GUILTY CA - Jason Allen, 26, & Lindsay Cutshall, 22, slain, Jenner Beach, 15 Aug 2004 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I grew up in the area and have been to the beach where Jason and Lindsay were murdered. I love the ocean and this is a particularly beautiful spot. I often go there because, ironically, it is where I feel closest to God. I have always been interested in this case because Jason and I share the same last name although we are not related and because of how profoundly it disturbs me that such a terrible thing could happen there. That being said, Fort Bragg, Jenner, Bodega Bay..that whole area draws many many people; many of whom are not good people. They prey on the tourists and the locals. It is one of the most beautiful places on this earth and can be one of the most deadly as well, with the winding highway, the thick fog, the mighty ocean and the ever changing weather. As it was August, that is the peak of the tourist season so it really amazes me that there were no witnesses.

Posted: 2:47 pm PDT July 21, 2009Updated: 10:10 pm PDT July 21, 2009
JENNER, Calif. -- Sonoma County investigators confirmed Tuesday that a “survivalist” living in the wilds of New Mexico who died in a shootout with authorities was a “person of interest” in the unsolved murder of a couple on a Jenner Beach in 2004.Capt. Matt McCaffrey said similarities in the slaying of a couple on a Vancouver Island, British Columbia, beach in 1972 that had been linked by a fingerprint to Joseph Henry Burgess, 62, had made him a prime suspect in the Jenner murders.McCaffrey told KTVU that Sonoma investigators were “optimistic, yet realistic” when it came to Burgess as a suspect in the slayings of Jason Allen, 26, of Zeeland, Mich., and Lindsay Cutshall, 22, of Fresno, Ohio.The couple who had been working as counselors at a Christian camp were shot at close range as they slept on the beach.McCaffrey said that Sonoma investigators would soon be traveling to New Mexico to search through Burgess’ belongings for clues that would link him to the Jenner murders.According to McCaffrey, Burgess was considered a “person of interest” within days of the Jenner slayings. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/20134178/detail.html

Posted: 2:47 pm PDT July 21, 2009Updated: 10:10 pm PDT July 21, 2009
JENNER, Calif. -- Sonoma County investigators confirmed Tuesday that a “survivalist” living in the wilds of New Mexico who died in a shootout with authorities was a “person of interest” in the unsolved murder of a couple on a Jenner Beach in 2004.Capt. Matt McCaffrey said similarities in the slaying of a couple on a Vancouver Island, British Columbia, beach in 1972 that had been linked by a fingerprint to Joseph Henry Burgess, 62, had made him a prime suspect in the Jenner murders.McCaffrey told KTVU that Sonoma investigators were “optimistic, yet realistic” when it came to Burgess as a suspect in the slayings of Jason Allen, 26, of Zeeland, Mich., and Lindsay Cutshall, 22, of Fresno, Ohio.The couple who had been working as counselors at a Christian camp were shot at close range as they slept on the beach.McCaffrey said that Sonoma investigators would soon be traveling to New Mexico to search through Burgess’ belongings for clues that would link him to the Jenner murders.According to McCaffrey, Burgess was considered a “person of interest” within days of the Jenner slayings. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/20134178/detail.html

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...e-suspect-in-Jenner-slayings-dies-in-shootout

Joseph Burgess, a fugitive wanted in Canada for a 1972 double murder was shot and killed by Sheriff Officers in New Mexico after he killed another officer at a shotout during a stakeout in a cabin in the Mountains of New Mexico. Burgess has long been considered a POI in the murder of Jason and Lindsay although the conection was based soley on the similarities of the two murders 35 years apart. There was never any forensic connection and there were no known ties between Burgess and the two Jenner victims or with the Russian River area. There have been other young couples murdered in similar fashon in the western US and Law Enforcement will take another look at Burgess. He was a fugitive with a murder warrant hanging over he head so he has managed to keep a very low profile where ever he went. We may never find out.

I was hoping that they would break this case someday. Here's hoping they find some evidence to link him to Jason and Lindsay's murder.

Why would anyone kill these young people? Can anyone come up with a possible motive?

Joykilling. Or perhaps some gang with a qualifying rule--you have to kill some random strangers. There was a backpacking couple killed on a beach in California, I believe for that reason, although I could be mixed up.

Some teen with free-floating aggression and parent issues takes his dad's gun "to go hunting." He's wandering around in the woods with a loaded gun and something he's pissed about, some privilege taken away, some pleasure denied. Comes across two people in love, snuggled up together, not a care in the world. Such peace and pleasure enrages him. Bang. Bang. Take that, dad!

Just speculating, don't be hating.

Another news article here:

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/loca...allen_and_cutshall_murders_killed_in_shootout

22 July 09

A man thought to be connected to the murders of two youth ministers with West Michigan ties was killed in a gunfight that also claimed a sheriff's deputy.

Joseph Henry Burgess, 62, died July 16 in a shootout with Sgt. Joseph Harris and Deputy Teresa Moriarty in a cabin in La Cueva, New Mexico. Harris was fatally wounded during the skirmish while Moriarty was not injured.

The two Sandoval County Sheriff's Department officers had staked out the cabin hoping to capture the mysterious burglar known for breaking into local cabins to get food, clothing and occasionally liquor. Police say the Jemez Mountain burglar known for years only as the Cookie Bandit was Burgess.

Burgess was identified through his fingerprints. They were in a national database from the 1972 murders of a young couple camping near Tofino on the west coast of Vancouver Island in Canada. Investigators said they found his prints on the belongings of Leif Carlsson and Ann Durrant.

Burgess has been described as a religious fanatic who often ended his phrases in, "Amen." Canadian investigators suspected he may have become outraged because Carlsson and Durrant were sharing a tent but weren't married.

His name also surfaced in the similar killings of Jason Allen of Zeeland, Mich. and Lindsay Cutshall of Ohio who were found shot to death while camping in California in August 2004. Police wondered if Burgess was the killer.

more at link

Prayers for Joseph Harris' family and loved ones. What a devastating loss for them. It has been a rough summer for New Mexico Law Enforcement.

Hopefully the families of the others killed get answers regarding Burgess' involvement one way or another.

It certainly seems as though he is/was a good candidate to be the killer of both couples discussed but it will probably be impossible to confirm given his elusive lifestyle and other factors. Circumstantially he sure seems to fit the bill.

I wonder if he had an encounter with them prior to killing them or if he was just psychotic and assumed they weren't married. Given what has been said about these kids, I am sure they tried to be kind to him.

Le is looking for hideouts and campsites for evidence...

Officers said they plan to scour the wilderness for evidence, like weapons or bullets that could link Burgess to several other crimes around North America.

Detectives north of Phoenix said they are looking at Burgess as a suspect in a 2003 double murder there.

A young couple camping were shot and killed as they lay in the bed of a pickup truck.

http://www.koat.com/news/20209946/detail.html

UNM professor Dirk Gibson, who has profiled serial killers, says he wouldn't be surprised if Burgess kept a journal.

"It's not uncommon. I've done a study on a thousand of these guys and diarizing is very common," he said.

State police plan on searching the mountains for a few days. But they say they'll take as long as needed.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1054587.shtml?cat=517

Interesting. I hope he did keep a journal, and LE finds it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/07/homicide_suspects_dna_bullets.html

31 July 09

Police said today that a DNA sample and a .45-caliber round taken from a potential suspect in the California slayings of Jason Allen and his fiancee Lindsay Cutshall do not match evidence found at the murder scene.

Sonoma County sheriff's investigators, however, say the lack of a tie does not exclude Joseph Henry Burgess as a person of interest in the Aug. 2004 homicides of the Christian camp counselors.

Authorities traveled to New Mexico last week to try and link Joseph Henry Burgess, 62, to the oceanside crimes near Jenner, Calif.

more at link

A new Cold Case web flyer for the Cutshall-Allen case has been created:

BOLO Flyer

The the reward listing on the previous flyer has been corrected as the current reward for the Cutshall/Allen case is now $60,000. The updated flyer is here.

It's very sad this case has not been solved. I can't imagine the agony their parents go through on a daily basis, it's one thing to lose your child to murder but then to not know who and why, terrible. There's several plausible theories on this one....was it a hate crime against their religious beliefs? Did they see something they weren't supposed to see? Was it just a thrill kill by someone who didn't have anything better to do? Was it someone they knew from their past? A jealous ex?

If I remember right, their belongings, money etc were not stolen, correct?

It will only be solved if 1. someone talks or 2. a DNA match pops up some day.

Her father seems to have mentioned a lot over the years that it may have been a hate crime over their beliefs. I'm guessing it may help him cope with his grief to think that their deaths had meaning, that they were "martyrs for Christ". I personally think this theory is the least plausible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamesturner781
Back