Found Deceased CA - Ian Powers, 32, Levi's Stadium, 49ers game, Santa Clara, 12 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When you look into one of these cases, look at what the local TV & newspaper reports.

I’m about 10 miles from the stadium and heard the report on the TV. The next day someone asked if I’d heard more about it. I hadn’t had the TV on and it was too late for the news, so I looked on the net. I ran across web sleuths at that time and it seemed your information was lacking some of her comments. I thought I’d give you some links.
(I’ve never been to that stadium so I don’t know details about it.)

The local (San Jose) major newspaper is mercurynews.com, but it didn’t seem to have much. I didn’t check the San Francisco or Oakland papers or any of the smaller community papers. I didn't check any of the Spokane media.

The TV stations that would cover this include KPIX, KRON, KGO, KTVU. Our news is filled with the Camp Fire fire and its effect on the SF Bay Area air, but they have covered this missing man a little. In particular, the girlfriend says various things on various interviews. Perhaps this can help clarify the timeline at least of their interaction at the end of the game. (GF = girlfriend; Sorry, these are not ordered by time)
GF: “We kept Facetiming and missing each other a million times and then we would talk for a minute and try to find each other. I got a text from him at 8:40 but said just ‘Hey Baby’ and that was it and that was the last time I heard from him.”

Narrator: His car was later found in the parking lot where he left it.

Police Search For Man Who Went Missing From 49ers Game

Police Search For Man Who Went Missing From 49ers Game
Narrator: [They couldn’t get hold of each other] She then waited by his car in a parking lot nearby but Powers never arrived and she thinks his phone died. The girlfriend had to take a bus with her two kids back to their hotel near his family in Concord.

GF: “He never got a chance to talk to us like after we made it back to the hotel. He [didn’t know where] me and the kids were. He wouldn’t have disappeared and not called.”

Man attending 49ers game goes missing during bathroom break

GF: “He never would have just disappeared like that. And uh he never would have not called or not checked on me and the kids to make sure we made it back to the hotel”

Narrator: Cell tower data indicates his cell phone was near Great America Parkway and Tasman Drive. … She joined the search near where they had parked along Patrick Henry Drive.

GF: “We were talking about meeting at the car. And then … we.. me and the kids were in the bathroom and I called him when we got out and he said he was by the entrance and we were trying to find him. Um..Like the video chatted for a minute and then got disconnected.”

Surveillance video shows missing 49ers fan leaving game during 4th quarter

Police: His exit out the stadium starts about 8:52.
GF: “I have no idea and there’s been no bank activity, cell phone activity or anything to give us any idea as to what happened yet.”
GF: “We kept Facetiming and missing each other a million times and then would talk for a minute, try to find each other.”

Man attending 49ers game goes missing during bathroom break
Surveillance video shows missing 49ers fan leaving game during 4th quarter

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/11/14/ian-powers-missing-49ers-fan-levis-stadium-mnf/
“Police said the man, Ian Powers, 32, was reported missing Tuesday morning after last speaking to his family around 10 p.m. Monday.”

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...d-of-missing-49ers-fan-leaving-levis-stadium/
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/v...d-of-missing-49ers-fan-leaving-levis-stadium/
https://abc7news.com/sports/49ers-f...night-football-game-at-levis-stadium/4688398/
"It's incredibly unlike him," said Sean Powers, Ian's uncle. "He's probably the most responsible person in my family."

http://www.ktvu.com/news/new-evidence-emerges-in-case-of-missing-49ers-fan

http://www.levisstadium.com/stadium-az-guide/ : There is a maximum of two (2) alcoholic beverages per purchase. All alcohol sales will be discontinued at the end of the third (3rd) quarter or earlier at Levi’s® Stadium Management’s discretion.

Welcome to Websleuths, M T !!!​

Thank you for compiling this list and transcribing some of those quotes — lots of great info there, IMO.

With the cell tower indicating his phone pinged near Great American Pkwy and Tasman Dr, this intersection seems to be where the Citrix building is, which would make sense if that’s an area where the video chat occurred based off the still image (not sure, just speculating).

I also wonder if the car was parked in the Blue Lot, which seems to run along Patrick Henry Dr.
http://www.levisstadium.com/plan-your-visit/parking-lot-maps/

Now it's the 8:40pm "hey baby" text that is the last time she heard from him? I thought it was the 10:00pm FaceTime/video chat? Did she accidentally give the wrong time of the text in the interview? Sounds like in theinterview she is saying the FaceTime videos happened first and the 8:40pm text was the last communication she had?
(About the 1:30 mark in this video)

"Hey baby" does not sound like an argument. Anyway, I cannot see her leaving him there, missing after having drinks. And wouldn't she know how many drinks he had? Also, is it common knowledge that if you leave you cannot re enter?

Someone asked if he is a smoker. Do we know if he found the car? If so why isn't he near it?
I am not a man but dont men pee anywhere when drinking? Why would he have to pee in or near the water? not that we know he did that, but it was mentioned. Something is missing.

and easy for me to say , but I would have called for help immediately. I dont care if he was drunk or had a warrant (not saying he has one) or whatever. There is SOME REASON she waited til the next day. We just dont know the reason.

I would not leave my loved one there, especially impaired and with the keys to the car. not blaming the gf but I am very puzzled for her reasons for waiting til the next day to report him missing. I am old and I am a worrier

Last edited:
Search continues Thursday for Spokane man who mysteriously disappeared in Santa Clara after 49ers football game
The 32-year-old was first reported missing Tuesday morning by his girlfriend, when she said he didn’t return to a hotel room after the game. The woman, who was there with her two children and some members of Powers’ family, told police he went to use the bathroom in the fourth quarter at around 8:15 p.m. and never returned.

After the game was over, however, Kazem said Powers sent text messages and participated in a Facebook video call with his girlfriend and family as they coordinated a place to meet up outside of the stadium.

“Some of the responses from Mr. Powers weren’t very reasonable or didn’t make sense,” Kazem said. He added that Powers was reportedly drinking at the game, though his level of intoxication is unknown.

Kazem said that, with the evidence available, investigators are stumped on whether Powers is a victim of a crime, or simply walked away and became incapacitated due to a medical issue.

“Unfortunately, as much as I wish we had one of those directions to focus on, we still have not gotten anything specific to lead us down that path,” he said. “All avenues and possibilities remain open and on the table.”

The smoke prevented the helicopter being used on Wednesday. Unfortunately, it looks like the smoke will be as bad until Sunday or possibly Wednesday(rain!).

I believe the reporter’s reference to 10PM is erroneous. I haven’t heard that time from the police or the girlfriend.

I don’t see anything too strange about what I’ve seen. Whether out of frustration with the game, or a full bladder that makes him not to want to wait in long lines, he takes an early run to the bathroom. Makes sense to me.

As the game ends, he doesn’t want to swim upstream through the fans leaving to get back to his seat. Makes sense.

Maybe she waits at the seats for a while, but eventually makes her way to the bathroom with the kids. I don’t know how long the lines are (at other venues lines are often many minutes long) but that could take a while. It sounds like he initiates one or several FaceTime while they’re in the bathroom and she doesn’t take it/them. There is a text at 8:40. She calls (FaceTime??) him at some point. Makes sense

There is a mention of meeting at the car. He then(?) is exiting at 8:52. Makes sense.

The GF & kids get to the car at some point. He doesn’t show up. They have no keys; it is late & the kids are likely tired and maybe cold (44F at 10PM; overnight low 36F). I would expect she is angry, or disappointed, with him. She is resourceful and finds a way home, even if not the fastest or easiest.
Google Maps shows a 2 hour 40 minute Bus/BART trip Monday night at 10:30PM. That's about an hour more than someone driving from Concord & picking them up. (While there are issues on BART, I haven't heard any safety issues on the south bay buses.) Makes reasonable sense. (But, if someone (perhaps the uncle) drove to pick her up, they'd have spent the night looking for him.)

Patrick Henry is some distance from the stadium. Great America Pkwy (“G.A.P.”) and Tasman is on the route to it, but is only half way to Patrick Henry. There are 2 hotels (cabs, bars, bathrooms, front desk staff, security cameras,…), a convention center, and 2 businesses (more cameras) at that corner. Nearby, on Tasman, is a light-rail station. Judging from the satellite views, it is likely his parking lot was the Blue parking lot. On a Monday evening, I doubt he used a parking space around an office building on Patrick Henry or Tasman. (There are several bus stops on Patrick Henry and Tasman.)

It seems reasonable that his phone stopped working before he got to the car. Perhaps it quit before he realized he was lost (if he was).

San Thomas Aquino Creek is between the stadium and G.A.P. Calabazas Creek is just beyond Patrick Henry. Literally, this area has had no measurable rain for 6 months, so there wouldn’t be much water. I’ve no personal experience with either, but both appear in satellite photos to be about 10 to 15’ wide, but I expect they are quite shallow. Yes, an unconscious person could drown, but I can’t see a body being moved downstream. However, approximately a half mile away is a salt pond in Alviso. I have no idea how deep it would be (probably shallow).

He was wearing the home team’s jersey, so it seems less likely that he ran into someone from the opposing team and got into a fight. My impression is that Santa Clara is a pretty safe town, especially in open spaces in the area he was last known to be. To me, the x-factor is the football crowd. There have been a few fights related to 49ers games, but I haven't heard anything about crimes there (not to say there aren't, just that it hasn't made the news).

The girlfriend’s different tidbits about the communications the two had seem possibly inconsistent or at least garbled. But I don’t know that I would recount things any better. She doesn’t seem as emotionally disturbed as I would expect to be. I don't know why she would do a video capture during a Facetime, but I will sometimes accidentally do a screen capture on my iPhone.

One scenario is that he asked for help from someone who recognized he was by himself and not necessarily in control of himself. I’d rather think he met some woman and one thing led to another, leaving him too ashamed to check in with his girlfriend. As bad as that might be, it is better than the first scenario. A life insurance scam seems unlikely (slow payout, if any). Maybe to go missing to avoid someone threatening him?

wait wait. HIS family members were at the game? Were they seated together? Did they have a vehicle? Are these details correct? If he wanted to disappear I cannot see him doing the facetime and texts or maybe I am misthinking this. This is just too weird.

Being that some of his responses weren't "very reasonable or didn't make sense" makes me fearful he may have been jumped and someone else had his phone. Was facetime the last contact or the "hey babe"?

I also can't get Cory Barron out of my mind. Police believe he fell 5 stories down a trash chute at Progressive field in Cleveland in 2014.

wait wait. HIS family members were at the game? Were they seated together? Did they have a vehicle? Are these details correct? If he wanted to disappear I cannot see him doing the facetime and texts or maybe I am misthinking this. This is just too weird.
I have my doubts this bit of information is correct. If there were other family members at the game why would they allow the gf with two kids go on a long late bus ride to the hotel? It makes no sense, it would seem pretty uncaring imo.

"Hey baby" does not sound like an argument. Anyway, I cannot see her leaving him there, missing after having drinks. And wouldn't she know how many drinks he had? Also, is it common knowledge that if you leave you cannot re enter?

Someone asked if he is a smoker. Do we know if he found the car? If so why isn't he near it?
I am not a man but dont men pee anywhere when drinking? Why would he have to pee in or near the water? not that we know he did that, but it was mentioned. Something is missing.

and easy for me to say , but I would have called for help immediately. I dont care if he was drunk or had a warrant (not saying he has one) or whatever. There is SOME REASON she waited til the next day. We just dont know the reason.

I would not leave my loved one there, especially impaired and with the keys to the car. not blaming the gf but I am very puzzled for her reasons for waiting til the next day to report him missing. I am old and I am a worrier

Hey baby can be a comment thrown out after an argument and storm off seeking to be civil again. It would explain why she didnt call LE til the next day because storming off emotional when drunk could be common? (Ive done it a few times but usually to my car or something)

Me too. I deleted my earlier comment when I saw that, and the mention that they had been communicating about trying to find each other -- I had been writing out my theory which envisioned his communication to her to be along the lines of "I'm going to go [X] and will be back later..."

I hope all tucked away staircases and stairwells have been searched too -- I'm remembering a story of a woman (patient? visitor?) who got lost inside a major hospital and was found days later in a stairwell from which all doors were locked...
BBM

The case of Purdue University freshman Wade Steffey comes to mind. He went missing for several weeks only to be found deceased.

It was later determined that he entered the unlocked residence hall utility room and tripped and fell onto a transformer and was electrocuted.

Cameras had placed him in the area, but this room was not properly searched.
:(
(Trying again eta to add link: Body identified as missing Purdue student Wade Steffey

Being that some of his responses weren't "very reasonable or didn't make sense" makes me fearful he may have been jumped and someone else had his phone. Was facetime the last contact or the "hey babe"?

I also can't get Cory Barron out of my mind. Police believe he fell 5 stories down a trash chute at Progressive field in Cleveland in 2014.

Oh wow, I agree. The odd responses sure could be coming from someone who had harmed/robbed him. Bought time in such a scenario.

The area around Levi Stadium is very safe. People walk from surrounding apartments and cheaper private parking lots to the stadium. Some of them are a mile or more away from the actual stadium. I don’t see him getting into trouble. I do see him going to a bar or restaurant to have more drinks. Have the local bars and pubs been checked out?

Oh. My.Gosh. There are.

And wow: from your article: “This is the second time that a woman’s body has been discovered in a stairway at the hospital. In late 2013, 58-year-old Lynne Spalding, a patient at SFGH, was found dead in a stairwell weeks after she was reported missing.”

Wth? Two times?!
I'm sorry for being crass but doesn't anyone smell these bodies?

Hello all. First time poster here. Not sure if this will be useful information but this photo of Ian Powers was reversed. I compared it to the sticker/logo on the hat from an earlier photo at the game. I've corrected it and it appears to be the Citrix sign in the background. This would have placed him roughly in the nearby Hilton parking lot.

Good catch! I can see where the white portion could be a sign.

And now, I can see what appears to be a black vehicle.

Time will hopefully tell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow
Back