UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am at a George Strait concert in SLC tonight and I just walked past Sky Lazaro. She is very beautiful in person, but I really wanted to talk to her
I believe she was once a model. She sure knows how to dress. And I loved how she made a grand entrance into the courtroom and would sashay up to the lectern. It added a little spice to the proceedings, as if we needed more…. Well, yes, I most assuredly did.

Yep, too bad you didn’t get to talk to her. What would you have said?

There are so many countless examples where people lead double lives and family members are astonished the person was capable of committing the crime.

That's why our evidence based justice system is excellent. Doesn't matter what character witnesses said 200 years ago when they used that.
But then, you read stuff like her mom’s live-in girlfriend died of an overdose, and you’ve gotta wonder about prior acts and/or family bias…

Shhh... it's been quiet in here. Remember way back when these threads were hopping? I will miss SL. She did a great job. Huge loss for KR.

Quick reminder on upcoming dates:

My records show:

-- Status hearing on August 8 @1:30 pm PT (not confirmed, anyone else?)

-- August 15 (no time yet) Civil case

-- August 26 to August 28 Judge Mrazik reserved these dates for the preliminary hearing to determine whether KR will stand trial on murder and drug charges

moo

imo, I too thought more would be exposed about the mother's girlfriend's unfortunate demise.

We shall see. moo

March 19, 2024

Deputies began looking into Darden around the time her daughter was arrested for Eric’s death, according to a search warrant executed on May 4, 2023. It was unsealed in November.

The search warrant states Darden was living with a woman she was in a relationship with in 2006. The woman died unexpectedly in April, and an autopsy showed the cause of death was drug poisoning caused by an oxycodone overdose.

I haven't followed this case closely, but am reading what people have posted on it in here. This was the first I've heard of her mother's partner dying from a drug overdose. That certainly does seem suspicious to me. Was that death investigated or suspected to be foul play in any way? Did the victim have known substance use history? And did Ms Darden receive any insurance money or benefit in some way from her death?

This method of killing a person does seem to me that it could be a way for someone to get away with murder, literally. Obviously, not always, just look at this case in question of Kouri Richins (alleged murderer). But it seems like if you just don't do anything stupid, you might get away with it... might not even ever be a suspect. I would imagine "doing anything stupid" would include the most obvious -- telling someone you did it. Most people find that a very tough secret to keep, imo. Another obviously stupid mistake would be buying/upping life insurance on the victim shortly before their death. What else might lead LE to suspect someone in such a case? Telling inconsistent stories or lying to police, basically just looking guilty? Because absent any actual physical evidence, like a video of someone injecting the victim or forcing pills down their throat or spiking their drink with the drug, it seems like it would be just your word against theirs, and they're dead, so their words will never be heard. People die from drug overdose all the time unfortunately.

What was it in KR's case that led them to suspect her? Because her husband did have a past history of substance abuse, didn't he? But that was in his past, and he didn't at the time he died? I'm curious what it was that made LE start investigating his death as a murder and her as a murder suspect?

I haven't followed this case closely, but am reading what people have posted on it in here. This was the first I've heard of her mother's partner dying from a drug overdose. That certainly does seem suspicious to me. Was that death investigated or suspected to be foul play in any way? Did the victim have known substance use history? And did Ms Darden receive any insurance money or benefit in some way from her death?

This method of killing a person does seem to me that it could be a way for someone to get away with murder, literally. Obviously, not always, just look at this case in question of Kouri Richins (alleged murderer). But it seems like if you just don't do anything stupid, you might get away with it... might not even ever be a suspect. I would imagine "doing anything stupid" would include the most obvious -- telling someone you did it. Most people find that a very tough secret to keep, imo. Another obviously stupid mistake would be buying/upping life insurance on the victim shortly before their death. What else might lead LE to suspect someone in such a case? Telling inconsistent stories or lying to police, basically just looking guilty? Because absent any actual physical evidence, like a video of someone injecting the victim or forcing pills down their throat or spiking their drink with the drug, it seems like it would be just your word against theirs, and they're dead, so their words will never be heard. People die from drug overdose all the time unfortunately.

What was it in KR's case that led them to suspect her? Because her husband did have a past history of substance abuse, didn't he? But that was in his past, and he didn't at the time he died? I'm curious what it was that made LE start investigating his death as a murder and her as a murder suspect?
Here’s the affidavit to search KR’s Mother’s cell phone and a snippet of what’s in it:

D81D3F7B-3DE3-41ED-88EF-157154992360.jpeg

Aug 3, 2024 #AreYouWithMe #fentanyl #overdose

Was Kouri Richins Mom Involved In Eric's Death? | Uncovering The Truth With Profiling Evil
Profiling Evil provides an overview of the case and looks into the #murder of #EricRichins in #Utah. Was he #poisoned with #fentanyl #drug #overdose or did he consume it voluntarily. #AreYouWithMe #grief #author #preliminaryhearing is coming up. Kouri Richins, the children’s book author who famously wrote a book on grief about the sudden death of her husband — and then was accused of fatally poisoning him — may not be the first woman in her family to allegedly off a romantic partner, investigators believe. #Lisadarden

Thursday, August 8th:
*Motions Hearing (Murder case) (@ 1:30pm MT) - UT - *Eric Eugene Richins (39) poisoned with a lethal dose of fentanyl by wife on Mar. 3, 2022 in Kamas. - *Kouri Darden Richins (33/now 34) arrested (5/8/23) & charged (6/5/23) with 2nd degree aggravated murder & 3 counts of possession of drugs with intent to distribute. [These charges were dismissed on 3/25/24-see recharges]. Re-charged (3/25/24) with 2 counts of 1st degree criminal homicide aggravated murder (DV), 2 counts of 2nd degree distribution of a controlled substance, 2 counts of 2nd degree mortgage fraud (Iron Bridge Financial & Boomerrang Finance), 2 counts of 2nd degree insurance fraud & 2 counts of 3rd degree forgery. Held without bond. Bond denied (6/12/23). DA will not seek DP (8/18/23). 3rd Judicial District Court Summit County
Civil case [#221200316]: After Kouri failed to show evidence she complied with the agreement, Justice Court Judge Brendan McCullagh found Kouri guilty of the assault on 5/13/24.
*Civil case vs Katie Richins Benson. Property dispute.
Judge Richard Mrazik presiding. Prosecutors Patricia Cassell & Brad Bloodworth & Defense attorneys Kathy Nester & Wendy Lewis.

Case & court info from 6/5/23 thru 5/22/24 reference post #192 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ted-death-last-year-may-2023-3.711978/page-10

5/24/24 Update: The new team—Salt Lake City attorneys Kathy Nester & Wendy Lewis need time to meet with Richins & look over the evidence. “I understand there are multiple terabytes of discovery,” Lewis told the court. Judge Mrazik appointed Nester & Lewis through a court order on 5/23/24 hearing. The judge asked Lazaro to ensure that case documents are sent to the new attorneys quickly. Lewis said it is hard to say how much time she will need to prepare for a preliminary hearing on 6/18/24 & asked to set a hearing in mid-June where they could schedule the preliminary hearing. That hearing was set for 6/21/24 @ 3pm for an in-person hearing.
6/21/24 Update: Richins appeared in 3rd District Court Friday afternoon for a scheduling conference where Judge Richard Mrazik reserved 8/26 to 8/28/24 for the preliminary hearing to determine whether Richins will stand trial on murder & drug charges. Richins was also in court yesterday [Thursday] to schedule her next appearance for a property dispute with her late husband’s sister, Katie Richins Benson. She’ll be back in front of Judge Mrazik for the civil suit over the Richins’ family home 8/15/24.
8/5/24 Update: Motions hearing on 8/8/24 @ 1:3pm, Motions hearing on 8/15/24 @ 1:30pm (Civil case) & preliminary hearings from 8/26 to 8/28/24 @ 9:30am.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back