CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(quote)
The QuickBooks account was used by McStay to write checks to vendors connected to his water fountain business.

Authorities testified that Merritt was added as a vendor to the account on Feb. 1, 2010 in an update that did not appear to be created by McStay.

The next day, they testified, Merritt cashed a check from the account and two days after that, McStay - after logging on to the account - called his bank. The next day he and his family disappeared.

According to authorities, shortly after the McStay family's disappearance, checks for more than $13,000 backdated to the day the family was last seen were cashed or deposited by Merritt from the QuickBooks account.

Warrants released Wednesday indicate Dan Kavanaugh, another business associate of Joseph McStay, told investigators McStay lent Merritt $30,000 to cover a gambling debt and that McStay planned to fire Merritt.
Court docs: Suspect in McStay murder case owed victim money

LOL. From OS by the prosecution re Merritt's whereabouts:
9.32 PM MERRITT AT MIRA LOMA THEN PHONE OFF GRID UNTIL 7.30 AM
At 9.32 pm he calls Catherine Jarvis and his cell phone connects with a cell tower in Mira Loma which is south of Rancho Cucamonga north of Corona. After that 9.32 pm contact his phone is off the grid until 7.30 the next morning, February 5th.
On that date February 5th – this is the day after the last known contact with the family, it’s a Friday – from 3.54 pm to 9.17 pm the defendant’s cell phone again is not connecting to any towers. There’s no activity on his cell phone and then after that 9.18 pm I believe there’s no more contact […court video skips] as well. So that’s Friday the 5th.
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2

Right. I was lead to believe the same thing. And actually, I think the prosecution was as well. To put it into a nutshell... McGee went through numerous... I think over a month worth of calls that went to VM that also did not register tower information (I do believe there was 1 or 2 that did, no explanation for that either). Some had calls within minutes or seconds before and after that did register a tower, so the phone being turned off really isn't logical.

part 2 of Day 24... this is on re-direct of Boles...

Q: All of those went to vm's, don't show cell tower information. What does that indicate to you based on your training?

A: As I stated on direct, based on my training, that the phone could be off the network, off, on airplane mode, however, based on cross examination, I would like to confer with AT&T to give a more accurate answer.

I understand that no everyone is listening to the testimony... and not everyone can, but this is just another thing that IMO we were lead to believe. I'm still waiting for the forensics from the house that prove that they were killed there...

I just want clarification on this point so Joeys final phone call to Chase did not connect?

How many phone calls did Merritt make to Joey after the 4th?

ETA - stupid predictive text!!!

You know - I was just trying to look that up - and I have nothing regarding who he called on the days after. Is there somewhere where that is listed. I'll add it to my timeline. All I have is where his phone pinged the days after.

TIA! :)

Here is an article about Judge Smith. He has something in common with the defendant, in that he enjoys poker. (Texas Hold Em)

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...50ae276e473a3/1520370069452/smith-michael.pdf

Thank you.

I was almost sure even before I read this he had presided over other death penalty cases before Merritt's, and he has.

It stated he gets high marks from both the prosecutors, and defense attorneys that have come before him.

So, imo, they certainly selected the right judge to preside over this death penalty case as well.

Imo

You know - I was just trying to look that up - and I have nothing regarding who he called on the days after. Is there somewhere where that is listed. I'll add it to my timeline. All I have is where his phone pinged the days after.

TIA! :)
I have from the preliminary hearings -

No. of calls from Chase to Joey after the 4th:

5th - 3
6th - 0
7th - 2 (both at 3.47 pm)
8th - ?
9th - 1 (at 1.07 pm)

No further calls to Joey after 9th.

They do say the total number of calls Chase to Joey after the 4th was 12, so we might assume he called Joey's number 6 times on the 8th (after 1.31 pm because there was no activity on Chase's phone between 7.26 am and 1.31 pm on the 8th), but I haven't seen that number of 6 calls factually stated anywhere.

5th - 3
6th - 0
8th - ?
9th - 1 (at 1.07 pm)

They do say the total number of calls Chase to Joey after the 4th was 12, so we might assume he called Joey's number 6 times on the 8th (after 1.31 pm because there was no activity on Chase's phone between 7.26 am and 1.31 pm on the 8th), but I haven't seen that number of 6 calls factually stated anywhere.

Thank you so much for this :)

So it’s a massive decrease from the weeks before when they were constantly on the phone with each other.

I wonder how many times Joey and Chase never called each other daily as on the 6th zero contact so I would love to know over a 3 month period how often that happened?!!

Holiday don’t count either.

Last edited:
It did not, you are correct.

So there is evidence on Joey's phone records that a call was made to CM that night, but it doesn't register as being received on CMs phone?

I thought CJ said she saw CMs phone light up with Joey's name popping up? If that is true, I'm confused why it didn't register in both phones?

Didn't she even say it rang so long that it finally went to VM? Did she say she thought it was odd that CM was avoiding JMs call?

If so, it would mean CM would have phone evidence that call had been made, because it was coming in as a good call, and didn't drop the entire time, from many rings all the way to redirecting it to VM, right?

Plus CJ said she even saw it coming in, ringing so long it went to voicemail. That can only happen if both phones were active, and working properly on each end.

They never found Summer or Joey's cell phones did they? After murdering them all they had to be in the possession of CM.

I've asked this several times, Lol! but I will ask again. What time did CJ say CM arrived home on the 4th? Tia

Imo

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this :)

So it’s a massive decrease from the weeks before when they was constantly on the phone with each other.

I wonder how many times Joey and Chase never called each other as on the 6th zero contact so I would love to know over a 3 month period how often that happened?!!

Holiday don’t count either.

Well, what better place to start than his own recorded words to detectives :-

"Up until the fourth, I can't remember a day that I haven't talked to him," Merritt told investigators in the Feb. 17, 2010, interview. "Almost every day, 10 to 15 times. (It's) been going on for at least two years."

rsbm

Last edited:
So there is any evidence on Joey's phone records that a call was made to CM that night, but it doesn't register as being received on CMs phone?

I thought CJ said she saw CMs phone light up with Joey's name popping up? If that is true, I'm confused why it didn't register in both phones?

Didn't she even say it rang so long that it finally went to VM? Did she say she thought it was odd that CM was avoiding JMs call?

If so, it would mean CM would have ohone evidence that call had been made, because it was coming in as a good call, and didn't drop the entire time, from many rings all the way to redirecting it to VM, right?

Plus CJ said she even saw it coming in, ringing so long it went to voicemail. That can only happen if both phones were active, and working properly on each end.

They never found Summer or Joey's cell phones did they? After murdering them all they had to be in the possession of CM.

I've asked this several times, but I will ask again. What time did CJ say CM arrived home on the 4th? Tia

Imo
You're right the call to Chase at 8.28 pm on the 4th shows on Joey's phone records but does not show on Chase's phone records.

Prosecutors suggested in opening speech the call dropped before it made the connection.

So Cathy couldn't have seen it anyway, and it didn't go to voicemail.

I haven't seen it stated anywhere that she gave a time for him coming home on the 4th.

Thanks Tortoise!

You would think she was asked to give a timeline of that day starting when they had talked on the phone until he got home.

Imo, I doubt if he even came home that night at all.

Hasn't it been entered into evidence he was in Joey's home late writing himself a fraudulent check the day the disappeared?

If she testifies she is going to be confronted with all of this evidence that doesnt add up with her own time of events.

It will truly be a gold mine gift to the state if the defense calls her.

Imo

Well, what better place to start than his own recorded words to detectives :-

This is so revealing. If anyone's best friend, and their entire family truly had vanished into thin air, the frantic calls to locate them would increase....not decrease.

Especially for the best friend who was known to talk to him excessively every single day.

Imo, the jury will take notice of this dwindling call pattern of the accused.

The only reasonable conclusion is this man was the ONLY ONE who KNEW at the time Joey was never going to answer his phone ever again.

Imo

This is so revealing. If anyone's best friend, and their entire family truly had vanished into thin air, the frantic calls to locate them would increase....not decrease.

Especially for the best friend who was known to talk to him excessively every single day.

Imo, the jury will take notice of this dwindling call pattern of the accused.

The only reasonable conclusion is this man was the ONLY ONE who KNEW at the time Joey was never going to answer his phone ever again.

Imo
And what do you do if you can't get hold of your best friend and work partner who you normally speak to 10 to 15 times a day? You call his nearest and dearest to find out if something is wrong. Especially with Joey being sick recently. No calls to Summer either.

Another anomaly - he went into Metro Sheet Metal on Monday morning and told Carmen (because she couldn't get an answer from Joey on Friday) that he'd been trying to get hold of Joey all weekend. He didn't even try calling Joey on Monday morning.

5th - 3
6th - 0
8th - ?
9th - 1 (at 1.07 pm)

Thank you Tortoise - I was going to plug in those 3 calls that had times on them - and I already have them there.... :rolleyes:

Thanks Tortoise!

You would think she was asked to give a timeline of that day starting when they had talked on the phone until he got home.

Imo, I doubt if he even came home that night at all.

Hasn't it been entered into evidence he was in Joey's home late writing himself a fraudulent check the day the disappeared?

If she testifies she is going to be confronted with all of this evidence that doesnt add up with her own time of events.

It will truly be a gold mine gift to the state if the defense calls her.

Imo
BBM well some think that was Dan the Hacker, who got into the computer that Mikey removed from the house between the 15th and the 19th and backdated the computer to make the entries, after hacking into QuickBooks' servers on the 4th to write and delete that cheque. I think.

And it's just coincidental or unlucky or something that Chase just happened to write a cheque to himself with the same memo line the next day, and delete it, even though he'd never spoken to Dan.

You're right the call to Chase at 8.28 pm on the 4th shows on Joey's phone records but does not show on Chase's phone records.

Prosecutors suggested in opening speech the call dropped before it made the connection.

So Cathy couldn't have seen it anyway, and it didn't go to voicemail.

I haven't seen it stated anywhere that she gave a time for him coming home on the 4th.

They really do have quite a bit to impeach her testimony, and credibility. Imo.

Imo, she will be looked at as a possible biased witness by the jury since they will learn she has 3 children with this man. So they will know she has a vested interest in the outcome.

At first when she told them he had received a call that night she didnt know at that time they would have records of all calls, right?

She only changed it AFTER she was told the phone records didnt support her statement, is that correct?

Imo, if not for the phone records she would have stuck with her first statement.

Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members