CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first cashed cheque was on Feb 2nd. We have also heard from the fraud investigator at the bank, I believe there would have been a note on his account if there was suspicious activity. I have also had the same happen, something out of the ordinary, and they froze my account until I talked to them.

He very well could have said something on the 1st. But then it would have nothing to do with the cheque that was cashed on the 2nd. It would have been impossible for him to have known before it even happened IMO

I guess they never got CM's computer that created and printed the check on the 1st to see the history of what he did in QB? I'm wondering if he printed that check and didn't delete it from QB, it would show on Joey's QB balance that the check had been debited from the balance, and maybe that's what Joey saw that put him in a panic and mentioned to Mike. If JM mentioned to CM something funny going on there, CM may have realized he had to delete the check(s) out of QB so as not to alert JM to the theft.

ETA: Did we see anything from QB's own records of what was done on the 1st? I can't recall.

They really do have quite a bit to impeach her testimony, and credibility. Imo.

Imo, she will be looked at as a possible biased witness by the jury since they will learn she has 3 children with this man. So they will know she has a vested interest in the outcome.

At first when she told them he had received a call that night she didnt know at that time they would have records of all calls, right?

She only changed it AFTER she was told the phone records didnt support her statement, is that correct?

Imo, if not for the phone records she would have stuck with her first statement.

Imo
Yes she changed her story after they told her the call didn't connect to Chase's phone.

BBM well some think that was Dan the Hacker, who got into the computer that Mikey removed from the house between the 15th and the 19th and backdated the computer to make the entries, after hacking into QuickBooks' servers on the 4th to write and delete that cheque. I think.

And it's just coincidental or unlucky or something that Chase just happened to write a cheque to himself with the same memo line the next day, and delete it, even though he'd never spoken to Dan.

LOL! All of that made my head spin trying to make sense of it all. But I'm not big on complex conspiracies or even simple conspiracies for that matter.

In fact didn't CM tell the police he not only had never met this man, but he believed DK lived in Hawaii?

But now they are supposed to be best criminal buddies in cahoots with each other, where DK is writing checks to CM? LOL!

Imo

I guess they never got CM's computer that created and printed the check on the 1st to see the history of what he did in QB? I'm wondering if he printed that check and didn't delete it from QB, it would show on Joey's QB balance that the check had been debited from the balance, and maybe that's what Joey saw that put him in a panic and mentioned to Mike. If JM mentioned to CM something funny going on there, CM may have realized he had to delete the check(s) out of QB so as not to alert JM to the theft.

ETA: Did we see anything from QB's own records of what was done on the 1st? I can't recall.
Joey was in QuickBooks that week on the contacts account but he didn't log into the custom account that Chase was creating these cheques on until the 4th.

Chase was deleting the cheques within minutes of creating them from the start.

Yes she changed her story after they told her the call didn't connect to Chase's phone.

In other words the only reason she changed her statement was because she was confronted with the evidence, when they told her the call did not connect on CMs end like she had previously stated.

I can see why LE was certainly suspicious of CJ from the beginning as to what all she really knew.

Since Joey had done so much for her, and her children, imo, the day they all disappeared would have stuck in her memory forever. This wasn't some normal daily event in her life. The man who had always been there to lend her a helping hand was suddenly gone without a trace.

Since CM looked at Joey as his best friend did Jarvis ever ask him why he didn't want to get involved?

I see so many true crime shows where it is the best friends who report their friend missing to police.

Just seems odd that CM
wouldn't do everything in his power to find out what had happened to them all.

Did he help handout flyers or help search for them at anytime? Tia

Imo

Joey was in QuickBooks that week on the contacts account but he didn't log into the custom account that Chase was creating these cheques on until the 4th.

Chase was deleting the cheques within minutes of creating them from the start.
BBM, From the Preliminary Transcript i read that it looked like Merritt was accessing the Contact account.
(quote)
A I learned that a user — it showed that Joseph McStay logged onto the account, so that was Joseph McStay’s I.D. and password logged onto the account. And there was a vendor added, charles merritt, all lower-case letters;
Q Why was it significant to you that charles merritt was all lower case?
A When I looked at the Contact account, Charles Merritt was already a vendor in the Contact account. And there were checks written to Charles Merritt in the Contact account. And in that account it had Charles Merritt with a capital C, the rest of the
name of Charles was lower case, and there was a capital M and the rest of Merritt was lower case. In this account it was all lower case and it was a new vendor added.
State of California VS Charles Ray Merritt: Part Four - Transcript of Charles Merritt Preliminary

You're right the call to Chase at 8.28 pm on the 4th shows on Joey's phone records but does not show on Chase's phone records.

Prosecutors suggested in opening speech the call dropped before it made the connection.

So Cathy couldn't have seen it anyway, and it didn't go to voicemail.

I haven't seen it stated anywhere that she gave a time for him coming home on the 4th.
I hope the jury is sage enough to take this all in.So many details and pieces to the puzzle. After listening to the judge state his reasons for not granting a dismissal I think he feels they have plenty of evidence. Moo

In other words the only reason she changed her statement was because she was confronted with the evidence, when they told her the call did not connect on CMs end like she had previously stated.

I can see why LE was certainly suspicious of CJ from the beginning as to what all she really knew.

Since Joey had done so much for her, and her children, imo, the day they all disappeared would have stuck in her memory forever. This wasn't some normal daily event in her life. The man who had always been there to lend her a helping hand was suddenly gone without a trace.

Since CM looked at Joey as his best friend did Jarvis ever ask him why he didn't want to get involved?

I see so many true crime shows where it is the best friends who report their friend missing to police.

Just seems odd that CM
wouldn't do everything in his power to find out what had happened to them all.

Did he help handout flyers or help search for them at anytime? Tia

Imo
Keep in mind CM said Joey would have dinner at his house once or twice a week. Wonder if Joey ever took the boys to hang out with CMs children?

I have from the preliminary hearings -

No. of calls from Chase to Joey after the 4th:

5th - 3
6th - 0
7th - 2 (both at 3.47 pm)
8th - ?
9th - 1 (at 1.07 pm)

No further calls to Joey after 9th.

They do say the total number of calls Chase to Joey after the 4th was 12, so we might assume he called Joey's number 6 times on the 8th (after 1.31 pm because there was no activity on Chase's phone between 7.26 am and 1.31 pm on the 8th), but I haven't seen that number of 6 calls factually stated anywhere.

Sorry to quote this post again and you are all welcome to ignore this.

The 6th is actually really important because by now Chase should be thinking “why hasn’t Joey called me back by now”. So it’s totally unexplainable that he doesn’t ring Joey on the 6th. I would also expect phone calls to Summer and the home landline on the 6th as well because of how much they talk on the phone.

I just want clarification on this point so Joeys final phone call to Chase did not connect?

It does not show on his records. McGee somewhere in testimony, I think it was Hanke could have also been Boles, showed where Merritt's records show 2 calls from Joey at 5:47/5:48 but only shows one on Joey's. After listening to Boles, I am not sure how reliable the cell records are IMO

How many phone calls did Merritt make to Joey after the 4th?

ETA - stupid predictive text!!!

Again, in Boles testimony, he says 12.

I'm guessing they didn't either geevee, I know they took at least 1 computer from Jarvis, or actually her mother I think, we know that from search warrants.

On the 1st, a cheque was added and deleted, it was never printed and there was no editing done on it.

Based on QB's own logs, I do not believe that Joey, if unaware, could have "found" it before the 1st when he talked to Mike.

BBM, From the Preliminary Transcript i read that it looked like Merritt was accessing the Contact account.
(quote)
A I learned that a user — it showed that Joseph McStay logged onto the account, so that was Joseph McStay’s I.D. and password logged onto the account. And there was a vendor added, charles merritt, all lower-case letters;
Q Why was it significant to you that charles merritt was all lower case?
A When I looked at the Contact account, Charles Merritt was already a vendor in the Contact account. And there were checks written to Charles Merritt in the Contact account. And in that account it had Charles Merritt with a capital C, the rest of the
name of Charles was lower case, and there was a capital M and the rest of Merritt was lower case. In this account it was all lower case and it was a new vendor added.
State of California VS Charles Ray Merritt: Part Four - Transcript of Charles Merritt Preliminary

You need to listen to the testimony Karinna... not everything in the preliminary hearing is 100% correct. The Contact and the Custom accounts were 2 different accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54