CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully we will find out because Joey's cell phone called Chase's cell phone at 5.48 pm for over 2 minutes. That means they should have a location for Chase's phone before it went off the grid.

I hope they will also be able to tell whether Joey's and Summer's cell phones were pinging off the same tower. Would there be more than one tower in Fallbrook?

During the last call supposedly from Joey did he leave a voicemail for Merritt when he didnt pick up? How long was that call? I always felt it was Merritt who had possession of Joey's phone so he could make it appear Joey was alive and well.

Ugh there were more red flags pointing toward Merritt than is seen at any large construction site!!!!!!!

Was all of this uncovered once the SB were the ones over the case?

Did the SD police check immediately to see what type of suspicious activity was being done on Joey's accounts and by whom?

Every case I see on ID when anyone disappears that have happened in 2000 and forward that is the first thing they investigate even if they believe the persons may have left willingly at first.

I guess I will never understand why SD did and did not do what they did in their so called investigation. I dont think I've ever seen another case like this when it comes to how SD police mishandled this case and I hope and pray for the sake of all missing and their loved ones it never happens again.

Imo

Last edited:
I thought DuGal's testimony was overall not too bad. He was limited in what he could do.

The huge error is the potential blood spatter on the table.

But the key is, when this becomes a proper murder investigation, its different teams and a different level of professionalism.

BBM: When my DH got home last night, I asked him to take a look at the pics of the table top. He said it looked like the grain of "bird eye maple". He's been a contractor for almost 40 years and has done quite a bit of wood work for custom cabinets and such. Most solid wood "dining" tables have a sealer over the stain to prevent spills being sucked into the wood.
If this had been unstained, natural wood, there would have been a lot of stains, especially with 2 children in the house. You would have seen rings from cups most definitely. I have a solid natural oak butcher block dinning table and it's a bear to clean up if I don't catch spills real quick, just sucks right into it.

Hopefully we will find out because Joey's cell phone called Chase's cell phone at 5.48 pm for over 2 minutes. That means they should have a location for Chase's phone before it went off the grid.

I hope they will also be able to tell whether Joey's and Summer's cell phones were pinging off the same tower. Would there be more than one tower in Fallbrook?
The 548 call intrigues me because I have reviewed the testimony from the prelims and trial and so far I haven't heard anything about where Chases phone pinged. Only that Joey's pinged in Fallbrook and that Chase's phone went off the grid at that time. So if the theory is that Joey didn't make it home and Chase had both phones back in Fallbrook at that time, Chase's phone would also have pinged in Fallbrook..Correct me if I'm wrong but if that's the case it has never been stated. The other option is that Chase turned his phone off, then called it from Joey's phone once he was back in Fallbrook. My question is, if Chase's phone was off and went directly to voicemail but Joey's phone left a long voicemail to Chase, would it have shown up on Joey's call log as a 1 minute call, or would it have shown up as a 2:47 seconds call as is what the records show?

Basically - Do phone records include the call length if you are leaving a voicemail? Or do they just show up as a 1 minute call whether or not you leave a voice mail??

I've been thinking as to why the entire family was murdered. Once Chase harmed Joey, then Summer would have to go as she knew about the lunch. The kids were old enough to talk, so they had to go as well.

Diabolical.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 18m18 minutes ago
#McStay - Everyone is beginning to gather. Should be starting soon. Watch Live: https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/charles-merritt/watch-live-charles-merritt-trial-for-murder-of-couple-and-children/ …

DxIRvBzUUAAa7El.jpg

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Teri Figueroa on Twitter
Teri Figueroa‏Verified account @TeriFigueroaUT 5m5 minutes ago
Teri Figueroa Retweeted Cathy Russon

Today's testimony to start soon in the #McStay trial. http://Lawandcrime.com is livestreaming.

Teri Figueroa added,

DxIRvBzUUAAa7El.jpg

Cathy Russon @cathyrusson
#McStay - Everyone is beginning to gather. Should be starting soon. Watch Live: Watch Live: McStay Family Murder Trial
0 replies0 retweets1 like

I've been thinking as to why the entire family was murdered. Once Chase harmed Joey, then Summer would have to go as she knew about the lunch. The kids were old enough to talk, so they had to go as well.

Diabolical.

I think also Chase hated the kids and Summer we know he know he hated.

I was reading the search warrants somebody posted and Chase obviously thought the kids were out of control and Summer didn’t discipline them.

That could explain why the over kill as well as he had so much rage. built up.

Last edited:
Here's the lie about what he was doing that night.

November 2013:

Now speaking exclusively to MailOnline – just a few miles from the secluded desert location where the remains of Joseph, wife Summer and their sons Gianni and Joey Jr where found last week - Mr Merritt has finally broken his silence.

The last time I spoke to him was around 6 o’clock.

‘It has been reported that I spoke to him in the evening, but that isn’t true. He did call me at 8.28pm, but I was watching a movie with my girlfriend, looked at the phone and decided not to answer.

'When you talk to Joseph it takes about half an hour, so I thought I’d catch up with him in the morning.

‘I didn’t answer that call and I regret it to this day.’
'Prime suspect' in McStay murder mystery breaks his silence | Daily Mail Online

"From 5.48 pm on February 4th to 9.32 pm his cell phone is not connecting any towers. And there are during that time period 1-2-3-4-5 calls between 6.09 and 9.04 from Catherine Jarvis, his wife at the time, to the defendant and Voicemail messages are left. Now the way we know that just looking at the records you’ll also know a lot about cell phones at the end of this trial, is, this gives the geographic location as well as other information for the cell towers that his phone was connecting with. During that time period, during those calls that he was getting from his wife, Catherine Jarvis, he’s not connecting with any tower. It’s actually more than three and a half hour period, all incoming calls appear to be forwarded to Voicemail.

At 9.32 pm he calls Catherine Jarvis and his cell phone connects with a cell tower in Mira Loma which is south of Rancho Cucamonga north of Corona. After that 9.32 pm contact his phone is off the grid until 7.30 the next morning, February 5th."

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/opening-statements.413276/

Thank you oceanblueeyes.

Yes it destroys his old alibi. As well as him calling her from Mira Loma at 9.32 pm - get this - she called his phone 5 times (leaving Voicemails - his phone was not connected) between 6.09 pm and 9.04 pm!
I expect the cell tower location data to be challenged by the defense for technical reasons. There was an issue with the cell towers located in that area durning that time.

I lived in Rancho Cucamonga during that time frame and became aware of the issue due to a dispute with my cell carrier Sprint.

At the time Sprint shared towers with the same carrier as CM had which was Verizon. Beginning in 2009, in up until Sprint terminated my account in January of 2011, the cell towers in the area were malfunctioning, this caused the 3 phones associated with the account to constantly drop and then reconnect to distant towers, this behavior would then register on my billing statement as roaming even though the phone was stationary, which gave the appearance that I had traveled from one area to another.

My Sprint contract allowed for free unrestricted roaming so I wasn’t too concerned since I wasn’t being charged for the roaming and the phones worked well once they were out of the area.

Apparently, this was not okay with Sprint, because in January of 2011 they terminated my service due to excessive roaming which was occurring even though the phones were stationary in RC.

After I received the termination letter I called and spoke with Sprint customer retention, they explained that they were aware of the problem and blamed it on the Verizon towers that Sprint used in the area, but essentially said, too bad, the roaming fees we’re paying the other carriers preclude us from honoring the contract with have with you. I happened to find a copy of that letter and uploaded it for verification.

Attachments

• Sprint Termation Letter.jpg
    Sprint Termation Letter.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 15
I expect the cell tower location data to be challenged by the defense for technical reasons. There was an issue with the cell towers located in that area durning that time.

I lived in Rancho Cucamonga during that time frame and became aware of the issue due to a dispute with my cell carrier Sprint.

At the time Sprint shared towers with the same carrier as CM had which was Verizon. Beginning in 2009, in up until Sprint terminated my account in January of 2011, the cell towers in the area were malfunctioning, this caused the 3 phones associated with the account to constantly drop and then reconnect to distant towers, this behavior would then register on my billing statement as roaming even though the phone was stationary, which gave the appearance that I had traveled from one area to another.

My Sprint contract allowed for free unrestricted roaming so I wasn’t too concerned since I wasn’t being charged for the roaming and the phones worked well once they were out of the area.

Apparently, this was not okay with Sprint, because in January of 2011 they terminated my service due to excessive roaming which was occurring even though the phones were stationary in RC.

After I received the termination letter I called and spoke with Sprint customer retention, they explained that they were aware of the problem and blamed it on the Verizon towers that Sprint used in the area, but essentially said, too bad, the roaming fees we’re paying the other carriers preclude us from honoring the contract with have with you. I happened to find a copy of that letter and uploaded it for verification.
She had to be calling him and leaving Voicemails because he wasn't with her though. Wherever he was, between 6.09 and 9.04 pm, he wasn't at home and he disconnected his phone again after the 9.32 pm call.

I think also Chase hated the kids and Summer we know he know he hated.

I was reading the search warrants somebody posted and Chase obviously thought the kids were out of control and Summer didn’t discipline them.

That could explain why the over kill as well as he had so much rage. built up.

I have always thought Merritt got so much sick twisted pleasure in destroying Summer's children right in front of her eyes knowing she was totally helpless unable to stop him.

I dont think we will ever fully know the depths of evil when it comes to what he made them all endure.

I think it's far worse than any horror movie that could be made.

I truly believe he enjoyed all of the hellish tortuous living nightmare he made them go through.

As I have said several times it takes a different kind of killer from hell in order to have the capability to bludgeon to death two defenseless little innocent children.

Imo

I have always thought Merritt got so much sick twisted pleasure in destroying Summer's children right in front of her eyes knowing she was totally helpless unable to stop him.

I dont think we will ever fully know the depths of evil when it comes to what he made them all endure.

I think it's far worse than any horror movie that could be made.

I truly believe he enjoyed all of the hellish tortuous living nightmare he made them go through.

As I have said several times it takes a different kind of killer from hell in order to have the capability to bludgeon to death two defenseless little innocent children.

Imo

I agree and I have always unfortunately thought Joey and Summer had to endure him killing them in front of them.

It was all part of his sick twisted game after years of having to tolerate Summer and the Kids with Joey always backing his wife whenever he moaned about her or the kids.

She had to be calling him and leaving Voicemails because he wasn't with her though. Wherever he was, between 6.09 and 9.04 pm, he wasn't at home and he disconnected his phone again after the 9.32 pm call.
That's not going to preclude the defense from challenging the cell phone data. They'll contend that if the towers were not working properly then none of the data can be considered accurate, including the time stamps.

That's not going to preclude the defense from challenging the cell phone data. They'll contend that if the towers were not working properly then none of the data can be considered accurate, including the time stamps.
This data came from the FBI. I think, as a juror, I would trust them over what the defense tries to throw at it. If the call at 5.48 logs in two phones at the right time I would argue there is a sound basis for accepting the timeline submissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth