CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I went and looked at were the old Equusearch video's. First, the video just missed a shot of the front door where the stains were! I am not sure it would have been good enough quality to see anyway.

Second, after listening to some of DuGal's testimony again, and looking at those video's, I came to a realization... things that I thought I knew about this case because of what we learned early on, were just not the case!

Here are just a few things that I learned after watching the Equusearch video's, keep in mind, these were done in March 2010...

In the video, Mike says the camera is gone from the pantry. I recall this from early on as an indication that maybe they took it when they "left". In testimony, we learned that LE collected that on the 19th.

In the video, all the beds are stripped. I recall seeing the photo's during testimony and even commenting that I had always thought the beds had been stripped and there were no sheets on the beds. Who stripped the beds and why?

In the video, there are comments about no clothes being there and how strange it was. We can see from the photo's of the house on the 19th that LE took, that is just not true, but where did they go at that point? I thought they didn't clean and do all the laundry until May when they were going to lose the house.

There were other little things, but these are just the one's I recall off the top of my head. It really did make me think that we knew nothing early on, so much was misrepresented.

Steph Watts, the investigative reporter from the CNN Doc on their murder is shooting the video's for Equusearch. Just found that out today.

Another thing I went and looked at were the old Equusearch video's. First, the video just missed a shot of the front door where the stains were! I am not sure it would have been good enough quality to see anyway.

Second, after listening to some of DuGal's testimony again, and looking at those video's, I came to a realization... things that I thought I knew about this case because of what we learned early on, were just not the case!

Here are just a few things that I learned after watching the Equusearch video's, keep in mind, these were done in March 2010...

In the video, Mike says the camera is gone from the pantry. I recall this from early on as an indication that maybe they took it when they "left". In testimony, we learned that LE collected that on the 19th.

In the video, all the beds are stripped. I recall seeing the photo's during testimony and even commenting that I had always thought the beds had been stripped and there were no sheets on the beds. Who stripped the beds and why?

In the video, there are comments about no clothes being there and how strange it was. We can see from the photo's of the house on the 19th that LE took, that is just not true, but where did they go at that point? I thought they didn't clean and do all the laundry until May when they were going to lose the house.

There were other little things, but these are just the one's I recall off the top of my head. It really did make me think that we knew nothing early on, so much was misrepresented.

With regard to the camera in the pantry...

From Steph Watts/Tim MILLER video:

MM: I ran his credit report. Sorry, TRW. [smiles widely] But I had to get — get my brother. [laughs twice]

SW: So this is —

MM: I mean, I don't mean to laugh, but it's just like, you know what I mean? This is like — I took a, I took a — [quickly turns to the pantry] — in here there was a camera. You know, it's missing. Right here. It was right here. It was her camera. [To KA] Remember all the pictures that she was taking? Her camera was right here. So I asked the detectives, I go, "Hey man, am I going to get in trouble if I take anything?" They said no. I said okay, so I took the SD card out.

KA: You know, there's like, there's like twenty SD cards somewhere around here, you know that.

MM: Really?

KA: Dude. Ever since they were born —

MM: I betcha they're in here. [Moves towards office]

KA: — ever since they were born, she goes crazy. She's been going crazy. [Meaning, taking photos.]

MM: Ohhh, dude.

KA: And I was going to — you were going to ask me about that.

MM: Dude! Well, keep fishing. 'Cause you know what? If we can find them, give them to me, I'll back 'em all up, I'll send you guys a USB thing.

KA: Well, my mom said that we shouldn't go through the stuff until, uh, she —

MM: [interrupting] The detectives just told me this is not a crime scene and I can do whatever I want.

@Edmo There is a lot of information out there, but a lot of it is misinformation. Some of it I am learning as the trial goes on. JMO but I wouldn't focus to much on what you read or see.

I don't think they do have any evidence from the home. I don't even know if they have anything in the grave that links to Chase, I would say no based off of the OS's.

Thanks for explaining ocean.

I think it will help the jurors to come to a decision because I believe the average person could wrap their head around a motive for killing Joey of having been caught stealing money, forging cheques, especially with his prior convictions, and possibly being kicked out of the business - but they would find it nearly impossible to find a motive for him killing his wife and children too, unless it was to get rid of witnesses, that is until you hear him speaking about them and then it becomes so apparent he didn't like them.

MM: I mean, I don't mean to laugh, but it's just like, you know what I mean? This is like — I took a, I took a — [quickly turns to the pantry] — in here there was a camera. You know, it's missing. Right here. It was right here. It was her camera. [To KA] Remember all the pictures that she was taking? Her camera was right here. So I asked the detectives, I go, "Hey man, am I going to get in trouble if I take anything?" They said no. I said okay, so I took the SD card out.

SBM

So was the camera there and he took the SD card and now it's "missing"? He may have taken the SD card before the 19th... not trying to be mean, but what a dumba$$, if the police took it, it's not "missing". I really do remember this being one of those things that very early on made a lot of people believe they had gone away on their own.

The one thing I have always found very intriguing about Chase is how deep rooted his animosity and dislike for Summer is.

He absolutely hates and despises her and it’s so ingrained that he can not even pretend in interviews when it would benefit him to pretend to like her.

@Edmo
sorry, meant to put this in my last post - I am not sure how computer savvy you are, but if you go to the top address of the website you are on, where it has https://www., highlight it and copy it, you can then paste it into your post.

okay, I have a question...

Did Joey tell anyone that he was going to fire Chase? I don't mean people that didn't like Chase and thought he should be fired, or thought he owed Joey lots of money, I mean did anyone that Joey talk to on a regular basis know that Joey was going to severe ties with Chase? Joey talked to Patrick lots... did he ever give him any indication of this?

Here is what I'm wrestling with at the moment. Chase did not get much out of Joey being gone after he left. Yes, he stole cheques and wrote them to himself as far we know... but it's not like he kept the business going and made a ton of money on it afterwards, did he? In his DuGal interview, he seems to know that the business won't last long without Joey, so keeping and running the business wasn't his goal, or was it?

@Edmo
sorry, meant to put this in my last post - I am not sure how computer savvy you are, but if you go to the top address of the website you are on, where it has https://www., highlight it and copy it, you can then paste it into your post.

Thanks. I thought we had to use the forum's "link" button, that was what I don't know how to do.

The one thing I have always found very intriguing about Chase is how deep rooted his animosity and dislike for Summer is.

He absolutely hates and despises her and it’s so ingrained that he can not even pretend in interviews when it would benefit him to pretend to like her.

According to Summer's Sister, Summer NEVER liked CM since the day they met. Summer also wanted JM to STOP doing business with him, according to her Sister. This was from the CNN doc I watched earlier and posted earlier on.

@Edmo There is a lot of information out there, but a lot of it is misinformation. Some of it I am learning as the trial goes on. JMO but I wouldn't focus to much on what you read or see.

I don't think they do have any evidence from the home. I don't even know if they have anything in the grave that links to Chase, I would say no based off of the OS's.

Here ya go.

The Inv. wouldn't state they have "enough evidence," talking about the home, to convict him if they didn't have it, IMO.

Did Joey tell anyone that he was going to fire Chase? I don't mean people that didn't like Chase and thought he should be fired, or thought he owed Joey lots of money, I mean did anyone that Joey talk to on a regular basis know that Joey was going to severe ties with Chase? Joey talked to Patrick lots... did he ever give him any indication of this?

Here is what I'm wrestling with at the moment. Chase did not get much out of Joey being gone after he left. Yes, he stole cheques and wrote them to himself as far we know... but it's not like he kept the business going and made a ton of money on it afterwards, did he? In his DuGal interview, he seems to know that the business won't last long without Joey, so keeping and running the business wasn't his goal, or was it?

I don’t think Joey told anybody as Patrick didn’t believe Chase could do this as he said something alone the line of “ Joey trusted him and i trust my son”

I have added the quote

"I have to have faith in Chase because I have to have faith in my son. I believe that (Joseph McStay) trusted Chase and believed in Chase," Patrick McStay said. "Do I think Chase is involved? I don't think so and I truly hope not”

Last edited:

Feb. 10, 2015 CNN interview. First time that I can recall Patrick saying there were problems with Chase. Never heard about the problem until Dan first mentioned it and then Patrick followed.

Snip

PATRICK MCSTAY, JOSEPH MCSTAY'S FATHER: 10:39 a.m. that morning I spoke to Joey on the phone, that everything was fine.

Snip

P. MCSTAY: Morning of the 4th and I spoke Joey on the phone.

KAYE: But he didn't let anything was wrong...

P. MCSTAY: No, nothing was wrong.

KAYE: ... on your last conversation.

P. MCSTAY: You know, everything is fine.

KAYE: In fact things were better than fine. Joseph had just received a big paycheck for one of his fountains, $16,000.

P. MCSTAY: He was going to go to the bank and deposit a check. There was a branch of the bank right there at Rancho Cucamonga by where Chase lived.

Same interview

Snip

KAYE: In fact, Joseph had told his father that he grown increasingly unhappy with Chase's work.

P. MCSTAY: The last year, Joey had talked about the quality of some of that's not because it slipped. And Joey wasn't happy with that. He was upset.

KAYE: Blaming Chase at that point.

P. MCSTAY: Yes, absolutely, because he was getting complaints.

KAYE: So many complaints, Joseph was questioning if Chase should be a part of his business at all.

P. MCSTAY: Joey discussed with me about in getting another welder.

KAYE: Cutting Chase out.

P. MCSTAY: Well not virtually cutting him out, giving him some competition.

KAYE: That competition Patrick says could explain if Chase did it, why he killed an innocent family.

P. MCSTAY: I guess the bottom line to me is money.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Thanks. I thought we had to use the forum's "link" button, that was what I don't know how to do.
Here ya go.

The Inv. wouldn't state they have "enough evidence," talking about the home, to convict him if they didn't have it, IMO.

IMO They can say whatever they want in a press conference though, it doesn't make it true. I was under the impression that they did some testing in the home after the bodies were found, based on that press conference, and other info in the media after CM's arrest. After reading the preliminary hearing transcripts, I don't think I believe that anymore, plus, wouldn't the prosecution mention that in the opening statement? That would be pretty big and I would imagine they would want to get that "out there" right away, and I don't believe they did that. That is why we are hearing testimony about blankets, and futon covers, towels, shoes, bleach stains. JMO

From the preliminary hearing:

Q What conditions about the house had changed, according to them?
A They removed all the property, any leftover property that was in the residence. They changed the entire downstairs flooring. Put in hardwood flooring and changed the baseboards. They painted the walls in the downstairs bathroom and changed the flooring to tile. For the most part, that was it.

There is no mention of doing any testing in 2014 at the house.

The link button is used for when you want to direct link to a website in text... Like this.... the above is from the transcript here.

I think CM had no idea of "keeping and running the business", but he became explicitly aware that his gravy had come to an end, and I think he thought Summer was likely behind it. It seems from everything we've read over the years that CM could finagle his way around Joey and the finances -getting advances, etc.- with aplomb. With Summer -not so much. I think it's one of the reasons he hated her so.

I think when Joey found out that, on top of all the generosity, CM had helped himself to some funds, it was only the straw that broke the camel's back. That camel had had lots, and lots, and lots of straw heaped upon it over many months, mainly in the form of Summer's constant reminders to Joey of his largesse in the Chase direction.

I think he mainly killed JM out of rage and revenge for ending said train, and Summer, well, only more so.

Feb. 10, 2015 CNN interview. First time that I can recall Patrick saying there were problems with Chase. Never heard about the problem until Dan first mentioned it and then Patrick followed.

Snip

PATRICK MCSTAY, JOSEPH MCSTAY'S FATHER: 10:39 a.m. that morning I spoke to Joey on the phone, that everything was fine.

Snip

KAYE: In fact things were better than fine. Joseph had just received a big paycheck for one of his fountains, $16,000.

P. MCSTAY: He was going to go to the bank and deposit a check. There was a branch of the bank right there at Rancho Cucamonga by where Chase lived.

Same interview

Snip

KAYE: In fact, Joseph had told his father that he grown increasingly unhappy with Chase's work.

P. MCSTAY: The last year, Joey had talked about the quality of some of that's not because it slipped. And Joey wasn't happy with that. He was upset.

KAYE: So many complaints, Joseph was questioning if Chase should be a part of his business at all.

KAYE: That competition Patrick says could explain if Chase did it, why he killed an innocent family.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Thanks, and thanks @asyousay !

Aired February 10, 2015 <<< went to see when that was aired. (duhhh you had that up there lol) So he wasn't necessarily going to fire him, but was thinking of maybe hiring someone else that would somewhat force CM to step up his game. Interesting.

See, this to me is more of a motive, I have read that they are not going to call Patrick as a witness(reporter for law & crime), I don't understand that. It could be that there is to much drama surrounding Patrick? to many public comments made by him possibly.

Snip

Snip

Same interview

Snip

CNN.com - Transcripts

The quote from the interview I posted came before this one and I have to wonder why if Patrick is telling the truth he didn’t say this in the first interview?

He doesn’t mention any of this at all and it makes me question if he was embellishing here as this is pretty significant so why the complete 180?!

Also Patrick must of trusted him because they was working on a book together I thought?

One last thing; I believe it was Summer's Sister (From CNN Doc I posted earlier) that tried to warn JM about CM and doing any kind of business with him. She also said Summer didn't like him as well.

According to Summer's Sister, Summer NEVER liked CM since the day they met. Summer also wanted JM to STOP doing business with him, according to her Sister. This was from the CNN doc I watched earlier and posted earlier on.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info. There's no record anywhere of Summer talking to her sister regarding Chase. Also her sister is not in the CNN special, it's Gina Watson who was a vendor contact for Joseph.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info. There's no record anywhere of Summer talking to her sister regarding Chase. Also her sister is not in the CNN special, it's Gina Watson who was a vendor contact for Joseph.

Ok, maybe you will recall this, because we have discussed before that you were on the InSessions forum (or CourtTV)... do you remember a poster that worked for a company that Joey ordered from? I am 99.9% positive that it was Gina.

Joey was a talker, I would expect him to talk to his Dad, out of everyone, about Chase and business issues. I am just trying to figure out where the "Joey was going to fire Chase" came from originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow