, MM's friend, and at least 75% of the other girls in the early Goth scene...

Thanks! I would really like to know more about that. Where did you see that (I can't seem to find any info about it at all, let alone a copy of the key). I guess someone who was attracted to her could have given her a copy of his key, too. This might be plausible if she had been drinking at a bar earlier.

Thanks! I would really like to know more about that. Where did you see that (I can't seem to find any info about it at all, let alone a copy of the key). I guess someone who was attracted to her could have given her a copy of his key, too. This might be plausible if she had been drinking at a bar earlier.

It is in the great coroner's report zweibel found ( posted above #709). I re-read it and saw the two things I was not 100% sure where I saw them, the orange tag on the key and the fact that she left the witness's house after making her hair ring and died that same day. The hair ring is the main thing that makes me think this did not happen accidentally...

What would the closest bar area be to there?

Did they determine where she had been drinking that night? She was staying in the trailer park with the owners/manager's family, correct? She borrowed some money, bought the shoes....
so was she drinking there? Was she at a bar or club? Having that blood alcohol level plus the coke makes me think she didn't purposefully mean to kill herself. She was either disoriented or stumbled into traffic.

No idea on where she was drinking, maybe we can figure out the closest bars. Apparently there was not much in the immediate area, so it very well could have been at the mobile home park, too. Where did you see the owner/manager info? It sounds familiar, but can't find it.

No idea on where she was drinking, maybe we can figure out the closest bars. Apparently there was not much in the immediate area, so it very well could have been at the mobile home park, too. Where did you see the owner/manager info? It sounds familiar, but can't find it.

Sorry Mrs. T, I was a little off on that. from Doe Network:
"Andrea" also spent a night at the home of a mobile-home salesman who took pity on the homeless woman who had few articles of clothing and no money. The family fed her, gave her the back bedroom and gave her some money. "Andrea" apparently took the money and bought clothes at a Goodwill store...

For some reason, I thought the salesman was the manager of the mobile home park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
primelectrics