CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the proof Dan Kavanaugh is on trial? You insinuate a lot of what the defense has claimed on him to be fact without them producing anything.

That's a double standard.

Merritt is a proven liar and I believe the jury has concluded that much by now. They're not going to believe his other tails weaved together by his defense team.

Ita!

I do like that we have both sides here though, like we always do in every trial I've ever followed here.

So in that aspect this forum is no different than all of the rest.

It shows in the end it's the jurors who really matters most, and what they think.

In 99 percent of the cases I've followed the verdicts were unanimous.

So that's promising, and I believe it will be in this case as well.

If you can answer this off the top of your head (don't go digging) do we have a time frame for the burials? Just give me the cliff notes. TIA
And I am so curious about Bennett. Do you think he will take the stand?

I'm curious about Bennett as well ;-) Who knows though, maybe it's nothing! I am not sure why the defense asked so many questions about Bennett and driving him around.

Maybe it's nothing :) Found this article:
Jurors will hear tape of McStay murder defendant being quizzed by detectives – Press Enterprise

One of Merritt’s attorneys, Rajan Maline, had requested the hearing Friday to ask the judge to unseal an affidavit written to obtain a search warrant. In this case, the search was of the mouth of Merritt’s brother Bennett, in which investigators obtained a DNA swab. Examining the affidavit Friday would have given Maline time to react to its contents ahead of the trial and gain insight into the prosecution’s case. But before Smith could make a ruling, Maline withdrew his motion.

That’s because he said prosecutors told him that information that gave detectives probable cause to search Bennett Merritt came from a confidential informant who was not going to testify during the trial. Daugherty on Friday declined to say why investigators obtained the DNA swab from Merritt.

We obviously have a very different criminal system in the UK but I just googled and it states it can take up to 16 years to be executed once found guilty so what is the logic of the prosecution doing this as a death penalty case when Chase is what 61/62.?

So I would hazard a guess and say he would die of natural causes before being given the injection if he is indeed found guilty. So it seems strange to me when he is elderly already and the complications that comes with a death penalty trial.

I know some people are really confident that he will be found guilty but I’m still 80/29 he will walk free.

Also, DP inmates have VERY restricted movement/access inside of prison as well. The DP IS the strongest punishment one can receive as well.

Ita!

I do like that we have both sides here though, like we always do in every trial I've ever followed here.

So in that aspect this forum is no different than all of the rest.

It shows in the end it's the jurors who really matters most, and what they think.

In 99 percent of the cases I've followed the verdicts were unanimous.

So that's promising, and I believe it will be in this case as well.
Agreed. And I think on the whole that this has been pretty respectful. Disagreements but not ad hominem posts. And I personally have enjoyed posts from both sides. Okay......maybe just the posts from the smart people on both sides. They know who they are. WINK.

Then he might be with other PC inmates then, or PC alone. @Bernina wrote it down and segregated is alone.
Protective Custody is used for inmates who have threats on their well being or the usual baby killers and pedophiles. Inmates with a target on their back.
Administrative Custody is used for inmates who are a threat to other inmates, ie, gang members (prospects and leadership) or "bad actors".

We obviously have a very different criminal system in the UK but I just googled and it states it can take up to 16 years to be executed once found guilty so what is the logic of the prosecution doing this as a death penalty case when Chase is what 61/62.?

So I would hazard a guess and say he would die of natural causes before being given the injection if he is indeed found guilty. So it seems strange to me when he is elderly already and the complications that comes with a death penalty trial.

I know some people are really confident that he will be found guilty but I’m still 80/29 he will walk free.

I do understand, but the death penalty has never been based on the age of the defendant. Unless they are under 18 years of age.

It's based solely on the individual crime they committed, and if it is a death penalty qualified case. Which this one certainly is, and meets more legal prongs than the state is even required to meet.

Imo

IF he is convicted and sentenced to death, I believe there are only a few prisons in Ca that house DP Inmates. I've never heard of any Death Row inmates housed with the public. However, I believe DR Inmates are now housed 2 to a cell, if they agree to share a cell?

IF he gets convicted whether DP or if they have the option for life, he will be in PCS, Deathrow PCS for what remains of his life. CM would be seen as a "baby killer", bottom of the prison hierarchy.

Protective Custody is used for inmates who have threats on their well being or the usual baby killers and pedophiles. Inmates with a target on their back.
Administrative Custody is used for inmates who are a threat to other inmates, ie, gang members (prospects and leadership) or "bad actors".

Believe it or not, "some" inmates do outrageous acts just to get "into" PC/Ad-Seg just so they can have a chance to "get to" another inmate. I had an Ag-Seg inmate, whose wife worked at a PD in So Cal as a dispatcher, in order to carry out a "hit" on another inmate for the Mexican Mafia. He "used" the system to find and stab that inmate, true story.

IF he gets convicted whether DP or if they have the option for life, he will be in PCS, Deathrow PCS for what remains of his life. CM would be seen as a "baby killer", bottom of the prison hierarchy.

Inmates who hurt children are also "marked" for life by having their faces slashed with razor blades, across their cheeks, so they are scarred for life. That tells other inmates, the scar across the cheek, that they were abusive to children.

It is actually not acceptable, if you believe that evidence matters, to embellish with a theory that is in no way supported by any actual evidence.

What we have is evidence that on Thursday, Feb. 4, Joey opened his QB account, apparently the Custom account, looked at it. Then as he drove he called his bank. Bank conversations are often recorded-it is odd that no recording appears to exist. So one can rationally assume that whatever Joey discussed with his bank, did not alarm the person he was speaking to.

Phone records have Joey going to this meeting and returning home, uneventfully.

Where is the proof in any of this (other than the the family vanished either that night or the next morning) that anything transpired between Joey and Chase, other than basic business?

We may never know for certain, but just because two events are in sequence, does not mean one caused the other. And all indications are that Joey wasn't worried about his bank accounts at all.

Where is the evidence? We can make stuff up all day long, but if we don't hold ourselves to some standard of evidentiary support for what we put forward, it's all just fiction-at best.

And this is the real world. You have to be able to point to some proof.
BBM

In fact, isn't that what the defense has done? And no knife found in grave.

No, the bank does not record your calls when you call them. Not in any call I've ever made.

"Phone records have Joey going to this meeting and returning home, uneventfully."

This is acceptable to conclude as being accurate data, but the data for Merritt being in VV on the 6th pinging the Qaurtzite tower is not?

Can you expand on your conclusions for one data to be wholly accurate and the other as faulty?

Last edited:

In any jail/prison, Ad-Seg is the highest level one can reach, including baby killers. It's literally up to LE to maintain their security. Both PC inmates and "Inmate Hunters" are housed in Ad-Seg together, in their own cell.

I'm curious about Bennett as well ;-) Who knows though, maybe it's nothing! I am not sure why the defense asked so many questions about Bennett and driving him around.

Maybe it's nothing :) Found this article:
Jurors will hear tape of McStay murder defendant being quizzed by detectives – Press Enterprise

One of Merritt’s attorneys, Rajan Maline, had requested the hearing Friday to ask the judge to unseal an affidavit written to obtain a search warrant. In this case, the search was of the mouth of Merritt’s brother Bennett, in which investigators obtained a DNA swab. Examining the affidavit Friday would have given Maline time to react to its contents ahead of the trial and gain insight into the prosecution’s case. But before Smith could make a ruling, Maline withdrew his motion.

That’s because he said prosecutors told him that information that gave detectives probable cause to search Bennett Merritt came from a confidential informant who was not going to testify during the trial. Daugherty on Friday declined to say why investigators obtained the DNA swab from Merritt.
So what is your take on this,Missy? I am thinking if they had anything on Bennett it would have come out by now You?

Believe it or not, "some" inmates do outrageous acts just to get "into" PC/Ad-Seg just so they can have a chance to "get to" another inmate. I had an Ag-Seg inmate, whose wife worked at a PD in So Cal as a dispatcher, in order to carry out a "hit" on another inmate for the Mexican Mafia. He "used" the system to find and stab that inmate, true story.

I've seen cases where other death row inmate killed another inmate.

They have nothing to lose by doing so.

Chilling.

One last comment about Ad-Seg: LE just can't "put" someone into Ad-Seg w/o the Jail Commander/Warden's approval. I've been retired almost 15 years and I believe it was Title 12 (Ca Laws) about inmate's rights etc . . .

If you want to know about jail/prison life, look up Title 12 and it will explain everything about jail/prison laws.

It's either Title 12 or 15, sorry for that.

It's 15, doh ! Been awhile for me, lol.

Last edited:

I know some people are really confident that he will be found guilty but I’m still 80/20 he will walk free.
16 years? Longer than that even. Kevin Cooper, who killed a family of four in their home, has been on DR for 35 years.

I don't think we're getting day 26 this weekend or maybe not even at all? Hours of compulsive clicking on the "videos" section of the L&C YouTube page ad nauseam. I've had enough "bearing or baring or whatever it is" this weekend.

I have come to realize L&C pick and choose their trials, which is a shame, IMO. This case ranks right up there with the Manson Murders, IMO.

Yep, they know the "game".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member