GUILTY CA - Jason Allen, 26, & Lindsay Cutshall, 22, slain, Jenner Beach, 15 Aug 2004 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jason and Lindsay were camped at Fishhead Beach along Calif Route 1 north of the town of Jenner. This is a relatively unpopulated area with some small town scattered along the coast. To get to Fishhead beach you must park in some "pull out" area along the highway and walk along a short trail down a bluff to the beach. There is no overnight camping allowed but Law Enforcement would be unlikely to bother anyone otherwise not making trouble. At night, it would be a reasonable assumption that anyone parked in the Pull Out area was camping on the beach.

The gun used was some type of Marlin .45 caliber. This type a gun fires a very large bullet and was once popular for Big Game hunting but it has fallen into disfavor because it is not accurate at long distances. It is still popular as a collector's item. It is not particularly rare or unusual.

Jason and Lindsay knew no one in the area. The odds of anyone recognizing their vehicle was nil. Realistically, they were a victim of an entirely random act of violence. It is possible that someone who lived locally saw them parked there and got an evil idea. Perhaps they drove back to their house for the gun. The small number of people living in the area works against this scenario. More likely, someone who lived to the east or the south in the more densely populated urban or suburban areas and who was familiar with the Sonoma Coast knew that people frequently camped along the coast and would be easy prey. Since nothing was stolen, it would seen the only motive was to kill for the sake of killing. As horrifying as this is as a motive, it is reassuring that very few of these type killings ever occur.

The only real evidence is that a beer bottle of a brand only sold in Sonoma county was found near the crime scene and DNA was found but there was no record on CODIS. It is possible that it was a random piece of beach litter but it was given a lot of publicity and no one has come forward admitting to leaving it there.

I agree with Kristen83, it will not be solved unless someone talks or a DNA "hit" ls made.

Murders on California Beaches are surprisingly rare and usually turn out to be situations where the victim knew the perp. It is highly unlikely that this one is tied to ones that occurred decades ago. The guy Zook sounds like n interesting suspect but does the DNA match? If it did, he would have been charged. Apparently it didn't.

These journal entries found in a structure near the crime scene are interesting but we don't know what they said. The "Devil Carvings" seem creepy and cult-like but they are not that different from the sort of "art work" you see at the beach.

Sonoma County Beaches are very different from the typical Beach Situation people associate with California. The beaches where you see crowds sunbathing, swimming or surfing are generally in Southern California. North of Santa Barbara, the water is pretty cold and the weather can be cold, windy and foggy. By the time you get north of San Francisco, People do not go in the water (except the occasional hard core surfer with a wet suit). Often people don't even wear bathing suits; they wear sweats and windbreakers and try to situate themselves so that they are out of the wind. People often construct shelters out of drift wood, which litters the beaches.

On weekends during the occasional hot spell, beaches like Fish Head can be a little crowded but much of the time, it is a place you can go and have a little privacy.

I'm a journalist and filmmaker local to Sonoma County. I'm interested in hearing more about this case and any theories that any of you may have.
It's baffling to me that such a crime in this area has gone unsolved for so long.
- Are there any similarities to other cases?
- Could this be a random act of violence?
- Any theories that haven't been followed by law enforcement?
- Is information on this case (case files, evidence, crime scene pictures, etc.) available to the public?

Jeremy Baril
jeremymbaril@gmail.com

I'm a journalist and filmmaker local to Sonoma County. I'm interested in hearing more about this case and any theories that any of you may have.
It's baffling to me that such a crime in this area has gone unsolved for so long.
- Are there any similarities to other cases?
- Could this be a random act of violence?
- Any theories that haven't been followed by law enforcement?
- Is information on this case (case files, evidence, crime scene pictures, etc.) available to the public?

Jeremy Baril
jeremymbaril@gmail.com

Welcome jeremym. :)

:welcome5:

Anyplace else to watch this? When I click on the video I'm required to sign in w/ Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account.

I haven't been able to find anywhere else to watch it. This isn't helpful to you, but FWIW, I have a Facebook and haven't been able to view the presser either. Seems other people have been having the same problem too. I'm very anxious to hear the news!

"Today at 10:30 AM the Sheriff’s Office will have a press conference regarding major developments in the 2004 Jenner double murder case. The press conference will be held at the Sheriff’s Office building at 2796 Ventura Avenue in Santa Rosa. Please arrive by 10:15 AM. No additional information will be provided until the press conference.

A KRON4 reporter will be at the news conference. We will update this story immediately with developments."

Wow! After all this time! Good job investigators!

Do we know anything about the perp? He has a very strange Facebook page.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back