CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She must have been remembering a different date.

Since we have zero other information, this is all we have from preliminary hearing:

Q What was her response at that point, when she was confronted with the phone record?
A That she was mistaken. And she remembered the phone call happening that way, but it was possibly a different night.

That's not exactly changing her story, IMO

Will be interesting if we get to see all her statements, to see if there is any truth to the 'changing story'. All these years and afaik Cathy has never spoken publicly or in MSM.

I'm guessing they didn't either geevee, I know they took at least 1 computer from Jarvis, or actually her mother I think, we know that from search warrants.

On the 1st, a cheque was added and deleted, it was never printed and there was no editing done on it.

Based on QB's own logs, I do not believe that Joey, if unaware, could have "found" it before the 1st when he talked to Mike.
So how do we explain this? Who's computer was this transaction from if not either one of the McStay computers on the 1st.?
(quote)
Q That transaction of February 1st where Charles Merritt was added as a vendor, did that occur from either the laptop of the McStays or the desktop of the McStays?
A No, it did not.
Q So, it didn’t happen from either of them?
A It did not happen from either the desktop or the laptop.

You need to listen to the testimony Karinna... not everything in the preliminary hearing is 100% correct. The Contact and the Custom accounts were 2 different accounts.
BBM, Looks pretty accurate from what i can see. And that is exactly what was stated in the Preliminary hearing, that there were two different accounts, the Custom accnt. and the Contact accnt. No discrepency there that i can see.

rsbm

According to Susan Blake's testimony he wouldn't participate in the flyers and the media appeals from the beginning.

Probably because he was worried he was going to get arrested on that felony warrant. Dugal/Fiske did him a favour not arresting him on Feb 17th. IIRC he didn't get that looked after until April 2010, and they did the flyer hand out at the end of March.

So how do we explain this? Who's computer was this transaction from if not either one of the McStay computers on the 1st.?
(quote)
Q That transaction of February 1st where Charles Merritt was added as a vendor, did that occur from either the laptop of the McStays or the desktop of the McStays?
A No, it did not.
Q So, it didn’t happen from either of them?
A It did not happen from either the desktop or the laptop.

Karinna, if I knew, I would tell you haha The QB's go into great detail in Hanke's testimony. Day 19 on the you tube channel :)

BBM, Looks pretty accurate from what i can see. And that is exactly what was stated in the Preliminary hearing, that there were two different accounts, the Custom accnt. and the Contact accnt. No discrepency there that i can see.

Ok then lol You can use the PH transcripts, but we now have testimony in the trial, I will use that where I can ;)

He never said they came to his home for dinner. So I think he was only referring to Joey.

It did make me wonder why he said they met at CFL instead of Joey meeting him at his home since according to CM, Joey had done that often.

Jmo

I'm wondering if Merritt met him there so Jarvis wouldn't hear their conversation.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they didn't either geevee, I know they took at least 1 computer from Jarvis, or actually her mother I think, we know that from search warrants.

On the 1st, a cheque was added and deleted, it was never printed and there was no editing done on it.

Based on QB's own logs, I do not believe that Joey, if unaware, could have "found" it before the 1st when he talked to Mike.

Thanks, Missy!

Do you know which of their computers LE had that showed CM printing out a check to himself from Joey's QB account?

From his own home I mean.

Tia

Since we have zero other information, this is all we have from preliminary hearing:

Q What was her response at that point, when she was confronted with the phone record?
A That she was mistaken. And she remembered the phone call happening that way, but it was possibly a different night.

That's not exactly changing her story, IMO

Will be interesting if we get to see all her statements, to see if there is any truth to the 'changing story'. All these years and afaik Cathy has never spoken publicly or in MSM.
It's not all we have from the preliminary hearing. The part just above that part said -

28 Q Why did you say that was her initial story?
1 A She changed it. Later, she changed her statement, when
2 she was confronted with cell phone records to show there was
3 never a phone call received on Mr. Merritt's phone from Joseph
4 McStay, Sr., that night.

Am I the only one that listened to his testimony? LOL

Although we don't have maps or exhibits to follow... this testimony explains a whole lot about the cell phone information.

I listened to this last night. I could be mistaken, because there was a lot covered, but it just reaffirmed what I believe to be true and stated, that VM calls do not register to the receivers phone or nearby tower. I'm going to listen again when I have some free time.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if Merritt met him there so Jarvis wouldn't hear they're conversation.

Possibly, but CM at first admitted, there was an argument that day between the two men.

So why would he want to go somewhere in a very public place to air their argument?

He knew Joey's temperament well by then, so he had to know when Joey called he was extremely upset with him. Imo He knew then this wasnt going to be a normal friendly meeting.

Although do they have evidence the meeting ever happened at CFL?

However if it did, Joey knew it wasnt going to be a friendly chit chat, and so did CM. Imo

Two hours is a very long time to stay at a fast food place imo. So Joey may have felt it was much safer for him to meet CM in public rather than chancing him exploding in rage with Joey being trapped inside of CMs own home.

This case is like all others I've ever followed for decades now, and some of the questions will remain unknown,just like they always do.

Imo

It does not show on his records. McGee somewhere in testimony, I think it was Hanke could have also been Boles, showed where Merritt's records show 2 calls from Joey at 5:47/5:48 but only shows one on Joey's. After listening to Boles, I am not sure how reliable the cell records are IMO
I'll look for that. How many times does did this occur? It's hard for me to throw out the baby with the bath water. This doesn't really signify any glaring discrepancies either.

Last edited:
These include calls to and from on the 4th, correct?
This is from the prelim part 3:

9 A So, February 4th to February 15 there were 39 contacts.
10 I believe 27 of those were made on the 4th.
11 Q Was there any attempt to contact the victim, Joseph
12 McStay, Sr., by the defendant after February 9th, 2010?
13 A Going through February 15th, it doesn't appear there was
14 any attempt to contact him after the 9th.
15 THE COURT: There was an attempt on the 9th, though?
16 THE WITNESS: After the 9th, there was no attempt to
17 contact the defendant.
18 MR. DAUGHERTY: The defendant or the victim?
19 THE WITNESS: I'm sorry, the victim.
20 THE COURT: Was there an attempt to contact the victim's
21 phone number from the defendant's phone number on the 9th?
22 THE WITNESS: I can check that, sir, if you give me a
23 minute.
24 THE COURT: Actually, I guess what I'm really interested
25 in, when was the last time there was an attempt to contact the
26 victim's phone number from the defendant's phone number?

27 THE WITNESS: Okay, I will look that up right now, sir.
28 (Brief pause.)
1 It appears that was on February 9th at 1:07 P.M.

This is from the prelim part 3:

9 A So, February 4th to February 15 there were 39 contacts.
10 I believe 27 of those were made on the 4th.
11 Q Was there any attempt to contact the victim, Joseph
12 McStay, Sr., by the defendant after February 9th, 2010?
13 A Going through February 15th, it doesn't appear there was
14 any attempt to contact him after the 9th.
15 THE COURT: There was an attempt on the 9th, though?
16 THE WITNESS: After the 9th, there was no attempt to
17 contact the defendant.
18 MR. DAUGHERTY: The defendant or the victim?
19 THE WITNESS: I'm sorry, the victim.
20 THE COURT: Was there an attempt to contact the victim's
21 phone number from the defendant's phone number on the 9th?
22 THE WITNESS: I can check that, sir, if you give me a
23 minute.
24 THE COURT: Actually, I guess what I'm really interested
25 in, when was the last time there was an attempt to contact the
26 victim's phone number from the defendant's phone number?

27 THE WITNESS: Okay, I will look that up right now, sir.
28 (Brief pause.)
1 It appears that was on February 9th at 1:07 P.M.
Right but there is further testimony that it was more than 6 because they included some calls on the 4th.

Thanks, Missy!

Do you know which of their computers LE had that showed CM printing out a check to himself from Joey's QB account?

From his own home I mean.

Tia

I don't think they have any computers that show which it was printed from? or at least none that have been talked about in the trial.

The only one that was shown in a cached image was the Feb 4th one, but it wasn't printed. I have attached a snip of that from the trial.

Attachments

• QB feb 4 cached print setup.JPG
    QB feb 4 cached print setup.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics