CA CA - Jeff Joseph, 45, Hoopa, 21 June 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for reposting the LOCO article above. I had forgotten that LE had searched the property and had CHP do a helicopter search for the car. Brain blip. :)

I'm curious why they think this Robert Hunter guy met up with Jeff? Do they have a phone call trail or text, or did someone see them together?

I'd like to know that too. Ideally it would be all three, but it could be just someone who heard that they were going to meet. The thing is, Hunter is none too popular, according to comments I've read, so it's hard to know how reliable a report like that would be. Even if it's true, I can't imagine Hunter admitting anything unless there is other evidence. I just hope Jeff's family can catch a break soon.

If someone heard they were going to meet, that's the someone I would want to hear from.

It's also interesting that his supposed friends are avoiding questioning. There is a lot more to this story than meets the eye.

If someone heard they were going to meet, that's the someone I would want to hear from.

It's also interesting that his supposed friends are avoiding questioning. There is a lot more to this story than meets the eye.

It is interesting that Jeff's supposed friends are avoiding questioning, but it doesn't surprise me, since it's pretty clear that Jeff and his friends were involved in growing. That in itself usually shuts down communication with LE, even if they aren't involved with his disappearance. There is a pretty thick wall of silence in this area. And yes, there is likely a lot more to this story that hasn't been revealed. When Jeff first went missing, his family didn't mention his previous legal issues regarding marijuana in SoCal. So I suspect there is plenty we don't know yet about his land in Humboldt. For him to come all the way from Louisiana, my sense is that it was a pretty big deal in the growing hierarchy (not a Mom and Pop grow).

the 299 is a hard road to drive- many places to go off.
I wonder if this road was thoroughly searched. Not just by air, but by foot as well.

I wonder if this road was thoroughly searched. Not just by air, but by foot as well.

I remember at least one friend posted to FB early on that they were heading out to search the whole hiway. I don't think it was by foot. The best you could do would be to pull off and get out of your car at every turnout or place where the bushes might have been disturbed. But a car would not be easy to see below the road in many spots, even rafting on the river. He was driving the hiway in the daytime, which IMO makes it less likely that he had an unnoticed accident. But you never know.

Gosh thank you for the reminder that his vehicle has not been found! That is actually one of the most compelling parts of this case for me because someone has hidden it very well. It being green makes that easier if it is outdoors but it could be in an old barn/shed who knows!

This case makes me so sad, as does Neal Kings. Although I'm not a big supporter of pot/growing/"medical" marijuana I do feel for these men who were likely killed by their associates. No one deserves that. They both seem like decent human beings who trusted the wrong people (monsters).

It just breaks my heart these families have no answers and live so far away.

Gosh thank you for the reminder that his vehicle has not been found! That is actually one of the most compelling parts of this case for me because someone has hidden it very well. It being green makes that easier if it is outdoors but it could be in an old barn/shed who knows!

This case makes me so sad, as does Neal Kings. Although I'm not a big supporter of pot/growing/"medical" marijuana I do feel for these men who were likely killed by their associates. No one deserves that. They both seem like decent human beings who trusted the wrong people (monsters).

It just breaks my heart these families have no answers and live so far away.

Yes, the car could very well be in a shed or barn. But apparently Jeff's property didn't yield any sign that he had been there. So where?

Although it bothers me that the people who disappear in Humboldt, etc have often gone purposely into this dangerous area/situation, they don't deserve to die. No one expects to be killed, but everyone knows it happens. I don't think Jeff was naive and he does seem like a decent guy and much loved. What a risk to take for money! Sigh.

On the other hand, when we lived there, I can remember at least two people killed by mistake when someone from the city went to the wrong rural property to rip off the crop. The ones killed weren't even growing, so you can get killed even if you haven't taken that risk. It's a lose-lose area, as beautiful as it is.

And the families left behind suffer so greatly. I really feel for them. :(

I'm not familiar with the area. Are there large waterways or deep lakes that the auto could be submerged in?

I'm not familiar with the area. Are there large waterways or deep lakes that the auto could be submerged in?

No large waterways other than the Pacific Ocean, which wouldn't be practical. The rivers wouldn't hide a car for long and there are no nearby lakes. Shasta Lake is near Redding on I-5 where Jeff would have turned onto Hiway 299, but it's pretty low because of the drought and hours away.

It wouldn't be all that difficult to push the car into a steep ravine off one of the side roads in the area where it would be hidden in the brush. The vegetation is thick and grows quickly. It wouldn't take long for a green car to disappear.

My experience with Hwy 299 leads me to believe they won't find Jeff's car at all, hidden or otherwise. Here's why:

Back in 1978 my ex and I were heading home to Seattle from Long Beach, CA. We had driven up I-5 and decided to take 299 over to the Arcata/Eureka area, so we could drive up the Oregon coast and stop to see my folks.

It was springtime and there'd been a lot of rain. We were driving through the twistiest bits of the highway, that runs right along the edge of the ravine down to the river. At that time, there was no shoulder at all on either side of the road. The westbound lane was bordered by cliff face to the north, and the eastbound lane had a sheer dropoff to the south. So, we're tooling along and all of a sudden a HUGE rock (visualize about the size of a 25 pound turkey) comes bouncing down the cliff face and lands on the road in front of us, and broke into two pieces. There was no possibility to slam on the brakes in time, or swerve to avoid it without going down the embankment to the river, so the ex drove over the two pieces of the rock, and came to a stop as safely as possible, trying to avoid being rear-ended by a car behind us. Fortunately the only thing hurt was the car, and the folks behind stopped and gave us a ride to Eureka. Once we got there, we called the Highway Patrol to let them know about the car and we were told to hire a tow truck ASAP and get back up there to get our car, because it wouldn't be there in the morning. They told us the reservation land up there was notorious for bad things happening to people and their cars, and our car would be stripped and sold for parts within 12 hours if we didn't go back immediately and get it.

So my thought is Jeff's car was not hidden, it was parted out and sold.

Wow! Scary experience La Louve. I'm glad you came out OK. That road is dangerous in places. Many of those cliffs now wear what look like heavy chain link "hairnets" to hold back the rocks. I had never heard that cars get parted out on the reservation before, but it makes sense. We lived in Southern Humboldt, so we didn't have much knowledge about the Hoopa reservation, other than it was best not to go there. I personally doubt that Jeff's disappearance was due to driving off the road and dying, as it likely had to do with marijuana. But either way, based on the advice you got, his car is long gone.

Thank you for posting this. Welcome to Websleuths! :seeya:

I had read about the remains being found on Lost Coast Outpost (LOCO) and wondered if it could be Jeff. Now Kym Kemp's news blog Redheaded Blackbelt has an article with quotes from Jeff's sister. Vikki has posted a lot recently on the FB page for Jeff. The waiting must be awful. If it is Jeff, answers are needed.

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2016/jan/29/human-remains-found-hoopa/

http://kymkemp.com/2016/02/07/griev...mains-found-near-hoopa-belong-to-jeff-joseph/

https://www.facebook.com/jeffjosephmissing/timeline?ref=page_internal

I know there are very simple answers to this.. It's such a frustrating cast though due to the vastness of the area and the kind of people we are dealing with. My personal belief is one or more of four people is guilty of harming him. I believe other people saw it but no one will talk and Law Enforcement is not forcing anyone to talk . No body . No car. No evidence. It's very simple and beyond frustrating for us though ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back