CA CA - Ilene Misheloff, 13, Dublin, 30 Jan 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
yes amber schwartz garcia disappeared 6 months before michaela and Ilene disappeared 2 months after Michaela.....some one caught kidnapping another child took credit for amber but there was Nothing to indicate he really did.......they identified this guy he has been serving time for killing a woman way back when he is on trial now because they linked him with dna to the murder of 2 teenagers back at the time and the east bay...

they had the partial palm print from the scooter from the michaela garech kidnapping ( finger prints go into the system not palm prints) but they have pulled it out over the years when ever they though someone could be a possibility. this time they had several suspects they thought might match...THIS guy was in the group and his palm print matched the one on the scooter he took michaela..he could well have taken amber and ilene

Dublin police review Ilene's case any time officers hear of someone else being investigated for a similar crime, said Capt. Nate Schmidt in an email. Dublin officers will contact Hayward police, Fremont police and the Federal Bureau of Investigations to determine whether there are any links between the disappearances of Ilene and Michaela.

Ilene went missing Jan. 30, 1989 while walking home from Wells Middle School. Police offered a $95,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for her disappearance.

Ilene's parents, Mike and Madelyne "Maddi" Misheloff, never gave up hope that their daughter would be found. They held an annual candlelight walk along the route she took home from school. Mrs. Misheloff died in April after a nearly two-year-long battle with bladder cancer.

Dublin Police Take Another Look At Ilene Misheloff Cold Case

Ilene Misheloff was last seen walking home from school in Dublin on Jan. 30, 1989.

"Definitely piqued our interest and sparked us to look into this individual to see if there's any links to our case as well," said Nate Schmidt, Captain with Dublin Police Services.

Misheloff's father says he hasn't considered the possibility Misch could be responsible for his daughter's disappearance.

"Most of the times it's just not the same person," said Mike Misheloff.

Every year, the family walks Ilene's path home from school in her honor. But this past April, Misheloff's wife passed away.

"I'm thinking, 'no that I just can't do it this year.' It's very difficult and without my wife I don't know how I can do it," said Misheloff.

Dublin Police are holding out hope for the Misheloff family that Ilene will still come home.

If that's not the case, they want to provide answers and closure, just as Hayward PD did for Garecht's family.
Decades later, charges filed in Michaela Garecht case bring relief to Hayward

Although so far nothing directly ties David Emery Misch to the 13-year-old's disappearance, both kidnappings occurred in the Bay Area within a few months and no bodies were ever found. The disclosure that police are investigating the 59-year-old convicted murderer already in prison for killing a woman in Hayward in 1989 comes as the 32nd anniversary of Ilene's abduction approaches.

"This is one of the ones I take personally," said Dublin Police Capt. Nate Schmidt, who worked the cold case investigation in 2004 and 2005.

Ilene's father, Michael Misheloff, remembered the call from his wife, Maddi Misheloff, about 6 that evening. Ilene was not home when Maddi returned from work. Maddi learned Ilene never showed up at the ice rink where she liked to practice.

"The words she used are, 'Ilene, she's gone,'" Michael recalled. "I said, 'What are you talking about?' She said, 'She's gone.'"

As Michael made his way home from work in Silicon Valley, his wife called the police.

"I kept thinking there must be some other thing that happened," Michael said. "I drove to the rink and there was this crowd and police, and I realized how serious the situation was … After that, the next couple of days are very confused."

Michael said it is important to "close the books" and know who took his daughter.

"I won't be totally as healed as I would be as long as the case is open and the perpetrator is still around," he said. "I think the most important thing is to put him in a place where he can no longer get out and hurt somebody."
New Suspect Considered In Mischeloff Disappearance

Although so far nothing directly ties David Emery Misch to the 13-year-old's disappearance, both kidnappings occurred in the Bay Area within a few months and no bodies were ever found. The disclosure that police are investigating the 59-year-old convicted murderer already in prison for killing a woman in Hayward in 1989 comes as the 32nd anniversary of Ilene's abduction approaches.

"This is one of the ones I take personally," said Dublin Police Capt. Nate Schmidt, who worked the cold case investigation in 2004 and 2005.

Ilene's father, Michael Misheloff, remembered the call from his wife, Maddi Misheloff, about 6 that evening. Ilene was not home when Maddi returned from work. Maddi learned Ilene never showed up at the ice rink where she liked to practice.

"The words she used are, 'Ilene, she's gone,'" Michael recalled. "I said, 'What are you talking about?' She said, 'She's gone.'"

As Michael made his way home from work in Silicon Valley, his wife called the police.

"I kept thinking there must be some other thing that happened," Michael said. "I drove to the rink and there was this crowd and police, and I realized how serious the situation was … After that, the next couple of days are very confused."

Michael said it is important to "close the books" and know who took his daughter.

"I won't be totally as healed as I would be as long as the case is open and the perpetrator is still around," he said. "I think the most important thing is to put him in a place where he can no longer get out and hurt somebody."
I receive that newspaper and I just read that story this evening. Heartbreaking the new details he revealed about how he wasn't able to see his wife Maddi for the last month as she was dying of Cancer, due to the Covid restrictions. He dropped her off in the parking lot of the hospital, and that was it... (And I'm also unfortunately too familiar with this hospital ER).

DUBLIN — Police are looking into whether a man charged recently with killing 9-year-old Michaela Garecht in Hayward in 1988 is linked to the unsolved disappearance of Ilene Beth Misheloff, a Dublin teenager believed abducted on her way home from school and never seen again.

<modsnip: snipped to comply with 10% copyright law>

Last edited by a moderator:
Ilene Misheloff Annual Candlelight Vigil Canceled; Goes Virtual

Stay tuned to the Dublin Police Department Twitter account Saturday for messages from her father and Police Chief Garrett Holmes.
Courtney Teague, Patch Staff
verified-patch-staff.svg

• Posted Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:14 pm PT
candles-memorial-vigil-obituary-patch-renee-schiavone___29150033381.jpg

This will be the 32nd anniversary of Ilene Misheloff's kidnapping. (Renee Schiavone/Patch)
DUBLIN, CA — Thirty-two years after the disappearance of Ilene Misheloff, 13, of Dublin, an annual candlelight vigil in her honor will not be held this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Her father, Mike Misheloff, and Dublin Police Chief Garrett Holmes will instead post messages Saturday in her honor on the police department's Twitter account (@DublinCAPolice).

Ilene vanished Jan. 30, 1989 while walking home from Wells Middle School. Police offered a $95,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for her disappearance.

Ilene's parents, Mike and Madelyne "Maddi" Misheloff, never gave up hope that their daughter would be found and held annual candlelight walks along the route she took home from school. Mrs. Misheloff died in April after a nearly two-year-long battle with bladder cancer.

The Dublin Police Department is in the process of taking another look at Ilene's case after David Misch, 59, was charged with murder with special circumstances last month in the disappearance of 9-year-old Michaela Garecht in 1988, who disappeared outside of a Hayward market. He has been in prison since 1989 for a Hayward murder and is currently in Santa Rita Jail awaiting trial for a 1986 cold-case double homicide in Fremont.

Dublin police review Ilene's case any time officers hear of someone else being investigated for a similar crime.

Police are still following up with the Federal Bureau of Investigations, and police departments in Fremont and Hayward to further the investigation, said Dublin Police Capt. Nate Schmidt in an email Thursday.

Anyone with tips about Ilene's disappearance will remain anonymous and can contact Dublin Police Sgt. Alan Corpuz at 925-833-6670.

I had the opportunity to interview Maddi and Mike by phone two years ago, ahead of the 30th anniversary of their daughter's disappearance. In addition to their openness and honesty, I was struck by how hopeful they remained that Ilene's case would be solved, that they'd be reunited with her again one day.

I share that hope for the family.

The late Maddi Misheloff said it best when she told me in 2019: "Anyone that has any information that they have kept to themselves, call the police. It doesn't matter ... Getting her back is what matters."

Anyone with information about the case can contact Dublin police Sgt. Alan Corpuz at 925-833-6670. Tips can remain anonymous. There remains a $95,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for Ilene's disappearance. To learn more, visit dublin.ca.gov/ilene.

https://www.danvillesanramon.com/news/2021/02/07/what-a-week-remembering-ilene

Came here after needing a change from the Gabby Petito/Brian Laundrie case and seeing this in LinasK's signature. This case, as well as those of Amber Schwartz-Garcia and Michaela Garecht really affected me as a young girl as they were all so close in age to me (especially Michaela.) I always hope that answers are found. Commenting to keep this thread alive.

I was watching old episodes of “Unsolved Mysteries” on YouTube today and my thoughts turned to Ilene!

I know this is probably a dumb question but in the initial investigation did they clear Ilene’s skating coach (coaches?) of any possible involvement? I realize that her parents were contacted by the coach, or one of them, to let them know she never made it to the lesson but is there any possibly the coach could have kidnapped Ilene, locker her in their home and then went back to the rink in time for the lesson and phone Ilene’s parents telling them she didn’t show up?

I know it sounds far fetched but it’s just a thought I had.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BunnyLugsCacti
Back