Found Deceased CA - Ian Powers, 32, Levi's Stadium, 49ers game, Santa Clara, 12 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I live across the street from Levi's (Lafayette Street) and was at the game that night. Yesterday, I met some of his family members while they were out searching for him. I had suggested to them to search the Alviso area and all of the trails that surround the bay there. I know exactly where the ramp to the marina is and have stood on that exact same dock many, many times. This is approximately a 2 mile walk or so from the stadium. If this is Ian, which I pray it is not, and if he were to walk down Lafayette, it would have been extremely dark for him, as there are not many street lights heading that direction. Plus, with the current alerts we are receiving regarding the condition of the air due to the smoke from the fires up north, the visibility makes it even more difficult to see, especially in dark areas. My point is, it would make it very easy for someone not familiar with this area to get lost.

How terrible.

None of the other stations nor the San Jose newspaper had this story Saturday night.
Fishermen made the gruesome discovery near the Alviso Marina Saturday afternoon.
"I was told it was about a mile out from the boat ramp," officials said.
Here is a map with Levi's Stadium at/near the bottom and the boat ramp marked.

The ramp puts a boat into the meandering Alviso Slough. From there to the SF Bay is 4.5 miles (joining Coyote Creek (4mi) just before the Bay). The two creeks that Ian walked over flow into Saratoga Creek and then into Guadalupe Slough. The two sloughs are separated by Salt Pond A8, which is not connected to the bay or the sloughs. Beyond that salt pond is another area that looks like a former salt pond whose walls have been breached so it shares water with the two sloughs. (That area is 2.8 miles from the boat ramp.)

We'll have to see if they indicate the body was in the Bay or in either of the two sloughs. If it is in the Alviso Slough, he somehow was transported far from the parked car to the east or north side of the stadium or out along the dark walkway along the salt pond, around to Guadalupe River (which becomes Alviso Slough)

The flow of the Guadalupe River (upstream at US101) was about 31 cubic feet per second at the time Ian disappeared.

How much water is in Calabazas Creek (w of Patrick Henry) and San Tomas Aquino Creek (w of the stadium)? I expected the water level and flow would be too little to move a body.

MT - It is very shallow. It looks deeper than it actually is. If I had to guess it can't be more than knee deep, at most. Most areas are even way less deep than that.

Does anyone know at approximately what time the fisherman found the body Saturday afternoon?
I just checked CrimeMapping.com and CrimeReports.com for San Jose, but nothing matches (finding a dead body is not a crime). It appears that Santa Clara doesn't report info to those sites. S.Clara police dept web site has an arrest log (current) and a police blotter (most recent is Nov 9).
So nothing more than the KGO report.

Good catch. The site said a low tide was at 3:59PM

Thanks, this does help! I believe this was called in around 2:50PM PST or so. Listening to the archived police and sheriff dispatch to see if they give any type of clothing description. I remember hearing a bunch of sirens driving past my place around that time of day and heading in the direction of Alviso. Must have been in regards to this? :(

I hate to say this but I think its going to end up being him. I really hope I am wrong, though. His aunt was telling me yesterday that there is no way he was drunk. She said they believe someone slipped something in a beer he was offered by some NY Giant fans that had left their seats to buy beer (came back and offered him one). She told me that the police were looking into this and were trying to track down who those fans were. I really hope that did not happen to him. NEVER accept a drink from someone you don't know, peeps! No matter how friendly they seem to be!

I find it VERY hard to believe that a fan of a rival sports team would go to a game prepared to drug someone from the opposite team. I think that aunt is wishfully thinking he didn't get drunk all on his own.

I live in Chicago so the story of the young woman who died after becoming intoxicated and wandering into a hotel freezer was widely reported. Actually, the freezer did not lock once you went in which was determined in the investigation. You could open the door from the inside. But she did not open it likely given her condition and died. (She had acute levels of alcohol and prescription drugs not prescribed to her in her system). The area she was in was a closed part of the hotel. She was not a guest and was not a minor which is why the hotel didn't call LE when the Mom first said she was missing. She was at a party in a room booked by someone with a stolen credit card so who and where she really was at was not easily ascertained. Hotel freezer where woman was found dead did not have lock, according to source Kenneka Jenkins' death ruled accidental; alcohol, drug found in system
There was a bit more to this story at the time it was happening in ‘real time ‘. There were allegations that she may have been sexually assaulted and she was with her BFFs who lost sight of her literally within seconds and there were issues with CCTV cameras etc
To be fair it did all seem suspicious and there were and still are anomalies that still have no answers
She was a good girl and straight A student and the prescription drug was a ‘slimming’ drug
There was also a phone video taken where again allegations were made that you could hear some males at the party discussing sex assault/rape etc on her
It wasn’t and isn’t a straight up case
She had a shoe on and a shoe off next to her when found, superficial scratches , in clothing disarray, and body temp not matching the length of time allegedly in the freezer which incidentally was out of bounds and apparently not easily accessible if you didn’t know where it was plus that area was under construction so nobody around there and freezer not normally on ... a whole host of hhhmmmmm’sss which could be innocent or something more sinister
It’s a long thread if you want to look through it
I was obsessed with this for weeks !
MOO

Thanks, this does help! I believe this was called in around 2:50PM PST or so. Listening to the archived police and sheriff dispatch to see if they give any type of clothing description. I remember hearing a bunch of sirens driving past my place around that time of day and heading in the direction of Alviso. Must have been in regards to this? :(

I hate to say this but I think its going to end up being him. I really hope I am wrong, though. His aunt was telling me yesterday that there is no way he was drunk. She said they believe someone slipped something in a beer he was offered by some NY Giant fans that had left their seats to buy beer (came back and offered him one). She told me that the police were looking into this and were trying to track down who those fans were. I really hope that did not happen to him. NEVER accept a drink from someone you don't know, peeps! No matter how friendly they seem to be!

Someone asked his girlfriend (in the comments under the article on her FB), if Ian was in any disagreements with other fans during the game? She replied, No, that he’d actually made friends/joking around with fans during the game.

I’ve been lurking and following the thread..all I have to say is:

Damn it. :(

Praying it’s not him but if it is...I hope they figure out what happened and who was involved if a crime did in fact take place.

Also praying that if it’s not him they find out who it is and they find the deceased’s family.

Do you think there are cameras all around the parking lots?
How about the seats in the stadium?

Last edited:
I live across the street from Levi's (Lafayette Street) and was at the game that night. Yesterday, I met some of his family members while they were out searching for him. I had suggested to them to search the Alviso area and all of the trails that surround the bay there. I know exactly where the ramp to the marina is and have stood on that exact same dock many, many times. This is approximately a 2 mile walk or so from the stadium. If this is Ian, which I pray it is not, and if he were to walk down Lafayette, it would have been extremely dark for him, as there are not many street lights heading that direction. Plus, with the current alerts we are receiving regarding the condition of the air due to the smoke from the fires up north, the visibility makes it even more difficult to see, especially in dark areas. My point is, it would make it very easy for someone not familiar with this area to get lost.

Thank you for your post.

Why would someone do that?
As you all can tell, this case really gets to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back