CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods, if this is off base, I apologize - just remove it.

I recall Patrick saying in an interview that he wanted the death penalty for CM if he is found guilty because it is far more restrictive and confining than what a life without possibility of parole inmate experiences. Considering CM's age and the number of years that appeals take, CM's life would be a tortuous one for a very long time.
Helen, it's been my understanding that families can weigh in with the DA on just that.

Thanks Mony!

" Members of the Los A.ngeles police Hillside Strangler Task Force arrested Merritt Friday night in connection with a reported rape and robbery of an unidentified woman Nov. 12. LAPD spokesman Lt. Dan Cooke said over the weekend it did not appear from the initial investigation that Merritt was involved in the series of 10 young female killings but that detectives were checking out all possibilities. Investigators also said Merritt. when arrested, had women's clothing in his auto, a gray Cadillac with a white top. Sepulveda neighbors of the 10th victim linked to the strangler case. 18-year-old Lauren Rae Wagner, said they saw her being taken into a large car with a light top and a dark bottom by two large persons An LAPD spokesman said Merritt's sister contends the clothing was hers and that she had given it to him to be taken to the cleaners."

Just to be clear, I'm not stating I believe he was involved or that I'm sleuthing him. But he was swabbed. They didn't do that in 77.
The swabbing was done for Merritt's case though, that's why Maline wanted the probable cause warrant... which he dropped after getting more info from the State apparently and that they wouldn't be calling the witness.

Thanks Mony!

" Members of the Los A.ngeles police Hillside Strangler Task Force arrested Merritt Friday night in connection with a reported rape and robbery of an unidentified woman Nov. 12. LAPD spokesman Lt. Dan Cooke said over the weekend it did not appear from the initial investigation that Merritt was involved in the series of 10 young female killings but that detectives were checking out all possibilities. Investigators also said Merritt. when arrested, had women's clothing in his auto, a gray Cadillac with a white top. Sepulveda neighbors of the 10th victim linked to the strangler case. 18-year-old Lauren Rae Wagner, said they saw her being taken into a large car with a light top and a dark bottom by two large persons An LAPD spokesman said Merritt's sister contends the clothing was hers and that she had given it to him to be taken to the cleaners."
Ya gotta love this family. I could no more get my brothers to take or pick up my dry cleaning than the man in the moon!

Also from article posted by @missy1974 :

"After the hearing, Maline reiterated that tests performed by the defense at the graves found none of Merritt’s DNA, but instead the DNA of three men and one woman. Maline said he hopes prosecutors will test Daniel Kavanaugh, a business associate of Joseph McStay, to see whether his DNA matches."

Jurors will hear tape of McStay murder defendant being quizzed by detectives – Press Enterprise

Why isn't the defense doing the swab and testing? Can't they get a "probable cause" warrant for DK's DNA? He's "their guy", seriously, what's the problem? All this "DK this", "DK that", "did you check DK", "where's DK's alibi", "did you look at DK's financials and phone records".

Come on, your office is going to throw this at the wall during opening statements and continually deflect the testimony with "DK" but you won't do the testing to make it stick?

I call "Red Herring".
aquarium1-smiley.gif

"After the hearing, Maline reiterated that tests performed by the defense at the graves found none of Merritt’s DNA, but instead the DNA of three men and one woman. Maline said he hopes prosecutors will test Daniel Kavanaugh, a business associate of Joseph McStay, to see whether his DNA matches."

Jurors will hear tape of McStay murder defendant being quizzed by detectives – Press Enterprise

Why isn't the defense doing the swab and testing? Can't they get a "probable cause" warrant for DK's DNA? He's "their guy", seriously, what's the problem? All this "DK this", "DK that", "did you check DK", "where's DK's alibi", "did you look at DK's financials and phone records".

Come on, your office is going to throw this at the wall during opening statements and continually deflect the testimony with "DK" but you won't do the testing to make it stick?

I call "Red Herring".
aquarium1-smiley.gif

Can the defense get a search warrant for DNA?

I call "Red Herring".
aquarium1-smiley.gif
That's a very astute observation. I wonder if Chase had any issue with his brother being swabbed, or even knew.

I don't think we're getting day 26 this weekend or maybe not even at all? Hours of compulsive clicking on the "videos" section of the L&C YouTube page ad nauseam. I've had enough "bearing or baring or whatever it is" this weekend.
I’ve been doing the same thing. I gave up after I did it about 2 hours ago. I decided to relisten to the cell tower evidence instead.

For some reason, L&C give the Raja trial, or whatever it is precedence over the McStay trial. I feel unimportant. Lol.

I’ve been doing the same thing. I gave up after I did it about 2 hours ago. I decided to relisten to the cell tower evidence instead.

For some reason, L&C give the Raja trial, or whatever it is precedence over the McStay trial. I feel unimportant. Lol.

The person that uploads it, needs the footage before she can upload it lol I don't think she has it yet to upload :( Maybe they got a new camera guy?

I'm annoyed by it myself lol but whatever, we will have it eventually!

I'm winding down for the day. So done with L&C.....well kinda, sorta since they are all we have. What a Mickey Mouse operation, IMO. Sign of the times? Fake news deciding what we need to know?

I call "Red Herring".
aquarium1-smiley.gif
Of course the defense can’t get a search warrant. You have to be in law enforcement to get a search warrant. Any old lawyer can’t decide there is probable cause for anything.

It is actually not acceptable, if you believe that evidence matters, to embellish with a theory that is in no way supported by any actual evidence.

What we have is evidence that on Thursday, Feb. 4, Joey opened his QB account, apparently the Custom account, looked at it. Then as he drove he called his bank. Bank conversations are often recorded-it is odd that no recording appears to exist. So one can rationally assume that whatever Joey discussed with his bank, did not alarm the person he was speaking to.

Phone records have Joey going to this meeting and returning home, uneventfully.

Where is the proof in any of this (other than the the family vanished either that night or the next morning) that anything transpired between Joey and Chase, other than basic business?

We may never know for certain, but just because two events are in sequence, does not mean one caused the other. And all indications are that Joey wasn't worried about his bank accounts at all.

Where is the evidence? We can make stuff up all day long, but if we don't hold ourselves to some standard of evidentiary support for what we put forward, it's all just fiction-at best.

And this is the real world. You have to be able to point to some proof.

Bank conversations are often recorded-it is odd that no recording appears to exist.

Didn't they say that the recordings are only kept on file for a certain time limit? Or was that the QB testimony?
In any case, I think this may be what happened.

So one can rationally assume that whatever Joey discussed with his bank, did not alarm the person he was speaking to.

Why would the bank employee be alarmed? Joey was likely just asking basic questions about his balance and any recent debits to his account.

Phone records have Joey going to this meeting and returning home, uneventfully.

How do we know it was uneventful? And how would the phone records show that?

Chase told a few people that he and Joey argued at the lunch meeting. So it wasn't totally uneventful.

And Chase lied about that meeting, telling the detectives that Joey gave him those checks, dated the 4th. But those were actually created by Chase himself, and backdated and deleted. I call that 'eventful'.

Where is the proof in any of this (other than the the family vanished either that night or the next morning) that anything transpired between Joey and Chase, other than basic business?

It was not 'basic business' if Chase sat down at Joey's desktop on the night of the 4th, and created a check for himself, then deleted it and recreated it the next day.

We may never know for certain, but just because two events are in sequence, does not mean one caused the other. And all indications are that Joey wasn't worried about his bank accounts at all.

ALL indications? Joey made 2 calls to his bank after checking his QB account. Then called and met with Chase.

That indicates to me that he was concerned with something about his bank account. His day was likely cut pretty short so we don't know if he had plans to change his password or file a fraud report or not.

Where is the evidence?

Chase's lies to the detective, for one thing. Lying about where those checks came from is evidence that he was trying to cover up something about that money that he cashed in his name.

He told them that Joey gave him those checks on the 4th at the lunch meeting. =TOTAL LIE

It is a very revealing lie and it mat be the lynchpin of this case.

We can make stuff up all day long, but if we don't hold ourselves to some standard of evidentiary support for what we put forward, it's all just fiction-at best.

And this is the real world. You have to be able to point to some proof.

INDEED. ;-]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members