CA CA - Jeff Joseph, 45, Hoopa, 21 June 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
my understanding is they are inside. Ive never been there so, maybe they don't even exist. However, Karen Pearson did say she saw Jeff at closing time, he came in and got a sandwich and some other snacks. Somehow I think she was confusing the last time he was up there for the month before. Just makes no sense how she could have seen him at closing time that weekend. my mapped out route doesn't show jeff in the area until way after they closed on fri night/ sat morning and , i do not believe Jeff made it to Saturday night........I have no more PI on the case at all anymore. that's just an FYI. I have no idea why as he didn't even tell me, just gone....no clue what happened but, just throw it in the mystery pile...
I just checked for cameras on the front of Pearson's Grocery, and didn't spot any. So where are these filmed-over cameras located?

Jeff Joseph's missing persons case from June 21, 2014 is a real mystery. It sounds like he came up to the area frequently to check things. The money order aspect of his case is kind of interesting.

One thing about going on an airplane is that I have read you should never put any type of money in your luggage. You should always put money in your carry-on bag. So did Jeff Joseph have a carry-on bag when he made his flight to California? That might mean he had to stop at the post office in California if he decided it was best not to carry any large sum of money on him.

When I go to the post office or one of those western union type places, I always worry that someone might be waiting outside or overhear my money order transaction and wait to follow me out. I cannot imagine that those type of robberies have not happened at these places across the country. So maybe checking records for criminals that have gotten caught for that type of crime might lead to a name.

At least with some missing persons cases you have a general idea from where they were last seen. The only thing you have in this case is that Jeff Joseph was probably in the area last pinged by his cell phone and that is it. Even the vehicle is missing. That is why missing persons cases are some of the toughest to solve. You have very little to go on and often no place to start.

If they had cameras, surely after almost 3 years, everything has been taped over??? see, the thing is, we asked for all these things which is so frustrating but, LE at the time said he was voluntarily missing so, would not make any of this a priority. We had a PI who, did none of this but was supposed to.... it's sooooooooooooooooo soooooooooooooo frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my understanding is they are inside. Ive never been there so, maybe they don't even exist. However, Karen Pearson did say she saw Jeff at closing time, he came in and got a sandwich and some other snacks. Somehow I think she was confusing the last time he was up there for the month before. Just makes no sense how she could have seen him at closing time that weekend. my mapped out route doesn't show jeff in the area until way after they closed on fri night/ sat morning and , i do not believe Jeff made it to Saturday night........I have no more PI on the case at all anymore. that's just an FYI. I have no idea why as he didn't even tell me, just gone....no clue what happened but, just throw it in the mystery pile...

I'm so sorry Peace. I can't imagine your frustration! I wish I had the power to fix this. :heartbeat:

Jeff Joseph's missing persons case from June 21, 2014 is a real mystery. It sounds like he came up to the area frequently to check things. The money order aspect of his case is kind of interesting.

One thing about going on an airplane is that I have read you should never put any type of money in your luggage. You should always put money in your carry-on bag. So did Jeff Joseph have a carry-on bag when he made his flight to California? That might mean he had to stop at the post office in California if he decided it was best not to carry any large sum of money on him.

When I go to the post office or one of those western union type places, I always worry that someone might be waiting outside or overhear my money order transaction and wait to follow me out. I cannot imagine that those type of robberies have not happened at these places across the country. So maybe checking records for criminals that have gotten caught for that type of crime might lead to a name.

At least with some missing persons cases you have a general idea from where they were last seen. The only thing you have in this case is that Jeff Joseph was probably in the area last pinged by his cell phone and that is it. Even the vehicle is missing. That is why missing persons cases are some of the toughest to solve. You have very little to go on and often no place to start.

Good post. Excellent idea about checking for opportunistic criminals robbing people doing money transactions. Thanks. This is indeed a tough case. :(

I'm plopping this long article on the thread, not implying that it applies to Jeff at all. I expect that he was a responsible grower. But I think it's important to understand the damage being done to the environment by "trespass grows" on public land like national forests or even uninhabited private property. Water is diverted from streams, ruining the ecosystem. Pesticides and rodenticides are killing wildlife, contaminating soil and water and being found in the marijuana itself...even that grown for medical use.

Humboldt and Hoopa are mentioned as areas where this is a huge problem. This isn't news to anyone who reads LoCO or Kym Kemp. Even if a grow is destroyed by LE or abandoned by growers, damage to the land remains and the leftover poison stays behind...in bottles, etc. There is not enough money or personnel to clean it all up. Scientists studying this damage are risking their lives, as are LE...either from poison or from vengeful growers. Read this and weep...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carte...y-california-194700553.html?soc_src=social-sh

ETA: I must give credit to John Chiv for posting this. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Were nearby junk yards checked for his car being brought in around that time?

Were nearby junk yards checked for his car being brought in around that time?

Good question about the junk yards. I'm not sure where the closest ones are...perhaps Arcata or Eureka. But when I lived on acreage in southern Humboldt plenty of people just pushed their old cars over a bank on their property and let the blackberries cover them. One neighbor had a car graveyard on his 40 acres. I guess they didn't want to go to the trouble of towing them somewhere miles away. :dunno:

you are correct.... i hot dead end after dead end and no one (law enforcement or PI) to help me... so..... i had to take a break for my own sanity. I'm sorry I have not been on to respond. I have meltdowns and just have to step away..:(

you are correct.... i hot dead end after dead end and no one (law enforcement or PI) to help me... so..... i had to take a break for my own sanity. I'm sorry I have not been on to respond. I have meltdowns and just have to step away..:(

{{{{{{{{{{Peaceofmind}}}}}}}}}}}} We understand. You've done way more than some families do. You have to take care of yourself. I wish we had more ways to help find Jeff. Right now all we can do is support you.

:grouphug:

Peaceofmind, we understand that you must do some emotional bending so that you don't break. You are in a tough place mentally.

Since the P.O. is on the way to his property on Highway 96, I wonder if he went to the post office to get his mail before his possible meeting with Hunter or before arriving at the property. There's probably not much to learn unless the postmaster talked to him, saw Jeff with anyone and/or he seemed worried or upset, etc. You never know what people remember that they didn't think was important at the time.
It's probably a silly question but has anyone emptied his mailbox since he went missing? The mail that is/was in it could indicate when he was last there perhaps. Also, do the post offices keep records of money orders issued? And what happens to post box contents after a certain time?

Post office boxes are closed when their rental fees are no longer paid. The mail in them is held for a time before being returned. Sorry I can't recall the hold period (30 days??), but I am sure any mail in the box has long since been returned to sender. Money orders are tracked internally for the purpose of auditing the clerks, but I am uncertain how to gain access to those records unless you could involve the Postal Inspectors.

Post office boxes are closed when their rental fees are no longer paid. The mail in them is held for a time before being returned. Sorry I can't recall the hold period (30 days??), but I am sure any mail in the box has long since been returned to sender. Money orders are tracked internally for the purpose of auditing the clerks, but I am uncertain how to gain access to those records unless you could involve the Postal Inspectors.

Ok. Was Jeff's paid up very long in advance? If he was planning to leave voluntarily then he surely wouldn't pay for a post office box very far in advance, I would imagine. Also family could have perhaps paid and extended the post office box as well. If he cancelled his post office box, that could also mean he was not planning to come back to the area. Did the police check on that at all?

I was also wondering If there were any issued or uncashed money orders that could be traced via the post office or if they were cashed elsewhere after he disapppeared perhaps.

Also did he have a paid up in advance contract phone and have any records been requested for that?

I'm sorry if this is repeating anything that has already been covered but I cannot remember these things being mentioned before.

Peaceofmind...I'm re-posting my suggestion to you from post #206 back on March 23. At this point in the investigation, keeping Jeff's story publicized is the most productive thing you can do. I know this feels daunting when you're depressed and frustrated, but it's the single most important thing you can do right now and it will very likely make you feel better. :)

"One thing I would definitely do is to ask both LoCO and Kym Kemp to run new stories on Jeff on the anniversary of his disappearance. Contact reporters at the TV stations and ask them to interview the detective and you about the case (You can Skype). Start cultivating relationships with reporters now, so they get interested enough to run a story in June. If you've made a video about Jeff's disappearance it can be part of the story and be linked. I've had some success with those approaches for Stephanie Warner, the case in my signature. One reporter did a three part series! That may bring in new tips, and it will at least give you more online comments to read, especially if you post comments too and ignore the mean ones. Hang in there!!"​

Ok. Was Jeff's paid up very long in advance? If he was planning to leave voluntarily then he surely wouldn't pay for a post office box very far in advance, I would imagine. Also family could have perhaps paid and extended the post office box as well. If he cancelled his post office box, that could also mean he was not planning to come back to the area. Did the police check on that at all?

I was also wondering If there were any issued or uncashed money orders that could be traced via the post office or if they were cashed elsewhere after he disapppeared perhaps.

Also did he have a paid up in advance contract phone and have any records been requested for that?

I'm sorry if this is repeating anything that has already been covered but I cannot remember these things being mentioned before.
BBM

Good questions. I don't think these things have been mentioned before, except that peaceofmind did say he purchased his money orders in New Orleans usually.

I'm not sure I understand when you say that if Jeff was planning to leave voluntarily, he wouldn't pay his P.O. Box very far in advance. If you have a permanent P.O. Box that you plan to use indefinitely, I would think paying several months in advance would be a convenience and insure you wouldn't lose that box number. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I'd like to know who else had a key to the box.

Overall, it doesn't sound as if LE, which is understaffed in Humboldt, did the kind of detailed investigation you are asking about. But maybe they did.

BBM

Good questions. I don't think these things have been mentioned before, except that peaceofmind did say he purchased his money orders in New Orleans usually.

I'm not sure I understand when you say that if Jeff was planning to leave voluntarily, he wouldn't pay his P.O. Box very far in advance. If you have a permanent P.O. Box that you plan to use indefinitely, I would think paying several months in advance would be a convenience and insure you wouldn't lose that box number. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I'd like to know who else had a key to the box.

Overall, it doesn't sound as if LE, which is understaffed in Humboldt, did the kind of detailed investigation you are asking about. But maybe they did.
I don't know whether people pay monthly, annually or quarterly for example. If Jeff had actually closed his P.O. Box or let it lapse close to when he went missing, it could indicate voluntary departure. If he had a year still paid for it could indicate foul play or accident is what I thought. A call to the p.o. could answer that perhaps is what I wondered.

Also, re the money orders he purchased in New Orleans - did he then cash them as and when he needed to? I am just wondering if there could be a record of someone cashing a money order purchased by Jeff close to the time he went missing. It's probably a long shot and has already been looked at anyway.

I used to have a P.O. box as my only option to receive mail. They slipped a reminder envelope in my box that I would just put a check in and drop into the outgoing mail. My only options were 6 months or 1 year. I could not pay farther in advance, and I never ever paid early. Now you also have an option to pay online.

If I didn't pay, they put a lock on my box. I think I had 3-6 months before they changed the lock and gave the box to someone new.

Most likely mail for him still goes to that box. A person could stalk it and approach the new box holder to see if they would pass the mail off. Maybe some company could be traced back that way, and find out some history.

Try contacting Marissa at "The Vanished Podcast" on Facebook. She features unsolved disappearances on her podcast and does a good job presenting the cases, using a lot of info/interviews from family and friends when possible.

I don't know whether people pay monthly, annually or quarterly for example. If Jeff had actually closed his P.O. Box or let it lapse close to when he went missing, it could indicate voluntary departure. If he had a year still paid for it could indicate foul play or accident is what I thought. A call to the p.o. could answer that perhaps is what I wondered.

Also, re the money orders he purchased in New Orleans - did he then cash them as and when he needed to? I am just wondering if there could be a record of someone cashing a money order purchased by Jeff close to the time he went missing. It's probably a long shot and has already been looked at anyway.

Thanks. The reason I couldn't follow your reasoning is that my impression was that Jeff wasn't giving up his business dealings, so there would be no reason to close the box or let it lapse voluntarily. It was still early in the growing season. But yes, if he had paid ahead it would clearly indicate foul play or accident. And it would be good to know the status of his P.O box when he disappeared and if anyone else was on the contract.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back