CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 48m48 minutes ago
#McStay - Day 7 in the #CharlesMerritt capital murder trial begins at 9:30am pst/12:30pm est. Det. Tony DuGal will be back on the stand.

DxC5OwVUwAAITdJ.jpg

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

I did want to respond to your post reply to me in the now closed thread.

I am in total agreement that the jurors may be bamboozled by the defense.

For some reason that I can't really explain ....I am always uneasy about any outcome of any CA trial.

Lol! I know this!... they take much longer to complete trials. It makes me worry if any of the jurors will be able to recall and retain important testimony months later but I believe they are allowed to take copious notes so that's good. If any are like me their note taking looks more like a detailed book at the end of trial. Lol

In my own state even high profile death penalty cases on average it's over within 3 or 4 weeks and that includes the sentencing phase if convicted. The judges here believe in working long full days every day without down time.

They are even known to work right through weekends at times. Even on Sundays the judge will have the jury report after church time is over in order to expedite the trial time.

No doubt this case is much harder than it would have been if SD had not believed the family left willingly although to this very day that assumption still haunts me for it never made any logic sense. Imo

Do we know the ages of all of the jurors? Do you know if both sides hired a jury consultant?

I really hope that all of these jurors possess good common sense and logic. CE is revealing and very weighty but if one doesn't have the ability to link each CE fact together that can be a problem for the state.

If there are those like that on the jury then I hope there will be many other jurors that will be able to lay it out succinctly for them where they fully understand it all and how to apply it.

In most all criminal cases Occams Razor can be applied. Most cases are exactly how they appear to be.

Thank you again MrJ for joining all of us as we go through this long trial.

I don't post nearly as much as others in this case but I do read all posts daily and I am continuing to follow this case closely every day of trial.

Jmo

Thanks for the reply and just to focus on this....

Most cases are exactly how they appear to be.

Exactly. I have long held the opinion that some cases are simply too obvious. But in the big cases, everything gets questioned.

If CM was some local punk who was caught some weeks later doing some fraud with JM's credit card for 100 dollars, no one would question he was the killer. Mundane cases like that happen every day.

Ah of course you are correct. I am being a muppet.

It's a bit of a shame the prosecution have to lead on such a weak witness instead of getting to the core of the case
Actually....maybe its a good thing...it looks like they are going chronologically ....almost introducing the characters in the order we were introduced to them back in 2010. Wonder when they will put dk on, if they are going to!?

Do you have a timecode for this (from the YouTube address?

I watched that thing about 3 times now but I missed this

I don't right at the moment, I'm at work and on my phone lol I do believe it is right at the end of the pro's OS, and the videos are broken up by prosecutor and defense, hope that helps.

Can you please develop this a bit?

Some of us are playing catchup so the detail and links to primary dox are appreciated!

The 2nd link is the fantastic group of warrants that'll help refresh anyone's memory of the case (much thanks to SuziQ):

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/mcstay-court-documents-and-warrants.284417/

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/mcstay_warrants.pdf

Edit........been a while and I've got to get a handle on this platform, not used to it!!!

Last edited:
Actually....maybe its a good thing...it looks like they are going chronologically ....almost introducing the characters in the order we were introduced to them back in 2010. Wonder when they will put dk on, if they are going to!?

I can’t see how DK wouldn’t be called. He has vital info on the business and the disappearance as he is also claiming he raised the alarm. I am looking forward to his testimony.

Bringing this over from the last thread.

@Unique posted
My understanding from the prelim in June 2015

JM had two online QB accounts with separate email address, these accounts were stored online with QB

The EIP account was created in September 2004
This was JM main account
“Charles Merritt” vendor account was on this account
JM always paid CM from this account

The Custom EIP account was created in January 2008
From January 2008 until February 1st 2010, no checks were written on this account
All checks during that time period were listed on the EIP account
On February 1st 2010 “charles merritt” vendor was created and checks started to be raised
This did not happen from either of the McStay desktop or the laptop

@Texas Red ... is it possible that you are confusing Joey having these 2 accounts with him having 2 different types of quickbooks accounts, cloud and desktop?

I still have to wonder how CM even got access to the quickbooks? He had to have a login to get in and by the looks of it, he did that before the family was even murdered. I just don't know if CM is smart enough to figure something like that out? lol
No, I hadn’t read the prelim so I was unaware of both accounts being online. I drew this conclusion by listening to the live testimony of the detective, along with knowing one the accounts had originated from 2004, I then compared that to my own experience of upgrading QB’s in 2005 in which I migrated to an online account.

What prompted me to do this was speculation into why JM’s remains were wrapped with restraints and had signs of possible torture, and concluded it may have been done in order to force JM into revealing the new password to the QB account. The reason for the new password, according to speculation by others on this forum, would have been to secure the accounts after JM became aware of CM’s fraudulent access to the account.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 2m2 minutes ago
#McStay - Cross: DuGal showed the border video to the family members and McGyver. He said not one of them said no, it wasn't them.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 2m2 minutes ago
#McStay - Defense attorney Maline asking DuGal about his report regarding the border video. You treated this strictly as a missing persons case as opposed to something else?
DuGal: No
Maline: Did you issue any search warrants after the border video?
DuGal: No

DxDVhpUUUAAwveL.jpg

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

I always forget that Patrick isn't Joey's biological father. They even look alike to me. Makes me wonder- who is Joey's bio father? Have never heard anything about him or from him.
Thank you, I didn't know that. Even with him not being the real dad it seemed like he was closer to Joey than to Mike, who I assume is his biological son.

- 1 - PROSECUTOR'S OPENING SPEECH

INTRODUCTION

Good morning.

How does this family of four disappear off the face of the earth? How does this family of four, a husband who’s running a business, a mom who’s raising her two kids, fixing up a house they just bought recently, how do they just disappear? Just up and gone. Ladies and gentlemen the evidence in this case will show you not only the ‘how’ but the ‘why’, and especially the ‘who’.

The how is that each member of this family that you see here – Joseph McStay 40 years old, his wife Summer, their two kids, Gianni who was 4 years old and Jo jr., who four days before they were murdered had just turned 3.

The how is that they were beaten about the head and face until they died and then they were taken 100 miles away from their home and buried in the desert. They were buried in such a manner that animals tore at their remains. That they decomposed to almost nothing but a set of a few bones.

The why boils down to a basic human emotion – something that we discussed during jury selection – the why boils down to greed. The why boils down to greed and greed’s child; fraud.

And the who is sitting here in court today, Charles Merritt.

The who is the person who while claiming to be Joseph’s best friend was nowhere to be found when it came to calling the police when they were missing. Didn’t call it in.

The who was while claiming to be Joseph’s best friend was forging cheques from Joseph’s business and taking money from him. Putting his hands in the cookie jar.

The who, the evidence will show, is the person whose cell phone activity for significant portions of time during significant days and times around the time of the murder is off the grid. Nowhere to be found. When all other times it’s always found.

The who is the person who desperately tried to cover his tracks after the murders.

The who is the person who in attempting to cover his tracks the evidence will show he misled investigators, he talked in circles and he played the victim.

The who is the person who even after the murders took $5000 from Joseph’s mother under the guise of completing a project and never paid her back.

The who ladies and gentlemen is the defendant. And those lies and that misleading and that talking in circles and that playing the victim worked for a time, for three almost four years.

Last edited:
- 2 - PROSECUTOR'S OPENING SPEECH

BACKGROUND

This is the McStays, (shows photograph).

In 2010 they lived in a town called Fallbrook. They moved into the residence in November of 2009.

Prior to that the family lived for a brief period of time with Joseph’s mother Susan Blake, in the Tom’s Farms area just south of Corona.

Fallbrook is a town that’s south of Temecula, north of Escondido, north of San Diego.

They moved into the house at Avocado Vista Lane near the end of a cul-de-sac, into a quiet neighborhood.

They drove two vehicles.

The green Dodge you see here in the driveway of the residence, the evidence will show was always parked there, and typically Summer drove that vehicle.

The family also owned this white Isuzu Trooper that Joseph primarily drove.

Joseph had a business. The business was called Earth Inspired Products. The business started before 2005 and what they did is sold indoor water features. If a business needed or wanted a water fountain inside of their business Joseph would provide it. He started the business initially with a guy named, you’ll hear about, named Dan Kavanaugh. Dan Kavanaugh was a web guy, created the web page. And the business essentially was a customer would order a fountain, it was already made, and they would basically retail it to the customer.

In about 2006 or 2007 Joseph met the defendant, who fancies/d himself a entrepreneur a welder a designer. And Joseph began building custom fountains. In other words if a business or a residence or someone wanted a particular type of fountain or style of fountain his company would build it. And he began working with the defendant. And the defendant owned his own business called IDesign [?]. So there were two separate entities of the business.

Last edited:
- 3 - PROSECUTOR'S OPENING SPEECH

FEBRUARY 15TH – MISSING PERSONS’ REPORT & FEBRUARY 8TH – IMPOUNDING THE ISUZU TROOPER

On February 15th 2010, that was a Monday, San Diego Sheriff’s Department was notified of a missing persons’ report. That missing persons’ report was called in by Joseph’s brother Michael McStay who had been to the residence on the 13th, the Saturday before, with the defendant.

You’re going to hear from Michael McStay. Mike McStay is going to tell you I went and the defendant pointed out a small crack, the window in the back yard was open, that led into Joseph’s study, he pointed it out and said that he had noticed it before, and no one had heard from my brother, so I went in, and I opened the front door for the defendant and he wouldn’t come in, he wouldn’t come anywhere near the house.

So he waited two days, he thought there was a time period you had to wait when adults go missing, and he waited a couple of days and he called the San Diego Sheriff’s Department and they arrived at the residence on the 15th, that’s a Monday.

Deputy Tingley in the San Diego Sheriff’s Department came to the residence and took the initial missing persons investigation. What was learned was on the 10th of February, that was the Wednesday prior to this, was that a welfare check had been called in by Dan Kavanaugh, from Hawaii. He also went into the residence and took some initial pictures and you can notice from some of these pictures –

there’s newspapers on the floor,​

drawers are out,​

this is looking down the stairway – to the left here is going to be the kitchen – to the right is going to be the living room,​

there’s a table here and some chairs.​

took some photographs of the upstairs bathroom, and you’ll note here on the left is a child’s onesie, several items of clothing on the bathroom counter,​

took a picture of Joseph’s study and this is the window that Michael came through, notice this lamp here that will become important here in a minute,​

this is a photograph of Joseph and Summer’s bedroom, you’ll notice in the photograph this lamp is knocked over.​

After taking these photographs, conducting the initial interview with Michael McStay, deputy Tingley called in detectives. Two detectives from the San Diego sheriff’s department came to the residence – detective Troy DuGal and Suzanne Fiske – came to the residence on that same day, on the 15th February. What they learned through their investigation was that

The last contact anyone in the family, Summer, Joseph, anyone had, anyone, was on February 4th 2010, that’s a Thursday.​

They learned that that week in particular February 2nd and 3rd a mutual friend of Joseph and Summer – his name’s McGyver McCargar – first name’s McGyver – was at the residence helping them paint.​

And they learned that on February 8th the family’s Trooper, the white Isuzu Trooper that I showed you a photograph of earlier was towed, it was towed from a parking lot right across from the United States/Mexico border. SDSD got a hold of the tow company, they discovered that in this parking lot in this shopping centre here in San Ysidro, the car was towed about 11/11.30 on the night of the 8th, that’s Monday the 8th. They learned that the car could have been there as early as 7 am, that security really doesn’t start going around looking for cars that aren’t supposed to be parked there any longer until after the last business has closed which is about 9 o’clock. They noticed it, they towed the vehicle because it wasn’t supposed to be parked there.​

SDSD secured the vehicle and took it to their impound lot.

Here’s a photograph taken by the tow company at 11.01 [pm – dark] on February 8th 2010. The security company or the tow company.

SDSD processed that Trooper including taking what they call swabs for biological material particularly DNA from the steering wheel, from the door handles, from the center console, from the gear shifter. They did that as precaution, again keep in mind they’ve only known about this family for a few days when all this is happening and they’re discovering all this information.

Last edited:
Thank you, I didn't know that. Even with him not being the real dad it seemed like he was closer to Joey than to Mike, who I assume is his biological son.

I agree, it did seem like Patrick was closer to Joey. From what I've read over the years, this caused jealousy in Mike at a very young age, the fact that his bio father loved his half brother just as much as he loved him. I would imagine growing up and not being able to have his own biological children just added to the jealousy. I realize some people may get offended by me saying that, but I don't care. Yes I know Chase is the one on trial, but I also know Mike has had jealousy + anger issues towards Joey since childhood. However, he has always played it off like he and Joey were as close as two brothers could possibly be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rix17